Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies

Mute or moot, I will keep on harping on it, as I see it as my mission to battle the childish urge for garish Tiki painting. If they don't want to have the Mai Kai gardens look like Mexican fiesta grounds, they better stick to the earthen tones of the original tribal art. Some enthusiasts seem to have succeeded more with that, others not so.

I feel a 2008 version of Lord of the Flys coming on.....

On 2008-01-01 20:57, RevBambooBen wrote:
I feel a 2008 version of Lord of the Flys coming on.....

or clash of the titans

T

On 2008-01-01 19:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
Mute or moot, I will keep on harping on it, as I see it as my mission to battle the childish urge for garish Tiki painting. If they don't want to have the Mai Kai gardens look like Mexican fiesta grounds, they better stick to the earthen tones of the original tribal art. Some enthusiasts seem to have succeeded more with that, others not so.

:{:{:{:{:{:{:> Those with paint brushes in hand have angered thy 'Tiki God' please step away from the paint bucket and put your brush in the upright position....
Officer take them away !!!

Obviously, these casts NEED to be painted, so it is not a question of IF, but HOW. Quoting Terrence Barrow again: "Harsh colors will detract from the sculptural qualities of a piece.."

(I just found this on Buzzy's last "Tiki Finds" post, and am adding it to give a little more weight to the quote above) :)

Yes, as opposed to Polynesian art, original Papua New Guinea carvings did use paint quite a bit, so it is not wrong to do so in that case. And it might seem ridiculous to cry "wrong!" about a pop culture that is based on fakery. But in classic midcentury Tiki style, carvers had the science of making a painted piece look ancient down to a T. Bright, glossy, monochrome painting destroys any sense of mystery the object might exude...we all WANT to believe in the dream of the lost paradise of the South Seas, helping that is the premise.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-02 16:09 ]

The above is meant as a general warning and reminder, and not as a personal critique of individuals and their efforts. All I try to do here on TC is continue my work in sharing my experience as a visual archaeologist, and do so by (hopefully benevolently) nudging and prodding people to SEE, and appreciate good classic and modern Tiki style, and THINK and hopefully ACT to preserve it, instead of just CONSUME. I want to be perceived as big brother Tiki, not as a Tiki god.

I am happy to say that my worries about the Mai Kai Tiki population have been put at ease by a recent p.m. It does appear that there are some sensitive souls in the group of volunteers that care for Tiki and are doing good work on the new generation of statues being churned out now, they even put considerable effort into aging the already cemented-in first generation, which apparently was not easy. I just want to say I am very grateful, and please realize that I am just an art critic in my ivory tower, not in the mosquito infested swamps of the Mai Kai jungle. :D

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 6:54 PM

I do not think the browns are right. Any old piece of work will be gray. Any wood once its out in the elements is gray. Just look around the Mai Kai gardens! That looks right for something indoors, but not in the gardens.

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-01-03 08:47 ]

H

Here's a trick for you--get a graining tool from your local DIY super store--or better yet, your local art supply shop. Use a lighter color as a base (yellowish) and then apply a natural wood color brown glaze and then pull your graining tool through it--get a book on it, there are many.

Otherwise--looks great and I know you guys are having a blast!! Wish I was there!!

Here's an example--I've done this a few times before but these examples are not mine:

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 7:31 AM

Okay, I want to make sure I don't sound like a blowhard ass here. I am all for the work you guys are doing. It does look great. I like the natural paint colors.

Echoing Tim's opening sentiment :) , I still would like to ad that GLOSSY paint poses a problem. If you look at those "Trader Vic's Emeryville carvings?" in "Collecting Tiki", not only are they painted wrong, but the glossy shine makes them look cheap:

...even a "glaze" like this might be too much...

Now I have no idea what concrete casts need as paint to begin with, that must be a challenge in its own right. I assume they need to be sealed somehow, but can a matte coat be applied to that then afterwards?

I realize that, essentially, these casts simply are NOT wood, and will behave in their own way....

Hey, I think they all should be turned into ANCIENT STONE SCULPTURES instead! :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-03 08:32 ]

To all those who have researched, carved, cast, painted, taken pix, and otherwise lent elbow grease, a most heartfelt thank you is in order.

I just want to say, you are the people who embody the adage, "support your local tiki bar." The work you are doing is invaluable, and I am confident in saying, without having spoken to them, that the owners and mgmt of the Mai Kai are most appreciative of your efforts. Even the debate here, regardless of the tone or perspective, has contributed to the consensus of a group of people and provided information, opinion, and encouragement, all of which is helpful too.

In light of this, to tie into the mug situation, there is a lot of work that goes into maintaining such a large establishment which falls outside the normal available resources. Tikis and tiki mugs are not exactly common items on a large market. There is a lot of personal initiative required to make up for short resources, and the fact that it is coming from a supportive community is a rare and beautiful thing.

This is the difference between the independent model and the large corporate model. I think you people know where I am going next. Unencumbered by a corporate central office that answers to shareholders and executives, the local Tiki Bar model is better able to improvise, to respond to changes in availability or lack of resources, and the more personal touch seems to be more conducive to the more loyal following. Support your LOCAL tiki bar!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 9:15 AM

Just remember - you each owe Will a drink - he likes Rum Barrels - whenever you get back to the Mai Kai.
Hukilau should be a breeze for you, Will.

Heck, I think the painters deserve one from each of us, too!

W

Gosh Guys,
Well,
Thanks.

Will

M
mieko posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2008 7:47 PM

Wow Will! I just found this thread and it looks like you've been busy!

It was so great hearing your stories during the Hukilau, and as pablus says, your love for the Mai Kai really shines though with all the hard work you've been doing.

I also have to say how impressed I am with your new painting help! I was excited about Hukilau before this thread, but now I just can't wait to get there! I have a feeling the gardens at the Mai Kai are going to feel completely different now.

I'd love to help paint if my schedule works out - that painting party looked incredible. I'm dying to see those molds too - that one guy with the little tangs on his chest looks great - was he a mold??

Mieko

On 2008-01-09 19:47, mieko wrote:
... I have a feeling the gardens at the Mai Kai
are going to feel completely different now.

hopefully NOT !

K

On 2007-08-31 22:14, pablus wrote:
More news.

The Mai Kai has been sold.

To Dave Levy. He is the natural progression of this place and has good plans for it.

I recently heard the Mai Kai is for sale again. Anyone have any info?

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies