Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Would an old motel turned Tiki work?

Pages: 1 17 replies

O

There’s a plain 1960s motel, previously called Tagus Ranch (now Togas Inn), here in California along highway 99 that’s all alone, off from any of the nearest major turn offs. It used to be a hopping place back when I was a kid and we used to stop there for the night when we’d go up to Lodi to visit grandma and grandpa. It’s a large two story, U shaped complex with a swimming pool in the center of the courtyard and a large lawn area, with a few mature palms, all around it. It’s seen better days and now it’s mostly a trucker motel.

Every time I go past the place I think to myself that it’d make a great Tiki motel. Its basic design is appropriate and all it needs is new mansards that look Polynesian, some sort of fountain, and a few Tikis scattered around the grounds. It wouldn’t be a great example of Polypop, but it’d be enough to make me interested in staying there. I’ve always thought that the novelty would be a draw and could help their business. There is nothing roadside from Los Angels to Sacramento that’s remotely Tiki and the fact that it’s in the middle of nowhere seems even more enticing to me. Like rooting for an underdog.

Anybody ever had the same thoughts? We all decry the slow destruction of what was, but why not take something from that era and make it into what it could have been? The appeal of an old style motel going Tiki is so much more appealing to me than building a new hotel. Anything built new nowadays, if it got built, would probably be more ‘Jimmy Buffet’ than true Tiki anyways.

Grand Courtyard
http://www.togasinn.com/Yard.htm

Aerial of it’s remoteness
http://www.togasinn.com/Directions.htm

back in the day...the tagus ranch was a highsteppin country music hall and restaurant,,,about 25 years ago...i believe the old music hall still stands but is boarded up....country to tiki....hmmmmmm......great classic motel though....

O

Yeah, the restaurant/bar sleezed out as 'Fat Nat's' Country Theater. There was a murder there around 1994 and, because Fat Nat didn't have insurance, the place closed and Nat went on the lam. It's not owned by the same people who own the motel, who wish the boarded up hulk would go away. My guess is that a fire is going to clear the lot someday.

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2007-09-07 16:09 ]

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2007-09-07 16:10 ]

T

Well, There are a few places that are old Mid Century motels that are redvamping themselves as "chic" Mid Century Modern places. They get all the cool new MCM re-issue furniture ...Herman Miller etc...and they are doing well.

I think if you did this place TIKI it would be cool, and would fast become a landmark to the people on THIS site at least.

The great thing about TIKI is it appeals to kids. If you put in some cool Lava Rock Waterfalls, lots of Tiki, bamboo and Thatch, it could be really cool.
Do the rooms in MCM furnture and add lots of Hawaiiana decor...it would be really cool.

The Kidney Shaped Pool is great....add Tiki Torches (the real ones they use in Waikiki not the ones you buy at Home Depot) and some Giant Tikis, and lots of tropical landscaping, waterfalls, a bridge....It would be really unique in todays environment of boring vanilla and faux mediterranian hotels.

I say, paint the place dark Brown, add bamboo and koa-looking wood touches, tikis, and it could be tiki.

Build it and they will come.

W

I've thought of this sort of thing many times. Primary to it being a successful motel would of course be location: Is there enough legitimate demand for a motel in the area?

A healthy flow of Ordinarys would be needed to pay the bills. For the most part all they care about is location, cleanliness, and cost. The good thing about that is they don't really care about decor and though a few Ordinarys may be drawn to the Tiki ("Oh how cute!") not many of them would be put off by it.

Here in the Evergreen State there are several dreary beach towns with many sad motels. It seems that no matter how crummy or musty the motel it's usually packed in the summer months. Tikifying one of these places would probably work as the summer business is for sure and the Tiki aspect would give one a marketing edge for off season.

If the whole grounds were developed into an over the top faux-tropica experience I think a property could become a big draw for groups (weddings, reunions, retreats) who want to go to a real tropical location, but can't afford it.

PA
Pan Am posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 9:19 PM

I wish someone who cared would buy the Caliente Tropics Resort in Palm Springs and do the place right. It could be the premier tiki motel in the state.

M

I haven't thought of the Tagus Ranch in YEARS. It actually looks presentable on the website. The last time I passed by it, it certainly did not look that presentable. It had the look of a "45 minute" motel in the middle of nowhere for people needing a place to "meet and greet" and then go back to their wives and husbands. I've always thought the Tagus Ranch must have been cool back in the day. As a boy I remember it being quite the place as we would pass by it. There is a great tiki motel here in Bakersfield on Union Avenue--actually there are a couple--where the tiki cool factor could be quickly amped up. The sad thing is that most of these motels are in the path of prostitutes and their customers. Here in Bakersfield we preserve virtually nothing of the past because we are embarassed by our midcentury modern days...sad.

O

I actually went in and talked with the new owners of the old Tagus Ranch Motel a few years ago because I was curious about the separate restaurant/bar. The new owners, as is typical now days of older and previously nonprofitable places, are East Indian entrepreneurs and have done a lot to make the hotel nice again. They said they didn't own the old lounge and wished the place wasn't there anymore. It's for sale if someone wants to open their own sleazy bar. There is a HUGE sign still in place for 'The Country Theater' that could be modified. Anyone interested in their own 'farm country' Tiki bar? :)

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/southwest/california/centcal/centcalsign/centcalmiscsign/index3.htm

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement".
Jim Horning

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2007-09-09 13:21 ]

I love your idea and I send you smiling Tiki God blessings upon it. My only concern is its location. Is it near anything that would bring in enough business? The Caliente Tropics (in Palm Springs) is kind of a dive, but a FUN dive... however, it IS in Palm Springs, which means lots of TOURISTS needing a hotel room. So, consider that along with your wonderful dream. If you can make it work, then go for it! I promise to come visit you!

M

There are some great motels waiting for the fixer upper routine around the Salton Sea. Heck, they might even pay you to buy them. hehe

O

I'm not crazy enough to take on something like running a motel, but it'd probably be easy to convince the owners that there is a group that would love to Tikify the pool area. Besides the Tikis around the pool - and the bar of course - there's not much else that makes the Caliente Tropics that unique.

Maybe someone would want to get a bunch of TCers together and get a group project going! Have a semi-official Tagus Tiki Club for people who want to get away from it all to their own special kitch 'country club'. The rooms are extremely cheap, the ground floor units are right on the very large courtyard, it's perfect for B.B.Q.s since the weather in summer is very pool party hot, and, best of all it's almost an equal drive from both the bay area and the L.A. basin. Sort of neutral territory. I'd throw in some money to become a member. Can you imagine what could be done if TC people worked together to make a place the way they want? Polypop to the extreme.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement".
Jim Horning

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2007-09-10 08:42 ]

PA

The Caliente Tropics has the original architecture, and that's half the battle.

Here's a blurb from their web site:

"Welcome to the Caliente Tropics Resort in Palm Springs, California where we bring the island ambiance of Polynesia to life. One of the finest remaining examples of Tiki and Polynesian styled Palm Springs hotels built in the 60's and completely updated for the 21st Century, the Caliente Tropics Resort reflects the look of 1964 while offering the spacious luxury and convenience demanded by today's guests.

Elvis visited and Nancy Sinatra lived here for awhile. Their laughter can sometimes still be heard by the pool. The Tiki torches, the dark waters, and a tropical sunset take you away to a relaxing place soothing to the soul."

Elvis and Nancy Sinatra...that's provenance my friend.

In the right hands, this place could be "it."

M

Nancy is my favorite Sinatra. These boots are made for walking... Old Blue Eyes was amazing, but his little girl got me with one song. hehe

Tiki Motel, give me your address there.

• The Terminator

I meant no offense to the Caliente Tropics, but I think there are greater examples of MCM out there. Except for the porte cochere, the architecture is standard 60's motel. But it's a cool standard 60's motel!

I stayed at the Caliente Tropics 17 years ago, long before Tiki was hip. I'm glad it's doing so well now. It was something of a dump then.

Here's the address of Togas Inn, the next Caliente Tropics of the central valley! :)

Toga's Inn
26442 North Highway 99
Tulare, CA 93274
559-688-0501

Well, it would be nice if it happened. :wink:

We stayed at The Palms Motel in Portland, Oregon for it's history, very cool neon sign, , (The place itself was one of the dumpiest motel/hotels we've ever stayed in, besides the 777 Motel next to SAM'S Restaurant in Huntington Beach, CA), but the real reason for staying there was that it was 1 1/2 blocks "stumbling" distance from the famous The Alibi tiki bar!!!

I didn't see anything that would be of interest around that hotel?

O

Nope, not a thing for about 3 miles in any direction. But thats what could be so cool about it. It could be like a Tiki family retreat! No one to bother anybody and no place to party except on the grounds. All ohana all the time.

On 2007-09-17 16:33, Okolehao wrote:

Nope, not a thing for about 3 miles in any direction. But thats what could be so cool about it. It could be like a Tiki family retreat! No one to bother anybody and no place to party except on the grounds. All ohana all the time.

OK, but it would have to be AMAZINGLY TIKI not just somewhat!!!!
Throw in a Tiki Miniature Golf Course and an EXCELLENT TIKI LOUNGE and we're there!! :wink:

Pages: 1 17 replies