Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lava Flow Inn San Diego, , CA (home-bar)

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

Name:The Lava Flow Inn San Diego
Type:home-bar
Street:
City:
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Decided to post some pix of the home bar. I know alot of you have seen it, but I've been adding.
Ryan pouring another drink

Old mask, some of the collection.

The prisoner

Tiki Lee next to the mascot tiki

Me BBQ'ng

The BBQ area. 1954 Cris craft boat for a roof.

Beach bum shipwreck falls

Me and my friend Will and another interior shot

Looking up from the lower yard

I hope you enjoyed looking at it as much as I enjoyed torturing my friends into helping me build it.
Cheers.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2007-08-23 19:03 ]

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2007-08-23 19:04 ]

ARRGGHHHH matey. It's about time. Give me a pint for the scurvy gits me.

H
Heath posted on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 9:08 PM

Jeez Matt, it didn't look like that the last time I was there. What happened? I know I didn't have THAT much to drink. Did I?

R

Awesome set-up. Really like the shell that holds the limes, and the old Chris Craft boat for a roof on the outside bar is a terrific touch.

Really enjoy seeing threads like this one because of all the creativity on display. Gives me hope that if I'm ever not renting someday that there will be a plethora of ideas to inspire one's own space.

One question - how much BBQ do you do?? There are 3 black barrel-style setups (not sure what the correct term is) plus looks like a silver grill in the background of the photo you're in.

Cheers - and thanks for sharing!
~Rupe

A

Damn! Your place looks cool. This can't be your old Lincoln Ave. house.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah we BBQ alot! There are two barrel types, a six foot water tank conversion, a six foot tall water smoker, a 4ft long island grill, three free standing burners for fish frys etc., an insert type propaine type, a grill we like to call the gnarly que which is about 3 1/2 feet across, and a yet to be finished luau pit.
Whew! I think I'll skip listing the ques and grills upstairs.
I may have a problem here.
Cheers.

Matt, I didn't see a spit.

This pic is a bit graphic. But it wont make me quit eatin meat.
Don't scoll down if you are squeemish and/or you want to continue eating meat.

Identity is being protected.

I have been meaning to build my own home bar. I am inspired!
I may have to take the next year off just to get started.

Hmmmmm.

The spits are hidden. Haven't used one in a while. Nothing as impressive as that pic though.

C

Wow what a tease you are! Look at my beeeutiful bar! Think of us for ITD next year!

Really it is awesome! Our whole family advertises via t-shirts-young and old! Greg raved about it from the Oki Oki...maybe someday!

Super sweet!

About time this dive got some positive press!!! LOL! SD's hippest home bar looks great as always Matt. What's with the shipwreck?!!! (Of course I don't recall you handing me a heaping plate of BBQ Greyhound either) When are you putting in the ski lift?

Can't afford a skilift. Hoping to build some kind of castaway raft on a track powered by a couple cable winches. Thanks for the kind words. The wreck and beach bum are pretty new. Got plans for a cannibal corner next!
Cheers.

Damn, now I'm really bummed that I missed Washers this year. The new additions look great.

I still think you should put in a funicular on that hillside. I don't mind being carried up and down the stairs (even if I did freak a little the first time), but this crowd's knees aren't going to last forever. :)

That is sweet Matt. Lots of hard work, thanks for sharing.

Glad people like it. I'd like to note that a major influence in my process was 'Onatiki. Their attention to detail is something I'm still reaching for. Doug, what's a funicular? I'll keep carrying you down those stairs as long as you keep coming over.

It's an elevator or rail car that travels along a steep hillside. The Angel's Flight in L.A. is one of the most well-known. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular

I was just kidding about you needing one. Still, I did find this on Google just now: http://www.hillhiker.com. Cool, if you had the bucks for it. :)

Funny, that's the company I called sometime ago. The man asked me how long my run was and I told him 30 feet. He said "Oh, it's a itty bitty one!" I asked how much it would cost. He said "For a tiny little one like that, lets see, 30 feet, it'll be $30,000."
Long silence.

"I'll call you if I decide to do it." CLICK

$1000 a foot, are you f'ng kidding me?
I think I told this story in the 'Oki 'Oki thread last year.
Anyways,I hope to do something to handle the hill problem. I just don't have the cash.
Cheers.

Your place looks better than some professional bars. AWESOME!!! Your pics are indeed inspiring. :)

Thank you.

V

Not only a fabulous bar, but a phenominal host too. I've had the pleasure of putting a few back at Matt's tiki bar. The monkey was my favorite.That and the drunk ramblings of many carvers.

Very nice thing to say. It was a pleasure having you over.
Fletcher the monkey misses you.

I think he misses Polynesiac too though.

Beautiful additions to your awesome backyard hidaway. More piratey/nautical stuff is always good!! Vontiki said it, Matt is a class act - a great host and a fantastic bar-b-q-er.

Fletcher the monkey misses you.

That thing MOVES!!! It totally freaked me out!!! (and yes, I was awestruck for some time...I still am)

Thanks for posting the pictures!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 28, 2007 7:29 PM

Is that one of those creepy animatronic chimp heads? I've seen one attached to a roomba before and it's kinda funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RooPTe5NITo

Very nice bar/house Matt. Has your mascot tiki got a history? He looks pretty ancient...

Yeah it is animated. That video is pretty funny.
Polynesiac- thanks, it was good having you over....there's been a little talk of an 'Oki 'Oki reunion gathering.
Paipo- the mascot tiki- I picked her up a long time ago from an old guy in San Diego. He told me it ws one of a pair from a bar in La Jolla from the early 60's. His sister took the other one to Hawaii with her in the 70's. The only other info I got was from Sven at Oasis V, he thought it was most probably an Oceanic Arts carving (he made the call based on a sketch not a photo). A friend of mine thought he had a menu with it on it but is having trouble finding it.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers.

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 9:37 AM

After going through all the pictures, I noticed you don't have any good shots of the lamps, hanging or otherwise.
You should post pictures of them.

All of them.

Even the one...

Just a quick pic.
Anyone who saw these at the last Oasis...well they ended up here. Obviously cut down to a managable size.

Here they are pre-Oasis.

Please ignore the dancer.
Cheers.

H
Heath posted on Thu, Nov 15, 2007 8:09 PM

That looks strangely familiar...

And the song, how did it go?

OH YEAH, I REMEMBER!

*Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
Im a womans man: no time to talk.
Music loud and women warm, Ive been kicked around
Since I was born.
And now its all right. its ok.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
The new york times effect on man.

Whether youre a brother or whether youre a mother,
Youre stayin alive, stayin alive.
Feel the city breakin and everybody shakin,
And were stayin alive, stayin alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin alive, stayin alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin alive.

Well now, I get low and I get high,
And if I cant get either, I really try.
Got the wings of heaven on my shoes.
Im a dancin man and I just cant lose.
You know its all right. its ok.
Ill live to see another day.
We can try to understand

Life goin nowhere. somebody help me.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Somebody help me, yeah. stayin alive.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
Im a womans man: no time to talk.
Music loud and women warm,
Ive been kicked around since I was born.
And now its all right. its ok.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand

Somebody help me, yeah.
Life goin nowhere. somebody help me, yeah.
Im stayin alive.*

Sorry, it needed to be said, er, sung.

Congrats on being featured in the spring 2008 tiki magazine!

Matt's the bomb!

Beautiful Bar!! You have done a fantastic job! Really quite perfect.

You are very inspiring. We may be taking our first steps to starting our tiki bar today. We just bought a MCM house that has an existing bar that need to be tiki-fied. I am tired of painting; so I may go to Bamboo Ben's today to get started on the bar instead.

Thank you for showing the pictures! They are super terrific!!!

Thanks guys for the kind words. Got really excited about the Tiki Magazine shoot. Jim, thanks. I only wish I'd been smiling in that pic.
Cheers.

H

The Lava Flow Inn is now here in the Home Tiki Bar forum. Thanks for the nudge Matt. The Lava Flow Inn is another stellar example of how to do it right.

Beautiful yard Matt, I took the liberty of posting your Shipwreck Falls in the Ponds thread.

1. I thought Angel's Flight was a tight pair of slacks I wore in the 70s, not a funicular.
  2. How is that 12 step program for the BBQ addiction working out?
  3. Did you ever build the Cannibal Corner?

:D

I'm afraid that the Barbecue addiction is stronger than ever. Anyone tries an intervention and I'll go postal! (Cooked 4 Boston Butts last weekend)
The Cannibal Corner is done. It has a space next to it we call "Meat Storage" or "The Monkey Pit". I've been meaning to get some new pictures up. I also added an area called "Makoako Outpost # 14". The summer has got me all geared up to do some serious add-ons and upgrades to the place.
Thanks for the pond thread link. Very nice of you.
Pictures soon... I swear.
Peace with every step.

I've suddenly realized how bad my affliction is going to get..building the bar was only the first symptom...how long till my entire backyard is one big tiki lounge!

A

On 2010-04-23 10:12, jcorrigan wrote:
I've suddenly realized how bad my affliction is going to get..building the bar was only the first symptom...how long till my entire backyard is one big tiki lounge!

Not soon enough!

It never ends.
A few pics until I get shots of the new stuff.
Exit to the Galley (Boucan)

The Captain

Old stuff behind the bar

Eric the Red "Mr. NoNaMe" having a cold one with me during a poker tournament.

Like I said new stuff coming soon.

L

Looking good.

I also enjoy any photo that showcases Eric the Red's beard !

Great Tiki village!
It's too vast to be just a bar, man I envy the amount of space you have! love the use of the skeletons and the Pirate theme!
Trader Bob

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-04-25 01:57 ]

T

Sweet setup Matt. Can you elaborate on your skeletons? Medical surplus? Halloween store scores?

Check out Bucky's Boneyard. They sell what are considered "4th class" skeletons. They aren't super cheap but sometimes you just gotta have 'em. Add a little brown shoe polish and paint and they get a good aged look.
Thanks.

Vestige photography came out and did some shots at the Lava Flow Inn.
Susan who "is" Vestige photography was here for a weekend. Super nice and easy to deal with.
Here are a couple shots.

These are of the amazing and oh so cool Micheline Pitt.

Had a great time being around such fun people. I have other shots I'll post later.
Cheers.

show us the bloopers!!!

Show us her WHAT???!!! :o

TT

just when I thought the LAVA FLOW-INN couldn't get any better.....
Can't wait to visit again unless i'm on the "NO ENTRY" list.....

T

C L U N K !
(sound of jaw hitting floor)

J

I think this just became my favorite Tiki Bar.

Iron Fist clothing had a shoot also. The girls were flown in from Vegas and were very nice. If only the Lava-Flow-Inn looked like this every day.

Window dressing... hiya sailor!

Danger Headhunters!

This seat taken?

Helloooo Captain Redgrave.

Eat your heart out Tiki Ray! (kidding of course)

Thanks for looking.

Matt's been holdin' out on us!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies