Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sad news about Eating in South Florida....

Pages: 1 2 replies

OK, I got some good news and some bad news......

Lets start with the Bad news:

Next time you Northern Folks make it down here to South Florida for Hukilau's or Business or whatever, you will have three less places to eat. Ernestos, Miami Subs, and Tokyo Drive-thru Sushi have all been razed to make way for a new CVS. And, last time I looked, CVS did not have a a decent taco at any hour of the day.

For those that saw the light of the Ernestos Taco stand at any wee hour of the morning, you will recognize how severe this loss is. Ernesto's was not only open 24 hours (in a row!), they offered the best cheap tacos in the area at any place that is open 24 hours.

Tokyo Bowl Drive-Thru Sushi was entertaining and made lots of people wonder. We never made it there to eat because we always got distracted by Ernestos. So I can't comment, really, on if its demise is any kind of culinary loss.

Miami Subs was, well, Miami Subs. It won't be missed at all.

And, this is not really surprising since there is a Walgreen's about 200 feet away on the other side of the street. And, in South Florida, at least, you can't have more than 300 feet between any CVS and Walgreen's. The only exception is in the case of a Walmart Super Center being between the two, which is itself larger than the 300 feet rule.

Now, the Good News....

For those of you who know what I mean when I say "i'll have a three-way" (yes, we all still snicker because yes, it is still funny) we have completed the field research and it is official.... The Skyline Chili in Fort lauderdale is as good as it is in the north. It may not be as popular, but it is here and it is the same recipes, same presentation, same menu. The only difference is the ability to sit outside during the winter months without the need of exposure gear.

And, to prove a point that it is actually the same restaurant that you all know and love, Andy is wearing what we are now calling the official Skyline Chili tasting blouse.

See what I mean...... This is her in Columbus.

So.... we may have lost one of the best 24 Hour Taco Stands, which makes our tummies frown. But! We have now gained the knowledge that we can grab a Three-Way whenever the mood strikes. And, when the spouse is feeling generous we might even be able to pull out the occasional Five-Way.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-10-14 19:42 ]

D

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale...Sunrise to be exact. I haven't lived there for 20 years, but I visit at least once or twice a year. I'm not sure of the locations yr speaking of, but when I saw the heading on this thread I thought it was some really BAD news. I am relieved to see that it is only moderately bad. However, I just got the news earlier this week that a great old school Ft. Lauderdale hotel/resort was razed in the Lauderdale by the Sea area of town. It was made up of three different hotels called the High Noon/Sea Foam, and I can't remember the name of the last one. It had been there since 1961 and was still in very good operational shape. For those of you familiar with the area, it was literally right on the beach about a half block north of the pier and the restaurant called Aruba. I had stayed there a few times over the years when I was in town visiting family. Even though it was mostly modernized, it still had the old school Ft. Lauderdale feel and TIKIS all over the pool area. I stayed there for the last time about a year ago and looked forward to staying there again. Sadly this won't be the case. As long as the Mai Kai is still there, I'm cool. But it still sucks that these cool old places have to meet the frickin wrecking ball. From what I've heard, condos will be built on the now, vacant land. What IS the deal. Everything is going condo!! Even up here in NYC, things get knocked down and a CONDO is built. The world is becoming condos & CVS'es. Dullsville. Somebody please tell me when all of these people from Planet Money Bag invaded the world so they could come to live in all of these...CONDOS.

I still have some shots I took of the High Noon on my hard drive from a year ago. It was a great place.

J

Donhonyc, I live in Sunrise now, but grew up in Hollywood.

I believe Chip and Andy are referring to restaurants at the corner of S.E. 17th and U.S.1 (just west of the causway, right around the corner from (dirty) Ernie's), which restaurants may have been possible dining choices for those people attending the Hukilau and are staying at the Yankee Clipper/Trader or the other hotels in that vicinity.

When I saw Chip and Andy say there was bad news about restaurant closing, I feared that maybe Tom Jenkins or dirty Ernies had closed, but I am relieved that it was only the Miami Subs, Tokyo Bowl and the taco place (although I have never eaten at the taco place, so it may, indeed, be a tragic loss).

Pages: 1 2 replies