Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki obsession..Normal?

Pages: 1 19 replies

O

Is this normal?

I have been to the Poly. Village at Disney twice (staying) once (stopping in) and the place in Montreal for lunches for a straight week (decor, ++++ food.. eh.. ).

Never gave a thought to tiki.

Till a month ago.

Now it's all I can think of.. retro.. leopard print (my Mom said she'd wear her leopard print jumpsuit to my Tiki Party in September.. it's my 38th Birthday party.. not sure whether to be honored, or terrified, or a bit of both!!!).. rockabilly, 50s on 5 on the XM...

My yard is covered in wood chips and I'm searching for newly downed trees!

Is this normal?

And where does one get 2" bamboo in bulk? (both for a bar facing, and a japanese deer-scare fountain).

OotWoods.

No. You're gay.

:lol: Sorry, couldn't refrain a reference to that recent thread, just kidding. ...though that leopard print obsession... I don't now...

Your leopard print thirst will be quenched with "Tiki Modern", where I dedicated a whole chapter to this taste aberration. Get the new Tiki Magazine once it comes out (in a month or so), there will be a little glimpse of leopard primitivism a la Witco in there. :)

On 2007-07-16 17:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
No. You're gay.

:lol: Sorry, couldn't refrain a reference to that recent thread, just kidding. ...though that leopard print obsession... I don't now...

I love it when Sven makes me laugh. I guess it's just extra funny when this stuff comes from a stoic German guy.

You'll be okay, ootwoods. Don't worry.

D

ootwoods where are located ? many places to get the bamboo.

O

On 2007-07-16 18:01, dibroc wrote:
ootwoods where are located ? many places to get the bamboo.

North Eastern PA.. about an hour from Philly.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 9:19 PM

On 2007-07-16 16:47, ootwoods wrote:
Is this normal?

Decidely not! :lol: But it sure as hell is fun! :D :D

T

Ootwoods...

Welcome to the cult, um, I mean....CLUB.

Just make sure you drink your Kool Aid from a TIKI MUG....anything from Tiki Farm will do.

I got hooked as a young kid watching the Brady Bunch HAWAII episodes...

My TIKI affection laid dormant until about 12 years ago, when I moved to LA, and somehow the TIKI OBSESSION GENE reared it's ugly head....

A few trips to Wacko,...BOOM...Tiki News....OTTO, Sven, the Book of Tiki, and I realized I was not the only person with this righteous disease.

Let's see...where has it led ME ? My new Exotica Record (Tikiyaki Orchestra, "StereoExotique" http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com) 4 trips to Hawaii, and recent Big Island Condo Purchase...where does it end?

Have fun with your new obsession. The tiki obsessed are good people too. Many great tiki artists here to to get your art and carvings from....

ALOHA !

Welcome to the world of the obsessed. One day your just mildly attracted to tropical prints and bamboo furniture....the next day it has taken over your life....you can't stay off this board, you dedicate your life to building a tiki bar in your home, your surfing the net for tiki mugs, bizarre lamps, exotic music, cocktail paraphanalia....every waking moment is spent reminiscing about retro/poly art that was part of your childhood. Have fun!!!

M

I personally don't know anyone here that could remotely resemble "obsessed over Tiki".

Yesterday before my 13 yr old daughter left for Cali, I took her to the forbidden cabinet and handed her a minty example of the Voodoo Grog (since she will be rummaging with meh Ma) I made sure she knew what to look for, for Daddy. He He He.

No worries !

Back to work now.

Mahalo

McTiki

it's Abby someone....

oh yeah Abby Normal that's it.

TT

On 2007-07-16 22:58, VampiressRN wrote:
Welcome to the world of the obsessed. One day your just mildly attracted to tropical prints and bamboo furniture....the next day it has taken over your life....you can't stay off this board, you dedicate your life to building a tiki bar in your home, your surfing the net for tiki mugs, bizarre lamps, exotic music, cocktail paraphanalia....every waking moment is spent reminiscing about retro/poly art that was part of your childhood. Have fun!!!

Hey, How do you know about my life?

S

Ah, fresh blood! The brain machine is working! You need a puffer fish lamp to slake that thirst!

Honestly, when it is "right" there is nothing to compare. And then you spend the next years trying to recreate it in your home and looking for it in the wild.

Let's call it Adult Disney Syndrome (ADS). Escapism for the over 30 (40, 50...) set.

One of the reasons there are so many former punks into tiki is that punks have a way far out sense of tacky or weird than most. This stuff is practically civilized!

No, it´s abnormal!
But who the hell wants to be normal anyway in this crazy world of ours!?

"Abby somebody"

"Abby......Normal"

WaaHoo! A grand total of 2 TCers in The Lehigh Valley now!

yeah, and I have yet to find anything local that is more exotic than the Hibachi restaurant at the South Mall.

:(

If it gets really bad, you can always go to Tiki Anonymous and confess your sins at the meetings while sipping on your tiki mug.

O

As far as I can tell, that involves going to Matt's house and ogling his Tikis.

:)

I know my obsession took hold back in April.My basement was once an unused space now fought over.Mug collection topping over 70 already.
I guess as long as your not thinking of getting "Tiki Ink" like I am you'll be fine.

i guess im dun in the way overboard i'll need mass group session to be cured i just finished my rough artwork for my tiki/hotrod tattoo thats going to be ground into my body in less than two weeks !!!! yes iam an addict theres no stopppin' me now!!!except buying the whole condo on the beach thing that i dont have the cash for LOL

TL

There's a twelve step program.
You go to meetings.

Meetings are friendly, and pretty low key:

"Hi. My name's Tiki Lion and I'm into Tiki."

"Aloha Tiki Lion!"

[ Edited by: Tiki Lion 2007-08-09 14:28 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies