Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

3 months in Cali....Where should i go? ..Suggestions?

Pages: 1 14 replies

TT

Well I Am booking flights this week for this years trip to the good old US of A and will book accom for tiki oasis and the tiki farm bash also. I fly in on July 20 and will be lost in california for approx 2-3 months and could really use some guidance regarding what's on. I am keen to check out all the tiki bars especially regular tikiphile gatherings etc as i missed a few last time and keen to check out any car/hotrod/art shows as well as surf/rockabilly bands etc..
Suggestions?
Cheers
Tiki Trav
Sydney
Australia

T

I would suggest you pick up Tiki Road Trip II. I think it's available now and you can plan your stay around that. The wife and I live in Huntington Beach, CA. about a mile from Main Street. The Aloha Grill, which is a small restaurant/bar with a nice view on the second floor, is fun. The old drummer from Korn has two restaurants on Main St. as well if you’re into that scene. All three restaurants serve great food and they have heavy hands when they pour drinks. Sam's Seafood should be open as well and from what I read on Tiki Central it's supposed to be really great. San Francisco by car is around a nine hour drive if you take the scenic route which is Pacific Coast Highway or (PCH). Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm are just 15 minutes away as well from Huntington Beach. San Diego is about 1 1/2 hours south of HB and Los Angeles is 45 minutes north from us. Also, we will be attending Tiki Oasis 7 as well as Bahooka's restaurant 40th anniversary. Check out California events and see what you think.

Good luck and Mahalo,
Tikitatt

How fun!!! Just sent you PM in case you can hit Northern California. We have the San Francisco experience....and then there is the Alameda Island hot spots, and a must see is South Lake Tahoe (2 hour drive from my house). At least you have plenty of time to plan your adventure. :)

As a traveler, I would not miss Redwood National Forest. It's not tiki in any way, it's just amazing. I wish I were there right now...

Tiki Trav,

When you're in the San Diego area (you'll be at Tiki Oasis, right?), an amazing excursion is to drive up to La Jolla (a short drive north of town) and rent a sea-kayak and snorkel gear. There are sea caves you can paddle up to -- or in to, if conditions are calm -- and a shallow marine shelf (underwater) loaded with garibaldi fish, giant sheep crabs, kelp, leopard sharks (small and harmless), and blue sharks (larger but -- I think -- also harmless). You can Google "La Jolla kayaking" to learn more. Hey, see you at the Bahooka (no relation to me, despite my username).

Cheers.

Here are a few pics to whet your appetite.

A leopard shark hiding among the rocks, about 12-15 feet down

A bright orange garibaldi -- a signature Southern California species

A couple of the caves (I think there are 9 in all)

A natural rock column, seen from within a cave

This pic shows the ease of launching and landing in La Jolla on most non-winter days

If you rent, you can go it alone (we did), or with a guided group for a little extra.

S

Bahookahuna, wow! That looks incredible! Just another excuse to try and swing Tiki Oasis this year...

Suzanne

While your in San Diego go see my friend at Tiki Land, cool little store, close to the beach, right behing the Sports arena/Kobeys swapmeet.

Try to hit Bamboo Ben's when you're near SoCal/Huntington beach...
Oceanic Arts is a must visit too! I think that's in Whittier!
During your stay-keep connected to the California Events on TC
Always lotsa great things to do and visit!
Redwoods too! Good Call!

Try and make it to one of our San Diego Chop Chops, we have one a month.

CL

It's a 6 hour drive from Southern CA to Northern CA on HWY 5. It's about 8+ hours on the more scenic highway 101/1 which runs on the coast.

Northern CA: Driving from Southern CA going North in somewhat sequential order.

Big Sur, 17 Mile Drive, Monterey and Hulas tiki restaurant, Carmel, Santa Cruz (nice surf town)another Hulas tiki restaurant.

Martini Monkey in the San Jose airport
Palo Alto - Trader Vics - (can miss if you're in a time crunch)
The Stanford Tiki Gardens (See the 2006 Tiki Central Crawl thread)

San Francisco - Trader Vics, Tonga Room, Tonga Hut, etc.
East of SF (15-20 minute drive) Trader Vics Emeryville, Kona Club in Oakland w/Trader Vis resting place down the block in Mt. View cemetary, Conga Lounge in Oakland, and Forbidden Island in Alameda. There's a great Rockabilly crowd hangout in Alameda called The Lost Weekend. They sometimes have live bands as well.

If you're into thrifting, there's a great antiques fair on the old navy base in Alameda every 1st Friday of the month. It's huge.

There's also a large classic car show in Alameda around September or October as well. It has a heavy rockabilly interest.

Heading North, Sacramento is the 1/2 way point between SF and Tahoe. It's about an hour and a half drive from SF. Tahoe, the giant redwoods, and Mendocino are all great if you're an outdoors type.

Just a few ideas. :)

T

Hey Mate, Check out Hollywood Park...

Then call up Mr. Bamboo Ben he'll take you to see the Jalopy's Run !!!!!

TT

On 2007-06-22 15:07, TikiLaLe wrote:
Hey Mate, Check out Hollywood Park...

Then call up Mr. Bamboo Ben he'll take you to see the Jalopy's Run !!!!!

Hollywood Park?

T

If you been to Flemington you know what I'm talking about, mate !!!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..
I will surely take on board some of your tips..
Looks like I'm gonna be busy!
See you all soon..

Pages: 1 14 replies