Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New bowl based on Frankoma War God Finished

Pages: 1 19 replies

Back in 1983 Frankoma Pottery burnt to the ground. The fire destroyed all of the tiki line molds. Only one small tiki salt shaker survived the flames. 24 years later Joniece Frank and I have become close friends. She has given me that shaker and also we share the copy write to the Frankoma Tiki line.

Our Friendship began when I sent her photos of a bowl I had made using her famous war god design. You can see that bowl on my out dated web page http://www.claytikis.com.

Starting this year I've been working with Joniece and Gecko to bring back the War God using my sculpt, Gecko's experience with ceramics and glazes and Joniece's valuable critiques. We are ready to begin sales of the first War God in Hawaiian Honu (Turtle green) Glaze. Our second release will be Alii Gold (Black with Gold eyes and teeth).

All total there will be 175 mugs total produced in 7 colors of 25 each. Look under Tiki Marketplace for more information or search Frankoma.

Here are photos of a possible new Frankoma war god bowl. The photos show it in clay after it's been baked. There is no glaze just the clay. Please let me know if I should produce this bowl. Joniece has give it a thumbs up.

My new War God Bowl

Thank you for looking, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2007-08-04 15:29 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2007-08-08 17:31 ]

wow!

They look awesome, give it a go.

Awesome awesome awesome......love the bowl especially. Great work Wendy!!! :)

Bravo Wendy!
Beautiful!
I'm partial to the Alii Gold!
Bah-ling!
:)

M

Wendy,

I remember you telling me about this endevour when we were at Vamp's place. These are very nicely done. I would run with it. I only hope to be able to get one :)

Mahalo

McTiki

i dig the tiki bowl....it would have been cool to get rid of the spear and make all three tikis be holding a drinking straw each....kinda like a tiki straw holder......

Tipsy, you have given me a great idea. Dan's given his approval so I'll get to work on it right away. No kidding.

I'm really enjoying all of the comments. This project is so very special because of Joniece Frank's return to the tiki world.

A special thankyou to Tiki Tonga (Nelson) for the excellent work he did in producing the brochure and signature card for us, they are works of art too.

Another special thank you to Joniece for allowing us to bring back her War God.
I'm about to take a photo of the back of the mug to show how they are a tribute to Joniece and her Frankoma history.

One more! A thank you to Gecko for all of his hard work in making these mugs in his studio in Ewa Beach Hawaii. Without him this project would have taken years longer, he is my Bro and I think Joniece has adopted both of us.

Cheers, Wendy

Hi Everyone, thank you for your comments and interest. Choosing colors for the mugs have been a real challenge. We are currently looking for a vintage orange with brown speckles. So far all orange glazes contain lead. Maybe that's one good reason to enjoy looking at vintage mugs rather than to drink from them. It also prevents hairlines.

Gecko choose the green and I choose the black and gold based on an old Frankoma mug. Employees use to glaze and make mugs for themselves at the factory during their meal breaks. Atomic Chick told me their projects were called Lunchbox Frankomas. She showed me one that was black with white teeth. I just upgraded to gold teeth, like the now popular grill.

The mugs are so much better that I can show in the photos. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. I am so thrilled to be working with and learning from Joniece and Gecko.

If interested in owning a mug, just send me a personal message, Wendy

On 2007-07-30 18:36, danlovestikis wrote:

Tipsy, you have given me a great idea. Dan's given his approval so I'll get to work on it right away. No kidding.

/quote]

...no problem....just send me one of dem der fancy tiki bowls when they are ready and we'll call it even!!! ......or cut me a deal on price..!! LOL

Wow, this explains a lot. I was always under the impression you were a hobbyist, but lo and behold your a bonafide ceramic artist. Just checking out your website(via dial-up so it's taking a while and it's more amazing every 3 minutes!), very nice, i love the bastard bowl. This also explains why you can get all the cool toys on the bay. Excellent work! My ceramic slot machine bank has a new goal.

Hi Mike, thank you for your message. I work clay every night after my day job. All of my projects now relate to tikis. Dan shows his talent in how he displays them within our home. We just can find any activity that is more fun or brings more people into our lives, Wendy

On 2007-07-31 17:46, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi Mike, thank you for your message. I work clay every night after my day job. All of my projects now relate to tikis. Dan shows his talent in how he displays them within our home. We just can find any activity that is more fun or brings more people into our lives, Wendy

and both excel! wendy made this great mug: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1935&ind_mug_id=5589 . she also sculpted da bloody maori that she made with gecko. dan has great displays around their house, but it's the jungle room that will blow your mind! dan has created a jungle paradise with one of the best vintage mug collections anywhere. his gecko collection is amazing also. the jungle room features: tikis, masks, vines, plants, jungle exotica music, mood lighting and twists and turns through the large room that bring you to one after another incredible tiki mug and bowl collection. they're also two of the nicest people anyone could hope to meet. viva danlovestikis!

With Wendy's sculpting talents and Dan's unique tiki decorating skill....those two are a power-house duo!!!

Ah...the Jungle Room.....fabuuuuuluuuuus. :tiki:

I thought I would check my thread before bed and I think I will sleep very well after these posts, thank you Vamp and King, what great friends you are. I'm still not sure if we have as many tiki treasures as Kingtiesdye and I know for sure he has me beat in the wildest brightly colored Hawaiian shirt.

Thank you again, Wendy

The prototype bowl is finished. If I do one in ceramic I will have to make sure there are no undercuts. Making a one of a kind bowl in clay is much easier. So what do ya all think? Wendy

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/251/46ba5e2d.jpg[/img]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2007-08-08 17:28 ]

Sweet. Sign me up!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 8:42 PM

Looks great :D

I just got a Frankoma large size war god from Kohalacharms. It was the only one he had but he knows that Joniece Frank and I are close friends and that she gave me the copy write. So we made a trade, in our favor because he's a very good friend also. Here's the War God.Wendy

Oh on the same trip to Oasis 9 my husband proved that he was right and that I do look like Howdy Doody

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 12:45 AM

Beautiful work wendy!

Pages: 1 19 replies