Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"the Last Minute" Ken Ruzic's one man show June 16th!Sneak Peek!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Thanks Everyone for all the well-wishes from afar and those local (and not so local) folks who showed up! I think tyger jymmy and Hiphipahula win the prize for most miles travelled!Tiki Ray and Clysdalle get a close second place!
(and a BIG apology to those two for the quick turnoff on the 405 North exit!Sorry!)
The gallery looked great that night(sorry! No pictures!),and Terrill helped me with the "viewer interaction" stuff,so I could make the rounds and answer questions and stuff! It was an alltogether fun evening and it was really cool to give people the opportunity to see works that mostly just hang lonely in the cave for months and years! Only sold prints and books that night,but no paintings! Wouldn't be the first "Black Saturday" and it wouldn't be the last! :) I had a feeling that a show on such short notice would not be as hopping as,say,a show with mailed out invitations and 3-4 week notice...But for me,the best part is being able to reconnect with old friends and let them see new work (and old favorites)and being in a place where people feel free to ask you questions and listen to long-winded explanations that were constructed whilst painting.Thanks again to all of y'all!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-06-18 08:49 ]

sounds like a fun time. i can't wait to pick your brain in aug. at least you sold one piece this weekend, cuz i bought "the foggy morning" from the london luau.

J

On 2007-06-18 16:34, kingstiedye wrote:
at least you sold one piece this weekend, cuz i bought "the foggy morning" from the london luau.

Oooh! That's a wonderful piece! I seriously considered throwing out my budget to buy that one myself when I saw it last month! Congrats, Bullet!

mahaloz jen. you have excellent taste! i dig your black moai that kinny customized.

D'oh!

Tried to make it to Kinny's show but got held up at a very good old friends sons grad party. You don't see old friends for so long and then it's like midnight before you know it!

Sounds like it was a good time for all. I'm bummed but will invade your space in Orange soon.

Kinny's art rocks!

He's like Van Gough on Hyperdrive!

Got a cool piece hanging in my hall right now.

And......the super duper cool thang is that he doesn't copy
( like most here)!!!!

sorry Kinny, you know Surf shows, blah blah blah...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow! I stay off TC for one evening and this morning it's like all hustle and bustle!
Hey Bullet! I saw that the Foggy Morning sold,but didn't know who bought it! Wow! Thank you soooooooo much.Sir!That was a nice way to bring in a Monday!August should be fun and rather interesting...brainpickin's my hobby! I've actually been slowly cranking out your 3x3 footer and will post them sometimes this week! Thank you and Jen for the props on the work! My wife thinks I'm crazy with my Tangata Manu Birdman "Series" or jag,as I call it!
Ben:Excuses Excuses...
Fergitabootit! Old friends and most other things should always take priority over an art show...it's only art,it's not life!
the less people there,the less to have to talk to in 10-15 minute increments! It's like Speed-Dating,but more like Speed-Schmoozing/Catchup! It's funny,some friends I ONLY see at shows,other friends I see everywhere BUT the shows....Would love to have you invade the LLT Cavern of Art and Doom whenever you get time! I've been doing some sketches of the Bamboo Ben Chinese Firework piece and still haven't nailed it yet! You did say one thing that I'd like to clarify...

And......the super duper cool thang is that he doesn't copy

Well Ben...we ALL copy,My first year or two of serious drawing/painting,I would fill my sketchbook with studies of Durer,Brueghel's,Aztec murals,Japanese Prints,Dore,Blake,Greek Vases,Thai stone rubbings,Indian stupa sculptures etc.,you name it,studying each style,drawing them and then blending them,taking the attributes of each that work well with the flow of my hand.Same with Tikis,I know that there's some Crazy Al,Squid,Ben,influence in there before I even met them!! The whole surf tee scene was also an influence,as well as doing studies from primitive Arts books and old menus and matchbooks...It's weird over the years,how the fine art visual diary and the surf tee visual diary overlap and feed off each other...Well, to close this novel,we all copy and are influenced by each other because that's how we grow and evolve our styles and make them our own...Phew! Sorry! Art Rant,I'm still in "Exhibition Mode"!
Hey Jeff(bigtikidude)!
No worries man! We went to the trouble to put together an Insect Surfers/Jerry Cole/3 Balls of Fire gig AND we included a Tiki Art Show this Sunday the 24th at Safari Sam's in Hollywood from 5-9...No Excuses! :)

Did I say...hyperdrive!!??

lol!!!

Was just stirring up the long pig stew on the copy thang!

Crap! I'll be in Emeryville this weekend!

Gonna have to miss another one!!

D'oh!

On 2007-06-18 20:30, RevBambooBen wrote:

He's like Van Gough on Hyperdrive!

More like acid hippiedrive!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies