Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

MIA or my Computer is Sick (sober & drunken downloads)

Pages: 1 22 replies

Unforutnately I fired up my (one year old) laptop tonight and it made a grinding sound, my first horror was "oh no crashed hard-drive" but then thought it might be the CD, so popped that out....still grinding...so it can only be the horror I suspected. I do have a desktop, so will catch a few posts from it, but not as convenient as my laptop. Ohhhhh the pain....I'll have withdrawels no doubt. May have to stand on a corner and take up collections. TTFN

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-07-25 23:13 ]

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Bummer. I have 3 desktops and one laptop. My laptop is 5 years old and still working great. Except the battery went. A new battery was $200.00 which I didn't get and so the laptop only works when it's plugged in. Kind of cuts down on the portability and mobility thing. Then I lost the power cord for about a month. I had some files that I needed to do my income taxes and they were only on the laptop and I couldn't access them without power. So, I said I'll just go over to Best Buy and get a new cord for $20.00. Only the $20.00 cord was like $160.00 or something like that. With renewed purpose I did some ransacking at home and found the wayward cord. Maybe it's time for both of us to get a new laptop?

Oof! You'd almost need one of those hospital-issue $200 aspirins after that! Good luck with yours, Vampiress; good move getting it checked now. I had one just up and die on me a couple years ago and lost EVERYTHING.

I feelyour pain... hurry up & post again :)

I have wasted a couple of power chords in my lifetime....painful cause the replacement for those are definitely gonna take a chunk out of your pocketbook. Same with the batteries, of which sometime you can't get a replacement, seems like they quit making them the day the laptop hits the market.

I am taking my baby to my computer club meeting tonight and have a couple of techy know-it-alls give it a looksy. Praying for just a problem with the fan. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. :)

Best of luck at your computer club. I'm pretty sure that techy know-it-alls are very similar to computer nerds. I've heard that you can get desired results with bribes of Cheetos, and I don't know, probably Fanta orange soda and stuff. Let us know if that works.

One of the grand puh bazz of the computer club has my laptop now and I can only hope that he work miracles in his secret lair.

Of course I couldn't stay away so have used my work laptop. Good news....it wasn't the hard-drive....my friend said it didn't make that terrible noise when he started it up. So he did some updates and such and I have it back, but must have some blocker on as I can't get on the Internet. Have to wait till he calls me to trouble-shoot it.

But...speaking of hard-drives....how many of you have ever crashed yours?

I pooched my hard drive last year & i hadn't backed up my files in over a year. Now I routinely back up everything once a week.

Yeah...I know about backing up and do I do it NOOOOOO!!! But when you think about the $2500 price tag for recovery of data (even then you might not get all your data back) it is a big wake-up call when you fear all is lost. I am going to set up a weekly back-up process. :o

YEAH!!!! I am back fully operational. It is really painful when there is a sick computer at my house. Obviously I had backups, but really missed my laptop. Plus this is truly incentive for backing up files....now if I can just remember how to do that on my shared drive. :D

I'm glad to hear that you've gotten everything straightened out. I had to get a new computer about a week ago. My desktop finally died one me. I decided this time if I was going to have to get something new then I wanted a laptop. I am loving it so far. I need to make sure I do a backup. I've actually never done one before, even though I always claim I will. Speaking of being MIA, I'm going to be away for this next week. I'm to be spending the week at a cabin in the mountains of NC.

Have a great vacation Rogue...sneak a tiki and a bottle of rum in your suitcase. :lol:

Glad to hear you're fully operational again Vamp. Of course that doesn't sound right. Makes you sound like you're a robot or a deathstar or something. Glad to hear your equipment is in working order. Maybe that doesn't sound right either.. taken out of context.. Glad to hear you're back in the swing of things? Never mind...

Thank khan. Now my keyboard is acting crazy....and typing and inserting text all over the place. I'll figure that out eventually...but it may drive me to drink in the meantime. :lol:

I got back home this afternoon. It was quite the fun vacation. I stayed in a cabin up in the mountains. I did a lot of hiking and swimming. I did do my share of drinking while I was there. There was nothing better than to sit in the rocking chair on the back porch of the cabin, look out at the mountains, while I sipped a drink and smoked a cigar.

Kewl......got pictures of your vacation? There is something so special about carousing with nature. :)

On 2007-06-24 21:26, VampiressRN wrote:
Kewl......got pictures of your vacation? There is something so special about carousing with nature. :)

I've been posted some of them in the pics section of my page on MySpace. You can check them out there if you like.

http://www.myspace.com/roguespy007

Nice MySpace....I can't figure out how to get mine to look that good and gave up...LOL. Very James Bondian....kewl!!!

On 2007-07-06 23:30, VampiressRN wrote:
Nice MySpace....I can't figure out how to get mine to look that good and gave up...LOL. Very James Bondian....kewl!!!

Thanks. I've been up there since April. My sister and some friends nagged me until I did. I love it now though. Yeah, I love 007 so I try to let my page reflect that and my love of the sexy ladies of the 60's.

The keyboard on my laptop was screwed up so sent it into HP to be fixed. They replaced my hard drive and returned my software to the factory install.....ARGH!!!! I have backup files on my network drive, so OK there, but now I am going to have to find my Photoshop and see if I can reinstall....plus having to set up Firefox again....oy vey....lost all my favorite links....allI can say is ARGH!!!! and more ARGH!!!! I would have a drink but it is too late. :(

Oh no.....my MS Office is also wiped out....SOMEBODY SHOOT ME PLEASE!!!

Missing my printer....I knew that was coming. Currently gouging my eyes out with pointy swizzlesticks. Head spinning around wildly...green-pea soup spewing out of my mouth. :o

Pages: 1 22 replies