Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

October San Diego Chop Chop 13th in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 7:03 AM

Yay BILLY BOY! That looks GREAT! I love the tonsils, or whatever you call that dangling thing. Leave it to Crudmaster Von Sidow to do more detail inside the mouth than anywhere else!

I call that one "Speaker of da House".

Dude, when did you go professional???

On 2007-10-10 07:03, Cammo wrote:
Yay BILLY BOY! That looks GREAT! I love the tonsils, or whatever you call that dangling thing. Leave it to Crudmaster Von Sidow to do more detail inside the mouth than anywhere else!

I call that one "Speaker of da House".

Dude, when did you go professional???

Thanks, guys! If you don't improve or expand with every tiki, then you're just a freakin' hack, man. I was thinking about the mouth thing as I was working on it and leave it to Cam to point out how I never shut up! Hey, at least one of my personal traits is coming out in my work!

I'm picking up logs on Friday and will bring about five 6 footers to the chop.......YOU skin 'em!

On 2007-10-10 05:50, 4WDtiki wrote:
So the chop is this Saturday, a reminder in case you all forgot with all this thread hijacking. :wink:

I vote for cheesecake.

Buzzy Out!

M
mieko posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 2:48 PM

I (or mostly my parents) will bring musubi, and we can bring some noodles. Who else is coming and what are they bringing??

I'll also mostly likely be late and leaving before 3pm, so I won't have a lot of time, but I'll be there. :)

B

I'm going and I'll bring whatever pathetic dish I can scrape together. Pineapple and strawberry skewers most likely, if everyone hasn't gotten sick of them yet.

Due to my awesome powers of persuasion and incessant nagging, I don't have to work on Saturday.

I'll bring the ice chest with water and soda plus the chocolate chocolate chocolate cookies.

B

Yo Yo Choppers,

I'll be thinking of ya when I'm down in Mexico this weekend kickin dirt, and downing Man-O-Wars...will pass out remaining mugs at the next Chop.

Viva Mexico!!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 5:46 PM

Does anybody have a copy of Tiki Modern to bring along?

We all wanna see one!

B

On 2007-10-09 10:20, Billy the Crud wrote:
Here's tiki #10, guys!!!(almost finished)His name is "Scar" for obvious reasons.

Nice uvula on that guy, Billy!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 9:38 AM

grrarlglrllrruargrlrrurar

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 9:39 AM

Nice carving.

List of attendees:

Mieko
Kate
Buzzy
Zaya
H2O
Billy
Clysdalle
Sam + Dad
Cam
Bowana
Bob who emailed me. Screenname?
Me

On 2007-10-10 17:46, Cammo wrote:
Does anybody have a copy of Tiki Modern to bring along?

We all wanna see one!

I do, Cammo. I got the idea for my tiki after next out of there. Lots of good inspiration.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 7:28 PM

Whoa, 4WD, that's quite a haul.

I'm gonna try producing two hot pumpkin pies, despite votes for cheesecake. It's just that pumpkin time of year, and unless you've never had PPie made entirely from scratch, you don't know what the heck yer missing.

Fresh Pumpkin Pie,
Made the Hard Way

Steam until just soft;
2 cups butternut squash
2 cups Halloween Pumpkin

Blender until smooth with;
1 cup milk
1 cup Carnation evaporated milk

Pour mixture in a big bowl,
and stir in;
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup

1 tsp salt
1 tsp mace
2 tsp cinnamon
3 whole eggs
2 egg whites

Pour into two pie shells made with Canola Margarine, not butter.

Bake at 450 on the bottom rack for 20 minutes, than 350 for another 25 minutes. Shut off heat, and let sit 10 minutes.

Serve warm with freshly whipped cream.

On 2007-10-11 19:28, Cammo wrote:

Serve warm with freshly whipped cream.

So you'll be showing up as soon as the pies come out of the oven? :)

M
mieko posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 9:15 PM

Yum! My mom wanted to vote for cheesecake, but then said she'd really want pumpkin pie, so you've made the musubi maker happy. :)

C

I may just cook them there, that way you can chop and sniff pumpkin at the same time.

New update! Saturday work cancelled due to budgetary concerns, soooo.. count me back in! If I can't make a pocket full of Kryptonite, I'll be choppin'!!

Gathering wood for chop shop at secret spot 10/12/07 with Brian, Billy The Crud, and Alex. A special thanks to
Bella for her help and supervision.

Thanks guys! YOU ROCK!!!!!

Ok, LOGS LOGS LOGS!! I picked up 4 six-footers today that we can cut up and distribute. It's killing me on gas in this 3/4 ton, monstrously geared 65 truck, so logs will be my contribution to the chop this month.

GREAT pics, Alex!

Mudslinger formerly known as Billybobaloo

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

http://myspace

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2007-10-12 22:12 ]

Hey me hommies...I'm be there in spirit!
I think I can smell the pumpkin pie from here....

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Oct 13, 2007 6:35 AM

It's RAINING!

A LOT!

Uh-oh. Are we still doing this? I'm leaving Yucaipa in about an hour. Keep me posted please.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Oct 13, 2007 6:47 AM

Weather outside right now:

Solid grey haze with constant rain/drizzle. They've been warning about this stuff coming for weeks now, and it's here. Great. Maybe it'll break up by noon, but it's coming down pretty constant right now.

How's O'side? Hey, 4WD, WAKE UP!

Chop is STILL ON! Drizzle here, supposed to end this morning. Nothing a couple popups can't take care of. Come on down, Kate!

Fabulous. I'll start loading up the car. See you around 9ish.

Storm over, sun's out.All's good.

Still drizzling here, but I'm getting loaded.......er....loading the truck anyways. Damp logs anyone? See you in an hour, motherflowers!

M

I'm on my way! see ya'll soon!

Another excellent Chop today.

I actually took a moment to take some pictures.

4WDTiki wuvs his 'ittle puppy.

Bowana rasping away.

Zaya, Cindy and Mieko gathered around the wood burner.

Bill's granddaughter, Victoria, working on her tiki.

Billy the Crud carves while H2OTiki supervises.

Cannibal Sam and his Pops carving. (Pops really does have the moves.)

I really love when grown men go all silly over their pets.

Thanks again to Bill and Lennie for hosting another wonderful Chop.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Oct 13, 2007 9:16 PM

Kate brought Tiki Modern along and we were all looking at it and marvelling at how easy it is now to make your own genuine original Witco piece. Just copy the leetle drawings, but put in an extra ear or bigger eyes and BINGO it's your own creation!

Then we flipped the page and there it was - full, step-by-step instructions for how to make your own fountain. We all freaked.

Maybe we should have a Witco Fountain Contest, we all have 3 hours to make our own and have prizes for;

Most Original
Least Original
Best Spewing of Water
Looks Least like an Islander Style
etc.

Buzzy could carve a trophy, or we could just ransack his trash and find something really cool to spraypaint gold for the prize.

What a great chop! Here's my pics.

Dave plans his next precision cut.

Cannibal Alex ain't no beginner!

Billy cuts up a chunk.

Kate stopped carving for 3.4 seconds.

The Mieko family work as a team.

Brian studies Kate's form.

Dave mentors Cindy.

Cam adds detail to "The Tongue".

My granddaughter Victoria shows she's a chip off the old block.

Then gets to stain her work.

Here's what I finished up.

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Oct 14, 2007 8:26 PM

I had a fun time at the chop! It was great seeing everyone. Here are my pics too!

Zaya

B

Wow, it looks like the crew had another spectacular time! Sorry I missed this one guys. The work all looks really great!!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 9:24 AM

Hey, why is this Chop getting like 2000 hits????

And 4WD's is looking pretty dang nice, huh?

Actually, Victoria's too, Grampa's, heck, they ALL look really good!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-10-15 09:30 ]

sorry I had to skip out peeps...but I finished my studio, all thatched and lit...just need to finish building my table and I'll be ready! I did get my PIFA guy finished with some of that nice gunstock color stain...(use sparingly)...here he is...

"The Guardian"

Fackin' groovin' Clyde!! Looks great, man. I've used that gunstock stain on two pices now and I love it, but I've got to be careful not to use it on too many pieces. Don't want to wear out a good thing and like you said "use sparingly". I stained that Moai(Mojai) with it and it looks great.

Congrats on another great, original piece, brudda!

B

Thanks for another great Chop-Chop everybody. Great pictures too. Good thing my jungle hat is hiding my dork glasses.

The Guardian looks fab, Clysdale.

On 2007-10-15 21:30, Bowana wrote:
Thanks for another great Chop-Chop everybody. Great pictures too. Good thing my jungle hat is hiding my dork glasses.

The Guardian looks fab, Clysdale.

Thanks Dave!!! but we still know you wear nerdy glasses :wink:

C

I like Bowana's glasses. What's wrong with nerdy? Isn't it the opposite of big, clumsy and stupid?

Here's Cary Grant's sunglasses, for example;

On 2007-10-13 21:16, Cammo wrote:
Kate brought Tiki Modern along and we were all looking at it and marvelling at how easy it is now to make your own genuine original Witco piece. Just copy the leetle drawings, but put in an extra ear or bigger eyes and BINGO it's your own creation!

Then we flipped the page and there it was - full, step-by-step instructions for how to make your own fountain. We all freaked.

Maybe we should have a Witco Fountain Contest, we all have 3 hours to make our own and have prizes for;

Most Original
Least Original
Best Spewing of Water
Looks Least like an Islander Style
etc.

Buzzy could carve a trophy, or we could just ransack his trash and find something really cool to spraypaint gold for the prize.

I'd be down for this, Cam , but three hours is way too long unless you count plumbing in the pump and making the base-box.......wait......three hours to plagiarize, chainsaw, grind/sand, burn, wire-brush, stain, and plumb? Yeah, that would be a mad rush of bloody flying fingers, burnt flesh, and foul language. Sounds fun!!

Funny, I always thought that Witco stuff came from Escondido.(hehehehe!)

C

"three hours to plagiarize, chainsaw, grind/sand, burn, wire-brush, stain, and plumb?"

Exactly. Three hours is all it should take. Heck, lets just do a Witco chop in general; three hours to make anything you want, or as many as you want; you could even do a production line of like 12 Witco llamas. Then we all burn, wire brush 'em and slap some poly on at the same time out of a big gallon can. How hard can it be?

We could even get a Witco catalogue (I know where we can get one, no kidding) and blow up the examples to full size at Kinko's, and transfer them right onto the wood first! Has that ever been done?!

We could even get a Witco catalogue (I know where we can get one, no kidding) and blow up the examples to full size at Kinko's, and transfer them right onto the wood first! Has that ever been done?!

You and I both know it's been done, hahahahaaa!!!

The trick with the Witco copies is to dip your already sooty brush back into the poly can, so as to silt it up and turn everything black......then put on ten coats so you can FINALLY put an end to that old lie about not being able to polish a turd!

B

So, what's the word on the November Chop? Did you guys talk about it at the last one? You want me to host?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2007 8:08 PM

YES!

One vote for Babalu's house. And everybody wants hot dogs!

I'm thinking of making a Witco-esque design of 'the Fair Island Maid', and cutting like 12 of them out of some 12x2 white cedar planks. How much do those cost??? You just hand-chisel out the details, right? Sand the edges. Burn. Scrape. Then a few coats in the right places of Harvest Orange and Lemon Yellow, then hose-spray it with laquer. Got all my Christmas presents made.

Here's a question - how long did it actually take those Witco wood jocks to knock out a Clama? (A cat-llama) Start to finish? 15 minutes? Less? The trick is to do 50 at a time.

Since there's no way I'm going to be able to get out of working every Saturday in November, I'm putting in my vote for a Sunday Chop.

B

How about Sunday the 18th? Is it new thread time?

I still think I could get that Witco look faster with a sand blaster...we'll have to test my theory. I need to build a sand booth for clay anyway...

Sunday the 18th is GREAT!!! I don't think Cam is available on Sundays, though. Cam?

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies