Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Oceanside Chop July 14th officially!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 4:24 PM

Spam musubi will be made. :) I think we can get some yakisoba noodles later in the day as well. (The other advantage to O'side).
Hey, I'm about due to make some silicone molds of a few more small carvings I've got, are people interested in seeing it done? If I'm really organized, I can have one that we can pour, then another that will be set enough to pull from the mold.

On 2007-07-10 16:24, mieko wrote:
Spam musubi will be made. :) I think we can get some yakisoba noodles later in the day as well. (The other advantage to O'side).
Hey, I'm about due to make some silicone molds of a few more small carvings I've got, are people interested in seeing it done? If I'm really organized, I can have one that we can pour, then another that will be set enough to pull from the mold.

I'd just like to take this moment to reaffirm my love for both spam masubi and yakisoba noodles.

I'd like to see the silicone mold process too, please.

B

Me too Mieko....I'm traveling light this Chop - working smaller. I'm posting up at the table with you.

We still have a baby due any day...I hope it happens on a work day.

Since many people already know exactly where I live, how about the people who DON'T know, PM me for directions.

We'll be opening at 9AM, and we can go til whenever!

I'll be having some type of food, to be determined later. Anyone who wants to bring something to share, (AKA potluck) feel free! I have a nice gas grill, and many coolers. :wink: And as an added bonus, I don't have to drive home. :P

So the wife should be able to make it down there this weekend. Doesn't look like work will hold us up this time. Can't wait to see everyone. If anyone needs anything from Vegas before we leave let me know.

B

uhhhh...don't bring rum! I have enough rum here, left over from the last Chop, to kill a rhino. Short on mixers though....Plates, forks, cups, napkins....I got-um

On 2007-07-10 20:47, Babalu wrote:
uhhhh...don't bring rum! I have enough rum here, left over from the last Chop, to kill a rhino. Short on mixers though....Plates, forks, cups, napkins....I got-um

Is there any left over mai tai mix? (Moki is an excellent bartender.)

So how many people might need logs?

Buzzy Out!

If anyone has extra logs, I could use one.

I need a log if you have one available and I'm bringing two newbies with me. I know one wants to carve, but not sure about the other. I think he just wants to drink and watch......can't be sure though, because all I was going to do was watch.......now, if I had 20 logs, I sill wouldn't have enough.

M
Moki posted on Fri, Jul 13, 2007 6:42 PM

Is there any left over mai tai mix? (Moki is an excellent bartender.)

Unfortunately, we won't be making this one. But don't worry, I taught Clysdalle the recipe. He'll do fine. Just make sure he washes his hands before squeezing the limes. :wink:

Hey, sorry for the late info, but if anyone still wants logs ( Fan Palm ) I've got 6 or 7 pieces stashed outside my friends store in Oceanside that I just don't know when I'll be able to get around to carving. They're 4-7' long and not to thick. If you're interested shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] or I'll try and check back here if my heads not to foggy. - Jason

Jason, sent you a PM with the address. Those logs sound close enough that we could go get'em if we need'em.

Got your info, thanks. Ya, they are right down the road from you. If you're where I think you are I've driven by your place more times than I can count. I've got a buddy who lives just past you. See you tomorrow. - Jason

hey everyone , im glade to say my wife grandma is stable and doing well, my wife and i are coming to the chop, she could use some time out and she said she would like the drive and to meet all the great people i told her about from the last chop. 4wdtiki please pm the directions to yor house see you guys tommorow

Sam, PM sent with the address.

Wow! 2 chops, 2 power outages knock out alarm clock! What are the odds!? It's 10:30 and I'm out the door & on the road!
The Birdman

B

Thanks for another great Chop at your place, Bill. Or should I say Chop/Mug/Pendant/Sculpt/MoldPour/ShootingGallery?! They just keep getting better!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Dave

C

Thanks 4WDriver, you're the host with the most. Sorry I had to cut out but we had the world's most boring wedding to attend. The only good part was Billy Watson was the entertainment, which kicked butt. It was like an accountant's wedding. You can imagine. Billy Watson. Old accountants. Holy Crap! Lots of Jack Daniels, though.

Anyway, everybody was asking about that eraser stuff I carved - so I'll make that my Oasis demo. There's some really great uses you can put the stuff to. Easier to carve than soap. I used an X-Acto only.

Try looking it up under 'Speedball Eraser Carving' or "Staetler Eraser Carving', they both make the stuff. You can get it at "The Art Store", upstairs, in downtown San Diego.

And - I'll also do a demo on blending stains using wood wetted down with paint thinner. I used Red Chesnut and Ebony on that fish, both of which were suggested by Tiki Master Buzzy!

And, I'll show how to transfer a drawn image to wood.

How's that?

Did everybody have fun????

