Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

London Luau 007 pictures

Pages: 1 27 replies

V

It's over :(
But what a great time I had this week end. Thanks to the Cheekytikis and everyone who made it possible.

I was happy to be with my tiki friends/family Tikichris and Emilia, Tiki Racer with his great art and Madame, Pocketiki (great stories) and Sian, the very cool Tikidrom, Lemonsqueezer (thanks for talking music with me), King Kukulele (this guy is everywhere), Amanda and Peaches from Paris, the "new great artist Charlie Adam, Atomic Tony Tiki from Scotland, Jamie & Anjy, Dolly Mixtura, the really cool Midnite tiki from SF...(I'm probably forgetting a lot of folks).

We had great music : Bo Axelzon and his orchestra, really excellent Exotica from Sweden, the Bikini Beach Band (fantastic surf combo), some Polynesian dance, King Kukulele...great Djing by Lemonsqueezer and Dollymixtura
Tiki art from all over the world in a great place.
and...great drinks at Mahiki (I missed it), Trader Vic's, Trailer Happiness.

Trader Woody and Kon Hemsby were missed by everyone (bastards).

My pics are here http://virani-le-beachcomber.blogspot.com/2007/06/london-luau-007.html

[ Edited by: virani 2007-06-11 09:46 ]

Thank you for posting - you know I 'lost' my camera with the whole weekend's pictures...

Such a lot of fun!

We had an awesome time at the luau this year. Thanks to Cheekytiki for making it happen, plus all the artists, traders and performers.

Friday night at the Art Show opening, in London Brick lane

Some great carved tikis

Me and my 2 pieces in the show

Me on my table in the trading market

Simone tries out for beats of polynesia

Virani gives the luau a big thumbs up

I take some time out the have a go on the 'Paint a tiki mug" stall

Friday night at Mahiki - Simone, Ben and I enjoy a Neptune's Bounty

Simone and I chill out at Trader Vic's

This year to Luau took over the whole of TV London

Dave and Simone at Dance School

Sian spots something tasty on the menu

Something for the ladies

Trader Jim tries out his new dancing shoes

The fab new luau mug, inspired by the art by Dr Alderete

The Luau wahines having a great time

Bo Axelzon & His Exotic Orchestra - amazing sounds from sweden

Charlie brought some great art and loads of luau spirit

Beach Bikini were full on surf action with a fab sound and just too much fun

Stockton [thanks again for buying my fatu hiva peice] and virani chilling out a trailer happiness on Sunday night

Sam - after a tiring weekend

I have a go at making a cocktail

Wow. That was fun. It was great to see the old crew again and to make new friends. As everyone there is well aware, I took a ton of photos. However, it might be another couple of weeks before I can sort through them. Until then, here's a little review I wrote for Londonist:

http://www.londonist.com/archives/2007/06/london_luau_007.php

Cheers!
Chris
http://www.tikichris.com

Great pictures, we had no time to take our own so it is great to see everyones.
Thanks to everyone who could make it to all or part of the Luau this year. It would not exsist if it wasn't for all of you.
Please email us your pictures so we can put them up on the Luau site.

Mahalo

argh - when's next years? I wanna book already!!! :D

Hi
Wow what a great weekend, just recovering now!! Met some great people again, and what some kool places to hang out! Thanks again to Jamie and Anjy for all of your hardwork, and we can't wait till next year!! Great to see our old mate King Kukulele, and I think Sunday night outside of Trailer Happiness was the best show he did, especially when he went through the bins at the end!!

Thanks again!
Sue and Dave.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2007 9:04 AM

It looks like you guys had a great time,Im greatful for being able to participate in the art show,maybey next time I can be there in person, and booze it up with the tiki nerds across the pond,you seem to realy know how to party...looking forward for more pics...Thanks again jaimie and anjy for letting me be apart..mahalo...kirby

P.S. Any word on the virtual gallery?

hey here's a link to a short youtube vid of king kukulele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfSJWugyj4

We were outside the cocktail bar - Trailer Happiness, late Sunday night having last London Luau drink before all heading home.

Although tired from a full weekend of doing his thing, the king still managed one more great performance.

This was taken on my digital still camera, so the quality isn't great.

Thanks Denny, keep doing your stuff.

T

Sweet, the exotic version.

On 2007-06-12 10:13, tikiracer wrote:
hey here's a link to a short youtube vid of king kukulele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfSJWugyj4

We were outside the cocktail bar - Trailer Happiness, late Sunday night having last London Luau drink before all heading home.

Definitely staying on Sunday night next year. We missed this fun rushing for the last train home (made it by 3 mins...)

Thanks for posting both vids, tikiracer!

The virtual gallery, will be up in a matter of days.

Wow! What a blast! Non stop!Thanks you guys for letting me share some art from half a world away! Cannot wait to see more pix and the virtual gallery! Mahalos!

V

Great photos! Ms. VanTiki and I would LOVE to head out next year - but sadly the exchange rate isn't in out favor! We'll have to settle for fabulous event photos and write ups. Can't wait to see the virtual gallery.

Mahalo for posting the goods!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Great photos Tikiracer!

I love both of your pieces in the art show, but I'm particularly taken with your rendition of Stonehenge. :) Very nice!

Thanks so much to Cheekytiki and all you followers/artists for his wonderfull weekend!
Bo Axelzon and his orchestra plays first rate classic exotica that you rarely have the chance to hear here in Europe outside Sweden as they are the only exotica orchestra down here. (please correct me if Im wrong) In fact for me it was the first time to hear one of my absolute favorite music style live in the perfect enviroment! Unbelivable stunning! The Surf band Bikini Beach was everthing other than just another surf band. How many surf Bands manage to get the crowd DANCING from the start to the end? They didnt play there own compositions BUT they did play a lot tunes that you never did hear before done in a surf style that keeps you dance and smile (new order – blue monday, pulp etc. ..and – YES they does fit perfect in a surf style!)
Rounded up by great polynesian dancers with live music and the fun King Kukulele, fantastic food, the charming Dolly Mixtura on the deks, fun hangaround at the tiki/art exebition and market with intersting work to discover, the great Trailer Happiness..
.. and the chance to meet you all in real live!
too bad that I did miss the opening and the Mahiki as my plane was late

virani & tikiracer, thanks for the pics and vids! (missed the street scene w. kk) Cant wait for more! (Didnt had a camera)

Trader Jim, your pockettiki mag did save me of boredom traveling home!

Hope to see you all soon!

and... thanks a lot for all the great feeback! My pleasure!

M

Ahhhh-hooooo!

Trader Vic's:

The Art...ists:

The Market:

The Happiness:

Hairy-handed gent,
midnite

I'm still dead beat (and a deadbeat!) from the weekend but here are a few pics until I get time to post some later on.

FRIDAY NIGHT - A good turn out for the Art Show at the Truman Brewery.

FRIDAY NIGHT @ MAHIKI- A couple of the BRITIKI boys playing with their coconuts! Of course I had my equipment firmly in my hand, so I couldn't join in! Photographic equipment...Oh, c'mon people!!

SATURDAY @ The Marketplace, Brick Lane - King Kukulele shows the 'Beats of Polynesia' dancing beauty a few new moves!

SATURDAY NIGHT @ TRADER VIC's - Sian & Liz get down and flirty with a 'Hunk of Polynesia'! GO GIRLS!!!

SATURDAY @ The Marketplace, Brick Lane - Great sounds from DJ Dolly Mixturita & DJ Lemonsqueezer!

I'll try to post some more later...Obviously I'll be covering the LONDON LUAU in the next POCKETIKI out end of JULY! Also doing a piece in the UK 'Pinstriping Magazine'. Until then...

MAHALO to everyone who made this year's LUAU so much FUN! - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

Trader Jim waxed his moustache into a useful jewelery hanger!

I s'pose you think that's funny?

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tache!

Trader Jim - deep in thought about the next issue of pocketiki...

Once a dreamer...always a dreamer!

Hey! It's gone one in the morning! Am I dreaming this? Feels real enough but...
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Thanks for posting pictures....looks like a great art show and plenty of quality partying. LOVE the blue Luau mug!!!

The London Luau online Gallery is now live!
Also the chance to get your hands on some London Luau merchandise, mugs, Dr. Alderete prints, T-shirts, stickers and the new Cd from King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis, plus lots more.
http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk

Here are a few more pics

love the pics on your blog virani! the shot of king kukulele in front of "duke of uke" is great! i hope those mokes bowed down when his majesty entered. dig the youtubes too. tikiracer, your pics and art are top notch. great show!

On 2007-06-19 20:25, kingstiedye wrote:
love the pics on your blog virani! the shot of king kukulele in front of "duke of uke" is great!...

Hey! Virani...you stealing my thunder there French boy!?? I bet you didn't tell 'em it was my idea to take the 'King' down to the 'Duke of Uke' for a photo for POCKETIKI! I wondered what that clicking over my left shoulder was? Still, I expect your photos are better than mine! I'll have to get an Eiffel of your blog...geddit? Eiffel...Eyeful...Eye...Aw forget it!!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

More Luau Pics courtesy of trader Vics
More at http://www.cheekytiki.com/thelondonluau/photo%27s.htm

Pages: 1 27 replies