Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Saga of Tiki Lee's Home Tiki Room

Pages: 1 2 3 134 replies

Sorry to hear the bad news. Just look at this setback as another opportunity for bigger and better things. A new chapter, as it were. I know that's easy for me to say. Really hoping for the best for you guys.

Not sure if it applies to you, nor if the legislation has yet been activated, but I heard that people who were at least 3 months behind on their mortgages would be eligible for anti-forclosure protection. Have you checked into that?

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-11-20 06:21 ]

On 2008-11-20 05:55, Matt Reese wrote:
Sorry to hear the bad news. Just look at this setback as another opportunity for bigger and better things. A new chapter, as it were.

I agree Lee, The image of the Phoenix comes to mind. I pray for new open doors for you.
Blessings.

J

Wow Lee! I'm so sorry. :( Your room was amazing, and I know you'll soon find another place to create something equally fabulous! Good thing you'll have Frankie's nearby to quench that thirst for good tiki. I'm planning a trip to Vegas in January. Would love to hook up with you and your wife for a drink while I'm there. I'll PM when I have details nailed down. Best wishes to you.

My heart goes out to you Lee. I know you probably have those in your life who are going to tell you not to worry, that you will be fine in the long run. You definitely will be fine but allow yourself to be sad for a while. Its not self indulgent. You lost something you cared about.

And look at it this way. The funnest thing about a Tiki room is putting it together. You will eventually get to make a new Tiki room, you will learn from the mistakes you made when you did the first one, and you will put together and even better LEE'S TIKI ROOM VERSION 2.0!

S

Hate to hear that Lee. Stephanie and I are in a similar boat. We have an ARM that hits the 2 year mark in February. Our market has been stable, so, we're in reasonable shape, except the damn market keeps changing. We just found out they are not doing any 100% refi's now and we have to figure out how to get 5% plus closing costs saved by by then. Great. Nice notice. But, who knows where things will stand then. So, work on our bar has pretty much stopped. Not spending any more for a while.

Hope you guys land on solid ground.

M

On 2008-11-19 02:36, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Well, the recession has claimed another forclosure victim, and I am sad to say that my wife and I are losing our house, and our Tiki Room with it. Thanks for all your kind compliments over the span of this post. If any of you want to come by and take a peek in person before it all goes away in December, then just let me know and we'll try to hook up before it gets packed away in storage once again for another unknown number of years.

At least my shop at The Charleston Antique Mall will stay open. I guess it's gonna have a great new influx of product really soon...

Mahaloz Friends.

Damn!- I'm sorry to hear it. i just saw your invitation from a few months ago. i hope you bounce back soon! -Smiley

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2008-11-30 01:04 ]

M

Razz!

Thanks Everybody...

It's so hard to even imagine a "phoenix-type" redo of the room because things are so difficult right now, but thanks for the positive energy anyway.

Since we are going to have to rent from now on, I seriously doubt that the landlord would ever let me do something this extensively tiki to his house. It just won't be the same, so I probably won't even try to make a tiki room. A piece might go here and there, but the glowing cozy atmosphere will be lost to the ages.

Thank God for Frankie's. At least I can go visit a cool tiki room when I get homesick...

Best wishes Lee I'm sorry to hear of your bad news. Keep your chin up, the best is yet to be. See you soon at Frankie's...

Lee, brother I cannot express enough sorrow and disapointment regarding your situation.
I wish you much better luck in the future.

-Stingray

TL

I just had this thread of mine moved to this new topic and thought I'd give it a "bump" for ol' times sake.

Thanks Again for all your condolences...

This was a truly great tiki room. I hope the tide turns for you soon so you can work on version 2.0

Thanks for sharing these photos with us.

Hi Lee, I just pulled your thread up to look at all the terrific photos again. Then I got to the end and was so sad for the bad news. We send you best wishes for better times ahead, Wendy and Dan

T

I was reading your thread for inspiration on our tiki room and tiki hut. Truly amazing build and collection. I can only hope that ours will be 1/20th as cool as yours. I was very sad to read the end. Like the others said keep your chin up high and your spirits even higher. May only good things come your way from now on.

TL

WOW! Over 23,000 views!

That's like having the best party EVER and all of Tiki Central & their families showed up!

Ya gotta love this site...

Where else can things we've loved that have been taken away from us can live on long after it's gone?

Bless You Tiki Central, and everyone who makes it the special place that it is!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2010-07-02 13:17 ]

Just thought I'd post a picture of what may or may not become my new Tiki Room. We just found a rental house to move into, and here's the "den"...

Since it's a rental, I doubt I'll do anything as extensive as what I did in the house we "owned". Maybe just Danish Modern with "Tiki Accents" here & there.

What do you folks think? Go crazy and "layer-it-up", or Danish Modern in moderation with Tiki accenting?

that's a hella lot of puke on the floor......

Yeah, I know... But it's a rental. Whattayagonna do?

At least it's clean and soft

W

It adds character. At least that's what my room mate used to say about stuff like that.

T

It reeks of 1960's family den. Witco, I'd say, lots of Witco.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Dec 21, 2010 8:20 AM

...crushed green velvet furniture, wrought iron and witco...yeah!

Ya know, we all look to you for inspiration & that's the best you can do? Nice! :lol:

On 2010-12-20 08:11, RevBambooBen wrote:
that's a hella lot of puke on the floor......

T

The carpet is 80's vintage, it looks like what I installed at a prior house in 1984.
Anyhoo, party on Garth, and post pic's of the new tiki bar.

H

Mid Century Modern and tiki sounds great.

TT

fireplace: perfect,
Wood panel walls: perfect
ugly carpet: perfect.. (if anyone is looking down in your new bar they are too drunk to notice)

go nuts on that room, it's just a different kind of creativity to make something amazing in a rental but totally achieveable.
Build like its a trade show exhibit and you need to take it on the road.
Don't pussy out with the mid century minimal crap.. you have the entire rest of the house for the teak sideboard/buffet/daybed/coffee table....

nothing further to add your honour...

Lee,

There's only one way to go and that's crazy! "layer-it-up" all the way...

Sounds like you've had more than enough hard times lately, time for some fun and a fresh new start!

Post those pic's!

Keep well

B

WOW, What a trip it's been, Haven't seen this I guess since forever. Hope your new tiki room is as good as your last. Good luck and Hang in there.

Wow, Ben! You've managed to resurrect the dead!

Did you see your two Tropicana Tiki's (before I knew they were yours) in situ?

They look good WHEREVER they are placed, even in the boring "plain-white-wall" rental I'm in now! :)

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2015-07-24 01:04 ]

wholly hell, tiki lee! howzit!

H

What Johnny said.

Hi you guys! Thanks for remembering me! Things are still not good, but hopefully my 7-years of bad luck are finally over and I can get my life back soon!

Hang in there, Lee.

Sad to read this entire thread only to find out this lovely room went the way of so many great tiki places. I love the tiki mug shelves; I'm going to have to make some of my own with this in mind.

TL

Thanks you guys! TheRumTrader, if you need to know how to make the shelves, just look up any "Do-It-Yourself Witco" carving post here on TC. All the "how to" is here on this glorious site! :)

J

Whatever became of the spencer's moai lamp and flaming tiki in this photo:

The reason I ask is I picked up that exact combo from a person on ebay last summer and wondered if it was yours. Maybe a lot of folks bought both of those items together though.

Hi Jim!
The stuff you bought could not have been mine, since the Moai Lamp and the Drummer statue were destroyed by my meth-riddled ex-wife, as were a lot of good things.
I still have the fire-breathing big mouth tiki, and he still works! :)

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2015-09-21 21:21 ]

B

Dear lord...sorry to hear that! :(

Good to see this thread back and you posting. So unfortunate all the drama...hope a fresh new start will bring joy and peace. Tiki on!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 134 replies