Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sams Seafood Expierence..

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

T

I still haven't been able to make it down on tiki music night yet...I'm hoping for a big attitude adjustment then.
My first impression hasn't changed much...real different opinion of the "almost lobster" than Trader Tom had.
I will never eat "almost" anything again thanks to this experience. The dish was cooked OK, but at $27 for four large shrimp, outrageously priced. I think there are places that have real lobster for about the same price as "almost" at Sams.

C

We went last Thursday night, and it was a slow night, so they were starting to close up early when we got there at about 9:15. They were SO accommodating, since we were from out of town, I begged a bit & they agreed to letting us order off of the pupu menu & some cocktails. We were very pleased with the pupus, as they were good quality & well presented. The drinks were also not bad - not the best we've had, but were far from the worst. (OK - so we had just come from the Tiki Ti, so our standards were HIGH walking in the door!!)

They also managed to find the new mugs (they weren't sure, at first, if they knew where they were) & we happily left with 1 of each. :)

All & all, a pleasant experience, with very sweet & accommodating wait staff for us out-of-towners on a tiki pilgrimage.

No more complaining!!!

Think of Sam's as a Museum!!

"Sam's Seafood.

The last part of a tiki bar left from the poly pop hay day
( circa 1960)in the O.C.." !

Don't forget every Tuesday is Tiki Tuesday all night long in the bar:

$5 Mai Tai's

$2 Hinano Beers

1/2 price Appetizers

Live entertainment at 7:00pm

On 2007-07-31 09:28, WooHooWahine wrote:
The Management of Sam's really cares about what everyone on Tiki Central thinks.

Funny thing reading this thread....we went out of our way to stop at SAM'S on our way down to Tiki Oasis 7, (I would have posted photos of some of the very nice decor but they were on the same hard drive with my stolen Tiki Oasis photos), we rolled in late on Wednesday night. Things were closing up, the crowd coming out was a younger, non-tiki types, the music - definitely not Tiki/Hawaiian/Exotica.

We told the hostess we came down from the Bay Area and just wanted to look around and take pictures. Overall it looked nice, never got to see the "old SAM'S". Would have loved to try the food since my wife and I are real "foodies", (Best food in any Tiki style Restaurant...Definitely - MISTER TIKI...though the decor is a little too 21st Century Tiki).

Now I'm still a bit unclear as to what the "management" thinks since the planned Re-Opening Celebration was scheduled the same weekend as Tiki Oasis 7?
When my wife and got a hold of someone working there, who by the way claimed to be THE PROMOTIONAL DIRECTOR FOR SAM'S RESTAURANT, we mentioned who we were, said we had been talking to "Alan" on Tiki Central since last year, http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22058&forum=1&hilite=Sams , to which she replied, "I don't know any, 'Alan'!". Then we mentioned "BambooBen" and again she replied, "I don't know who that is either!" and we said, "Oh, just the guy that did all the remodeling work over the past year!" Finally we asked point blank why they would schedule the Re-Opening on the same night as Tiki Oasis.....everyone at Tiki Central has waiting for the Re-Opening.....here's what she replied,

"WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN THE 'TIKI CROWD', WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT THE LOCALS!" :o

Needless to say we walked out of there with our mouths open and to save a 'linching' it's a good thing I don't remember her name after Oasis! :x

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2007-08-30 11:42 ]

On 2007-08-30 11:40, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

On 2007-07-31 09:28, WooHooWahine wrote:
The Management of Sam's really cares about what everyone on Tiki Central thinks.

Funny thing reading this thread....we went out of our way to stop at SAM'S on our way down to Tiki Oasis 7, (I would have posted photos of some of the very nice decor but they were on the same hard drive with my stolen Tiki Oasis photos), we rolled in late on Wednesday night. Things were closing up, the crowd coming out was a younger, non-tiki types, the music - definitely not Tiki/Hawaiian/Exotica.

We told the hostess we came down from the Bay Area and just wanted to look around and take pictures. Overall it looked nice, never got to see the "old SAM'S". Would have loved to try the food since my wife and I are real "foodies", (Best food in any Tiki style Restaurant...Definitely - MISTER TIKI...though the decor is a little too 21st Century Tiki).

Now I'm still a bit unclear as to what the "management" thinks since the planned Re-Opening Celebration was scheduled the same weekend as Tiki Oasis 7?
When my wife and got a hold of someone working there, who by the way claimed to be THE PROMOTIONAL DIRECTOR FOR SAM'S RESTAURANT, we mentioned who we were, said we had been talking to "Alan" on Tiki Central since last year, http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22058&forum=1&hilite=Sams , to which she replied, "I don't know any, 'Alan'!". Then we mentioned "BambooBen" and again she replied, "I don't know who that is either!" and we said, "Oh, just the guy that did all the remodeling work over the past year!" Finally we asked point blank why they would schedule the Re-Opening on the same night as Tiki Oasis.....everyone at Tiki Central has waiting for the Re-Opening.....here's what she replied,

"WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN THE 'TIKI CROWD', WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT THE LOCALS!" :o

Needless to say we walked out of there with our mouths open and to save a 'linching' it's a good thing I don't remember her name after Oasis! :x

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2007-08-30 11:42 ]

Regarding Sam's Seafood, I went on a Saturday night. I was very disappointed and as the above person left with their mouth open so did everyone in my dinner party. Here's what happened;

First there is no parking like they had at the old Sam's, there is a small park your self lot and then the large part of the lot is for vallet parking, which they pretty much force you to do or you can drive around forever waiting for someone to leave. When we walked in alot of people were walking out, we asked them is it closing and they said no but the music is forcing us to leave. When I heard the bad cover band doing a prince song then a Journey song, I knew why, really bad band and so loud. Even though they were in the bar and we were in the restaurant part we had to yell at each other to have a conversation. Then our waitress came, I ordered a blue hawaiian she came back and said we dont make those and dont have the stuff to make them, okay how about a mai tai, again she came back and said oh were out of part of the stuff you need to make them, okay how about a frothie ice drink, she came back yet again to tell me they dont have a blender! I ended up with just a coke! Then I asked her about the tiki mugs, I had to ask 6 times as she kept forgetting, finally she said she would bring me one, but she came back and said there are none. We ordered our food and I went to sneak a peek at the bar, No more WWII plane emblems on the walls, the fencing is gone around the tables too. Then I went to the restroom, I was sad as I realized the clam shell phones were gone! Our food was okay, but just okay. The best part or horror part is that we know a co-owner and told them about our experience and about the blender, we were told that before it opened they sat down and all agreed no blender as the noise would disrupt the mood & the theme of the restaurant. What theme and with that crap band it is already fuined! This place was made for the flip flop beach going party crowd. What they dont realize is that the tiki crowd are the one's who would be faithful and go all the time. I used to drive an hour and a half just to go to the Lucky tiki Bar, Sam's Seafood is 10 minutes away and I wont be making that drive again! Believe me I was a huge fan of Sam's Seafood,loved it but now I am heart broken!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2007-08-30 12:25 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2007-08-30 13:11 ]

K

"WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN THE 'TIKI CROWD', WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT THE LOCALS!"

Wow, what a shame. Just from that statement alone you can tell a lot about the person who said it and their lack of business sense. They really, really need to get educated and maybe check out that interweb thingy.

WTF???
sad sad sad
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Really sounds like people I DON'T want to give my money to. It's a shame because I have fond memories of my mom and dad cruising us there every weekend in the family Plymouth Satellite.

On 2007-08-29 22:47, RevBambooBen wrote:
No more complaining!!!

Think of Sam's as a Museum!!

"Sam's Seafood.

The last part of a tiki bar left from the poly pop hay day
( circa 1960)in the O.C.." !

ahem!

TL

Bump

I keep seeing WooHooWahine reminding us of the Tiki Tuesday at Sam's protocol.

Let's give 'em the business on Tuesdays to encourage a consitently excellent Tuesday experience.

Once a beachhead is established we can insinuate our tiki tendrils into other evenings...

Lt. Tiki Lion, at your service!

I'm with ben. Quit your complaining and be happy that sam's isn't a condo/starbucks plaza.

Sams is a BUSINESS in a very good spot and is HUGE. I can only imagine how much $$$ they need to make to stay afloat, let alone turn a profit. Unfortunately, I don't believe that "tiki people" alone can save sams.
An exotic themed dance club late at night? better than a mini mall -and with all the people I saw coming and going I hope they continue to do well with their dance nights (I arrived at sams at around 11:30pm on a Saturday night and left around 1 am and people were still coming to the club!) The dance club is definately not my scene and obviuosly not yours either, but those money making ventures allows sams to STAY OPEN and offer specials for tiki people on TIKI TUESDAYS.

I don't think you should whine about sams until you've been to a tiki tuesday. Maybe that will change your perspective.

Dr. tiki mojo - I'm sorry you had a bummer of an experience on Wed night. I think that the "tiki people" opening was the mug release party, and the grand opening was aimed at bringing in the local crowd as it was barely publicized here on TC. Come back for a tiki tuesday (when you can) and I'll buy you a mai tai and hopefully your experience will be better.

On 2007-08-30 21:40, Polynesiac wrote:
I'm with ben. Quit your complaining and be happy that sam's isn't a condo/starbucks plaza.

Sams is a BUSINESS in a very good spot and is HUGE. I can only imagine how much $$$ they need to make to stay afloat, let alone turn a profit. Unfortunately, I don't believe that "tiki people" alone can save sams.
An exotic themed dance club late at night? better than a mini mall -and with all the people I saw coming and going I hope they continue to do well with their dance nights (I arrived at sams at around 11:30pm on a Saturday night and left around 1 am and people were still coming to the club!) The dance club is definately not my scene and obviuosly not yours either, but those money making ventures allows sams to STAY OPEN and offer specials for tiki people on TIKI TUESDAYS.

I don't think you should whine about sams until you've been to a tiki tuesday. Maybe that will change your perspective.

Dr. tiki mojo - I'm sorry you had a bummer of an experience on Wed night. I think that the "tiki people" opening was the mug release party, and the grand opening was aimed at bringing in the local crowd as it was barely publicized here on TC. Come back for a tiki tuesday (when you can) and I'll buy you a mai tai and hopefully your experience will be better.

Cheers!!!!!

This is a tough one. On one hand, I can see the 'Tiki Crowd' as being faithful and loyal regulars to Sam's. But on the other hand, it is a business, and they need to attract all sorts of customers in order to turn a profit.

It sounds like the Promotional Director that the good Doctor dealt with was ignorant, which is too bad. But it was difficult to tell from his post, if she was being rude about it. If she were rude, this would suggest Sam's (or at least Sam's Promotional Directory) had a low opinion of Tikiphiles. But if she were being matter-of-fact about it, then it would seem Sam's is trying to diversify its customer base.

Tiki is a loyal but relatively small segment of consumers. And while we like to think we own a place like Sam's, well, we really don't. If a place like Sam's is trying to stay in business by attracting a broader clientele, a motley crew (and I say this with the utmost affection... I'm one of them!) of people wearing aloha shirts and fezs may not jibe with their new vibe.

I'm sure the rent is HUGE! I hope they go off on their dance nights & make enough to keep the lights on! I'm sure with time they will enhance the drink options.

For those of you still complaining, I haven't seen you there on Tiki Tuesdays yet! It's not gonna take off unless they get the support for it! Next Tuesday 9/4 let's make it a group effort and show some support. AND enjoy some great 1/2 price appetizers (for under $10 you can enjoy a great Spam Musubi Rool AND a Shrimp Ceviche!) Very delicious! I saw Stentiki with a friend last Tuesday, they really enjoyed the food. And I saw Crazy Al sippin a mai-tai, his hair was perfect! AND don't forget, they are having entertainment in the bar from 7-9 ish Pat played his ukelele past nine last Tuesday. $5 mai-tai's (some like 'em, some don't.) $2 Hinano Beers (they're cold!)

Let's make next Tuesday a Tiki Central Tiki Tuesday... What do ya say? 9/4 7pm at SAM'S????

From last Tuesday's Tiki night: (Go to CA events to check out more)

Crazy Al, Blow Tiki and entourage

Look for the newest roadside attraction!!!

His name is Rick Kukahiko. He is a fire dancer and is available for luau's!
http://[email protected]

Some other roadside attractions(?)

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2007-09-19 19:23 ]

On 2007-08-31 09:38, SoccerTiki wrote:

For those of you still complaining, I haven't seen you there on Tiki Tuesdays yet! It's not gonna take off unless they get the support for it!

Driving 500 miles from Vallejo, (near Napa), we tend to make it on the days we can. Next time we know were coming down we will go out of our way to make it on a Tuesday! :drink:
Besides by then maybe they will have ironed out some of the various issues people have had there on this thread. :wink:

TL

On 2007-08-31 08:23, tikipedia wrote:
Tiki is a loyal but relatively small segment of consumers. And while we like to think we own a place like Sam's, well, we really don't.

Really?
Some of us are not going to be convinced that we don't own a place like Sam's: it's too cool for us not to belong: by default, it must be ours.
Juvenile perhaps, but waddayagonnado?

Maybe we can be convinced that (for now) Tiki Tuesdays are the current event (despite Sam's apparent service to others on other nights), and most graciously permit the management to do whatever the rest of the week to set it up.

T

I saw Stentiki with a friend last Tuesday, they really enjoyed the food.

I thought Stentiki died of a heart attack! What up wit dat?

ahem!

Ben you should do something about that cough,
maybe quit smoking???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-08-31 17:46, bigtikidude wrote:

ahem!

Ben you should do something about that cough,
maybe quit smoking???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff,

You should do something about that hair!!!!

Like, cut it off!!!

(F'in hippie!)

" I won't stop smoking until SHAG makes a nicotine patch!"

p.s. You guys are all messin' with me. Trying to get me out of my " Love is in the Air" feeling. Ain't gonna happen!!!!

Locks of Love!!!! for you hippie!!

I'm trying to find somewhere to do my wedding and Sam's looked promising. Anybody know if they would still be able to do weddings (January 12th that is!)? We wanted to do it at Forbidden Island but we have a couple youngun's who can't get into all the wonderful tiki bars out there. Or does anybody at least have an e-mail for the manager/owner I can talk to? I'm military overseas at the moment and won't be in the states until a week before the wedding!

S

On 2007-08-31 15:04, tikigreg wrote:

I saw Stentiki with a friend last Tuesday, they really enjoyed the food.

I thought Stentiki died of a heart attack! What up wit dat?

Took a bullet to heart but lucky for me it wasn't silver.

They saw me drinking a mai tai with my friend, Trader Vic...and my hair was perfect.

On 2007-09-01 00:28, swallowthstars wrote:
I'm trying to find somewhere to do my wedding and Sam's looked promising. Anybody know if they would still be able to do weddings (January 12th that is!)? We wanted to do it at Forbidden Island but we have a couple youngun's who can't get into all the wonderful tiki bars out there. Or does anybody at least have an e-mail for the manager/owner I can talk to? I'm military overseas at the moment and won't be in the states until a week before the wedding!

PM me you contact information and I will pass it on to Demi, the manager of Sam's. :)

Pages: 1 2 70 replies