Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

When is it ever cool to steal a design???

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 2:32 PM

No. Most "Rock Stars" are actually put off and offended by this type of adolescent(????) behavior.
Live and learn.

There are a lot of great tiki artist here that are willing to sign things for collectors. Doesn't hurt them to do it. It could show up on Ebay or something and maybe does but they do it, are nice about it, and their fans like them more for it.

I have learn who not to ask and its a first time something like this has happened when asking so lesson learned there.

H

On 2007-08-08 14:32, teaKEY wrote:

There are a lot of great tiki artist here that are willing to sign things for collectors. Doesn't hurt them to do it. It could show up on Ebay or something and maybe does but they do it, are nice about it, and their fans like them more for it.

They are more likely to sign things that they have made themselves. Not things made by others. Can you understand the difference?

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 2:51 PM

Don't want to jump into the politics of this whole discussion...just want to say that both designs are pretty darn cool.

It looks to me like the one that Poppa teaKey did would be very hard to cast...Judging from this one picture, it appears that one would have to cast those front feet separate, then add them on to the main body after. Also looks more like a dog to me than the original drawing.

The thing that I really dig about the drawing is the personification (hands, etc.) of the beast with the added tiki favoring thrown in. Sweet! It will make for a very cool production mug when you do decide to go that route.

Good luck to you both.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 3:08 PM

They are more likely to sign things that they have made themselves. Not things made by others. Can you understand the difference?

Probably true, but that is just because tribute items are hardly ever done.

And Squid signing his own mugs (which he has done a number of times) is this an example of made themselves.

Now think of Swampfire signing one of his mugs. It was his design but the other half of the credit goes to Squid who is an artist in the fact of bring an 2-d one perspective shot into something that can be viewed 360 degree (in every direction).

That tiki dog in ceramic has a back view, side view (times 2) top view and bottom view that my dad created. Hassan never created a back view to that dog. The little tail is the best touch to the whole mug.

Gecko did a mug to tribute Martin Denny. The coolest idea at the time and even better today. Martin Denny didn't make the mug, didn't even design the mug, but he signed the card.
That was the idea that I was going for.

teaKEY

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-08-08 15:20 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 4:29 PM

What I was going to say yesterday but TC crashed before I hit send. my response to the first post of this thread.

Posted: 2007-06-01 1:04 pm
Quote:

http://pressureprinting.com/patterson/patterson_nav.htm/ design for sale at Pressure Printing The tiki looks so real, you would think that it would bite you if you get too close.

Hassan
Being probably your biggest supporter here (was)and giving you mad props and linking your sites that sell your products, I'm taken back alittle.

" Had he asked first it would be a different story. Further more, I don't know how many he intends to make not to mention I have plans in the works to do a Tiki Dawg mug of my own"-Hassan

You know it was a Christmas gift so that wasn't an option. And yes you do know how many I will make. Zero. In the aftermath, (after Christmas) the only thing that I wouldn't be able to help you out with is asking you first. But I did ask you first before going public. About selling them, you know that I wasn't cause I told you I wasn't.

It was no secret to you or TC for I posted about it (this mug)long ago (as well as the emails to you). But you wanting to make tiki dawg into a mug, that is news to all today. And it would seem like you are mad that you had to say, which you didn't. But congrats.

I am not sure if you, Hassan, have already made your Tiki DAwg into a mug form but I, as well as other would love to see it. Personally I don't think it can be made easily. I would be pleased to see this assumtion proved wrong.

As for buying your art, my "cheap imitation" and "stupid card" will probably go elsewhere. If its great art, I can look past the artist to see good art and may desire it.

today
I too am done with this discussion.
And thinking about it yesterday the mug is still going to be a favorite of mine. Not for the fact that it was a five sec doddle from a guy that I personally think his other tikis have zero luster, almost that Florida style tiki that are sold daily on Ebay but from where this mug came from.

It was a gift from my favorite artist/person, my dad, and the reasons for creating reach far beyond money which has very little to do with real art in my opinion.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-08-08 16:35 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 4:55 PM

On 2007-08-07 13:48, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

awww c,mon....it would be refreshing to hear some negative stuff about my art for a change ...i get weary of hearing how wonderful i am all the time....plus, it would be very entertaining to me as well as others here at t.c. i'm sure.....

I don't think that you could handle it. You think all up in your face is either A:[b/] "The sign is a Tiki Farm mug" or [b]B: "Are there rights to the use of that?"

But if I had to try, and not say turd! I say maybe that your Moai lamps strike me as odd. Not a flattering Moai and that hard to screw up. Kinda a bad Jay Leno chin and the red slits don't go with stone Moais. Its one of the only lamps that I have seen not being transparent. And thats why the cuts, but its kinda a Jack-O-lantern that way. Plus I remember it being over priced when I saw it in a store once. And I never turn many tiki object down cause they are so hard to find.

I'm sure that I could think up more and I bet you could say stuff about mine (the word turd isn't helpful to anyone) but the stuff that you did for DvA was great, but then how could it not be, it was a straight copy of tried and true signs. with a twist, I'll give you that.

But I probably wouldn't go into bashing more of your art cause people have bought it and I wouldn't want to make anyone feel bad about owning anything.

teaKEY,

Your points are well taken, ESPECIALLY with the fact that this mug was a gift. A gift ergo, no knowledge of the creation and production of said "gift".

Given the fact that you did not create this mug, please tell your father that if he ever decides to actually make any more I am interested in buying one or two. I'm sure there are more TC'ers who would be as well, if not for the unusual design (I have not seen one as detailed as this) at least for the notoriety.

I mentioned in another post I believed that all of today's styles and interpretations were borrowed from images designed and made in the past. True enough quite a lot of the new production is unique, but if you look close enough, you will see influences of icons past.

PTD

Just a historical or hysterical note about the Gecko seahorse. That was made from a mold that he bought from the original Louie B family when they retired. He bought all of their old molds. We have one of theirs (we visited them in Hawaii years ago) and one of his bloody creations, just love that gore, Al too. Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 6:01 PM

DAnlovestiki, that funny you went right for the Gecko seahorse. That part earlier didn't make sense cause Gecko had no part in the look of the seahorse expect for the new glazes. Gecko bought the old molds and is carring the torch that was dropped.

Tipsy McStagger and I are back on terms from where we were before this which who knows where that was but it seems that the rain has passed.

:shecky: I'll end on a Shecky

MT

Amen, SBIM, amen! :drink:

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 6:47 PM

God that is terrible.

precisely.

On 2007-08-08 18:16, Mai Tai wrote:
Amen, SBIM, amen! :drink:

Thanks for waking me up SBIM. Your right, this is stupid. I'm moving on.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 10:20 PM

Teakey has been beating this dead horse quite awhile. Are you sure we should give up on it? It could still have some life left in it (even though it was pretty much dead by page two).

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 6:27 AM

On 2007-08-08 22:20, GROG wrote:
Teakey has been beating this dead horse quite awhile. Are you sure we should give up on it? It could still have some life left in it (even though it was pretty much dead by page two).

Grog, I wouldn't exactly call Head Hunter a dead horse, there is life in him but if this thread was dead on page two, what are you doing on page three and five? :wink:

Really the SIBM or SMIB or SBIM post has nothing to do with anything. Expect it is "retarded" to have to waste time to defend yourself from attacks.
In just the time it took for all these posting we all could have made some crappy art, right?

has anyone here watched The Illusionist (with Ed Norton)? I saw the beginning last night and I'm wondering if it's worth renting to watch the entire thing.

-Z

BM

in a word..."eenngh!"--the ILLUSIONIST is OK...not as THRILLING as that other magic flick with Wolverine & Bowie...both are kinda SLOW and there is a TWIST ENDING--thats all I'm saying ZIP IT.

...as for the art controversy...time to shake hands & bury the hatchet...with all the publicity & interest generated here, you guys should get together and mold & market that thing REGARDLESS of your feelings--you would probably sell a BUNCH and split the profits so BOTH parties would feel GROOVY about the whole mess

OASIS--a WEEK away!

On 2007-08-09 06:27, teaKEY wrote:

SIBM or SMIB or SBIM

Are you retarded?

..sb

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 8:33 AM

No, just don't care.

But the word retarded for the picture that you posted is now replaced with newer/ better words like Cognitive impaired (CI) and emotional impaired (EI)

J

I really enjoyed both The Illusionist and The Prestige! I would recommend renting them both. Just don't watch them back to back. The twist at the end of The Illusionist is really cool! And Hugh Jackman is brilliant in The Prestige, but then I find Hugh Jackman quite enthralling in everything he does :blush:

Has anyone seen 300?
I'm gonna watch it tonight while painting and
was wondering if it was as retarded as this thread.... :lol:

J

On 2007-08-09 09:22, little lost tiki wrote:
... and was wondering if it was as retarded as this thread.... :lol:

How could that even be possible?

H

Would you people please stop making fun of "retarded this..." and "retarded that...". It just so happens that my pet turtle is retarded and we are now both deeply offended.

T

Has anyone seen 300?
I'm gonna watch it tonight while painting

Super good movie. Tons of action and a great artist look about it. I wouldn't paint if I was you while watching. You probably would just want to set aside the time just for the movie.

Anyone know if a tenth anniversary edition of Booty Call will be put out on DVD?

D

has it been ten years already? why I remember it like it was just yesterday............

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 1:06 PM

The word "retarded" means slow, not stupid. So is your turtle slow, or is it stupid?

On 2007-08-09 09:57, Hakalugi wrote:
Would you people please stop making fun of "retarded this..." and "retarded that...". It just so happens that my pet turtle is retarded and we are now both deeply offended.

Realistically....probably both!

UB

T

On 2007-08-09 14:28, Unga Bunga wrote:

Looks like a skank. (lizard)

B

I love you people!
What took you so long to get here!

T

On 2007-08-09 19:39, TIKI-TONGA wrote:

turdle.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 7:55 PM
T

On 2007-08-09 19:55, teaKEY wrote:
What this mug can do with its turtle powers

oh baby, you never said you had a snapper. Arghhhhh!

Ok so this thread is dead but I thought I'd chime in as I just saw all this...(thanks alot Unga!)

Copying someones work and then ................. oh nevermind.

I like turtles.

are there any "Turtles" out there??

On 2007-08-10 06:50, RevBambooBen wrote:
are there any "Turtles" out there??

You bet your sweet ass!

H

On 2007-08-10 05:29, Matt Reese wrote:
I like turtles.

Booger likes beer.

On 2007-08-09 17:53, tekoteko wrote:

Skank = paris hilton
Skink = lizard.

Just trying to help you identify which cold blooded scaly reptile is which.

And neither of them can point both eyes at the same thing.

T

On 2007-08-10 12:18, ootwoods wrote:

On 2007-08-09 17:53, tekoteko wrote:

Skank = paris hilton
Skink = lizard.

Just trying to help you identify which cold blooded scaly reptile is which.

And neither of them can point both eyes at the same thing.

Thanks for the clarification, what made you happy today?

O

Watching a beautiful trainwreck unfold in front of my eyes!

(Appreciates virtual carnage)

Will someone please consider creating and marketing a "Retarded, Two-Headed Turtle" tiki mug? Perhaps detailed to appear as though it is eating a skink?

There appears to be quite a following for one in this thread.

And please don't tell me I stole your idea. :)

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-08-10 14:50 ]

On 2007-08-09 08:03, bb moondog wrote:
...with all the publicity & interest generated here, you guys should get together and mold & market that thing REGARDLESS of your feelings--you would probably sell a BUNCH and split the profits so BOTH parties would feel GROOVY about the whole mess...

Though it's not what's been happening here (or, is it?), Moondog's on to what could be a brilliant marketing strategy. A couple of "temperamental artists" stage a carefully orchestrated atomic flame war over who owns a mug design, with accusations, recriminations, denial, sarcasm, taunts and threats, self-pity..., the works. They draw everyone into the horrible spectacle as a participant or spectator. When the thread reaches 20 or 30 pages, they pretend to "bury the hatchet", fall in love, agree to collaborate, and sell out in days a thousand-piece "limited edition" run of the now-legendary mug.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-08-10 18:33 ]

i like the mug. teakey's dad makes some cool stuff. since it's a one off not for sale, i think head hunter should lighten up and take it as a compliment that teakey and his dad liked his work enough to make it. as for it being a "horrible mug", i think it's a very accurate representation of the drawing.

N

As for Headhunter, he's going to be appearing at the Tiki Island at the Bali Hai art show in San Diego. I say we give him a group hug and show him that we care. Whatta you say?

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2007-08-11 23:55 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies