Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island Presents: Get The Mojo Workin'! September 19th

Pages: 1 18 replies

M

Aloha,

FI is proud to host Get The Mojo Workin'! Wednesday, September 19th, starting at 7:00PM!

Iuka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents and a lineup of special musical guests will be performing at FI in a one night only fund raiser for TC's own Dr. Tiki Mojo. Hopefully we'll go a little way toward replacing some of his camera goodies! Iuka Grogg will be passing the hat with 100% of the proceeds going to the good doctor.

Some come on out, hear some sweet tunes, and help get the mojo workin'!

Mahalo!!!

PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-08-30 11:51 ]

I'm sorry he lost all the photos, but doesn't his auto insurance cover the stolen equipment?

M

That's a good question- I'll let David reply since I don't know the extent of his policy.

But you know better than to post with a fake user name, Bella.

**HOLY MAI TAI BATMAN!!! TALK ABOUT TIKI OHANA!!! :o

YOU GUYS ROCK!!! :D

THANK YOU MARTIN AND EVERYONE AT FORBIDDEN ISLAND, IUKA GROGG & THE MAI KAI GENTS, (and OTHER BANDS?? :o ), AND WELL, ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO SHOWS UP!!!

CAN'T WAIT....WHAT FUN....FOLLOWED BY THE FORBIDDEN ISLAND PARKING LOT SALE!!

MAHALO PLENTY!**

On 2007-08-30 11:47, Barnacle Bella wrote:
I'm sorry he lost all the photos, but doesn't his auto insurance cover the stolen equipment?

On 2007-08-30 11:52, martiki wrote:
That's a good question- I'll let David reply since I don't know the extent of his policy.

So here's the scoop on that question: NO. Even though we all keep paying higher and higher prices for auto insurance what's covered keeps getting less and less! My brother-in-law, who's a professional musician, has a completely separate policy to cover all his equipment where ever he is! (Still not the auto insurance policy).
Nearly all I've done since my return from Tiki Oasis has been talking to insurance companies, talking to police in Ventura and Hollywood, where we thought we had a possible lead, posting about it here on TC, myspace, tiki news, friend and family emails and so on.

**The GOOD NEWS: It's looking as though our HOME OWNERS INSURANCE is going to partially cover the loss!
$9,880 worth of equipment filed in the claim! :D

The BAD NEWS: $500 DEDUCTIBLE, 33% Increase of our Home Owners Policy for the next 3 YEARS, :o they DEPRECIATE the value of all of the equipment from the time I've owned it......so from the get go I'm short about $2,000 from what I spent on the equipment, after adding to that the $220 for the broken car window, the rent a car for the day it was repaired, the policy increase for 3 years it comes to about another $1,500 or so. :(
Not to mention none of that can replace all of the work at Tiki Oasis and the lost photos...that's what still chaps my hide and what I still really want to get back! :cry:

This benefit is AMAZING!!!

Whatever comes from it MAHALO PLENTY TO ALL MY TIKI OHANA!!!

No matter how this turns out I can't wait to see everyone and raise a :drink: to you all for the love!
Dr.TikiMojo**

Gotta love those dayumed insurance companies...they suck us dry of our hard-earned cash and then if we claim an incident we pay through the nose some more. A HEX ON THEM!!!!

I'm going to try to make the FI event, but if I can't, I will be passing the hat around at my next party for the good Doctor!!!

Hang in there Dave.....we luv ya. :)

I did have the insurance discussion with Dr. Tiki Mojo before planning this event and am quite disappointed in the system. It is a valid and relevant question and certainly didn't need to be asked from behind a fake user name. So, let's put that behind us and get back to helping a very deserving young man.

The Doctor is one of the hardest working men in tikidom, giving generously of his time and talent at just about every event on the west coast. He meticulously planned a rigorous schedule for himself at Tiki Oasis 7, running from venue to venue, room to room photographing events and candids. I don't think the guy ever sleeps! He has been at every house party that I know of (and many I didn't!) providing his services as ace photographer, without much more than a mai tai as payment. He's been The Maikai Gents' official photographer, happily traveling great distances to catalog our performances and, as much as we'd like to shower him with $$ for the time he puts in, not only taking snaps, but also editing the photos, we're not a very rich band... but The Doctor never complains about what we can scrape together for him, nor does he ever stop smiling! He works to exhaustion 'cause he loves what he does. And what does is being a photographer. So... with all this in mind, it is without any reservation at all that I, the band, and Forbidden Island wish to support a man who has been such a great support to so many of us.

As a small added token of our appreciation, The Maikai Gents will match dollar for dollar all donations to the hat up to $150. The band is not receiving any payment for this gig, nor will we be keeping any money from the hat. Attendees are welcome to tip us with drinks or coconut shrimp(!), but all the dough will go to getting Dr. Tiki Mojo back behind the lens and preserving for fun and posterity our tiki lifestyles.

See you all at Forbidden Island on the 19th! Okole Maluna!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

And as a small token of OUR appreciation for all the love and support from the Mai Kai Gents, the ENTIRE Forbidden Island staff and everyone from TC....

we have around 60 GECKO PENDANTS which we will be GIVING AWAY to anyone who comes by and says ALOHA, (and ask if we have anymore pendants left? :wink: ).

Mahalo

Ken (moondog426) and are are planning on hooking up and partying with the fine doctor for this event. I am already salivating for a Monkeypod!!! Will probably come early around 5:30pm and then leave around 9pm (got that 2-3 hour drive to Sacramento afterwards). :)

well I am hoping to catch up with Vampiress at her work...via The Train, Bart, Pack mule, Rickshaw...whatever it takes......I mean afterall we gotta get that mojo workin' for the good doctor!!!!!

Will my head hurt Thursday morning?

[ Edited by: moondog426 2007-09-09 16:01 ]

Darn....my real life is cutting in and now I won't be able to make this event. Sorry David...but will see you at my party....ARGH!!!

Uke in hand ready to strum, workin' my thirst to swill some rum!

Looks like I'll be passenger for this ride! When are people planning to go by?

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!!

Already got my replacement Lowepro Slingshot 300AW camera bag from Dan at Lowepro on Monday night!

We talked story over a couple of pints! :drink:

Thanks Dan! :D

M

TONIGHT!

Come on down! Jessica is bored, and she wants to serve you!

Not in that way, you perverts!

We're on Arrrrrrrrrrr way!

Yarrrrr.

Just wanted to say MAHALO!! :drink: to everyone who showed up last night!!!

Not only was it tons of fun with the drinks flowing, the Mai Kai Gents playin' but some serious money was raised! :D

Covered the insurance deductible and some of the depreciation! :wink:

Thanks again to everyone at FORBIDDEN ISLAND, THE MAI KAI GENTS and EVERYONE WHO SHOWED THEIR SUPPORT!!!!

K

On 2007-09-20 13:48, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:
Just wanted to say MAHALO!! :drink: to everyone who showed up last night!!!

Not only was it tons of fun with the drinks flowing, the Mai Kai Gents playin' but some serious money was raised! :D

Covered the insurance deductible and some of the depreciation! :wink:

Thanks again to everyone at FORBIDDEN ISLAND, THE MAI KAI GENTS and EVERYONE WHO SHOWED THEIR SUPPORT!!!!

You're welcome. It was my first time there and I'm glad you were able to get some cash. That really bites about getting all that equiptment stolen. Glad I could help.

Kolohe-Paul

T

What no pics? OK, since it was a camera fundraiser I'll let it slide. :D

Pages: 1 18 replies