Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Big Chop in Babalu's Hood - Nov. 18th

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

On 2007-11-05 20:04, Cammo wrote:
I didn't know it was on a Sunday, so I probably can't come, but will drop a large amount of Kava at Babalu's for you knuckleheads! Somebody has to bring an unused nylon or something to hold it in while they massage it into the water. (I'll divide it into baggies that will do a salad-bowl at a time.)

No virgins to chew it for us? Or at least a virgin's nylons to strain it through? Where's the fun in that?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 9:58 AM

Freddie, are you coming?

On 2007-11-06 09:58, Cammo wrote:
Freddie, are you coming?

I'd like to be there, but I'll probably be in LA visiting my parents that Sunday. :(

C

Official...I'm out....anybody talk to billy the last few days??? H20? I need to get him his tools before he leaves for AZ....if you can, have him call or email me..

B

Clysdalle...dude, sorry you can't make it man. You need to pick out a mug brother, or do you want me to pick for you?

Going to go get some chow for us this weekend...would those of you that are coming to this Chop chime in (or pm) please? I would like to know if I should prep for a big Chop, or a little Chop.

Looking forward to another fun Chop, no matter if it's one, or fifty that show up.

It's all GROOVY!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2007 8:24 AM

I'm probably not going, but at the last Babalu Trailer Trash Chop everybody was raving about those hot dogs!

2 or 3 different dogs satisfies everybody, with a variety of mustard ya can't go wrong!

Babs - how about a pic of all the recent firings?

And what about a Kava drop-off/Man o' War Pick-up/hang out pre-party for the Saturday before?

hey babs....pic me out a good one!! Liked the browns and greens but beggars can't be choosers!

B

Yo Cam,

Dude, you and I still need to glaze and fire some MoWs before this chop! get busy Bubba! We are lagging....We should do a luster firing too.

Choppers - Hey, if any of you would like to swap the one you have for one you would like to glaze up on your own on Sunday, let me know and I will hold off from glazing a couple...might be kind of fun? Those of you who have not got one yet that have one coming, don't worry, I gots your name down. I've been busy, and lazy too...does that make since?

Kava drop off sounds great! How's about a clean Babalu's bathroom party on that Saturday before Cammo? :-)

PS...will do Master C.

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-10 08:48 ]

M
mieko posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2007 9:51 AM

It's looking like I can't make it Sunday, timing for the wedding I'm going to makes it just about impossible.

Wow. There's a lot of people who can't make it on the 18th. I feel bad about suggesting a Sunday now. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one (other than Hiltiki) with an issue with Saturdays. If you all want to reschedule for a Saturday, please do. I'll be able to do Saturdays again by late December.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2007 3:29 PM

Who IS going Sunday?

Bathroom cleanout? Um, that is, uh... :(

B

I'm going.

I didn't forget about the lantern, Rick, I just haven't had a chance to get over there. I'll probably just get it at the Chop if that's cool.

H

If all is well Cheekygirl and I are coming from here, that I know. Let us know if there is a problem...:)

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Nov 11, 2007 5:43 AM

So here's who is going to get schwackered on Kava:

Bowana
Kate
Hiltiki
Cheeky
Babs
Buzzy
Zaya

Sounds like a party!

I'll be there!

B

Cool!

I'm thinking pizza and kava would mix well.

Eric the Red, Billy, H20, Birdman...? Who else?

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-11 08:02 ]

On 2007-11-11 05:43, Cammo wrote:

Bowana
Kate
Hiltiki
Cheeky
Babs
Buzzy
Zaya

Sounds like a party!

Hey, man............Count me in on the Kava, guys. We'll need to make a trip to strip and retrieve a giant log, just down the 94 that Sunday as well. Buzzy, Mieko, and I couln't fit the big fucker anywhere, so if we can get a couple of volunteers, that would be great.......PRE-Kava, of course!

B

On 2007-11-11 05:43, Cammo wrote:

Bowana
Kate
Hiltiki
Cheeky
Babs
Buzzy
Zaya

Sounds like a party!

Finally a more even ratio of guys to gals.

:)

dont forget me and cannibal pops, count us in, babaloo if you have any of the green/brown man o wars mugs left well take 2. i just bought pops a new set of palm flex cuts for his b day he wants to try his hand on small pieces of wood.

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2007-11-11 18:30 ]

B

Jeez Sam, how could I forget you and Pops? You two are the life of the party! :-)

For those of you picking up mugs on this Chop, I don't have any of those green ones ready...I've kind of steered away from doing that one flavor as I like the stuff that I'm getting out of the kiln now better. All of the ones I have here are for the most part different from each other. I think you will like them.

Cammo, I think that we will do a glaze firing on Thursday night...maybe a luster firing on Saturday. Choppers need mugs brother.

Kate, if you still have that bowl you want me to fire for you, bring it along.

Hil and Cheeky - it will be great to see you two!

Billy, if we all don't have time to go get your log on Sunday, I will help on another day too...I think I remember the log you are speaking about. I also think I know of an easier way to get that bad boy in your truck rather than hauling a tribe over there to man handle it. Did you put oil in the gas you left over here? I might want to fire your chain saw up.

Can someone bring some old pantie hose that we can use for the Kava...I've kind of given up on wearing them myself these days.

I also have a few smaller logs here for anybody that needs something to work on. Clay too, if that floats your boat.

Any of you going to bring a pop up or two?

HT

Guys, and Gals,
I have to let you know that even though the chop is about 700 yards from my house, I will not be around to par-take in the Chopping fun. I will be somewhere in China. That's right Shanghai China, around 5 hours north by bus. It may be only 20 miles who knows? I fly out on Thursday the 15th. Good news is that I will only be gone for 3 to 6 weeks. Depends on the way things go. I will get as many photos as I can, can't post until i get back. 35mm film. Any way I will try to see how Tiki our friends to the west are. Have a great and safe chop.

Kava Good.

See ya

H20 AKA Brian

P.S Anyone know about any good Japanese food restaurant's in China?

[ Edited by: H2O Tiki 2007-11-12 17:44 ]

B

Yo Yo Water Boy,

Dude, sorry that you can't make it. You will find tons of Japanese food in Shanghai...you might even find a good hamburger if you look hard. Shanghai = big place. Yuck! 4 weeks! I start pulling my hair out after 2 weeks over there. May the force be with you brother.

PS - They will be as tiki as you want over there for the right price.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-12 18:06 ]

Hey Babs, this is a different log that's even closer to your house and not as big. The one that's up the hill will be retrieved a LOT later down the road. I'll be bringing a couple of newbies this time, including another Canadian guy from Winnipeg. Good people, man. Good times.

We'll all miss you, Brian. Hope you'll be back in time for the next one.

I'll bring nylons for the kava if Cammo will tell me what kind to buy. I wouldn't even know where to start. What color has the least amount of dye, etc.

Rick - I've got two mugs that I made from that cone 6 clay earlier this year that need a bisque firing, if it's not too much trouble.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Nov 12, 2007 8:45 PM

Kate, yer on yer own nylon wise. I don't know everything, and absolutely nothing about buying that stuff!

Crudo - It's called 'Winterpeg' up there. Try it, you'll like it.

Yup, Winterpeg, man......colder'n a witches tit in a brass bra!

On the Kava.......The family that gave us the Kava also gave me their contact info, so I MAY be able to score more in trade. They didn't ask for cash when they gave it to us, but did accept gifts. I'm not sure if it will be the same in the future.

C

Billy Crudo - MORE Kava! That stuff bee-lows my brain!

You can only try! Tell them you had a Kava dream where your head turned into a purple volcano and you had to sacrifice marshmallows to it. Then you woke up and half your pillow was gone. They'll understand.

No.........they would bash my head in with a shark-tooth club for being posessed by evil spirits and then throw my carcass to the sea!
You know, with being all busy with holiday and family stuff, I really feel out of the loop lately. I REALLY wanted to go around and make fun of everything at the Bali Hai with everyone, but I had a third wheel with me so I only got a off a few insults and snide comments. I'll be back in touch soon. Need to get grounded, man. Missing out on pointing out something stupid or lame is like missing the truck on free ice-cream day. (I need to lay off the Spongebob, man!)

M
mieko posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 3:48 PM

Hey Babs, I can drop off my pop-up on Saturday if you guys want it for the weekend. It does look so nice in your yard. :)

I'm bummed that I'll miss Pops and trading small carving tips - tell him Hi for me.

B

Yes, Wonderful! That's really great Meiko!

I'll tell Pops that he has a buddy...

Yeah Kate, bring your bowls sis, we'll make'um functional.

I'm thinking Kava, hotdogs, and ambrosha.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-14 18:07 ]

Mmmm...kava and hotdogs. Sounds fabulous to me.

I'll bring the stuff for the kiln, a pair of nylons, and the ice chest and cookies as usual.

Seems like forever since the last time we did this.

B

I may be bringing Maria again. She's got a woodburner she's itchin' to try out, so Zaya might have herself a burnin' buddy.

B

Maria likes Kava

B

If anybody needs directions, let me know...

Should be a fun one!

awww im bummed, even though i got my mallet and chisels, i wont be abble to make it out for the chop. :(
oh well theres always next month. have fun everybody!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2007 2:45 PM

Just went to Babalu's and saw what came out of the kiln.

MAJOR impressive stuff, these are maybe the best-glazed tiki mugs I've ever seen. Babs isn't one to brag, but this run is gonna blow people away. Some of these have as many as 8 overlapping runs of color, all kinds of bizarre experiments going on in the Mad Doctor's Laboratory! Never seen anything like it.

Babalu - PLEASE post some pics of the Man O' War mugs dude!

I can't stay all day, but I'm wondering if the Charger game will be viewable or listenable there? Then I could be there longer. :wink: Babs, can ya hook a brotha up?

B

Hey Wheeler...Sure enough man! Will have both TVs tuned to the game, upstairs and downstairs. Stereo cranked out back.

Can anybody bring a pop-up or two? Plus, whatever else you want to contribute if you do.

Thinking 9:00 am-ish...sound good? Come anytime, but first come = best carving spots. I have that big tent in the drive for chain saw and log stripping action...Hot dog cart is primed and ready.

Bring your cameras.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2007 6:37 PM

I can't wait to see the pictures of the mugs and happy campers. Post lots of pics, all day if possible!

You're all gonna go nutzo when you see them too!

Isn't this the one year anniversary of our gatherings?

hey Babalu, you got wireless over there?

Buzzy Out!

On 2007-11-17 19:38, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Isn't this the one year anniversary of our gatherings?

Pretty close. The first Chop was December 2, 2006 at Mieko's place.

Remember this...

M
mieko posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2007 8:45 PM

Sorry I didn't make it over there today with the pop-up, talk about a crazy day. Anyone up for swinging by my house on the way to Babalu's to pick it up? or I might be able to swing it down there right around 9am. Should be a fun day!

B

Awww, look at that Motley Crew!

Yep Buzz, I have wireless. It's ok Meiko...we'll miss you! But, if you show up in the morning for a second, you will still be able to say that you've made it to every Chop...right? There's only a few that can say this...Kate might be the only other?

These are crappy pictures (colors are more vibrant), but this just came out of the kiln today..."The Bird 2"...this one is all lined up to go to Hiphipahula's home...if she likes him.

PS: Buzzy, can you bring your Robi plainer?

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-17 21:10 ]

C

That picture is great. I forgot Babalu actually came to Mieko's first Chop. So did Aaron! (First in the phonebook.) And Buzz!

4WD looks kind of like a zombie, but that could be the jpeg encoding. Or maybe he's a zombie.

Hey, the 'Bird 2' picture IS crappy! The colors are WAY better, and that ain't nearly as crazy as the glazing went. You'll see.....

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-11-17 23:25 ]

On 2007-11-17 23:24, Cammo wrote:
That picture is great. I forgot Babalu actually came to Mieko's first Chop. So did Aaron! (First in the phonebook.) And Buzz!

4WD looks kind of like a zombie, but that could be the jpeg encoding. Or maybe he's a zombie.

Hey, the 'Bird 2' picture IS crappy! The colors are WAY better, and that ain't nearly as crazy as the glazing went. You'll see.....

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-11-17 23:25 ]

ALOHA!,
Don't think I ever posted in a chop thread before, virgin! So wheres the "WAY better pic's" ??? :) I would love to see more AWESOME work!

B

Hey HipHip,

Glad to have you on a Chop thread! My camera sucks, or perhaps it's the guy taking the pictures that sucks...Hopefully, we'll get a few good shots of mugs today.

Next, we need to get you to a Chop :)

On 2007-11-18 06:09, Babalu wrote:
Hey HipHip,

Glad to have you on a Chop thread! My camera sucks, or perhaps it's the guy taking the pictures that sucks...Hopefully, we'll get a few good shots of mugs today.

Next, we need to get you to a Chop :)

That's a fine idea. You should come on down, Kelly.

I'm running a little late this morning. I'm gonna start packing up the car now. See you all in a few hours.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Nov 18, 2007 7:12 AM

6:55 am is LATE?!

Hiphophuplulu - GRAB that one before it goes, it's amazing. It has like 6 glazed eye color circles, one within the other! And the whole bird head is hand carved, one-of-a-kind! It's today's TOP PICK!

Kate & Babs are right, try to make it down!

Here's how Kate does it, she told me this last time:

1. Gas up and pack the car the night before.
  2. Get to sleep early, like 8:00 pm.
  3. Pre-make a pot of coffee on a timer that starts at 6:30am.
  4. Put 3 alarm clocks around your bed, all set for 6:35 am.
  5. Have a detailed Google map of Babalu's Hideaway waiting on the right passenger seat.
  6. Don't shower. Don't look in the mirror at all.
  7. Think Mug. Think Chop.
  8. Break all the speed laws.
  9. Get there before Buzzy every time.

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies