Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 214 replies

B

Ok, I'm taking Wheeler's advise and beginning, or continuing this conversation on a new thread.

So June 30th it is! We got a game...I have a very early show of hands from the following victims...

Mieko - (yes - you have to come)
Tiki Kate - (yes)
pdrake - (long drive - short flight - hope you can make it man)
Cammo - (yes)
Buzzy - (yes)
Zaya - (yes)
CheekyGirl - (yes)
4WD - (yes)
TikiDav - (yes)
Ona - (yes)
Moki - (yes)
Clysdale - (where are you man?)
Davez_Tikiz - (Not this time - have fun with the wife man!)
Tmec - (what about you - in?)

If you've never been to a So. Cal Chop Chop, now's the time...love to have you no matter what skill level, or even if you just want to come over and hang...it's all good.

Comments from/to the other thread....

Hey, we would love to see some stone stuff pdrake, bring it on for sure. I will consider, but I'm afraid those girls will really thump up on the locals if I drag um down there...it ain't pretty bro.

It's kind like this...yes, sure, Saturday night is "fight night" at the ole "Bottom's End" down the street on the corner, but those fellas are really pretty mellow the rest of the week...they all just kind of hang out drinking, nursing wounds, and looking out the front window at the street light all night long. Some of those locals (Grovers) are pretty darn smart and all, being able to name off those bugs a committing suicide in that street light like they do....and Cammo, I don't know if they would allow hook knifes or not during fight night? I do know that "box knife hour" is between 12:30 am & 1:30 am....it use to be between the hours of 10:00 pm & 11:00 pm with drink specials, but participants tended not to order many drinks after, so the owner "Tiny" moved the event back to later in the evening.

Never seen the Grover movies, but I would sure like to....I will pm directions when we get closer, I'm about 10 minutes, or so east on the 94 from downtown San Diego

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-06-05 22:16 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 6:06 AM

THE LEMON GROVE KIDS MEET THE MONSTERS is actually three 16mm shorts edited together, blown up to 35mm, and unleashed to kiddie matinees sometime in the late 60s. It's an obvious homage to The Bowery Boys/East Side Kids pictures of the 40s and 50s. Ray Steckler stars (under his then screen name, Cash Flagg) as comic character Gopher, and his resemblance to Huntz Hall (and imitation of him) is right on the money.

The three 16mm shorts are: THE LEMON GROVE KIDS, LEMON GROVE KIDS MEET THE GREEN GRASSHOPPER AND THE VAMPIRE LADY FROM OUTER SPACE and LEMON GROVE KIDS GO HOLLYWOOD. The first episode has Steckler's Huntz Hall clone Gopher and a bogus Leo Gorcey named Slug (Mike Cannon) and their neighborhood pals involved in a cross-country race with a rival gang. This concludes with an attack by a Lon Chaney-like mummy played none other than Bob Burns. The second episode has Gopher, Slug, some other guys and kiddies running into a vampire woman and grasshopper man who kidnap unsuspecting neighbors, putting them in a trance.

The last story has no Slug (sort of like what happened to the real Bowery Boys when Gorcey left), but Gopher, a guitar-strumming Ray Haydock, and some children trying to save a Tinseltown starlet from a duo of bumbling thugs.

Steckler shot the screwball adventures of the Lemon Grove Kids in his Californian neighborhood, mostly in his backyard and in his house, casting friends and family, including his young children. Although they tend to have a "home movie" look (at times they resemble the live action segments of the 60s Three Stooges cartoon show), the sharp editing, capable camera work and colorful antics make this interesting enough as a harmless tribute to old-time comedy, slapstick humor and monster movies. The cast also includes Steckler's then-wife and leading lady Carolyn Brandt.

The year of this title is usually given as 1965 or 1966, but some segments were shot earlier and some later (judging from Gopher's sudden elongated sideburns in the last two shows). People have reported seeing it in the theaters (with the episodes in different order) in the late 60s and early 70s, when they had ushers dressed as monsters running down the isles--namely a mummy to coincide with an added sequence shot specifically for this stunt.

(from the "Psychotronic Index of Film")

I think I know where I can rent this.

B

Cam,

This is very cool indeed! These are a must see for sure...thanks for posting all of this info.

I'm in suckas!!! just had to make sure all my other stuff was pushed off.....so now I'm set!...but man.....the 30th is soooo far away :wink:

B

Can we get a head count for how many are interested in making slip-cast molds? Materials will need to be purchased. I don't have anything to do the demo on, so whoever has a piece to be molded, please speak up. If we've got more than one, I'll demo on one of them, and the others can follow along as we go. Or you can all make your own and I'll just supervise.

Pieces to be molded can be made from sealed wood, oil clay, fired ceramic, or any other material that will not melt like the Wicked Witch of the West when water hits it.

Also, be aware of undercuts.

I'd like them to be the about the size of a mug to expediate time.

I would like to see some pictures of what is to be molded to check them over first, so either post 'em here, or PM me if your the shy type.

The mold making will probably take most of the day, so whoever is going to be involved will probably not get much chopping done.

B

Clysdalle, You can make it bro...it's only a month.

Ok Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

On 2007-05-30 09:17, Babalu wrote:
Ok Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

Best idea ever!

I'll 2nd that! Fantastic idea! Since I missed whole mold/casting in the March Chop Chop. I'm all over this!

I've only got the finishing touches on my first tiki and plan on staining on the 30th.

Kate, I think I'm gonna name the tiki the "Leaf Me Alone Tiki", because I messed with it so much.

Can't wait!

C

That is a GREAT idea. Maybe the front of the mug can have a tiki, the back can have all the TC names of people who've ever attended a Chop Chop in alphabetical order!

Hey, I don't know about you folks but these Chops are way fun, there may be more booze at other events but even the worst parts (constantly getting hit by Clysdalle's flying chips, Aaron getting a sharp stick in the eye, having to drive with my trunk loosely bungy corded down) are more interesting than sitting around a bar ordering a 4th round of rum punch.

Long Live the Choppers!

On 2007-05-30 10:07, Cammo wrote:
..the back can have all the TC names of people who've ever attended a Chop Chop :right: **in alphabetical order.. :left: **

Hey, that works for me! :wink:

Sadly (or not, depending how I look at it), I'll be in Maui on the 30th, so won't be able to attend. Thanks for hosting though, Babalu! Sorry too miss it.

The eye is all better now - thanks to everyone who posted their concern on the other thread. I'm hoping I can make the July Chop.

Cheers,

A-A

C

I say Aaron has to wear an eye patch from now on.

AARRRRon!

B

Done deal then....tribute Chop mug on the way...still have to clean up the studio some first...Dav, I will post pics as I start to rough this thing in.

Aaron, we'll save your 2 mugs for you.

Cammo they say you learn something everyday; here's today's lesson....did you know that Cheetos are highly flammable? Take your lighter to one and see what happens! Flame On! Throw another bag of Cheetos on the fire...ohhh so pretty. These are the kind of important things you'll learn at a Trailer Trash Chop.

Babalu,
I would like to come by and meet you all at the Trailer Trash Chop. I am not currently carving anything, but I am searching for ideas for a pendant for this year's Oasis. I was interested in how TikiDav's slip mold works. Would it be alright if I could come by for awhile? I will bring some Mojitos or Mai Tais. Could you please PM me with directions?
Mahalo,
Shelley

The PBR and twinkies will be flowing at this Chop Chop.
My friend here may show up too.

P

should i bring some stone and my diamond wheels? i know it's not a big thing to people, but if anyone want's to see how that's done i'd be happy to make some pebbles.

B

Damn, I know that girl! Man, she must have hit the big time...having her own doll image and such!

Shelley, we would love to have you here....TikiDav is Kahuna around these parts...you will learn grips, and have fun doing it. Welcome.

Super Cool pdrake! I know I for one am going to be peeking over your shoulder quite a bit...sweet!

Looks like i'm on the maybe list? Will know for sure when we get closer.

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 8:11 PM

On 2007-05-30 19:14, pdrake wrote:
should i bring some stone and my diamond wheels? i know it's not a big thing to people, but if anyone want's to see how that's done i'd be happy to make some pebbles.

I'd like to check it out!

Zaya

On 2007-05-30 19:54, tikimecula wrote:
Looks like i'm on the maybe list? Will know for sure when we get closer.

you're going to bring your sharpener right??? I dropped my 2 inch flexcut right on the concrete garage floor while finishing the skull......damnit!!!! Case of beer on me if ya bring it!!!

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 7:07 AM

On 2007-05-30 09:17, Babalu wrote:
OK Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

Okay then, looks like we've got our man. Post shots of it as you go along, Babalu so we can make sure that it's moldable.

........and what's up with The Lemon Grove Kids, Cam? I've lived here in SD my whole life and have never heard of them. Are they a well kept secret for some reason? I'd love to see the movies, but probably won't have time at the Chop. Where can you rent them?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 1:25 PM

Lemon Grove Kids - Just read the post on page 1 all about them.

I may not be able to get a DVD of them, but I CAN get "RAT PFINK A BOO BOO" on VHS by the same genius of filmmaking, also shot in Lemon Grove in his backyard and some say it is the GREATEST achievement in the art of film ever produced by Grovers. Others say it's the worst movie of all time, but there is simply no accounting for taste.
Either way, it's a must view while in shady Lemon Grove.

And - the best video store in San Diego is Kensington Video on Adams Ave., they have (almost) everything.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 4:39 PM

Here's the progress on my Black Ulua fish -

It's all carved in 1/2 a palm wood log, old stuff and reall brittle, so I gotta be real careful.

First the design -

Trace it on a smoothed down log-

Side view -

Go in with the Japanese back saw to get the fin planes -

Details -

Smooth that fish down -

End view -

It's still got a long way to go...

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 4:53 PM

Hey All,

Major coolness Cammo! You bringing him to the Trashy Bash?

TikiDav just left from posting up over here for a minute. We talked a little about Tonga and all the stuff I missed….I’m bummed, it sounds like everyone really cut it up. I need to try and make the next. Anyway, you Tonga folks f**ked up! Dave only made 2 of these lamps, and none of them sold at the event??….now, there is only 1 left as Babalu got first pick.

Ok Dave, I took about 40 minutes or so after you left to start the first sketch for the “So. Cal. Chop Chop” tribute mug. I will finish this one (maybe tonight – will post) and go on to the next sketch (they will get better)...I only have this real soft oil clay at the moment to play with….it’s a trip! I will get some plaster to mix up for a core on the next ones, and see what other type of oil based clay I can lay my hands on. Lately, I’m kind of into this sea turtle shell headdress look. I will try one without it too. Let’s see, what do we typically get at these Chops…15 people or so? That’s 30 mugs at 2 each…any newbies coming? Babalu has a big kiln.

Trashy events are starting in the “Babalu Chop Area” already…kickin’ it with some crazy locals last night….

Rick, lately all your carvings are looking like the Grinch! Are you from the Geisel family tree? :P

Cam, that fish project is gonna be impressive! Time for you to start your own carving thread! :D

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 5:56 PM

Wheeler,

Humm...Green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am...

Not related, but I did grow up on the stuff...This one kind of looks like the Grinch on LSD.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 6:39 PM

That fish is going to be much more South Seas before I'm through with it. Got some oddball staining ideas up ma sleeve. Ya'll see.

And I think Babs' stuff looks underwatery in a Grinchy kind of way. Mermen and Nemo's Lost City of Mu. Give it some scales, dude! Or a seaweed necktie! Or more teeth - little pointy teeth! You could also weather it a bit when you're done - put some long palm-log cracks in it.... hmmm...

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 9:32 PM

The Babalu mug looks good, Rick. Just a couple of things to consider.

If this one is just a sketch, try using some harder clay on the final piece. It is going to have to survive some man-handling while being molded. Roma Plastelina a good clay to use.

Behind the shell looks like it could get caught in the mold. Try tapering it back a bit for a smoother transition. Either that, or we could leave it as it is and curve the separation line of the mold to fit the contour better. It's a more difficult molding procedure, but certainly do-able.

The shell sticking up above the lip of the mug might make drinking from it a bit of a challenge, (especially after having a few) unless the drinker uses a straw. I dunno. What do you guys think?

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 6:47 AM

Hey Dav,

Thanks for the critique, but this one is going to get bagged...just want to get my hands oily with something.

Will keep posting so that you can keep checking for undercuts. Where do you buy your oil clay at here in SD? Free Form is suppose to have our plaster in today. I'm going to pick up a couple hundred pounds at lunch if it came in on the truck...going to grab some slip too. Your using all cone 04 slip on your other lamps right? Don't have any low fire glazes right now, so I will also pick up some different stuff to do a test firing with, or a least get a new catalog to see what's available.

For the next one...let's see, Cammo wants sharp teeth, and I think wheeler wants it to be a little less Grinchy, any other requests from you Choppers?

PS. If you guys have any images of past art that you would be interested to see turned into a mug, please post._____________

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-06-04 07:08 ]

T

On 2007-06-04 06:47, Babalu wrote:

PS. If you guys have any images of past art that you would be interested to see turned into a mug, please post._____________

Someone had once suggested making Oki Doki's head into a mug. I always thought that was a great idea since he was born at the Oki Oki and has sort of become the unofficial Chop mascot.

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 8:45 PM

Hey Babalu, you can get Roma clay at Aaron Bros. Any other oil clay that's worth a dang you'll probably have to order. I have some extra Roma you can use and some other harder clay if you want to give it a try.

And yes, I'm using cone 04 slip for the lanterns.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 8:59 PM

Clysdalle doesn't like my Oki Doki, but I got a suggestion - do a totem pole mug of all our Tikis! It could be tall and thin, don't go too crazy on the detail, and do faces on both sides, say three to a side on top of each other. I'D LOVE ONE OF THOSE! You wouldn't have to worry about names etc.

Or is that too 'tall' an order?

LOL, Dave! Nice event poster. "It don't cost nuthin'" That should be in the title of this thread! :P

I like Kate's idea, the reasoning behind it.

Yeah, I was kind of worried my tiki would become the "Mascot" of the SD Chop Chops, that's why I worked on it Memorial Day Weekend. (Sorry Cammo!)

I do like the idea of adding an element of each of our tikis to the mug, but I'm okie-dokie with whatever the decision/result.

I'm also on board with possibly disregarding the names on the mugs. The fact that participants in the SD Chop Chops will be getting 2 "commemorative" and "limited edition" mugs is fine with me. :)

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 8:29 PM

Very, very cool flyer Dav!!

Well, I've re-thought this 2 mug free thing over a little after PM-ing with a few folks out there....I think a good thing to do would be to make "one" mug (no charge) for all those folks that will be at the Chop, and also for those few regulars that have been to past Chops, but can't make this one for some reason....In addition, I want to cast some extras that (if they turn out ok) we can try to sell on eBay or whatever....the benefits of the sales of these mugs can go to help start up a "Chop Kitty", or "Kitty Chop" how ever you want to look it. There are a few things that we have all talked about doing at past Chops like an eventual "Camp Out Chop", or a "Beach Party Chop"...we can use any funds that we might get from the sale of these extra mugs towards something like this. I hope that's cool with you all? Again, we are going to build the plaster mold for this mug at the June 30th Chop, so finished mugs more than likely won't be available until the following Chop.

Hey good news! My Uncle Joe and his pet coon are coming....that damn animal just loves Twinkies!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 9:32 PM

I like the idea of selling a few as a fund raiser, and I think some of the money should go towards defraying supply costs if people are doing demos.
Who wants to watch the money? Are we starting to become big enough that we need to organize ourselves more like a club? President, Treasurer?

B

Sounds good Mieko...I vote Clysdalle for something...he just looks trustworthy to me.

Uncle Joe can't keep anything to himself....just found out that the whole park is buzzing about free Mad Dog & Twinkies now.

M
Moki posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 10:04 PM

I vote "no" to the club idea. Sorry Meiko :)

The thing that is fun about this group is that there is no leader. It's a very informal gathering of a bunch of friends. When you start electing presidents and treasures, ego's and politics start to come into the mix and it's no longer any fun.

Let's just chop, mold and cast..... I'm happy to contribute financially to help defray any costs borne from the mug making.

Just my 2 cents!!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 10:58 PM

I vote Mieko for Treasurer. Everybody knows she's the gal from Planet Nice, and I hear she knows a penny from a dime.

Clysdalle, well.... um.... ah...

H

Chet here checking in...

I'm a maybe. I'd love to make it since I've missed the last two so we'll see. I did just make my first sale last weekend though. :D

Bill, I still need to strip those logs... :P

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-06-06 11:34 ]

Hey, I got your invite Via Email and fully intend on attending this, but........where am I going? I don't really need directions, just an addy.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 3:45 PM

Hey BB...whoever emailed you, I'm glad they did...we would love to have ya man! I will PM everyone that's coming with my address in a few weeks as we get a better count on attendees. I have been getting PM's from several new people that are coming this time around...very cool!

Chet...hope you can make it bro...we missed you at the last one.

Well, the word on the TT Chop is really starting to spread around the trailer park like wildfire now that Uncle Joe found out...It looks like Agnes is in...she's bringing Rice Crispy Treats and Tang. She has some kind of Rum - Tang thing that she's made up?

I love Tang! As I kid I craved Tang. Now I drink the Sugar Free canned Tropicana Orangeade. It tastes like Tang. Go Aunt Agnes! Go!

Dang! I caint make it but sure as shit I'm gonna call my cousins & see if they can.

C

hahaha.....this thread cracks me up...just got back from NJ for work and this thread was a good morning laugh....

I'm down for cams mug or whatever else...it's all good whatever we make....

a though on moki's group feedback...while I agree that sometimes that can happen, the fact is if we are being used for events under the SD chop chop group name...we are a club already. I'm proud to be a member of this sorted group...so I second Mieko as treasurer and spam distributor :wink:

and babs that pic of the eyeball cracks me up....I need to get that website of the makers again...

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jun 7, 2007 4:11 PM

Hey, i likes them Twinkies and all, but, well, i was just thinkin' on it, slow like, an corn's just starting to get in season now, so...

HOW ABOUT A CORN ON THE COB EATING CONTEST?!

Shuck 'em, boil 'em. Butter 'em, salt 'em, an Babalu can be judge. Line 'em up. Tie on the feed bag. Ultra-pros can do 3 cobs at once - the pictures alone would be worth the stomach ache.

How about it, Cly, you got da juice? You put your mouth where your mouth is? You gonna step up or WIMP OUT? You a man or a CANDY-MAN? C'mon, lets get CORNY!

T

On 2007-06-07 16:11, Cammo wrote:

HOW ABOUT A CORN ON THE COB EATING CONTEST?!

C'mon, lets get CORNY!

Bring it on. I'm incredibly CORNY.

:D :D :lol: :lol: :roll: Oh my.. made me giggle

Yee Haw It's Chow Time!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 214 replies