Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 214 replies

B

Nice job on the House of Buzz narration, Rick. Didn't recognize you at first. Ever considered a career as a radio DJ?!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 7:50 AM

Whoever comes up with the best caption for this picture wins a BRAND NEW MAJOR AWARD!

Anybody can enter!

The Award is Major! You'll get it in the mail!

On 2007-06-21 07:50, Cammo wrote:
Whoever comes up with the best caption for this picture wins a BRAND NEW MAJOR AWARD!

Anybody can enter!

The Award is Major! You'll get it in the mail!

Q: What's wrong with this picture?

A: The Pickup Truck isn't up on Blocks!

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 9:37 AM

"House For Sale - Free Delivery"

Zaya

B

Thanks Doc!...."That looks more C'thulonic than Physaliaic"....uhhhh...yeah,... that's what I'm a sayin!

Dave, Me – Radio DJ??...noooo, sorry man...when I grow up, I want to sell "Tiki Dogs" out of a cart down by the beach. Babalu Babe no. 1 isn't convinced that I have what it takes to call them "Hottie Dogs".

We all had a special treat last night....ole' Cammo bounced into the Park bearing gifts. Even Emily Jane ran out of her trailer thinking it might be Dave. Cammo brought the real Oki Doki carving along for reference. He picked up some tools and started knifing on Oki Doki there himself, and I think it's turning out super great! It's taking on the Cam look. You can really see the sharp angles on the carving that you can't see on those drawing. Can't wait to have you back for round two Cammo!...,and you fellow choppers,...Cammo here has been holding back some serious skill levels on us...ask to see his water color sketch books sometime.

Cammo brought along one of his "very cool" children's books to give to the "Bird". You really did a great job with this book Cammo!!...I am very impressed! I will very much enjoy sitting down with my new grandbaby and reading this to him.

Got a phone call late last night....SURPRISE!!....Scooter Johnson and "Thunder" found out about the Chop and they will be making a special appearance. We won't be able to see Thunder's main trick, as we have taken the high dive out of the pool and drained it. All of us here in the Park have all been saving our beer cans...there in the pool, to help fund the next Christmas Hop. Thunder will be giving rides between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Line up....no biting.

Kiva heard that there might be other dogs coming, so she decided she was invited too. She was afraid that she might not fit in, her being a coastal gal and all, so we fashioned her up as a coon dawg:

It even looks mullet style:

She should fit right in now...

Buzzy and Kiva Out!

B

Dang y'all! Cam's book looks right exceptional! That with Buzzy and Babalu bein' in the motion pitcher bizniz, who else out there has been a holdin' back on us with their talents? HUH?

What a Kooky bunch! Count me in, I got my ex-wife to watch my son so I'll be there as long as I have an addy or a clue. And I'll be happy to throw in the pot for any costs, just let me know. I was going to come down on my cycle, but if there's a chance anyone will sell off a pole or two, I'll bring my truck. Does anyone do that?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 22, 2007 9:22 AM

I like this TBird, he's ENTHUSIASTIC! And he can spell 'Kooky'!

Hey TBird, post some pictures of your bike!

Does it look like this ? -

Or this -

Or like this?

Or is it one of these?

Or am I way off? Is it like this?

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-06-22 09:53 ]

B

Your a riot Cammo!!

Welcome to the Chop T-Bird! Love to have ya....if you bring your bike, you will get a better parking spot for sure.

Getting logs to be able to pass out at the Chop may not be possible. As you must know by now, it takes some doing to land-um, but it is totally do-able. Call some tree removable people as this seems to be the best approach...the tree dudes have to pay to get rid of their cuttings as they can't dump them at the main dump. When you call them, offer to show up at the cutting site with beer, or money, or both...that will raise an eyebrow.

But even if you don't have a log...no worries man...there will be plenty to do. Many people carve smaller with knifes on smaller pcs. of wood. I have some knifes you can try out if'n you have a small hunk of any kind of wood and want to give that a go. Historically, many have come to the Chops to draw, paint, play with clay, anything goes!

At this Chop, I will have a huge 12' x 4' sturdy table set up in the shade for those that need table space...a big ass 20' car port tent with sides will set up in the drive for "dangerous" chain saw action...It's great fun to watch 4WD, Cysdalle, Ona, and Buzzy turn on the action. They make carving with a chain saw look as easy as blowing out birthday candles...you will learn mucho from these fellas. Dave and I will more than likely be playing with plaster for most of the day in the studio with people coming in and out watching the goings on. I am also planning to cut up some pvc armatures so that those who wish can play with some of this oil clay can do that as well. It is totally possible that many will start off in one medium and move to another just cause. We might even have someone playing in stone this go around. I will be PM-ing all those that are coming with directions sometime next week

Bottom line is we have all walks of life that show up to these Chop Chops, but we all have one thing in common...that is a love for art, and that art has a tropical breeze that blows around it.

Buzzy - Kiva the carving wonder dog is the coolest!! Do you think she can give my poohie some training in shop safety, and the proper way to hold a chisel?

I have plenty of room for the doggies to run and scream, but you may want to keep-um away from Joey here...you see that trailer in the back ground?...it use to have tires...Joey ate-um!

Thanks Babalu, I will be on the prowl for wood here, but I more than likly will simply act like a sponge watching and soaking it in down there. Cammo, my bike isn't the chop-per style these days, I have to have tunes when I ride so I'm on my 3rd Gold Wing, but down the road I was planning to build a custom for kicks & giggles. Unfortunatly the "Honey-Do" list just keeps getting longer & in the way of all the stuff I have on my "Wanna-Do" list! But this is my current ride.

B

Hey, T-Bird nice going man! You have a real nice start going on there with the little guy. I think you will enjoy playing with some of these different Flexcut knifes quite a bit.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jun 22, 2007 9:37 PM

T-Bird that's a nice bike but I think you should trade up next year and grab one of thoe Dodge Tomahawk V-10s:

Hey Babs - you think T-Bird is THE BIRD? Or is it just a coincidence? I mean, think about it!

I got this picture in my head of T-Bird straddling a Tomahawk V-10 with Babalu Babe #2, getting to the hospital in 2.7 minutes.

Man, how did you know what I wanted for Christmas?! I'll tell the wife she can find something else for me.

B

Well only one week left Choppers, and I have to jump out in the yard pick up all the old tires and beer cans before I can cut the grass for the big event….so, I thought I would toss you all a few progress pictures on the “Man of War” – Chop Chop Mug….I still have some to go yet, but this should give you an idea on direction. The top is removable. Dave, I know it’s kind of hard to judge from these pictures as far as the mold goes….I will toss better ones out, maybe tomorrow. Cammo came over and whisked off Oki to finish up…Yeah, Cammo!! You got what it takes Brother! The guy’s a natural carver.

Okay, the Park’s pride and joy…Posted up right up in front by the entrance, in space A1, is a 1946 Great Western Trailer. It’s 18’ long and it sleeps 6…4 inside and 2 on the reinforced roof. All aluminum. It’s one of only 2 made and was featured in the Ray Milland movie of 1948 called the “Big Clock”…..Sweetness…we all want it.

B

At this juncture, t'ain't even a week away accordin' to mah speculations. Git yer Tiki carvin' selfs on down heayah so's I kin show ya'll mah down home shotgun carvin' technique!!!

YA HEAYAH ME??!!

B

Shot Gun Carving!! Yeah Baby!!

Okay, did a little cleaning today…who loves ya? I haven’t heard too much response on the Man of War mug as the official SDCC give away mug, so I decided to start up another mug as well…I think I have time for one more. I will let the Choppers choose between the two as to which one will win the honor. This is also a progress shot…I think I will call this one “Uke”. This little dude will be playing a ukulele. Not sure if there is already a Uke? I don’t know my mugs that well…anyway…change topic…Several people have asked me about a close Hotel now. We have some folks that are planning to come from as far away as Las Vegas, The Bay Area, and Palm Springs…The best I could do on the “cheap” is the Value Inn down the street, It’s clean…$75. + tax per night…It’s within spitting distance of the bar and fight night for those with guts. The phone number is 619-462-7022 – address: 7458 Broadway in Lemon Grove. No matter where you stay in San Diego, I will make sure that you make it to your room, or home safely if you don’t want to drink and drive.

Table work area set up…

Hot dog Stand is primed and ready…chain saw tent up.

Plaster Demo area.

Additional clay working area…and plenty of carving area out back.

Here is my baby girl, as you can see, the Bird wants out! I would not be a bit surprised if I had to hand the keys to the house off to you guys, and rush this one off to the Hospital on Chop night…cross your fingers that that doesn’t happen.

Dave, some hair brush salesman was slinking through the park today and he was a taken special notice of Emily Jane…even got her to let her hair down…Your safe man…dude had no bowling shirt. He didn’t even get a sale.

C

Welcome to Lemon Grove!

As you enter the city, the first thing you'll see on your left is this beautiful suite with attached parlour open to all who are new to the Grove.

Please take advantage of the other facilities, accomodating groups of up to 55 happy visitors!

If you're interested in other lodging, here is the Cammo Listo of Cheapo San Diego Hotels;

Lafayette Hotel
2223 El Cajon Blvd. 619 296 2104 or 800 468 3531
San Diego’s big getaway resort in the 1930’s, it’s a bit run down now but still swanky. Johnny Weismueller designed the pool. The Red Fox Room is their original retro steak and highball club downstairs, now a piano bar, the décor was imported from a 16th century English castle! (Hunting the red fox, get it?) Check out their website.

Premier Inns, 2484 Hotel Circle South 800 711 6676 or 619 291 8252
This is a huge, 4-story slightly run down 60's hotel. Similar to Red Roof Inn, has a nice small pool.

Vagabond Inn, 625 Hotel Circle South 800 571 2933
This is an old 60's Tiki A-frame hotel. In very nice shape, tropical, has 2 pools!

Travelodge, 1201 Hotel Circle South 800 578 7878
This place has a classic steakhouse and piano bar attached; it's a huge, clean hotel.

Welcome Inn Motel 1550 E. Washington 619 298 8251
Beside San Diego's trendy Hillcrest area, and directly across from a 50's diner. This place is a Spanish-style 1920's hotel on a small hill overlooking the roadway. Bright, breezy, slightly worn, but the best deal in town. $60/night for 1 bed, $70.00 for 2 beds.

California Suites Hotel $105.00/night
5415 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. 800 562 2217
Beautiful little gem with a tropical theme. Beside Hwy. 805. Actually has Tiki masks at the front desk, water fountains, pool, very quiet and clean. Nice place. Ask for Matthew, the manager.

Balboa Park Inn $99.00/night
3402 Park Blvd. 619 298 0823 or 800 938 8181
Beside Balboa Park, a little cottage style place with just 16 rooms. Decorated with antiques, special theme rooms, San Diego’s secret little honeymoon hotel. Every room has a different price, but $99 specials are still available.

Laytah.

Babalu, time to give us the info! Directions, time, etc.

And maybe a list of everyone coming?

B

Wheeler, Will get it all together tonight after work. The boss keeps coming in looking at my screen.

Hey man, how about we carve us a trailer this weekend?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 4:27 PM

Ya know that big stump down there by that new highway the State put in last year? That stump what used to be the big Tilden Tree? Well, you go left there. Then you take a right when ya hear the chickens squalking off at the McNeary Farm, not the farm road, but the swamp road right before it, the one with that bicycle seat in the ditch next to the sawn-off driftwood pole. Take that swamp road down, right into the damp part where it turns right again.

Here's the hard part, you gotta watch for the third old tire on the left. Not the second, if ya take that you'll go right in the quicksand. The third has a big crack across the bottom. Go around the tire to the left, there's no road here but you drive a hundred or so yards and it meets up with Old Route 60. Three miles, it's on yer right. Easy.

Bring yer best moonshine, and no revenue men allowed!

Cammo, you're a nut! I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you folks, I've taken a little time (who am I kidding, a LOT of time!) to look through a few galleries of work here, and without question there is an IMMENSE talent base and some incredible creative minds (ok, line up and here's your cup to pee into, wash your hands afterwards please.).

Babalu, what a coincidence, you mentioned the tree trimmer source, and as I was taking my son to Michaels to get him a model to build, I ran into some tree guys, inquired a bit and came away with a few smaller cuts of Eucalyptus. They are freshly cut (2 days) and damned heavy for 20"-24" cuts. Any suggestions as to time to let them dry out and has anyone had any trouble using this type of wood?

Oh, and I didn't say thanks to you Babalu for the comment about the little guy in the helmet. He is 1 of 2 that I'll call "Salt n Peppa" because they are just that for my wife, she hates the plain glass shakers in the kitchen, here they are as of now.

And before I forget, what time is the chop figured to start and finish, so I know when to start the 130+ mile trek?

The Birdman

130 miles?!? I hope that's not one-way! Where the heck do you live?
I don't think that euc will be ready to carve this weekend, but I'll try to round up a piece of palm for you.

H

151.2 miles for me!!!! Ayyyy yay yay...

Yep brother, I'm in Arcadia near the Santa Anita race track, but I drive for a living so thats not the hard part, it's the gas milage my truck gets thats the kick in the wallet! But come hell or high water, I'll be there! I mostly plan to meet folks, learn a few things from all of you, who I will heretofore label as "my Sensei's"

(Sensei (Sensei) is a Japanese title used to refer to or address teachers, professionals such as doctors and lawyers, politicians, clergymen, and other authority figures. It is also used to show respect to someone who has achieved a certain level of mastery in an art form or some other skill.)

That is who you folks are, and the level of respect and apprieciation I have for all of you in the way you've made me feel welcome, well, as I told Buzzy, I have a mind like a steel trap, and I don't easily forget when folks are good to me! Thanks 4wd!

The Birdman

Hey hiltiki, if you want, meet me at my place and we can split the gas. You could also drink to your hearts content while there, I don't drink and often times become the designated driver.

The Birdman

B

Birdman- I've carved a bit of Eucalyptus. It's rather hard, but gets really great detail. What you've got to watch out for is that Euc has a way of cracking that makes the log unusable. If your logs are fresh, I'd store them in a cool place out of the sun so they will dry slowly.

These were carved from Eucalyptus:

See ya at Babalu's!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 8:02 PM

I like those salt & pepper shakers. The wing-ding one on the left is cool!

Don't tell the other truck drivers you're one of them artsy-fartsy bohemian types, they'll rib ya something awful. Better stash the beret in your locked tool box, T-Bird. And don't let them catch you reading "Moderne Effete Artiste" or "Pastel Flower Pastiche" magazines, man, they'll never let you off. Just tell them you're carving a new beer mug if there's wood chips around.

P.S. Holy Cripes, Dav, those are Eucalyptus?!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-06-25 20:04 ]

B

Hey Guy's

Just going over the list now...Will pm directions a little later this evening

Am I missing anyone?? If you want to come, jump on board.

Mieko - (yes)
Tiki Kate - (yes)
pdrake - (yes)
Cammo - (yes)
Buzzy - (yes)
Zaya - (yes)
CheekyGirl - (yes)
4WD - (yes)
TikiDav - (yes)
Ona - (yes)
Moki - (yes)
Clysdale - (yes)
Shell in the Pacific (yes)
Jeremey (yes)
HB Tiki (yes?)
Billybobaloo (yes)
MonkeyMan (yes)
Hiltiki (yes?)
Mr. NoNaMe (yes)
T Birdman (yes)
Dirk Yates (yes)
Tiki Den (yes?)
Heath (yes)
Crazy Joyce (yes – not TC, but the life of the party)
Tmec - (yes – hope?)
Babalu (yes)
Babe 1 – Amy (yes)
Babe 3 – Nicki (yes – mix’n)
Brian (yes – just along for cocktails)

Wow! That's one heck of a list. Biggest Chop ever?

I may need to borrow the big ass ice chest for this one.

H

I'm a yes.

B

Hey,

Well, I think I PM'ed directions to everyone...if not, let me know.

After talking with Dave on the phone last night, I realize that we may only have time to cast Cammo's "Oki Doki" and the "Man of War" mug as there will be so much going on...So, I don't think we will have time to do the "Duke of Uke" here...I'm going to put him aside...I may try to work some more on him during the Chop.

The trailer park kids are boiling over with excitement for the big day!!

Everyone is lining up at Helen's for haircuts. Gotta look our best ya know!

I'm on the list and I'm planning on showing, but I'm still oblivious as to where I'm going!!

On 2007-06-26 13:36, billybobaloo wrote:
I'm on the list and I'm planning on showing, but I'm still oblivious as to where I'm going!!

Ok, now I know where!! I will also be a safe driver, as I'm doing a cleanse and and can't eat or drink anything fun. I have a 2 year old daughter that I'm trying to leave with my sister for the day, so we'll see how that goes. If I brought her with me, I wouldn't be able to do much AND I'd have to leave early for nap time. Trying to build my new Tiki bar today and she wants to help........not really working out.

H

T birdman, read your pm.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2007 9:13 PM

Hey Hiltiki, take the Gold Wing! Forget the truck!

Oki Doki so far...

T

BabaLUUUUUU
Shoot me off a PM Please...I am a definate maybe and always had it for Ellie Mae Clampett in a big way. I promise not to violate any clay.

Ahh, she's gonna take the train and miss out on my good natured disposition!

The Birdman

C

Dude, I'll never figure chicks out. All I know is some of 'em like bikes, some don't.

Bro,The trick is to find the one that confuses you the least!

The Birdman

this thread is crackin me up.......can't wait to see everyone on Saturday!!!

I've got the car loaded and we are ready to come over.

C

"this thread is crackin me up"

I'm totally serious, I don't get it.

Like,
some chicks are chicks -

and some chicks ain't chicks!

Jane Hathaway lives in Beverly Hills, meets fun 1960's rich guys every day, has a great job working at the bank, she's thin and single, she ain't stupid, man, she should be partying her ass off every Friday at the Tonga Hut, but she ain't a chick! I don't get it!

Well, I always tried to find gals that had shared interests so we always had something in common.

You know, things you like doing together,

The Birdman

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jun 27, 2007 2:28 PM

OK, OK, OK, here is the Oki Doki guy finito.

Now I know Squid's secret - he's CRAZY!

The amount of concentration that goes into these clay models is way above and beyond the call of a balanced brain. It takes a real lunatic! Don't try it! It took two of us and at least three scrape/redo stages to get it in the ballpark. I still don't know if it'll cast.

B

Hey All,

Quick post…

Dave just left the cosa…he seems to think we can pull the casting off on all three mugs with only some minor alterations. I think I am going to go ahead a finish the Duke of Uke mug…so be thinking about which of the two you would like to see as the official Chop mug. I will post more later in better light, and as Duke starts to gel a little more.

Peace…

B

Ok Buzzy,

Here it is…to clue the rest of you in…years ago in school, I swore I would never make mugs. I had ceramics teacher at the time who said, “Well you will for this project!” This is the only other mug I’ve ever made. Times sure change.

C

How ya drink out of that thing, Babs? Does it come with a curse attached?

I've never made a mug before, but I've won one.

Our entire graduating high school class staged an illegal road rally on the last day of school. Three to a car; driver, navigator, and backseat advisor. The police were warned that day there might be some speeding around the county, and they complied by looking the other way for 24 hours. A judge's son was involved, so they knew when to keep their eyes closed.

We started from the high school parking lot, believe it or not. The whole race was designed like a Monte Carlo Rally, with “clues” at checkpoints. We were all handed sealed envelops right before starting, with instructions for the first checkpoint. The thing was really well organized, which was funny because I’d only heard about it an hour before it started.

Andy Berry, tall, goofy, mop-top, but the school’s daredevil motorcycle fanatic (his dad owned a German bike he lifted during WW2) was my right-seat navigator, and Drew McFarland who I didn’t know too well was the backseat advisor. We switched roles after the first 5 minutes of the race, though – Drew became the screaming backseat navigator and Andy was the “Look Out” frontseat who yelled “LOOK OUT” if anything got in our way.

Our average speed was about 95, this over every type of surface imaginable; dirt roads, one-lane curves, farm tracks.

Richard Zaban was our only real competition, and I knew we had him when we all saw him rocketing (airborne, no kidding) out of County Road 7 late in the race, going the wrong way.

Anyway, we won, and they handed each or us these cheesy mugs filled with beer at the end. This is still my favorite mug, you can see “First” badly scratched into the top.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 214 replies