Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Latest Painting by Tikicutie of rare, collectible mugs

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

Hi art and mug lovers!

Introducing my latest painting "THE BARBEQUE OF THE FALSE IDOLS", its online debut!

I never got around to posting this painting on TC when I finished painting it in March. Since then it has been viewed live at 4 different art shows...

So now I am finally putting it online for all you mug collecting fiends and art collecting connoisseurs to view. Of course the original is for sale, as well as beautiful giclee exact replica prints on canvas.

Do you recognize many of your favorite mugs? Can you name them all? (It's ok, even I need help). I based the images off of research from the most venerable Dr. Z's collection just before the disassembleyment of the Castaway Lounge. (What? I can make up words if I want. Spellcheck suggested "disembowelment" as a replacement!)

In this painting you will find hard-to-find treasures and current popular favorites all being grilled on the tiki hibachi (as seen in The Book of Tiki) by a Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room drummer god.

Why is he grilling tiki mugs, Tikicutie? Well, he feels like people who collect tiki mugs worship their collections to such a degree that they forget to worship real tiki gods, such as himself. He considers the little ceramic sculptures to be false idols, and is destroying them in the best way he knows how. FIRE! Jealousy can do a lot to anger a god. Just ask Ulysses.

I hope you tiki enthusiasts out there enjoy the little details, all the way from the paper umbrellas to the 1960's color-coordinated bamboo fondue fork handles.

This painting is the first one I have signed "Rarabird" as someone convinced me that I needed an "artist name", and that "Rarabird" was appropriate. All previous paintings had my citizen name signed at the bottom.

Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing the original or various sized canvas giclee prints at lower costs.

I also do commissioned pieces...do you have a mug you just can't get your hands on? Why not get a painting of it while your search continues? Or of an album cover, tiki carving...anything you like...I can paint it!

[email protected]
http://www.myspace.com/rarabird

Cool painting. Alot of classic mugs being reprewsented there. How much are the giclees?

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 3:26 AM

Awesome stuff there Cutie!

Brilliant work.

Thanks for sharing.

Mahalo

McTiki

T
Tabu posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 3:49 PM

I love it. Nice renderings of all those mugs. The drummer god seems so sinister.

HEY.....those are awsome. I especially love your Barbeque of the False Idols. Thanks for posting all those pics...the colors are great. :)

Great work! You've got some skills!!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 6:38 AM

I certainly like it. The mugs look like photographs strung up.

"Well, he feels like people who collect tiki mugs worship their collections to such a degree that they forget to worship real tiki gods, such as himself."-tikicutie

here's a insightful question:
I see the beauty of the painting as being part of the great mugs represented. If I bought the painting for the look of the mugs, is that the wrong reason to buy it? And is this painting an anti-mug collectors painting?

T

HI TeaKey,

"If I bought the painting for the look of the mugs, is that the wrong reason to buy it? And is this painting an anti-mug collectors painting? "

What an insightful question!

There is no right or wrong reason to buy art. Buy it because it pleases you, and no other reason.

I was hoping that mug lovers would like the representation of the mugs, basically...and in buying the painting and displaying it as a love for their mugs (or ones they cannot get), also be embracing the idea that the passion of collecting is a burning desire.

I can see how you might consider it an "anti-mug collector's painting", but I can't see many anti-mug collectors buying a painting about rare mugs if they don't really care about mugs that much.

This is also a painting for Tikiroom fanatacists (myself being an admitted one. Hello, my name is Tikicutie, and I worship Walt Disney's Enchanted Tikiroom. Hello, Tikicutie). The god in the painting is really just saying that the Tikiroom gods are more powerful than the desire to collect mugs, and that really worship should be focused on tiki gods.

But somebody who buys this painting really shouldn't be buying it for the underlying theme, I would hope they would be buying it because it has cool mugs in it, is fun to look at, and is an entertaining representation of a couple of the true hearts of tiki culture.

Not many tiki paintings come with a message. This one just happens to be a light herated poke at something like mug collecting, and I would hope that the serious mug collectors are the first ones to get the joke and embrace it.

And hopefully buy some art!

Tikicutie

Not only a great concept but fantastically executed as well! Awesome Tikicutie!

Thank you thank you thak you everybody for your compliments!

Fantastic painting!

Great work!
Saw this one at the TikiFarm Parking Lot Sale AND Safari Sam's show a little bit back! Not sure if we met as I have a memoryproblem....Love this painting! Cool style,great concept and colors! Welcome to SoCal by the way! Can't wait to see what you have coming up in the future :)

On 2007-08-11 11:49, little lost tiki wrote:
Great work!
Saw this one at the TikiFarm Parking Lot Sale AND Safari Sam's show a little bit back! Not sure if we met as I have a memoryproblem....Love this painting! Cool style,great concept and colors! Welcome to SoCal by the way! Can't wait to see what you have coming up in the future :)

I wasn't even at the Safari Sam's show, I dropped my paintings off and had to drive back to San Diego that night. Wow, you rememeber my painting from that? Cool!

Thanks for the welcome to SoCal, I have found my true love here.....and it is Redondo Beach. We were meant for each other.

My next painting is a commisioned piece of the Steve Crane Bird Bowl, should be done by the end of September. Life keeps getting in the way of making more paintings...oh well, at least I am in a creative field!

Thanks for your comments, and perhaps I will run into you at Oasis.

Tikicutie

Pages: 1 12 replies