Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Your favorite drink from the Sippin' Safari....is?

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

RB

Made a Jet Pilot over the weekend, and loved it!

R

Beachcomber's Rum Barrel gets my vote so far. The 6-week process of making pimento dram led me to choose this recipe as one of the first we'd made, and it definitely stands up quite well against both the Trader Vic's and the Mai Kai rum barrels. Am a fan of any of them, although Donn's is far more work to create than either one of the others.

May the tiki gods bless the Bum for all eternity!

~rUPE

On 2008-05-12 10:24, rupe33 wrote:
....The 6-week process of making pimento dram led me to choose this recipe as one of the first we'd made, and it definitely stands up quite well against both the Trader Vic's and the Mai Kai rum barrels. Am a fan of any of them, although Donn's is far more work to create than either one of the others.

May the tiki gods bless the Bum for all eternity!

~rUPE

I am so jealous of those with pimento dram. My batch will be ready in 2 weeks.

M
Marlo posted on Sat, May 17, 2008 3:45 PM

Kelbo's Scorpion is excellent! Nice drink to blend up 2 or 3 at a time.....guests love it.

On 2008-05-17 15:45, Marlo wrote:
Kelbo's Scorpion is excellent! Nice drink to blend up 2 or 3 at a time.....guests love it.

Yup, I whipped up a slightly modified version of the Kelbo's Scorpion before dinner tonight. I call it, Scorpion Rising:

1 1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
1 1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed (or not) Orange Juice
1 1/2 oz. Brandy (V.S.O.P.)
1 oz. Gin (Hendrick's)
2 oz. Dark Rum (Cruzan Blackstrap)
1 oz. Trader Vic's Passionfruit Syrup
1 oz. Orgeat Syrup
2 tsp. Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur (Berry Hill)
1/8 tsp. Absinthe (Mr. Jekyll)
2 dashes of Fee Bros. Peach Bitters

H

I just made the Beachcomber's Rum Barrel, page 65. Very good, finally I found a recipe with pimento Liquor in it.I bought Pimento liquor a while ago and haven't found very many recipes with Pimento Dram.

Here is my version of the Cobra`s Fang:

With 53 drinks made and 17 to go, these are at the top of my list:

• Big Bamboo (could be my all-time favorite, but I'm partial to Mai-Kai drinks)
  • Don's Beach Planter (an early classic)
  • Cuba Kula (excellent sour drink)
  • Duke's Pearl (goes down smooth but very potent)
  • Hawaiian Sunset (one of the better vodka drinks)
  • Last Rites (another Mai-Kai classic)
  • Lovely Lovely (tasty sour drink with a kick)
  • Pina Paradise (very nice mild drink)
  • Port Au Prince(another 70-year-old Beachcomber drink that holds up incredibly well)
  • Kelbo's Scorpion (nice twist on the original recipe)
  • Sumatra Kula (one of the original Beachcomber drinks has a very unique taste)
  • And, of course, all the Zombie recipes (I'm partial to the 1950 version but they're all great)

And it doesn't end there. You can't go wrong with the Aku-Aku Gold Cup, Blue Hawaii, Cobra, Cream Gin Fizz, Donga Punch, Golden Stag, Guatemala Cooler, Halekulani Cocktail, Kamehameha Rum Punch, Mai Tai (both recipes), Pahoehoe, Penang Afrididi, Rum Julep, Sunakora, Tiki Bowl or Rum, Gum & Lime either.

Hats off to Beachbum for the research that went into this. Sippin' Safari probably has the best drinks per capita than any of his books.

Having compared the "Beachcomber's Rum, Barrel" in Sippin' Safari to the one in Phoebe Beach's "Hawai'i Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine" (by Don the Beachcomber) . . . . the one on Pg. 65 of Sippin' Safari is the one that goes into my original Don The Beachcomber Rum Barrel mug!
It's a complicated mix of ingredients but when done exactly as listed produces, at least to my taste, a superior drink.

So . . . . for today anyway, the "Beachcomber's Rum Barrel" gets my vote!

So many drinks . . . .so little time.

H

I agree with with both of you, my favorites so far are, so far

Don's beach planter
Beachcomber's Rum Barrel, you need Pimento liquor for this one
Big Bamboo, I used Havana Club gold, maybe thats why it was so good
Jet Pilot

By the way I couldn't make the Zombie (1934), I didn't know what to substitute for the Lowndes or the Appleton V/X. I don't have either one.

S

On 2008-07-08 00:21, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
With 53 drinks made and 17 to go, these are at the top of my list:

• Big Bamboo (could be my all-time favorite, but I'm partial to Mai-Kai drinks)
  • Don's Beach Planter (an early classic)
  • Cuba Kula (excellent sour drink)
  • Duke's Pearl (goes down smooth but very potent)
  • Hawaiian Sunset (one of the better vodka drinks)
  • Last Rites (another Mai-Kai classic)
  • Lovely Lovely (tasty sour drink with a kick)
  • Pina Paradise (very nice mild drink)
  • Port Au Prince(another 70-year-old Beachcomber drink that holds up incredibly well)
  • Kelbo's Scorpion (nice twist on the original recipe)
  • Sumatra Kula (one of the original Beachcomber drinks has a very unique taste)
  • And, of course, all the Zombie recipes (I'm partial to the 1950 version but they're all great)

And it doesn't end there. You can't go wrong with the Aku-Aku Gold Cup, Blue Hawaii, Cobra, Cream Gin Fizz, Donga Punch, Golden Stag, Guatemala Cooler, Halekulani Cocktail, Kamehameha Rum Punch, Mai Tai (both recipes), Pahoehoe, Penang Afrididi, Rum Julep, Sunakora, Tiki Bowl or Rum, Gum & Lime either.

Hats off to Beachbum for the research that went into this. Sippin' Safari probably has the best drinks per capita than any of his books.

HH,
Be sure to join the Grogalizer and share your thoughts on these. There are far too many recipes with no votes!

I will share my ratings posthaste. It's been on my "to do" list for some time, but now that I've been challenged, it shall be done.

Arrgh, it looks like the book is already out of print (strange, it's only a year old). Hopefully, the publisher has a few more copies left.

On 2008-08-25 20:25, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
Arrgh, it looks like the book is already out of print (strange, it's only a year old). Hopefully, the publisher has a few more copies left.

According to Amazon.com, they have it in stock ready to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Sippin-Safari-Search-Tropical-Recipes/dp/1593620675/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219727136&sr=8-1

Indeed, TWO copies left. Every book store I've contacted said that it's already out of print.

H

Zombie Punch, oh my God. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2008-11-08 19:35 ]

P

I just finished making (and drinking) a Spievak (1950) Zombie. I can barely type. Damn fine cocktail. One to a customer is probably a good policy.

I'm pretty sure that Wacko/La Luz De Jesus in LA has some.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I just ordered one from Amazon. Said there was 3 new ones and 2 used ones.

H

I just made the Nui Nui tonight. Very good and spice flavored, it has a mixture of cinamon and vanilla and Pimento liquor, which gives this drink a great spicy flavor. The orange peel gives it a light orange flavor and smell.

Jim's Special

That's a fine looking drink there, Mr. Bali Hai! And a fine bit of photography too!

On 2008-11-19 11:49, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
That's a fine looking drink there, Mr. Bali Hai! And a fine bit of photography too!

Mahalo, Mr. Mayor. I spent a fair amount of time on the lighting for that shot, so it's nice to know it was appreciated.

Here's the Dr. Wong (pg. 25) I made last night with homemade grenadine syrup. Exquisite, particularly if you like Absinthe as much as I do.

The mercury's heading down to -25 degrees tonight, so it seemed like the right time to try a Hot Zombie (pg. 123). I was all prepared to dislike it, but I was floored by how good it was.

Don the Beachcomber's Coffee Grog (pg. 15)

Decided to give my new Mai Kai Rum Barrel mug a whirl with the Beachcomber's Rum Barrel recipe from Sippin' Safari. I have to say that I much prefer this version to the Mai Kai's.

Oceanic Arts still has some copies of Sippin' Safari in their book case.

Best
Mark

It's been a bad day, and too long since I've had a '34 Zombie, so I treated myself tonight. Even better than the first time I made it.

RB

Just made a "Hot Zombie" this afternoon as I continue my week-long effort to stay warm, and dang, it's pretty good. Especially for how simple of a recipe it is.

Pages: 1 2 77 replies