Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My small collection

Pages: 1 4 replies

I wanted to post some items that I've collected over the years. I don't like a lot of "stuff" because I'm in the military and travel a lot, so most of what I have has a story.

This is a canoe carving kit that my grandad bought back in the early 70's

It comes with a little tapa sail and everything. The wood is koa.

This is a honu we got at our wedding.

Some that I've picked up through my Air Force travels

Some hand-pressed patterns from Maui

Monkeypod candle holder from my grandmother

Pupu holder from my grandmother

Poi pounder from my grandmother

glass cut from my dad

hand painted vase from my tutu

Shell and shark tooth necklaces I made

I have a lot more, but this is a picture heavy post as it is.

K

That's a nice collection. Probably more meaningful to you since much of it's from your family.

I don't have all that much compared to some collections, but even at that, I have to do a lot of rearranging to make room for new stuff when I find it. Keeping it manageable for frequent moves makes a lot of sense.

Very nice collection, and I agree, having passed-down collectibles makes them even more special. I love that "Maui pressed item looks beautiful...what is it made of and any close-ups? :)

On 2007-08-20 05:57, VampiressRN wrote:
Very nice collection, and I agree, having passed-down collectibles makes them even more special. I love that "Maui pressed item looks beautiful...what is it made of and any close-ups? :)

Thanks! I want to work on the canoe, but I want to keep it "as-is" too. I'll have to ponder on it. Maybe I'll do it when I'm skilled enough not to bollocks it up.

I believe that is just some tapa created from paper-tree bark. I don't know about the inks, but they look hand mixed from natural dyes. I'll get some close-ups to you when I can.

Great collection. That outrigger looks very cool. I'd be tempted to put it together as well, but I understand your hesitation and wanting to keep it "as-is". You want to preserve and capture those moments when you look back. I also have items handed down to me by kupuna. They are indeed meaningful and priceless.

Very nice YakeeAirPirate.

Pages: 1 4 replies