Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

otikiniko's (aka N! Satterfield) Latest Paintings (updated 10/5/07)

Pages: 1 20 replies

Just wanted tho give the ohana a look-see of what I've been slingin' paint at tiki-wise.

If you caught the "Psychotikis Are Go" show, you caught a glimpse of an early version on this theme.

Here's the group shot of all 5 paintings arranged together for the show.

Detail of "Radioactive Tiki", Color Study, & Monochromatic Study

Detail of "Outmoded Advertising Icons: Punchy & Oaf"

This set is part of "Bad Meaning Good"... notice it opens the same Saturday night as Hukilau,
I'm gonna try and be in both places. Hope you like 'em!

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2007-09-07 14:51 ]

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2007-09-07 15:14 ]

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2007-09-10 13:19 ]

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2007-10-05 14:12 ]

K

Poor old Oaf! That brings back some memories.

I like the tapas border running perpendicular to the frame - really a nice touch.

Very nice work....the monochromatic one is awesome. :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 17, 2007 2:06 PM

These are really cool, I was hoping you would post some more of them after I saw the brown tapa tiki in another thread. How do the sides work? Are they attached at right angles, or are you using deep box canvases?

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 17, 2007 3:09 PM

good work.. im realy diggin "punchy"...aloha...kirby

Mahalo for all the kind words!

I found out Saturday morning a local collector (during the one preview the gallery gave) made a b-line for the group and purchased the three tikis and is keeping them together. Punchy & Oaf are going home with another collector who bought the set during the opening reception Saturday night.

Unfortunately, my duties at Hukilau kept me at the Mai-Kai so I didn't make it to the opening. But it's nice to be reminded that tikiphiles are lurking everywhere!

On 2007-06-17 14:06, Paipo wrote:
How do the sides work? Are they attached at right angles, or are you using deep box canvases?

They're basically wooden boxes. I cut all of the sides with a miter saw, build a frame, and mount the surfaces to the frame. I looked into stretching canvases to get the faces raised, but I do quite a bit of sanding and wood and masonite are really the only materials that forgive the level of abuse I throw at em'. Plus I kinda like the "chunky" feel of the boxes.

Click the thumb to visit the gallery's website and see more pics.

O

As Promised in the "Summer Swap" thread here are some of my recent works.

Here's "Born of Water" and her sister "Born of Fire".

I'm gonna rework the stencil a bit, enlarge it, and paint each of all four elements.
*both are the same size, I just suck with photoshop.

Here's "The Power of Moai"

Here I'm using my small Moai stencil (cut for color/registration testing) in a piece. It's 8.75"x14.75", eventually this stencil will be about 30" tall.
*please forgive the flash... the reflection makes the grain a bit more noticeable than it actually is.

When I get the pics of my studio edited I'll post 'em so everyone can see what 20 Moai look like.

Enjoy!!

Oti!
That fire/water duo kicks butt! Congrats on selling those 5 pieces in 2 days! Rad! Likin the new stencil work!

B

Love those Sisters. Man Everybody is doing such great stuff on this side of "Creating", Gotta get over here more often.
Great stuff Otikiniko

Thanks for the compliments, I've been working quite a bit lately and the interest has been pretty fantastic. The Saturday night grand opening at Harold Golen Gallery (9/8/07) went great!
Visitors were blown away to see a huge Punchy (21"x21") glaring at them.
It was pretty nice to share wall space with Steve Cambrone and be in a show with the likes of Tiki Tony, Thorsten Hasenkamm, Bosko, Sam Gambino, Flounder, Pooch, Scott Saw, Anthony Ausgang, Ron English, etc.

Here are a few NT tid-bits from "Sex & Science" currently at Bear & Bird. These might be fun for the mixology or vintage buffs.

This is the "Dr. Cocktail Drink Laboratory":

Front:

Back:

It's painted on a vintage Portable Bar. Note the matching cocktail shaker.

This is the "Robo-coctail Drink Kit":

Front:

Back:

Again, painted on vintage Portable Bar. Note the tapa signature "N!" on the spine.

"Sex & Science" show info here.

R

Waaaah! I LOVE DR. COCKTAIL AND ROBO!

So adorable! The expression on the Doc's face is priceless!

Also love the skulls, very cool! :D

Big Time Mahalos! for all of the comments and PMs, it means a lot to get such great support from the ohana!:D

I promise as soon as I have pics of the gigantic Punchy and the massive Moai collection y'all will be the first to see 'em. :tiki:

Loving that Hawaiian Punch stuff and Dr Cocktail! Very cool vibe to these.

O

Mahalo Sam-o! Looks like we're crossing paths a lot lately! (Harold Golen Gallery now Kustom Kulture)

Speaking of... here are a few pieces from recent shows!

"My Heros Have Always Been Animated" @ Harold Golen Gallery:

This one is 21"x21"x6" HUGE!

"The Inevitable" @ Kustom Kulture's "Brushes, Needles, & Burnouts":

"Green Kelso" @ Kustom Kulture's "Brushes, Needles, & Burnouts":

Oh, and here's a NT Item for another Bear & Bird show.

"Amantia Muscaria, or.. The REAL Reason Smurfs Smile (Apologies to Peyo)" part of "What a Fun Guy":

Hope y'all enjoy 'em!!

It's a toss-up between "the inevitable" and the "Amantia Muscaria"! :D
Great work Otikiniko!
Sly humor and fun behind these! Good to see ya gettin it out there!
Keep us posted more often!

Some really cool stuff you have going on there Nik! Always good to see Punchy worked in again!
Keep up the great work! Congrats on all the shows!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 3, 2007 12:35 AM

Nice work mate! Love the stencil art when it's done to such a high standard! My fave by far is the scientist on the front of the cocktail kit - that guy rocks!

Mahalo Little Lost Tiki! The Amantia Muscaria piece was a bit of a jab at the smurfs... don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the little buggers. I've just always thought they were part of somebody's psychedelic excursions. Especially when you consider they lived in a cartoon versions of Amantia Muscaria. I was glad to find a smurf wearing clogs a-la the Netherlands. Here's a better image:

note the eyes of the smurfs... what is each of them looking at??

Lake! Mahalo man, it truly means a lot coming from you brother... that big Punchy is getting all kinds of crazy attention. Who knew so many other people would relate??

Hewey I never would have suspected a "traditional" painter such as yourself to be a stencil fan. Mahalo! There is so much stencil work coming out of Australia that it's an honor just to be compared. I've spent tons of hours trying to break down the walls between stencils and other techniques so the work is looked at for the "subjects" and not just the "craft". Here's another image for ya:

Definitely more really soon! Mahalos for all of the comments and PMs!! :)

O

Aloha! as promised ages and ages ago here are a few pics of my studio:

note the 20 moai heads drying... they're pretty darn cool!
Interested parties PM me, they'll be up for grabs here soon!

Current Shows:
"What a Fun Guy" @Bear and Bird, Lauderhill FL
"When Robots Ruled the Earth" @The Gallery at East Atlanta Tattoo, Atlanta GA
"Brushes, Needles, & Burnouts" @ Kustom Kulture Gallery, Baldwin NY

BS

Holy flashback! Smokin cool designs..Whatever happened to Punchy? Maybe I don't watch enough Saturday morning cartoons?

The studies of Tikis give a modern perspective to an old pop icon. Lots of fun to look at.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 8:52 PM

Nice studio - I'm jealous. My 'studio' is under the back patio/verandah - subject to the weather :( Yeh mate, I love a good stencil (see that PM I sent ya), and your stencils are GOOD.

Have you ever checked out:
http://stencilrevolution.com/

Pages: 1 20 replies