Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Where's Les Baxter?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Info on Les Baxter's final resting place (from another mailing list I'm on). The person I'm quoting works at Pacific View Memorial Park in Orange County, CA.

I have had some people tell me repeatedly that Les Baxter was here. I've looked couldn't find anything . . . [we] found him. He was under Leslie so I over looked that. Well he died in 1996 and sat in our vault till 1999 when he was put into a storage room above the mausoleum. Than when Sunset court was built we have several lower position crypts that we use for storage of cremains. They are all named and numbered so if anyone wants to come back and get them we can find them.

So I went to our cremation gal and asked her where he was and she gave me the crypt # he is in. So sad he was never claimed. But than again maybe the family didn't have any money.
So mystery solved.

I can't believe nobody ever claimed his ashes! He deserves a more dignified memorial than this.

A

In find it hard to believe that his estate didn't have any money when he died. Residual checks alone should have kept him at least comfortable. Maybe no close relatives? Maybe a family squabble?

S

He had a son , a grandson , and a daughter who wrote lovingly of her Dad in the liners notes of the EXOTIC MOODS OF LES BAXTER CD set . I quote : ..." In conclusion , I'd like to say I grew up with a genius . Dad always had an open door policy to anyone who needed help . He had a way of making people believe in their talent , and it didn't matter who you were ! I know he is still helping and teaching people all over the world . He was way ahead of his time . Thank you Capitol for not forgetting . People are really going to enjoy this set the world over . And Daddy , thanks for the hugs . I'll see you in heaven . Your loving daughter , Leslie . "

Hmm...does Skip Heller know about this? I am sure he can contact the daughter. What would be a proper way to keep the remains, and what would it cost? Can one be that broke?

He SHOULD get a statue of him as conductor, and an audio button that plays Quiet Village on demand, like the ones they used to have at Forest Lawn Glendale.

I'm sure there is more than enough support among this community to rectify the situation. I guess tact and initiative are the strategies of the day. I agree, though, that if there is any way to give him the memorial he deserves, it should be done, obviously with the wishes of the family foremost in mind.

S

Yass ...It us up to Tikicentralites and others to help rectify this quite unacceptable situation . I have emailed Skip Heller who may be happily unaware ...

On 2007-10-12 07:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
He SHOULD get a statue of him as conductor, and an audio button that plays Quiet Village on demand, like the ones they used to have at Forest Lawn Glendale.

It can be done (like anything else) with sufficient funding! Go check out Mario Lanza's crypt at Holy Cross in L.A. (in the big indoor mausoleum) -- it has speakers mounted on it that periodically play his music. :o

I don't know folks. This just seems too hard to believe. I guess it's possible (anything's possible) but it just seems unbelievable to me. Maybe it's just a different Leslie Baxter.

I'll be curious as to what finally turns up on this.

I,Z

S

I heard from Skip Heller . He will be looking into this .

This is interesting and kind of creepy. So sad to think such a great artist has not been given a resting place where he can receive tribute by fans and those that love him. Hope this all turns out positive even if it is from the efforts of tikiphiles...I like the musical option. :music:

D

I have to agree with Zombie, something doesn't sound quite right. Wouldn't he have been part of the Musician's Union or some trade group. Most of them in Hollywood have funeral arrangmenets etc. as part of their packages. Also, with the number of albums and, like was said earlier, residual checks, THE Les Baxter must have been at least comfortable. It is hightly possible that this is a different Les Baxter. I'm curious to find out how this will play out.

K

On 2007-10-11 01:19, cynfulcynner wrote:
Info on Les Baxter's final resting place (from another mailing list I'm on). The person I'm quoting works at Pacific View Memorial Park in Orange County, CA.

I have had some people tell me repeatedly that Les Baxter was here. I've looked couldn't find anything . . . [we] found him. He was under Leslie so I over looked that. Well he died in 1996 and sat in our vault till 1999 when he was put into a storage room above the mausoleum. Than when Sunset court was built we have several lower position crypts that we use for storage of cremains. They are all named and numbered so if anyone wants to come back and get them we can find them.

So I went to our cremation gal and asked her where he was and she gave me the crypt # he is in. So sad he was never claimed. But than again maybe the family didn't have any money.
So mystery solved.

I can't believe nobody ever claimed his ashes! He deserves a more dignified memorial than this.

Yes that would be me that was quoted. So here's the deal. I know how to go about getting Les of vaultage and can get him a niche at PV at 1/2 with my employee discount. I know the legal in's and out's on getting him out. So what I need is to try to start collecting donations to pay for a niche. About $1400 is the cheapest PV has. Than the niche plate would be probably less than $500. This is where he wanted to be, but the family never picked him up and all the contacts that the cemetery contacted ignored our letters and calls. We can move him out of the niche without having to refile a burial permit too. I he is moved out of the cemetery that would have to happen. But this is home to him since 1996.

So I need someone to step in who is willing to put there name on a legal document to get him out. I would do it, BUT this is a conflict of interest because I work there. Don't want to lose my job over this either.
My co-worker is a huge Tiki music fan too and loves Les Baxter so he is willing to help too.
If interested. Email me or post on the board and maybe we can get the ball rolling.
Thanks
Kim

W

Although this thread seems to be, (forgive the term), dead, I would add this.

A quick check around found this listing with "find a Grave:"

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26911224

The photo seems to indicate that there is no sign identifying the vault. I would think we could get something. . .

It is telling that no one from the family claimed the ashes, or responds to communication attempts. . . Very sad.

Pages: 1 12 replies