Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies

Sorry, but that "wisdom of the general public" argument does not stick with me. To use their ignorance as a parameter would mean the end of Western culture, reality TV everywhere, and the film "Idiocracy" becoming a reality.

I am not saying that from a high horse, using the term "ignorance" as a negative, but as in "not knowing better". The lowest common denominator is used as a standard too often nowadays, and the "but the people like it" excuse is the favorite front of purely money-oriented developers everywhere, and that is EXACTLY what the appreciation of Tiki culture rises up against.

If we go by the fact that the people don't know better, we might as well put our hands in our laps and watch the hole thing go down the hill.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-03 08:02 ]

V
virani posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 8:42 AM

Great (but scary) thread. Thanks Pablus for having to drink all that amount of booze to make us learn things about the Mai Kai.

On 2007-09-03 08:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry, but that "wisdom of the general public" argument does not stick with me. ...

Yes, I agree. To aim for Lowest Common Denominator in any venture is like chasing yourself into failure. The public is fickle and will go to the next thing in a heartbeat.

And, No, I think you are completely wrong.

Would you rather see the Mai-Kai go completely authentic and close down because the modern customers would be affraid to go in thinking it was some sort of pagan palace (I have overheard that coment before so I am not exagerating).

Or, would you rather see lots of authenticity mixed in with lots of reasonably well painted tikis (no day-glo...).

And, no one in the area who is not already a member of this community is going there because they have tikis, painted or not. They are going to the Mai Kai because they provide excellent service, have amazing food and even more amazing drinks.

I know when I am there and I see someone stop and admire one of the many genuine artifacts, I offer a bit of story to go with it and see if they are 'interested' in more and then I direct them to the next little bit of authenticity and let them discover the next, and so on.

When I see someone taking thier picture in front of one of the less then genuine artifacts, I smile and offer to take thier picture for them. They have a great evening and will be back someday.

Both methods promote the Mai Kai and keep people coming back in. And, I occasionally get someone interested in finding out more, making for another tikiphile who will apppreciate how many genuine artifacts are already in the Mai-Kai hiding in and around the painted tikis that everyone seems to be so upset about.

And, we keep hijacking Pablus' thread here.....

Pablus, how was it last night? And, were you able to change your flight to make it one more time tonight?

L
Loki posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 9:22 AM

On 2007-09-03 08:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry, but that "wisdom of the general public" argument does not stick with me. To use their ignorance as a parameter would mean the end of Western culture, reality TV everywhere, and the film "Idiocracy" becoming a reality.

I am not saying that from a high horse, using the term "ignorance" as a negative, but as in "not knowing better". The lowest common denominator is used as a standard too often nowadays, and the "but the people like it" excuse is the favorite front of purely money-oriented developers everywhere, and that is EXACTLY what the appreciation of Tiki culture rises up against.

If we go by the fact that the people don't know better, we might as well put our hands in our laps and watch the hole thing go down the hill.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-03 08:02 ]

Sven, its the general public that keeps places like the Mai Kai in business, not a carving of a painted tiki or honest to goodness genuine tikis...The Mai Kai has been in business for 50 years...that is an accomplishment by any standards...again, they are not in the business of preserving tiki, they serve food, and showcase dancing and exotic plants and ambiance and great adult tiki drinks. God bless them for that.:)

You are in the business of preserving tiki....WE are in the business of preserving tiki and spreading the correct wisdom. Hopefully the “ignorant” visitor will be inspired to learn more and get The Book of Tiki or Oceanic Arts or find places like TC to explore and learn. We don’t have a right to tell the Mai Kai how to their job. I don’t see Kern on this site begging the TC ohana for business ideas. In fact I have witnessed many TC’ers getting their pictures taken with the Barney West Tiki, full smiles and drinks raised to the tiki gods….

You are correct about the ignorance of people. This is not a social study; it’s a discussion about a painted tiki. Again, if the tiki was painted some 50 years ago, and it’s all the public (us included) has know it to be, than the paint wasn’t so bad. Trust me, I don’t want to see any tiki looking like a hooker in the Red Light District either.

This is like the argument of the Sistine Chapel when it was recently restored. For 500 years the colors were dark and ominous, then we start to clean it and find out Michelangelo used bold, bright colors....we suddenly cant take that fact, because we've only seen it dark and musty looking.

I have seen the new concrete tikis and at first I didn’t like them, but Will has done a great job preserving these things and I know in just a short time the hot Florida sun and humid weather will patina them and make them look great. I know Will personally and I believe he will do fine with them and he will adjust the colors to better represent original art.

By the way Pablus, its always great to see you and share a drink with ya and thanks for snooping around with questions about our beloved palace of tiki.

[ Edited by: Loki 2007-09-03 09:23 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-09-03 09:37 ]

Sven:

Am I correctly hearing you state that their is a "correct version" of Poly Pop that should be respected when in fact Poly Pop was a fantasy corruption created by people who didn't really know better to begin with. Example, how the hell does a Japanese fish globe fit in with tiki culture?

But more to the point, stating that their is a "correct" version of Poly Pop is to suggest that Poly Pop is like Latin, a dead language with a beginning and an end. The thing is, if Poly Pop is a living culture, then it will continue to grow and and change as each succeeding generation experiences it and redefines it in its own image. If we were to travel 500 years back in time, the Sistine Chapel would look way different than it does today. More to the point, their could be no Tiki Modern to sell after the Book of Tiki. And if you wait ten years from now, you will be writing a book called Tiki Revival and thus secure yourself for your latter years as well as document "authentic" cultural phenomenon. I once read that you didn't care for "cartoon" tiki, yet 20-30 years from now, that style of art will be seen as genuine and respectful.

My own "tiki trek" began in 1986 at the "China Royal" restaurant on Lindbergh Blvd. in St. Louis, Missouri. It was about as untiki as you could get, and yet, the genuine essence of tiki was there and it caught my imagination. Some 21 years later, I've come to appreciate that essence in all of its manifestations.

At heart, I am a classical tikiphile. I went to New Zealand and Tahiti when neither was cool. But not for the reasons that brought the sailors in WW11, but more for the reasons that brought Gaugaun.

I long love to see our Tiki Palaces preserved, but whether they are or not, in the end, colored tikis are just that, colored tikis. Even the island trend of Margaritaville or Tex-Mex is as authentic as Poly Pop. It might be argued that they are relatives of each other. Ultimately, something even more fascinating might or will take its place.

Poly Pop was born a commercial enterprise. It lasted for a long time because others were willing to pay for it. If people are still willing to pay for it, it will continue. Long may it last!

W

On that note,
I have some pics to share.
Yesterday I went to the Mai- Kai & took the tiki in question outside to take a pic. They have 2 good ones left

The one on the left is the original wood master the mold was made from. On the right an original hydro-cal one they made & painted

Hard to tell what color they are

is this better?

I

The new ones have what I refer to as 'chia-pet' brown, with that evenly distributed 'right-out-of-the-box' tone. I look at them, and feel like they should be dirtified somehow, to get more of that aged look.

Hopefully this will happen as the figures age. I'm hoping that dirt will collect on the surface, and perhaps tropical moss, fungi, or whatever grows in Florida will be allowed to grow on its surface. Is this what will eventually happen with those surfaces? Hopefuly it won't take too much longer than it does for wooden surfaces. It is the patina that collects on the surface that will help eventually give the new tikis their true souls.

G

On 2007-09-03 09:22, Loki wrote:
We don’t have a right to tell the Mai Kai how to their job. I don’t see Kern on this site begging the TC ohana for business ideas.

Chris, man, maybe you read something into these posts that I didn't, but I didn't hear anyone suggesting that we tell the Mai-Kai how to do their job. Or that they should somehow consult us before they do anything. They run a business. It is theirs. And we are patrons of said business and, other than Hukilau, we represent a tiny fraction of their revenue stream. (Although Pablus has obviously been skewing that statistic lately.) All that I hear Sven suggesting, and I am in agreement with him, is that we encourage those who are doing creative work for the Mai-Kai to do some research before doing that work. I'm not suggesting Will hasn't done some research. Obviously, he has. I think Sven is just suggesting that he, and anyone else who does creative work for them, to maybe dig a little deeper in that research. If you're painting a tiki, fine. Paint a tiki. But ask yourself "why am I painting this tiki?" or "what colors might Leroy Schmaltz or Barney West have originally used?". To answer those questions, you have to look into both the history of original Polynesian art and mid-century Poly pop art.

I've heard some here argue that it doesn't really matter. The general public doesn't know or appreciate the difference. I've also heard the argument that the original tiki is blue, so I'm going to paint this one blue too. But if we dig a little deeper, we may find that the original wasn't blue at all and that it was painted blue 20 years after it was installed. Some still might say "So what?". And since the Mai-Kai is a business and not a museum, as was correctly pointed out, that is a valid response. The Mai-Kai could decide to paint all the tikis pink if they wanted to and they would have that right because they own them. We have no right to tell them what to do. I just feel that as a person who wants to see the Mai-Kai as a whole and the individual works of art preserved as they were originally conceived, I feel an obligation to at least make an attempt to persuade them in that direction. That's an obligation I put on myself. No one else has to feel that obligation if they don't want to.

Since I don't consider myself an expert in this, I wouldn't tell the Mai-Kai that this or that should be this or that color. I would look to those who have spent years studying such things. Sven is one of those people. And I also heard him say that he would be happy to volunteer his time to providing materials to back up any creative decisions that must be made, such as painting tikis.

I've learned a few things from this thread:

1. I'm glad that we all have a place such as the Mai-Kai that we can all be passionate about. It draws us together even if we don't agree on details.
  2. I'm glad that there are people like Will who are willing to put their time and money where their mouth is, even if we all don't agree on this or that detail.
  3. I'm saddened, but not surprised, that Mirielle Thornton has moved away from active involvement in the running of the Mai-Kai and I'm concerned that certain quality aspects might slip, but hopeful that that won't happen.
  4. I will continue to visit the Mai-Kai regularly even if the garden tikis are glow-in-the-dark orange. (But I'll have a bigger smile on my face if they're not.)
  5. I will never support historic status for the Mai-Kai. I've said that before and I'll stick to that. This is a business, not Abe Lincoln's log cabin. The same family has kept the doors open for over 50 years and I won't support anything that hampers them and their ability to maintain their business in a way that they see fit.
  6. Tiki Kiliki posted something that she obviously regreted about 10 minutes later. Speak up girl! You are an authority on all things Mai-Kai! :)

Peace.

GatorRob,

I didn't regret my posting....I'm just following what the family has asked of me - once their press release is prepared they would like for me to share it with the Tiki community. They really wanted to wait until THEY were ready to talk of all the changes being made.

But I will say one thing with an official voice...The Mai Kai is going nowhere.

And Will, I'll say this about the new tikis in the garden. While I'm not a fan of the "painted" tiki, I am a fan of new life happening at the Mai Kai...obviously, it fits the theme of late.

You're a fine carver and a great addition to the Florida ohana - and a refreshing one. I'm sorry that I haven't made it over to your pad lately..there's been alot going on in my camp, some good, some bad.

Keep carving and pouring me friend - we like what we see!

Will, that left version looks much better, in my opinion. It's a little scarier because it looks more like a dried Maori ancestor head. If you want to compare, look at that rack of heads on page 178 of the BOT: The exposed row of teeth in those heads is what was portrayed in these ancestor carvings.
The eyes are a little more difficult, because they are so big and bulging, which makes the all-white too overbearing. I would run a thick line of black around their edge, even if it is not suggested by the sculpturing, to make the eyes more focused.
And then the aging, that would probably ask for too much additional work. Maybe just rubbing some dirt or dust over it would already help.

I know that it seems like a continuous contradiction that I ask for authenticity in something that is basically in-authentic. I can only point to the fact that a lot of people liked what they saw in the Book of Tiki,and that it inspired a lot of things. I carefully chose what I thought represented Polynesian Pop well, and it sure wasn't overpainted Tikis that looked like bikers in drag. No museum aspirations here, just basic common design sense.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 12:34 PM

On 2007-09-03 11:35, GatorRob wrote:

On 2007-09-03 09:22, Loki wrote:
We don’t have a right to tell the Mai Kai how to their job. I don’t see Kern on this site begging the TC ohana for business ideas.

Chris, man, maybe you read something into these posts that I didn't, but I didn't hear anyone suggesting that we tell the Mai-Kai how to do their job. Or that they should somehow consult us before they do anything. They run a business. It is theirs. And we are patrons of said business and, other than Hukilau, we represent a tiny fraction of their revenue stream. (Although Pablus has obviously been skewing that statistic lately.) All that I hear Sven suggesting, and I am in agreement with him, is that we encourage those who are doing creative work for the Mai-Kai to do some research before doing that work.

Hey Rob, I appreciate hearing from you, as I believe I have perhaps been misinterpreted and would like to clearify. Were I agree it is an intrinsic and personal responsiblity to encourage some fellow tiki-artisens to present their "replications" in a traditional fashion in keeping with the spirit of the presentation. However, generally I am not of the nature to offer unsolicited, allbeit, constructive criticism.
My original intention for posting was merely to offer the awareness of the "cultural landscape" that has developed over the years at the MaiKia....In fact it has created it own cultural twist to what we call, to tribute Sven, "Poly Pop". I personally am resistant to trample on what I refer to, as the "Culture of the MaiKai" ,that has been created over the years.

My retort was truely to address Sven's remark of "the wisdom of the general public". I regret straying from the topic at hand and hope I have set the record staight on the matter as I am in agreement with the opinions you have so accutely summarized. So when are you coming back down so discuss this "properly";-) over a MaiTai, or two....or three ??

On 2007-09-03 12:34, Loki wrote:
... So when are you coming back down so discuss this "properly"...

Yes! As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the pictures make these things look horrible! If we are to discuss these tiki's and how they fit in to the greater world of Tiki, we really should do it in thier yard.

I would love nothing more than to cary on this conversation with anyone who is interested while sitting on the back porch of the Mai Kai with a tall frosty rum drink in hand......

What time shall we expect you?

I

On 2007-09-03 06:24, pappythesailor wrote:
... Can't support the Mai Kai because you can't GET to the Mai Kai? Call and order some t-shirts, mugs, mousepads, pens and a Mystery Bowl.

i tried - but they don´t answer emails !!!

G

On 2007-09-03 15:46, icebaer69 wrote:

On 2007-09-03 06:24, pappythesailor wrote:
... Can't support the Mai Kai because you can't GET to the Mai Kai? Call and order some t-shirts, mugs, mousepads, pens and a Mystery Bowl.

i tried - but they don´t answer emails !!!

So call them on the phone! :) Or email Pia at [email protected]. She always replies promptly and while she doesn't deal with merchandise sales, she can probably get an answer to you. But now that I think of it, they shut down their online store some time ago and I don't know if they do mail order anymore. Pia can tell you.

G

On 2007-09-03 12:34, Loki wrote:
So when are you coming back down so discuss this "properly";-) over a MaiTai, or two....or three ??

Oh man, I'd be there tomorrow if I could. I can't think of much I'd rather do than sit around drinking Zombies and Jet Pilots while talking about the Mai-Kai with you guys. But keep in mind my conversation skills are inversely related to the number of Jet Pilots consumed.

Actually, working up the details on an October visit now. Will PM you all.

P
pablus posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 6:21 PM

In October, this Mai Kai of yours is going to undergo a serious crazing.
Things will crack. Tikis will dance. Colors will fade.

Haole Kats! Crazed Mugs! DVD being shot! Live music being recorded!
It's gonna get crazy.
That's the plan anyway.

Maybe we'll have a tiki painting party at Will's place.
I want to paint them with a shrunken head dipped in blood.

Oh.

Yeah.

On 2007-09-03 18:21, pablus wrote:
In October, this Mai Kai of yours is going to undergo a serious crazing.

It's gonna get crazy.
That's the plan anyway.

Maybe we'll have a tiki painting party at Will's place.
I want to paint them with a shrunken head dipped in blood.

Oh.

Yeah.

Pabby!

I'll donate a pint!!

Anything for the MAI KAI!!!

S
Surfer posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 7:05 AM

Ok, this is getting near and dear to my heart, lets clear up a bit of mis-information. first of all the comment about the area that the Mai Kai is in as being "Low rent". I live about a block from it, and my house appraises at about $650,000, thats a low average for the area. Yes there is a strip club close, but a very upscale club, that has a grandfathered land deal. Chip and Andy your comment about Historical commissioners is a bit rude, and totally off the mark. First off, all of the historical commissioners are appointed, they do what they do as a service not a job. The commission is made up of several local Mayors, representatives from the Seminole tribe (can you say owners of the Hard Rock chain) and my wife who has a PHD in medical ethnography, and adds great input to my tiki indulgence. To become a historical site, the Mai Kai would have to apply for the status, the commission just can't come in and take over. Cheers

"The only way to 'Save' places like the Mai Kai is to GO to places like the Mai Kai." Well said, Andy! My only regret is that I live so far away that I can't be there every other night.

"In October, this Mai Kai of yours is going to undergo a serious crazing.

It's gonna get crazy.
That's the plan anyway."

Knock 'em dead, Pablus, Mugz, and Cats! Can't wait to see the fruits of that labor, with the "new" tikis! And just thinking about that Rum Barrel song...

P

Well here's what was actually written:
"It's almost a good thing that the surrounding area is kind-of "lower scale" adult clubs and cheap motels, etc. "

I personally drove by more than one "gentleman's" club - and no matter how wonderful they may be... inside there are naked ladies and this generally goes on in the lower scale places in whatever city allows that sort of thing. Las Olas is not going to have one. Oakland Park has them within a short distance of the Mai Kai. I had to pretend I wasn't checking them out while my wife was in the car.

And the hotels I've stayed anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the place, including the Best Western and another one further south on Fed. Hwy. are in very questionable locales and in ratty shape and cost me next to nothing for a night.

I'm not trying to bust on your 'hood. I'm looking at it as a plus for the Mai Kai. In Ft. Lauderdale, Oakland Park is a 'once-was' and maybe a 'gonna-be' but it's not peaking right now for sure. That allows for some leverage for the ownership of the Mai Kai, IMO.

As far as the historical designation - anybody ever hear of this place:

El Jobean
Charming El Jobean has its own old-Florida flair. A former winter home for circus and carnival performers, it features a historic post office museum and cafe that hosts weekly Bluegrass jam sessions.

I've been to those bluegrass jams. The place is owned and operated by individuals. It's a registered historic landmark - I think nationally. I don't know what their restrictions are but there certainly don't appear to be any. If you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Anyway, certainly this place in the middle of nowhere isn't much of an indicator, but perhaps the guidelines are state or national and not regulated by whatever local governing body would interfere with the Mai Kai's thing.
I believe the bristling attitude is in the very clear fact that the code restrictions can get seriously uptight when left unchecked. I'd personally hate to see someone come in and start snapping fingers and telling them to get rid of the thatch just because they can.

Anyway. Surfer, next time I'm down there please stop on in and let me buy you a drink or three. It's always good to know someone within staggering distance of the Mai Kai, even if they live in a little 650,000 dollar hovel. :wink:

G

On 2007-09-04 11:10, pablus wrote:
And the hotels I've stayed anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the place, including the Best Western and another one further south on Fed. Hwy. are in very questionable locales and in ratty shape and cost me next to nothing for a night.

Who was president the last time you stayed at the Oakland Park Best Western? :wink: We've stayed there, let's see... times two, carry the one... about 5 times in the last couple of years. Rooms have been completely renovated. All shiny new. Pool is always clean. Hedges always trimmed. And the pool area still has a mild mid-century feel to it. Never felt unsafe with my kids there or had my car broken into or anything like that (knock on monkeypod). Rates vary from around 100 bucks out of season to much more in season.

I'll 2nd that GatorRob - the area isn't "ratty" and has some of the best mid-century homes in Fort Lauderdale. I honestly can't think of any poorly looking hotels in that area - one was leveled recently - maybe you're talking about that one.

Anyway, to get back to the original concern for this posting - glad the Mai Kai is still around - and it will be for quite some time.

I'd be down to help paint some tikis.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 1:00 PM

I perceive I'm unintentionally pressing some buttons here but I'll just make this my last post on this thread before I start having to soak my mail.

Glad to hear the Best Western is in stable hands. Last time I was there in 2003 with Palm Farmer Johnny, we found a hypodermic needle next to our door and about 3 wet porno magazines in the parking space next to mine.

(And that's just what I brought with me - bahdamboom.)

No for real. I got a witness.
Hence, I brave the 7-11 trail of Fed. Hwy. North and stay at the Riverside Hotel.

It's Mid-Century too.

BTW, my wife's family has lived in Ft. Lauderdale, mostly Oakland Park, for nearly 50 years.
Her mother worked at the Mai Kai for a short time. I'm not trying to paint the area as anything other than what it is. Much like the Cabana and many other South Florida Icons of yesteryear, certain places need some TLC in an immediate fashion. Oakland Park is one of them, IMO.

That means "In My Opinion" and that's what it is, just like the premise that it's hunky dory and a prime area is an opinion.

S
Surfer posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 5:29 AM

Pablus, "gotta defend the hood", and I see / live first hand how much work the Historical commission does to preserve what little is left of old Fort Lauderdale. At last nights commission meeting a new member was introduced, representing Oakland Park. If you happen to be around on Friday 9/7, my band will be playing in the Molokai from 6 to 9. Say hi, the barrels on me.

TT

My business area now includes Fort Lauderdale. I am happier than a pig in slop. I can be at the Mai Kai almost every month. Funny how one of my visits will also be timed with next Hukilau. Purely coincidental I assure you.

Wow...that is one tall guy there...thanks for the pic, I always love how tikis try to hide in the fauna...even that guy is trying. He looks kinda shy, but not afraid to side by a towering palm. :)

Pablus, sorry you missed "Take 5" this year. I truly enjoyed your rum soaked interviews and hope to join you for the October event. Thanks for causing the rousing debates. Do you have a specific date set? I look forward to being on the front row...I'll hold your drink while you play.

Welcome to TC JJ&J....great first post!!! :D

B

Greetings Jungle Jim, long time!

TB

If you coat wood tikis in fiberglass resin, then put them in an autoclave (high pressure heated chamber) then top coat them once a year with polyurethane, they will last forever even in Florida weather. It would be cheaper than casting or recarving. Even slightly rotted tikis could be preserved this way.

Tiki Bill.

Thanks for the greeting Vampiress and BenZ! As you can see from the date of my TC membership and the number of postings since I've been remiss in that department (job related time thing!) Hopefully I'll be more active now. BenZ: I still haven't finished my carving from Coontiki yet...he's looking more like a kindly old jewish guy..I gotta send you a pic, you'll bust a gut...Jennifer named him Moari Fishkind. Maybe I should add some color?! :wink: Thank goodness I have your original carving. It's in a place of honor in our tiki hut. (where's my pic Swanky??)
Giving Jennifer her due here's a pic that goes with my previous posting from the 03 Hukilau..haven't missed one since.

Another fabulous picture....hope you aren't getting carpal tunnel there. :lol:

I am soooo in love with that Moai....wouldn't he make a cute mug!!!!

I had an interesting conversation with wplugger about one of the molds from the Mai Kai. He picked up a mold and inside the mold was newspaper (being used as as shim or cushion). He didn't think much about it till he was done removing the paper from the mold. It essentially disintegrated as he was removing it and just tossed it to the side. After a minute or two he went back to the paper to see if it was dated. It was!! The paper was dated some time in 1956 - the same year that the Mai Kai opened!!! The big question we had was - did the original purchase of the tikis come with a mold? Was this common practice for such a large order (there are around 75+/- molds in storage)? Can anyone answer this or do a little urban archeology on this subject. Orignally Will and I thought the molds were made in the 70's - however the presence of this newspaper has changed everything.

Will - chime in on this.

8T

On 2007-09-11 13:22, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:

Well I'll be. It's good ol' Jungle Jim. How've you been? Good to see the photos you posted and to hear you are havin' a good tiki time down there in FL. Get busy and finish your Coon tiki Benzart assignment !!!!! Have you ever looked at the thread containing all of the pictures from the carving seminar? Good stuff. Say hi to Tony for me OK? Your friend, 8FT Tiki

Some of the local ohana gathered at Will's place to 'decorate' some of the new Tikis for the Mai-Kai. Of course we all were excited by the invitation because who among us does not want to walk through the gardens and point at one of the Tikis and say "I painted that one!"

And the rest of the Flickr Set

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9033145@N03/S3SxMp

G

Nice job gang! You're giving a lot of those a good bit of texture and depth with the way you're applying the paint and they look really good. I had no idea there were this many different carvings once on the Mai-Kai grounds. Amazing.

TG

Wow! That looks like it was a real blast.

P

Great work.
They look really good.
I'm sure Will is grateful for the help.

Can't wait to see them in place, with a drink in my hand, and lots of time to stroll, and a drink in my other hand.

On 2007-11-01 10:48, pablus wrote:
....Can't wait to see them in place, with a drink in my hand, and lots of time to stroll, and a drink in my other hand.

Pablus, you will be pleased to know that we are converting the spare bathroom into a genetic lab (long story, I'll share sometime over Mai-Tais...) and the first major project is a retractable third arm so you can carry a drink in one hand, carry a drink in the other hand, and still have one hand free to hold a drink.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

The first experiment on a monkey worked really well. At least until the little bugger figured out he could climb the cage and fling poo at the same time....

Will sent us all home that weekend with homework.....

Andy spent the morning working on another one of the tikis....

W

I got to tell you these guys showed up like troopers.
They brought paint,brushes,beer wine & fruit. I love guests who have to knock with their elbows because their hands are full.
To top it off, they know how to paint.
I am glad to get the help. I've admitted I'm no painter, but if this restaurant gig doesn't work out for Kern he may have a future as a painter. check out this.

There are plenty more coming so we can use more painters.
Will

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 5:54 PM

Took this picture in Kern's office last Hukilau. Been meaning to post it in my blog, but this is a good place.

That's a great shot of Kern! He certainly looks happy and relaxed, so it must be at the end of the day.

And congrats and mahaloz to the painting team! Can't wait to see your work for myself!

L
Loki posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 8:56 AM

Thanks to Will who also gave us some painting homework...a real sweet casted tiki. A little chiseling and fileing then Stump Grinder went to work on painting him all up. Cant wait to see him in the Gardens with his brothers where he belongs. We will deliver him to Kern this weekend.

Thanks again to Will for letting us in on this great restoration project.

[ Edited by: Loki 2007-11-26 08:57 ]

The conflict in this thread about the color scheme is now totally moot.
Some folks took it upon themselves to mute/age Will's tikis.

See for yourself HERE.

Will has expressed that the only tikis he'll be painting from this point forward are the ones he keeps for his own display.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-01-01 19:55 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 111 replies