Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 10:01 AM

Keep Bam Bam Ben away from my fish!!!!

I'm not understanding this whole burning our work business, Grog. Is your buddy sure he wants to upset 30+ people with razor sharp chisels and mallets?

B

Actually, It sounds kind a fun Ben/Grog...Like an SD version of Burning Man. I'll bow and offer up some play time work to the Gods! Maybe it will bring me some needed luck? Will have to think of a face design that would look bitchen burning...he can't be a happy tiki. Anybody know any good fire dances?

Bring some charcoal fluid...my log's a little moist....no, wait a minute, that didn't sound right...my logs a little wet....ahhh, nope again...my carving palm wood material will needs to be dosed in combustible fluid before an attempt can be made to light up the night sky with it...Yeah, that's what I mean to say!

Shoot...I may have to push this into Sunday...sounds more like a party everyday :-)

T

On 2007-08-06 14:05, Cammo wrote:
Josh baby,

YOU'RE IN!

Just come to the Oasis, head over to the Carving Village, and ask for Billy Bee. He'll set you up. We may (you'll have to check with Buzzy) have both logs for cheap (if you want one all to yourself) and some test chisels for you to use. Don't worry, I'm not kidding, come on down, everybody is invited, everybody's more than welcome.

I think we'll have a demo log that anybody can try carving on, and one for old hand pro's to carve a section of...

Awesome! I've got some crappy chisels of my own, so I'll bring those, but I'll be happy to try out a demo chisel or two. It never hurts to know what you're missing.
Some stuff came up that weekend so I think I'm only going to be able to get down for Sunday though. Still, a whole Sunday carving beats a whole weekend of sitting around on my butt!
Good times! I'll bring the ice chest and some rum!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 12:56 PM

Everybody's been PMing me asking some really strange questions about the Chop, so here are the basic facts:

We'll be there Friday to Sunday, 10:00-5:00 every day at the Oasis.

There will be 25 carvers involved, many are regulars from our monthly Tiki Chops.

Anybody, and I mean anybody, who wants to try Tiki carving should come out and give it a go. We'll have demo logs set up to try carving on, as well as cheap palm logs you can buy, carve, and take home. We'll help you, and show ya the ropes.

Only the signed-on carvers get a Carving Village pendant; 33 now, including volunteers & assistants. We'll auction off some extra pendants, and I'll paint your name on them.

We'll have a Tiki Auction of really good stuff at 3:45 on Saturday (right after the Bum's talk) and 2:00 on Sunday (after Otto's talk). TCers should hit the Saturday one, there will be some specials going that day.

We'll also have stain and cans of Poly and Spar there to play with.

Carvers will be doing demos, but times are impossible to pin down, it's a very loose thing. We'll post times on the big board in the lobby if possible. We've generally decided to just chop Tikis all weekend, the whole thing is one big demo.

All the carvers will be using hand tools only, no power.

All the carvers will be coming and going constantly, checking out Oasis events too, so it'll be different every time you stop by.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 7:07 PM

And don't forget to have a fire extinguisher on-hand should a drunken Bamboo Ben show up.

On 2007-08-07 10:28, billybobaloo wrote:
I'm not understanding this whole burning our work business, Grog. Is your buddy sure he wants to upset 30+ people with razor sharp chisels and mallets?

You think that'll deter him? You don't know Bamboo Ben very well, do you?

MY log was wet today,as well.......must be something going around! It was too wet to get any detail, but I got her roughed out so she can dry.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 7:28 PM

On 2007-08-05 22:18, Otto wrote:

Free Munktiki mug to the man who can convince Boo to work (ie carve) during his vacation
(it has to be a real carving, not a few whacks at a log)

Otto, is this the Tiki Oasis mug, or a different Munktiki mug?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 9:24 PM

Oh crap, GROG is on the case. If anybody can make Bam Bam do it he can...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 10:18 PM

Nope, Mrs. Boo is the only one that can get Ben to do anything.

On 2007-08-07 19:07, GROG wrote:
And don't forget to have a fire extinguisher on-hand should a drunken Bamboo Ben show up.

On 2007-08-07 10:28, billybobaloo wrote:

You think that'll deter him? You don't know Bamboo Ben very well, do you?

He likes fire WAY too much. Keep him away from the stains and glazes!

Just a reminder: SAFETY GOGGLES PEOPLE!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 8:22 AM

Do beer goggles count?

Hey Man!

I go away for 2 weeks and come back to a bunch of Bamboo Ben Bashing.

WTF???!!!

I'm bummed out, man!

Screw this place.

I'm out of here!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 8:34 AM

No bashing-----just telling it like it is!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 9:44 AM

Yer big pally-pal GROG started it.

We LIKE you.

now see what you did GROG, you made Ben sad, and he's gonna not be here anymore.

Doh indeed...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I guess now would be a good time to bring up the logs for the Tiki Oasis Carving Village

Here are a few of the logs we cleaned and hauled this weekend that are now waiting to be turned into tikis real soon:

All these will be completely stripped and chisel ready for the event. There are also a few more I still need to defrond that you cannot see in this picture.

We will provide the following (logwise) at the Tiki Oasis Carving Village:
#1. Free carving logs to all carvers who have attended a chop event in the past.
#2. A couple large open group logs set up for anyone to carve on at the event.
#3. Several nominally priced cleaned logs for guests to purchase for their own carving needs, for use either at the event or for later in their carving careers.

This weekend, I'm planning on getting as much as cleaning and sizing of these logs done as possible. If you have a preference for the size of your log, let me know and we'll try to get it to your specifications. Otherwise, I'm just bringing a whole mess of whole and half logs and you all can pick out the one that calls you.

So, it would be helpful if anyone who needs a log for the event could let me know what size you think you might want, or any other special log order requests at this time.

Thank you very much,
Buzzy's Log House

On 2007-08-08 08:28, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Man!

WTF???!!!

I'm bummed out, man!

Screw this place.

I'm out of here!!!

I heard there was going to be a Ben Bashing Booth.

H

I will be there since Grog says BamBen is going to be there. Buzzy I will PM you regarding the log..:)
See you all there.
Hopefully.

On 2007-08-08 10:13, Daves Not Home wrote:

On 2007-08-08 08:28, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Man!

WTF???!!!

I'm bummed out, man!

Screw this place.

I'm out of here!!!

I heard there was going to be a Ben Bashing Booth.

Ben sounds pretty FLAMED UP over your pyro jokes, man.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 11:55 AM

A wee bit hot under the collar, n'est pas?

T

Buzzy--
Sending you a PM about a log.
Thanks!

Alright people, keep them log requests coming...

Diameters and quantities of the logs I have on hand right now are:
2 - 8"
2 - 9"
4 - 10"
2 - 12"
1 - 13"

I plan on cutting these down to 1.5-3' sections and splitting some of them.

C-Ya!
Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 1:08 PM

Buzzy, if you need help hauling logs to the Chop, my truck has volunteered me.

On 2007-08-08 13:08, Tikidav wrote:
Buzzy, if you need help hauling logs to the Chop, my truck has volunteered me.

Are you coming to Buzzys on Sunday?

This is PROBABLY going to be my chop log, because it was so wet that I had to stop in my tracks. It was like trying to carve sugarcane, man. If it's not dry enough to finish by oasis, I'll just be doing a little half-log.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM
myspace.com/billytoney

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-08 16:59 ]

Today's cleaned logs:

From l-r: TikiJosh, group log #1, clysdalle, and two unspoken for small split logs.
Much more to come...

Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 9:08 PM

On 2007-08-08 13:19, billybobaloo wrote:

Are you coming to Buzzys on Sunday?

I won't be able to make it on Sunday, guys!

Hey Cammo-

Is there any truth to the rumor that Tiki Daddy will be carving at your Chop?

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 9:31 AM

I will neither confirm nor deny. But if we can, we're going all out to get Madame Borgia to be there. Look at the Oasis site!!!...

On 2007-08-09 09:31, Cammo wrote:
I will neither confirm nor deny. But if we can, we're going all out to get Madame Borgia to be there. Look at the Oasis site!!!...

Email has been sent to Miss Borgia and I'll pass the news as I get it.

I'm just having a grand old time cleaning logs today. Here are some of today's new arrivals:

In there are logs for Mieko and Tbirdman. The rest are still unclaimed

And these 4 pieces will be stripped naked quite soon:

Moments away from having 15 personal logs and one group log ready.
I'm blazing through these pretty fast, so there may not be much to do on Sunday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-08-09 16:08 ]

Cool, man!! All we'll havr to do on Sunday is chop and drink Pepsi! Sounds good to me!

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-09 15:45 ]

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-09 15:52 ]

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-10 03:25 ]

Hey billybobaloo!
Congrats on 100 TC posts!
You're just about to become promoted to a TC Socialite...
That's way better than being on a poster.

I think you being excluded is racism, pure and simple.
Or maybe your name was too long...

By the way.
You DIDN'T get on one of these either.

I mean they didn't print a personal picture for you either. I didn't want to imply you were getting on anything.

I Have A Dream! This image will be buned into your retinas forever!
Buzzy Out!

Yeah........I wouldn't want to be "getting on" that. What star-struck celebrity name-dropper made that flyer, man? I may be new and may have slaughtered a beautiful log, but I think this is a pretty good save....this is what's left of it=

and here's that piece of scrap I got from 4WDtikis backyard

What, I suck?

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-10 03:35 ]

Hey Billy, that's nice...I'm glad to have contributed the use of my 20 oz. mallet!

Thanks, Cheeky! That's a nice mallet......must get me one. How are those "Pink Cheeky Monkies" coming?

M

Holy cr@p Billy! Those guys look great!! You're fast!!

Log update:

So far I have 21 individual project logs and one group log done. I still have two group logs to plane, and three more logs to defrond and plane. From those logs, I will get 18 more split individual pieces. Looks like I can provide 39 individual projects pieces and between the three group logs, about 18 more people can be accomodated.

A few of you said that you have your own logs that you're bringing. Could you all please check in with me just so I can get a rough estimate of how many people there are who I do not need to worry about.

Finally, if some of you have your own logs, you should bring those to use. Most of these logs are a little damp still. They might not be ready by auction time. At best, there are only a dozen split pieces that will be ready that fast.

Buzzy Out!

I contacted Lady Borgia, guys and she plans on joining us for the chop. Although she appears to be chopping in this picture, it is just a clever parody and she claims to have no real knowledge of the fine art of carving tikis. I'm still too new to give any real direction, so we'll need a volunteer coach. Any takers?

You know, with all of the talent and creativity we get to work around at every chop, I'm amazed that EVERYBODY isn't picking it up fast.

Today, Tiki got teeth.....and it's first snack, Paco!

Hola Crayola.........bb clean up your woodchips when I get home!!!

T

Lady Borgia was carving in my booth at the Roy Varga pinup barbque . That is where she aquired her carving skills .She was actually teaching me a few techniques during that pic . I hear she will be wearing this same outfit at the chop as well . Tiki-Ray

Yeah, she said those were your tikis and chisels she was posing with. Since you already know her, you should be her coach, man.

T

It is my job to spend time with all pinups , not just one .Work, work, work !

You know......I looked a little closer at the photo........and she has the chisel upside-down.

Potential Helpers:
PM me if any of you plan on helping out tomorrow. Thinking about 11am. After tomorrow, I'm not doing any more log work, so whatever we have done tomorrow is it.

Still have 3 big logs to husk, plane, and split and one husked that needs planing

Buzzy Out!

My partner (in crime) took a little spill on his bike last night so I was short 33% of my team today.

Final log count is as follows:

33 individual split or round logs, 3 group logs, 1 reserve log

The following people have PM'd me and requested logs and will be guaranteed a log for the chop:
Cannibal Sam, Father of Sam, Hiltiki, 4wd, Tiki Lee, Billybobaloo, Babalu, Tbirdman, Mieko, Tiki Kate, Clysdalle, Tikijosh, and Cammo.

The rest of the 20 log pieces will be for sale at the chop area on a first come first basis. The prices are $5-10 per piece.

There will be two group logs available for guests to try carving for free. These two logs wil accomodate about 12 people.

This concludes my pre chop prep work. I might need someone who is going early on Friday to swing by and grab a few pieces to take down there.

See you all there! :)

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies