Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies

The girls are definitely some of the hardest workers at the chops. I think they bring the Musubi just to keep us distracted!!(drool, the food of the gods!)

T

They carve tooo ? Cammo said they were there just to make sandwiches .( Tiki-Ray just realized that he will be at Oasis with these razor sharp chisel weilding women )"Just kidding girls . Can I buy you a Mai Tai ?"

On 2007-07-26 14:54, TIKI-RAY wrote:
They carve tooo ? Cammo said they were there just to make sandwiches .( Tiki-Ray just realized that he will be at Oasis with these razor sharp chisel weilding women )"Just kidding girls . Can I buy you a Mai Tai ?"

Well let's just see how the big strong man does without his chainsaw. Who'll be running off to make the sandwiches then? :wink:

T

I do fine without the chainsaw . But I do love stirring the pot for Cammo .

On 2007-07-26 16:51, TIKI-RAY wrote:
But I do love stirring the pot for Cammo .

Me too. :D

T

Where is that pineapple goat roper anyway ??????????

C

POT?! Did somebody say POT? Count me in!

What's a goat roper? Sounds fun!

I've been at the Comic-Con today, it was alright. Word is it may move to Anaheim next year, so this may be the last year you can sneak in as a professional and glom free swag here in sunny Dam Diego.

Lets git a goat and ROPE IT! YeeeeeEEEHAH!

Professional WHAT? :P

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 8:22 AM

Professional Gate Crasher, natch.

You dressing up like an Ewok in this heat, Cammo?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 4:34 PM

Are you saying these people aren't 'cool'?

And of course...

Well........

Anyways, is someone bringing logs for the big chop, or should I locate one beforehand?

Will Bosko be carving???

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 7:19 PM

Yes, Bosko has definately confirmed that he will maybe be carving if he feels like it.

He has absolutely made it crystal clear that he may do a quick demo at the Chop if we ask him real nicely and if he isn't doing anything else that day.

Actually, come to think of it, I have no idea if Bosko is carving! Somebody should ask him!

Yeah, let's get on that.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 28, 2007 9:11 PM

OK, OK, you forced me to blab.

Yes, Bosko will be doing a carving demo, Saturday morning after 11:00. He's really excited, especially about having Billy B as his beautiful and vivacious assistant!

And here's the inside scoop - most of the carvers who have booths at the Oasis are interested in doing some Carving Village demos, chopping at anything in site, in fact. So we'll have a long demo log set up they can whack away at if they feel the need.

We don't know the exact times, but we'll post 'em when they firm up the day of the event.

Oh yeah, and don't go barefoot in the carving area, cause there's gonna be LOTS of chips flying!

On 2007-07-28 21:11, Cammo wrote:
OK, OK, you forced me to blab.

Yes, Bosko will be doing a carving demo, Saturday morning after 11:00. He's really excited, especially about having Billy B as his beautiful and vivacious assistant!

And here's the inside scoop - most of the carvers who have booths at the Oasis are interested in doing some Carving Village demos, chopping at anything in site, in fact. So we'll have a long demo log set up they can whack away at if they feel the need.

We don't know the exact times, but we'll post 'em when they firm up the day of the event.

Oh yeah, and don't go barefoot in the carving area, cause there's gonna be LOTS of chips flying!

I'm at a loss.......why does he want me to assist?

C

... because he prefers you over other men!

I don't know, he just likes your style! He probably doesn't need much help, what that guy doesn't know about the Hanalei and tiki carving couldn't get a shot glass wet.

By the way, Billy, your Official Carving Village Assistant Number is;

#AST54984-984040

Don't tell anybody.

Super secret. I'll make sure the information isn't leaked to the public.

On 2007-07-28 21:11, Cammo wrote:

So, no Crazy Al demos, eh?

C

Fred, what part don't you understand?

"And here's the inside scoop - most of the carvers who have booths at the Oasis are interested in doing some Carving Village demos, chopping at anything in site, in fact."

Crazy Al has a booth, and is real busy with that, but will try to stop by. Trying to keep Al away from a fresh palm log that needs a good chop is like keeping flies off ripe bananas.

Just hang around and keep your eyes open, this is gonna be wild.

How do you plan to get C'Al to wear shoes?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 1:18 PM

That's your job, Fred.

Your Official Crazy Al Shoe Assistant Number is

#CZA87487-9839

But don't tell anybody.

I'll wear my Security Uniform from the old days of Hardcore shows at the Olympic Auditorium:

I for one, REALLY dig Crazy Als work, but I'll be sticking with the locals and assisting Bosko...(so Cammo says)....maybe we can do our demos at the same time and I can show folks what NOT to do(like Chevy Chase in the background), while Bosko demonstates the latest chopping and burning technics.

Buzzy says we'll have a log stripping party soon, after we make the Vista pilgrimage in our respective trucks to fetch the things. Sounds like a blast! Rum and sharp, curved blades, baby.......just like a pirate party!

On 2007-07-30 14:38, billybobaloo wrote:
Buzzy says we'll have a log stripping party soon, after we make the Vista pilgrimage in our respective trucks to fetch the things. Sounds like a blast! Rum and sharp, curved blades, baby.......just like a pirate party!

Billybobaloo: You're grandfathered in...

At this point in time, I am completely disassociating myself with this entire event.

Buzzy Out!

On 2007-07-30 14:53, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-07-30 14:38, billybobaloo wrote:

Billybobaloo: You're grandfathered in...

At this point in time, I am completely disassociating myself with this entire event.

Buzzy Out!

come on buzzy...all you have to do is carve for 3 days straight to save 40 bucks :wink:

I think the whole "Celebrity" carver stuff is a bit much, man. If we keep this up, everyone in our chopping group will be backing out, one by one. As you can see by the above post, we've already lost a key member of our chop community, and that's not good. We need to a solution, here because I was looking forward to chopping and hauling logs with Buzzy.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 5:05 PM

Actually, I thought it would be fun to carve with Bosko!

When did everybody get all hoity toity? Ooooh, sorry, I'll go play mah Gran' Pee-ano now! Dinner will be served on the Veran-dah!

We've got Ray and Von Tiki and a bunch of others coming, that's the whole point of this to have a big free for all carve-a-thon that everybody, and I mean everybody, regardless of race, sex or creed (whatever 'creed' is) is invited to!

C'mon, Buzz! We know you WANT to.

Buzzy Out!

At this point in time, I am officially heartbroken and crestfallen.

I'm not sure what I missed. I went back through and read all of the posts leading up to this one. Am I so naive that the answer is out there, and I'm just not seeing it?

The only reason I'm going to Oasis this year is this one event. I'm just not the party party yahoo boy howdy type. I just wanted to hang out with my friends and carve.

What the heck happened?

P.S. If you were just kidding Buzzy, everyone can just disregard this post.

Cam - click here. So Cal = Hoity Toity It's from before my time, but is still one of my all-time favorite threads. Read the whole thing. It's got some fine comedic moments.

On 2007-07-30 18:10, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Buzzy Out!

At this point in time, I am officially heartbroken and crestfallen.

I'm not sure what I missed. I went back through and read all of the posts leading up to this one. Am I so naive that the answer is out there, and I'm just not seeing it?

The only reason I'm going to Oasis this year is this one event. I'm just not the party party yahoo boy howdy type. I just wanted to hang out with my friends and carve.

What the heck happened?

P.S. If you were just kidding Buzzy, everyone can just disregard this post.

Cam - click here. So Cal = Hoity Toity It's from before my time, but is still one of my all-time favorite threads. Read the whole thing. It's got some fine comedic moments.

I'm with ya, Kate. I know I'm new to the chop community, but it just won't be the same unless everyone makes it. Another thing too is that I don't want to be all, "Hey, Buzzy, you're upset and not coming? That sucks, man but can you still hook us up with logs?". We can't take Buzzys logs unless he's rolling with them. It just wouldn't feel right.

BUZZY, PLEASE SAY YOU WERE KIDDING!!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 7:12 PM

I don't get it. What's wrong with Bosko giving a half hour demo? Is that so painful? I mean, the guy is reputed to have carved a few tikis in his time.

And Bosko was one of the original three to teach the original Oki Oki, it just makes a lot of sense to get back together and Choppy Chop together. I mean, he taught the first Chop! What the heck?

T

Maybe I was wrong but I thought we were all going to have a group chop and enjoy it for what it is . Im usually carving anyways at Oasis so why not join . But then I saw that I was a special guest and I was a little suprised . I dont have any monolouque prepared or have anything special in mind . I thought I was just gonna come down and carve and maybe field some questions . Im always ready to help but I just dont have the time to hire a team of writers and make pie charts and graphs .Im for just enjoying the weekend and having fun talking shop while we create . You know like when Cammo attends his underwater basketweaving classes ?

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2007-07-30 19:31 ]

B

Uhhhh...Sorry dudes and dudettes...Being a caner and all, I can't do any one thing for three days straight...I'm good for Saturday.

Demo wise? Well, I thought I would try something a little Jackson Pollack'y with wood...maybe toss down a few shrooms...put arms straight out to the side...and do helicopter spins around a log all afternoon...will strike the log when the moment is just right. Yeah, I know it's a little old school, but hey, it's fun, and ya-all might learn something?

Besides, I'm allergic to all them fruity rum drinks...they make me pee green! Plus, I can never swallow those cute little umbrellas, even if I chew-um up real good first.

It will be great having you there no matter how much time you have to spend, Babalu. Caner? My ass! You're probably one of the most creative cats I've ever met! I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that Bunny-penis mug all finished up.

We need to change Buzzys mind, guys. Will somebody fix this, please?

Babs, you're silly! Thats what a Vita-Mix does, it purees the lil umbrellas so you dont have to chew!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 9:25 PM

Tiki-Ray; you're a guest and you're special but that doesn't make you a special guest. Don't get any big ideas. You'll always be just one of the guys to us duffers here at Chop Chop Charlie's Bar and Grill. You can do anything you want, just show up and throw darts at a palm log for all we care.

Hey, that's a great idea, throw darts, connect the dots and GO FOR IT! Abstract tiki style! Hey, THAT'S MY DEMO!

TBirdman - Come on down! Hurry it up! Faster!

Babs - Yer always welcome, anytime's good, everybody wants to meet the guy who makes all the weird, I mean cool looking stuff. (Bring me a six pack of Peyote buttons from that guy at Freeform, will ya?)

I'm still tapping my foot and scratching my head, man. Or am I scratching my foot and tapping my head.......

What's wrong with Bosko doing a demo? I'd consider it an honor to carve with the og revival master.

Nothing is wrong with it........but if Buzzy doesn't show, there will not be any logs to demo on anyways. I know he was MY log source, and we were going to get them ready and stripped next week, so I guess this excludes me from the chop as well. I wanted to chop and I don't have time to knock down a Mexican Fan-Palm and dry the fucker out before the chop.
I really do understand Buzzys point, even though I'm a big fan of just letting things go smoothly and forgetting personal reservations. The chop at Oasis (and these are not my words, I'm repeating them) was supposed to be a bunch of friends who chopped together, taking their show on the road, not a glorification of choppers who have commercially made a name for themselves.( I apologize if that offends anyone, but that's a common feeling among the crowd )

Imagine a frosty Mai Tai in the middle of a room full of hip convicts. It's 90 degrees farenheit. The lights go out. Me? I'm the pineapple slice.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM
myspace.com/billytoney

[ Edited by: billybobaloo 2007-07-31 02:11 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 31, 2007 4:44 AM

Billy, the whole point of this chop is for everyone in the carving community to get together and chop like crazy. Everyone. It was never a locals-only event, that was extremely clear from the start. Read the original shout-out in the carving zone.

The idea was to have spots for 10 locals and 10 out-of-towners to all get together and chop. We're up to almost 30 now.

This may be the only time in history where there will be this many tiki carvers in one spot at one time. If Otto takes the Oasis elsewhere next year, this carving party will simply not happen; the Hanalei is the only hotel with this kind of space to throw around. A bigger, fancier hotel won't let this happen on their grounds, a smaller one simply won't have the space.

And the idea of celebrity carvers is a good thing. I'm glad that some are well known, what's wrong with that? It's good for the whole community. Bosko is a nice guy. Ray actually has "I'm a Nice Guy" tattooed all over his right arm. Good for them!

Logs schmogs dude, sharpen your tools. Git ready.

Why has this turned into a "us" and "them" thing. It's just carving a piece of wood for christ's sake. now it's turning into this big ole issue. I think Buzzy owe an explanation if he's was bringing logs and now he's not. Maybe I should just stay out of this, seeing as I wasn't going to participate. This must bite for Otto.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 31, 2007 8:48 AM

Exactly. It's just carving a piece o' wood.

Anybody who wants to carve or just watch carving should go whether you be professional, non-professional but experienced, or total novice who never picked up a tool before. GROG not going to carve, but GROG go watch. And if there are professionals there carving, GROG will observe and ask questions whether they be doing demonstations or not. And if there are newby carvers there, GROG point and laugh. Either way, anybody who wants to impart some carving knowledge, or lack there of is more than welcome. This should be fun.

GROG just planning to be drunk and laugh at everybody trying to keep Bamboo Ben from lighting their logs on fire.

I heard Ben was going on a strict regimen of 151 rum so he could pee on peoples logs then just drop his ciggy butt and walk away.

Well, I am in now!! Especially if Ben is gonna light logs on fire with pee. I wasn't planning on burning my tiki. But, now.... I am all for it.
I'll supply Ben's rum for the job but, he has to eliminate on my tiki. No one else can use my brand of pee rum mixture. I mean BBU/L&H151. I officially hold intellectual ownership of this brand. :P

C

So GROG, you plan on getting drunk and laughing a lot? Like, is this a new plan? I mean, when have I NOT seen you drunk and laughing a lot?

How about this for a plan, I call it the GROG Daily Planner;

1. get drunk
  2. laugh
  3. stumble around looking for cute girls
  4. mumble
  5. get more drunk
  6. look for women
  7. laugh at Bam Bam Ben
  8. take a leak
  9. try to find out if the person sitting next to you at the bar is female

repeat as needed.

I call it the GROG Daily Planner;

repeat as needed.

Hmm, I do not see a repeat happening. Just forward momentum. Then an abrupt stop.

9 more drinkin
10 grunt
11 thud or thump, splash
12 awakened in koi pond by a large hungry fish swimming up shorts

Like I said before, I'm a huge fan of everything going smoothly. Smooth is good......smooth and drunk is better. I still think we need to have our log stripping party, guys. We can discuss and fix everything then, right? We only have like two weeks to go and it's freakin' party time!!

I say that anyone who goofs this up may suffer the fate of Captain Cook!!(and I'm not going around to collect the pieces!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 343 replies