Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 214 replies

H

I really love that Duke mug. :D

B

Hey Choppers,

Glad you like the Duke HB…it will be cool to see ya again man.

It’s getting real close now!!

I just made up some cottle boards which will be used to support the plaster. I will coat the boards well with Polyurethane in the morning, and we will also coat them with some Vaseline on Chop day as well to make sure that the plaster releases ok. This Chop is going to be great fun guys…I think that we will all learn a great deal at this one. If you are a newbie and are having thoughts on coming…please do. We would all very much like to see some new faces at these Chop Chops. Again, you can work with any type of medium, or just come to hang out with us…That is what this whole thread is about…meeting some new folks.

The trailer park is now on red alert….everyone is scrambling to get everything in order…”Party Down” is on the minds of all!!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 29, 2007 6:57 AM

I just invited this guy to the Chop. Don't know if he's coming, but his work is AMAZING - he was actually carving at the last Oasis! He has a huge, crazy detailed piece at the Del Mar Fair this year. Am I totally nutz, or has he never heard of TC before? He doesn't post, does he???

http://www.oceania-art.com

Laytah

H

I'm in. :)

C

Holy Ka-molie! This Mr. Howell guy is coming! He said YES. Check out his website above!

And his name is MR. HOWELL! Sound familiar? Could it be THE Mr. Howell?

See ya Sat.

B

Wow...ahhh....WOW!! This guy is a major talent for sure!! Good going Cammo! We need to hands down post him up front and center. It will be wonderful to meet this man.

last minute plans came thru my brother-n-law and myself would like to come to the chop. we would like to learn the basics to carve tiki's, what should we bring to get started? sorry about the late post.

Sam, bring whatever you have in the way of tools and materials. I you don't have any, don't worry, we tend to share. :)

Babalu, how hot was it today? I'm figuring it'll be 85 tomorrow? And any suggestions of food type stuff to bring to compliment the menu? :D

B

Hey, Hey, Hey¡K.

Tomorrow's the big day!!! Wheeler, it's going to be a perfect day! 78..cloudy in the morning (yes) and sunny in the afternoon. Wow, we are going to have people making all kinds of art, all over the place!!! How cool is that!!

Food? Bring what you want to, everything tastes good with hot dogs...so, I'm serving up hot dogs, chips, dip, and Twinkies. I have some water, case of soda, case of beer, bottle of rum, la-la-la... I would bring a little more booze if you want to be nice and happy as the evening wears on. If your going to drink and use power tools, make sure you get good and toasty first, so you won't feel the pain so bad when you cut your thumb off! Buzzy is going to school me big time on safety for saying that!. I can hear him now.

Meiko is bringing her most cool pop up. If someone else has one to bring that would be cool.

Can't wait!! Fun,Fun,Fun!!! I saved my trailer for last; she is all clean up and ready to boogie down. See you all in the morning.

B

PS. If you have any CD’s you want to share with us all bring um, or bring your iPod…I’m all set up to hear your play list…Cammo has already left some good tunes. Also, bring your camera if you have one. Peace out.

my brother-n law totally flaked on me but i told my dad about it and he's stoked about learning how to carve , so you have a father and son duo coming. iv'e got tools , stocked ice chest, canopy for a one who wants shade,chairs, the only thing i'm missing are a couple of logs for me and my pops. i just found out today i was able to go. can anyone help us out with a couple of logs . sorry for the late notice.

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2007-06-29 22:50 ]

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2007-06-29 22:51 ]

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2007-06-29 22:52 ]

B

Hey Cannibal,

I've got one 3 foot Mex Palm that I can toss to you...got some other smaller cuts of olk and pecan too. If anybody else can throw something into the mix for newbies that would be mighty cool of you...I don't think we will need much. Let's give um a taste of the good life!

Perry and I are taking off in a few minutes. We should be there around 10ish.

Cammo said someone might need logs so I was bringing these five pieces:

See you guy a little after 10.

Buzzy Out!

GREAT chop today, Babalu! Thank you for your hospitality. It was great meeting everyone and I thank you all for the direction and good conversation. I'm really looking forward to the next chop! Thank you for the initial invite, Cammo!

C

That was a GREAT Chop, I'm tired, everybody post pics! That was the streamlined Cadillac-pulled silver bullet mint condition trailer of trash chops!

The hot dogs!

The Buzzy advice!

Dav and Babs in da garage!

Corn!

The Blue Arm!

Spam musubi!

the BABA-LUAU!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 8:13 AM

Whoa….That was a major bitch’n day that was!

Thanks you guys for hanging out…good times…good times…

The coolest part was that we had several new attendees to the Chop this time, and man, those cats are hooked! There was some “Top Shelf First Tiki” that was brought into the world yesterday. It looks like the San Diego Chop Chop has just grown in number.

Huge welcome to you new guys!!

Please someone post pictures soon. I’m dying to see-um….Dave and I were so busy in the shop yesterday that all I got was a few mold progress shots.

I say it once more, and boy howdy does it does ring true….

“We all have one thing in common...that is a love for art, and that art has a tropical breeze that blows around it.”

Peace out,

Babalu

H

Babalu, thanks for such a great time, food, music , friends. I had a great time. Cheekygirl, thanks for taking me all the way home, you saved my day. Cammo, I hope I wasn't too pushy but I loose control when I am around music!!??!.Buzzy I loved your house and dog. Hot dogs were great, and so was everyone else. Hope to see you all next time.

A great time! As usual, I didn't get much work done, but hey, I can do that any old time. :wink:

Some thoughts: Babalu's got a funky cool home, eclectic art, and a nice family! New guys ruled the day. Mold-making takes forever. Lemon Grove ain't too bad! Steamed hotdogs!!!

What a great time yesterday, im looking foward to the next chop, my pops already bugging me about it. we couldn't stop talking about what a great bunch of people we had the pleasure of meeting yesterday . thanks again for all the adive on how to carve. my pop's and i are hooked , we are heading out to go buy our tools of the trade today. more tools, oh yeah !!! hot dogs, mai tai,tikis,and a cool breeze what more could you ask for.

M
mieko posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone for such a great day! Had a wonderful time!
I've put up all the pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/miekos/TrailerTrashChopInLemonGrove
Here's a couple of highlights

I have to mirror everyones sentiments, I enjoyed meeting everyone there, learned quite a bit, and intend to participate as much as possible.

Babs, you are a great host and I understand how tough it was for you to try to be all over the place when you and Dave were taking the frontline on the mold making, but you did a marvelous job! The Hot dogs and all the chow was great, the layout was well planned, and everyone seemed right at home.

Dave was a wealth of information on the mold process, thanks to you for all the time you put into it, I know you peaked my interest in the concept to the point I'll want to get my hands into the white stuff for certain (no, not that white stuff!).

Cammo, well, lets just say you are a kooky dude, I like your style! You are there for comic relief, right? Just kidding bro, If it wasn't for your sense of humor and good nature I might not have been compelled to make the trip!

Pdrake you're Jade work was very cool, at some time I'd like to bring some pieces of Malachite or Hematite I have and pick your brain on what to cut. I was wondering however, why I don't look like the kind of person that would get into Tiki's, I don't do bar-room fighting anymore, and I cleared up the arrest records and warrants? JK!

Clydesdale you are a very cordial dude, and at the next chop you won't hear any excuses from me, I'll chop!

4WDTiki, I really want to thank you for your candid and straightforward help, your approach to Tiki's and the folks that cut them will have far reaching influence on how I carve in the future for sure. And thanks for pushing me to produce some sweat on the log you gave me, I'll post pics and it will be my first Tiki. Look forward to the next one at your place Bro.

Buzzy, what can I say......The Diligent chopper! You might just be my new Hero! For those of you that don't know, Buzzy filled my truck with logs before I headed back home, and showed me his home turf, what a bitch'n view!! I have to say, the wood chips strewn out over the ground, inside the house, Tiki's encased in glass, lined up everywhere...sheer inspiration! I owe you brother, big time! You know it, I know it!

And for everyone else that I met and chatted with, learned from, and enjoyed your company and works, thank you too! I sincerely enjoyed myself and won't regret the trip!

(P.S. I'll post he pics by the end of the day, the "Honey-do" list beckons me right now!)

The Birdman

M
Moki posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 1:11 PM

The trailer park was quite impressed with the turnout for the Chop. Babalu-you know how to throw a party. Thanks for all the hard work.

Lots of stuff going on all day. I Didn't manage to take many pictures, but I did capture the best part. The eating of the corn. We all gathered at the kitchen window of Babalu's home for some great ears!! The pictures tell the story.

H

Great Chop! Babalu, thank you for hosting, you have a great setup. Good luck with that trailer too, that's quite the undertaking!

I'm glad I was able to make this one. Although I didn't do much, I was ok with just checking out everything that was going on. It was good to see the familiar faces and to also meet some new ones.

All of my pictures are here, and are out of order.

Here are some of the mold making process...

Sizing up the mold.

Filled halfway with clay and ready for plaster.

Tikidav poured the plaster into both molds.

We were all a little confused why they insisted on drinking some of it... :D

Half way there.

Checking depth.

All dry and ready to extract.

They needed to be cleaned up and prepped for the next step.

This one needed to be 3 parts so Tikidav made a wall and went around the logo.

Here are Tikidav and Babalu working hard. The rest are in the almbum.

Oh, and our Mascot of the day.

See everyone at the next chop!!

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-07-01 13:54 ]

T

Man, wish I could've been there...daughter picked up a cold so we couldn't go...maybe next year?

H

On 2007-07-01 14:13, thegarz wrote:
Man, wish I could've been there...daughter picked up a cold so we couldn't go...maybe next year?

Or.....next month. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24659&forum=17&3

T

This was definitely one the best Chops ever. (Although I wasn't terribly productive.)

The mold making was certainly the highlight of the day. Dave and Rick - This was absolutely wonderful.

Babalu - Thank you so much for hosting.

Cammo - The corn was excellent. Salt and lime. I'm tellin' ya.

Moki - Thanks for the fabulous corn pictures. I've got my new background for my computer.

Chet - Great job documenting the mug making.

Mieko - Great job documenting OnaTiki. Every hour on the hour. :D

It was good to see everyone and to meet so many new folks.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 7:56 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.