Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Oceanside Chop July 14th officially!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

The next San Diego Chop Chop is going to be at my house in Oceanside. :D

We need to pick a weekend, which works best for you?

Since the Tiki Farm Bash is the 21st, we can chop on the 14th or the 28th.

Check your calenders, and post up!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-07-06 13:56 ]

H

Come to think of it, you guys decide and I will hopefully make it...:)

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-07-01 17:48 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 10:23 AM

Lets hear from the Newbies - Billy, Cannibal, Birdman, Thurston Howell 3rd. What works with those guys works for moi.

Ok, as for me, work in Film & TV will pick up heavy in July so the 14th would work better for me, later in the month I could be out on location.

The Birdman

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 8:02 PM

Either weekend works for me just as long as there's going to be Spam and corn.

P
pdrake posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 8:50 PM

i have a large rocket event the weekend of the 14th. i'd be happy to make it on the 28th.

http://www.ldrs26.org/

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 9:36 PM

IN!!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 11:50 PM

Hey, the corn has been pretty bad at the store lately, I've tried Vons, Ralph's, Henry's, etc, and the cobs are all kind of thin & beat up. Don't know why.

But - if I can get some decent cobs for the next one, lets try barbeque-ing the stuff. I soak it for an hour, take the 'silk' off and roast it in the husk. Fine stuff.

Maybe the 28th is better, but Birdman betta come!

If work isn't a problem, I'll be there! I'll keep my eye out for the good corn too!

The Birdman

C

I'm down with the 14th......ComicCon is the weekend of the 24...

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 7:07 AM

On 2007-07-02 06:55, Clysdalle wrote:
I'm down with the 14th......ComicCon is the weekend of the 24...

Ya gotta do like me and blow off work on the 26th, and 27th and go to Comicon then, Dave. Only a nut goes to Comicon on Saturday!!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 7:41 AM

Dav, him right. All the deals have been dealt by Saturday at the Con. And it's impossible gettin' in those huge media event rooms.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:11 AM

Ha, I'm busy for Comic-con on the 28th as well, we spend Saturday wandering around, bumping into old friends and hitting happy hours downtown. Wednesday night is the only good time to go though the dealer's room anymore.... :)

I could probably only make it for a few hours on the 28th, but not very many. If it has to be that day, Spam Musubi can still be arranged since my parents are close to Bill's.

14th works MUCH better for me.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 9:58 AM

Actually, I vote the 14th too.

It's better for TBird, Mieko and Cly.

It avoids the Comicon.

It keeps the Newbies on their toes, we wanna see some PROGRESS!

The mugs should be close to almost kind of sort of in a half-finished state, and that's definate.

B

Hey Cam,

As soon as Dave and I finish the plaster molds on the 4th, Dave says these molds are going to have to sun dry for a few weeks before we can start to pull slip castings from them (I didn't know this before)...we will only have one mold on each mug, so we are limited (time wise) as to how many we can get done quickly...once we have slip casted several of each mug, we will do the first firing to get some test pieces to play with...then we will pick some glazes and do a test firing on these few...once we have made our glaze choices from these tests, and we could find that we want to redo the process if we don't get the glazing we want the first time, then, you and me are going into mass production bro...make some time available. I guess bottom line is, it's going to take a little time to get everyone their Chop mugs out...I want to make sure they are the best they can be. Not sure about Oki, but I think the Man of War is going to need about 4 colors on it, maybe 5..at least the chop members version of it will need that many.

Peace out.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 10:41 AM

Babalu has nefarious plans for the 'Man O' War' mug, but the 'Oki Doki' I see as just one color with a cold-paint for the letters, so he should be pretty easy.

No kidding, Babs is planning major color action on that 'Man O' War'. It's gonna look amazing; I think Babs has like a Ph. D in Ceramics from Harvard so he's actually Doctor Babalu. Look out.

Do you think I should drip red down around the top edge, like his brain has exploded? Hmmm...

both these mugs are going to kick ass.....I can't wait to fill them with boooooooze mmmmmmmmm

H

The 28th works for me. If it's the 14th, Im out.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 11:23 AM

Hubby did some work on a Man-o-War drink, but I think we're gonna work on it some more. I'll see if he can have something for the 14th. :)

weve gotten some bad news, my wife's grandma is not doing well(lung cancer) i'm out untill further notice, but ill still be working on my tiki at home, its very theraputic-helps with the stress, my pop's is hooked, he said he will take my brother-n-law with him if i cant make it(what a dad). hope to make the next one after.

C

ok, so we're set on the 14th?? Adding to my calender...

I can do the 14th or the 28th. So whatever the Tiki Gods decide I'm in.

T

Whatever date you all choose will work for me.

So far, we have 3 votes for the 14th, 3 votes for the 28th, and 4 votes for either/whatever.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 7:13 AM

4W - what's good for YOU? You da man!

I can do the 28th... but will be in Oregon on the 14th.

I just remembered that my Dad's birthday is the 28th, so I gotta vote for the 14th.

Okay, so now it's 4 votes for the 14th, 4 votes for the 28th, and 4 votes for either. So sofar, no runaway winner. :roll: :-? :wink:

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 6:19 PM

Hey Guys,

I spoke to soon on being able to make either date…Amy and my 26th wedding anniversary is on the 27th, so that weekend we will be hole up in a more secluded location away from the world…will have to vote with the other date – 14th… then the Tiki Farm Bash is the following weekend – 21st…I would love to go to that as well, if it’s possible. Any of you going to be up in LA for the Bash?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 7:34 PM

I vote 14th too, but can only come that morning, latest say until 2:00.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2007 11:09 AM

I don't know if I'm miscounting, but I only see 3 people for 28th only, and a few have moved from either to the 14th being better. Sounds to me like the 14th might win, but that is the date I want. :)

me too.....lets stage a mutiny....4wd, the 14th it is!!! and if not..pay no attention to the big guy choppin wood in you back yard on that day..

LOL, Dave ya scurvy dog! If it's mutiny ya want, it's mutiny ya get! Although I want no part of it, I'm a pacifist these days!
The Birdman

On 2007-07-06 12:23, T_birdman wrote:
LOL, Dave ya scurvy dog! If it's mutiny ya want, it's mutiny ya get! Although I want no part of it, I'm a pacifist these days!
The Birdman

pacifist...or pacifier....come on, get on board.....run dem' up the flagpole!!

Mutiny accepted! The 14th it is! Aaarrgh!

MN

I am down.

Isn't this next week?

Yes! :o This coming Saturday!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 7, 2007 10:56 PM

"I am down."

Does this mean you have a cold (as in "I'm down with a cold, bro.") and therefore can't in fact come, or does this mean 'I'm coming' (as in - Mark me down as a yes.)

Are there any other new expressions or revivals of 1920's jazz hipster speak I should be aware of?

Hey, I'm down too, fella! I be downstairs in da basement wit d'heater, know my snoog, pata?

T

On 2007-07-07 22:56, Cammo wrote:
"I am down."

Does this mean you have a cold (as in "I'm down with a cold, bro.") and therefore can't in fact come, or does this mean 'I'm coming' (as in - Mark me down as a yes.)

Are there any other new expressions or revivals of 1920's jazz hipster speak I should be aware of?

Hey, I'm down too, fella! I be downstairs in da basement wit d'heater, know my snoog, pata?

I assumed that "I am down." meant "I am down with it." as in an affirmative response.

Either way, I'll be there.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 9:12 AM

"I am down with it" means the same as "I am up for it". In the world of American slang down means up, and up means down. By the same token, "cool" means "hot" and "hot" means "cool". Dig?

That being said, I am both up and down for Bill's hot and cool Chop on the 14th.

Hmmm......4WD's O'Side UpDownHotCool Chop?

The 14th is good for me. I was going to go shooting, but I'll postpone that for a chop. I may bring two newbies with me if that's cool. I showed them my tiki and they shit. Now they want to chop, too. Anybody got any logs for sale?

T

I shall also be in attendance, any problems with bringing my 8 year old son? It seems I'll have a problem getting a sitter for that day.

The Birdman

Hey, how big is your backyard? I was thinking I could combine my shooting trip with the chop!!!

Me & the boy'll be ready AND down wit dat!
The Birdman

On 2007-07-09 10:40, billybobaloo wrote:
Hey, how big is your backyard? I was thinking I could combine my shooting trip with the chop!!!

It's big! Here's part of it.

Sorry, though, no discharging of firearms within city limits.

On 2007-07-09 15:27, 4WDtiki wrote:

On 2007-07-09 10:40, billybobaloo wrote:

It's big! Here's part of it.

Sorry, though, no discharging of firearms within city limits.

Yeah, that's a good sized yard, but still not big enough for .308, .223, and .30-06. Maybe we'll just bring the grenades and chemical weapons. Got any any extra logs layin' around there you'd want to part with for a price? I've got a great idea for a Shriner Tiki, but I need a whole log.

ALSO!!! I can eat normal food now, so who's bringing the Spam Sushi?

C

I don't see any logs lying around, do you 4WD?

Sorry, that pic was taken in January, note the semi green grass! I have no more logs. :o

Pages: 1 2 87 replies