Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Sven Tiki mugs for the new yorker

Pages: 1 15 replies

MC

I don't WANT to advertise not going to Tiki Farm directly to get this mug, but I have to because I was happy to get it for $5 from Waiki Wally's in NYC. I firstly was so happy to see them being used for drinks and then for the fact that WW would sell me one at such a price.
How does Tiki Farm feel about their wholesale customers selling their mugs for less than retail/ website price? I can see how WW is selling them cheap to discourage customers from stealing them.

Let me ask:
~Does the place actually advertise the fact that they sell the mugs for $5.00? I would guess that they don't.

~Are you somewhat of a regular there, where they would say "well, maybe just this once I sell it to you for $5.00"?

~How many drinks did you have before they sold it to you? (that $5 mug might not really have been $5 considering what you paid for your previous drinks.)

~How many drinks do you think that they went through in that mug before selling it to you? (they're not in the business of losing money, so I would guess that they still made money on that mug they sold to you to make THEM a nice profit on the drinks they previously served in it.)

~Can you go back to them and say "hey, I bought a Sven mug for $5, can I go ahead and pick up a dozen more?". I, again, am guessing, that they probably wouldn't go for that.

My 2 coconuts worth.

SugarCaddyDaddy

This Daddy's Caddy & The Tiki Transporter

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-02-03 12:30 ]

MC

Thanks for the 2 coconuts.
They weren't advertising the mug. Just when I saw it, I needed to know if I could get one, so I asked if they sold 'em. The bartender flat-out said "yeah" so I'm under the impression that they'll sell one to anyone who asks. I'm there alot but I don't think he was giving a break JUST for me. Sure, I've paid for that mug several times over with the amount of money I've spent there. I was in earlier that week and they didn't have them yet, but you're right, they are technically "used" and thus, not as high-spanking quality as straight from Tiki Farm. Hey, I even took it home and chipped it the first time washing it in the sink. Doh! Well, I may not be handing my money over directly to Tiki Farm, but I am supporting their customer and the demand for handsome vessels for tiki libations.
Frankly, I've talked to the owner of WW, and he doesn't care if people take or steal his mugs. (It was surprsing that I offered to pay for it. )He thinks that they are pretty cheap and is happy to replace them. So, I think that the more mugs that go out the door from WW, $5 paid or not, the more frequently he'll be calling Tiki Farm for more. But of course, I could be wrong.

On 2003-02-03 15:13, manic cat wrote:
Hey, I even took it home and chipped it the first time washing it in the sink. Doh!

Hey, I chipped my Sven Tiki mug too! Being the anal retentive perfectionist I am, once the mug was chipped, I thought "what have I got to lose?" And so, I made a lamp out of mine. The pattern on the shade is my lame attempt at a "tribal sunburst" pattern (whatever that is). I wasn't going to share this one but since we're on the topic of Sven Tiki mugs, I thought what the hell....

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-03 19:03 ]

That's me having an idea.

M

I really don't have a problem with WW selling the mugs for $5. They get them at wholesale and I think that they're probably throwing in the profits that they make on selling "x" amount of cocktails to people before the mug either "mysteriously vanishes" or is purchased. I'm pretty confident that they've got the financial legs to do this and in all sincerity, the cheaper the price for my mugs, well, the better. We're working hard to lower our prices and with our new launch, you'll find our average retail at around $8.95 - and that doesn't include the 15% TC discount. Our quality is still top notch - we are making the mugs in a very respected factory in Mexico which I've vested into and in all sincerity, Mexican ceramics are superior (for the most part) to US ceramics.

Hey Sven - you're looking a little shadey in that photo!

Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2003-02-03 21:29 ]

BB

Sven Shady? That's funny! Does Big Bro Rap?

7TiKiS posted on Tue, Feb 4, 2003 2:25 PM

On 2003-02-03 19:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's me having an idea.

LMAO ! :lol:

MC

Thanks smogbreather,
I was feeling guilty for taking a sale from Tiki Farm direct. But the truth is, I wouldn't have been able to afford it unless it was $5. Now, I have a Tiki Farm mug and show it off it in my home. Also, there's something nicer about getting a tiki mug from a neighborhood establishment (as with finding one in a thrift store.) With a good rum buzz in my system, I was delighted, and wouldn't shut up to my non-tiki friends how happy I was to be getting the mug for a "nice" price . Going to a website, submitting a credit card #, and waiting in a long line at the post office to pick up a package would not have resulted in such happiness.
PS I love how the writing on the side "Book of Tiki" actually looks like its spelled "Look of Tiki." Sven is a more than a writer, he's a Tiki Spokesmodel.

Pop, I'm working an a mug lamp myself. The only reference I have is the "Pad" book for such a project. How did you build yours?

MC

Thanks smogbreather,
I was feeling guilty for taking a sale from Tiki Farm direct. But the truth is, I wouldn't have been able to afford it unless it was $5. Now, I have a Tiki Farm mug and show it off it in my home. Also, there's something nicer about getting a tiki mug from a neighborhood establishment (as with finding one in a thrift store.) With a good rum buzz in my system, I was delighted, and wouldn't shut up to my non-tiki friends how happy I was to be getting the mug for a "nice" price . Going to a website, submitting a credit card #, and waiting in a long line at the post office to pick up a package would not have resulted in such happiness.
PS I love how the writing on the side "Book of Tiki" actually looks like its spelled "Look of Tiki." Sven is a more than a writer, he's a Tiki Spokesmodel.

Pop, I'm working an a mug lamp myself. The only reference I have is the "Pad" book for such a project. How did you build yours?

MC

Thanks smogbreather,

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.