On 2007-07-15 10:24, Tikidav wrote:
Thanks for another great Chop at your place, Bill. Or should I say Chop/Mug/Pendant/Sculpt/MoldPour/ShootingGallery?! They just keep getting better!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Dave

Yes, GREAT fun chop, Bill. Even though I destryed a beautiful peice of wood.......I'm still all tore up about it, man......thinking of what I could have done with it had I not.....well, you know what I mean.

No pellet guns next time.

Hey Folks! I enjoyed the chop (They're habit forming, huh!?) 4wd is an excellent host, thanks brother! Cammo, you left before I was even able to get there, see you next time! Clysdale was following his promise to keep on my ass, thanks to you bro (I think?), Billybob was filling the air with his unique ambiance (No thanks bro!), and everyone else for being an all around good group of folks! Here are a few pics I took.

The Birdman

Man, it turned into quite an enjoyable chop, after all the shooting stopped!

My yard has a fresh layer of wood chips, on top of the layer from the June chop. (I believe in the Buzzy Method of Lawn Maintenance.) :wink:

We had some tikis started, some tikis finished, some ideas discussed, some alcohol consumed, some bodies sunburnt. I call that a success! :D

B

Woah, another killer Chop! How many of these have we had now? I guess the following images speak loader than words, however, Kate wanted me to remind Clysdalle that this tiki she was sawing on, is done. :)

GREAT pics, guys!!! I forgot to sign my permission slip for Tiki Village at Oasis. Who's got those?

great time everyone!!! man, every one just gets better and better.....

Hey I also didn't get to sign the slip....forge my name..it's all good!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 9:48 AM

I've got the slips, maybe we can do a meet up at the Thursday night pre-party at the Bali Hai and get the rest of them signed? If you miss us (me or Cammo) there, we can probably have people sign them as soon as they show up to chop.

Is anyone going to need help stripping logs before Oasis? If so, I'm down!!

I forgot to sign my slip too. Oops.

Thanks again Bill for hosting another great Chop.

I'm in the home stretch with my tiki. I just need to break through that last area of the headdress and get all the detail carved into the body and sand him and stain him. Okay, maybe not the home stretch. Let's call it the final lap. But I swear he's not showing up at the next Chop unless I decide to bring him to Oasis to decorate my space.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 5:40 PM

Kate, bring the little guy to the Oasis! He's a great piece of work, probably the best you've done. I really like it. You could decorate your space and your room with it. One hand carved Tiki is worth an entire warehouse full of plastic junk bought from Party City.

Clysdalle has promised to humbly apologize in front of all of us for saying you couldn't finish it.

What stain color????

Great Chop! Creativity and laughter was flying full speed! From Babalu’s talented fingers molding a new tiki mug, to Meiko demonstration on casting, to DaveTiki’s intricate new pendants.

I myself can’t believe I got so much done on the new tiki. I hand-striped, sanded, sketched a new design, drew it onto my newly stripped log and carved all in one day.

Buzzy thanks for the invaluable tips on duplicating the sketch onto the log. Thank you 4WTiki for the sanding/power tool tips and the chalk line tip. Thanks Kate keeping the faith with using hand tools and not being tempted by the lure of Clysdale’s evil chain saw.

I don’t think I could have done it with out the power of the Spamsubi, Yakasoba and the positive creative energy of this group!

CheekyGirl's camera battery died, so here are her first two progress shots.

Huzzah. It's the new log. Huzzah.

The shaving of the log.

So in cleaning up, I see some left behind items. A box of Crayonex crayons, a can of spray urathane (Mieko?) and a red hand truck (Eric?). Anyone want to claim items, I can bring to the next chop.

On 2007-07-17 17:01, 4WDtiki wrote:
So in cleaning up, I see some left behind items. and a red hand truck .

crap! Zaya, I need you to swing by Bill's for me...please.

Buzzy Out!

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jul 17, 2007 5:24 PM

It's going to cost ya. :wink:

Great Chop!

Keep the crayons 4WD. And keep them outa the sun.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jul 17, 2007 8:00 PM

Yeah, probably mine, can of Deft spray lacquer? It's my fav stuff by the way, especially for the little stuff, dries fast and looks good. I like the satin more than the semi gloss, but Home Depot was out of the satin.
Bring it to the chop if you think about it, or I'll pick it up later, no hurry.

Mieko

Weee, free crayons.:D

I finished my chop tiki yesterday, here it is.

I based it off of one of Mieko's pendants, but word is, she can't see the resembance. :P

Nice bro, more for me to copy from! Lol!

Yeah, nice tiki, man!! That mask piece you gave me is coming along nicely as well. Maybe I'll bring it to Cammos tonight.

Nice work.

Kate, thanks for the work in progress pictures. I'll post some pictures soon of the new "West-Cheeky" Tiki. My "Leaf Me Alone" Tiki is finally compelete...burned and stained.

I tell you..these chops are turning into my most favorite thing!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies