Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Swizzle Stick Question/poll - how long is the perfect swizzle?

Pages: 1 7 replies

V

Aloha folks!

I need some help from the TC Tiki professors, wise men, and mixologists! I'm putting together a line of swizzle sticks - and before I get too far in the sculpting department, I wanted to ask you good people: what is the best length for a swizzle device? Is there a "standard length"? Any and all help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

J

I would say it depends on the height of the glass/mug it will be used in. I love the swizzle sticks at Forbidden Island, but they're too short for the standard Forbidden Island mug. Once the ice melts down and the hit bottom, you can no longer see them sticking out the top of the mug. But just to give you a real answer, I referred to my father's collection of over 100 swizzles that I inherited and that he collected over a few decades between the '60s-'90s. They average 6.75"-7.25". Seems the standard is 7". Hope this helps.

T

so too short is a problem but a little too long, can't see anything wrong with that.

Mix the bottom of yuor drink without getting your fingers wet.

M

6-7 inches is a good swizzle stick. 5 or below it pathetic. 8 or more is just ostenatious...

I might be wrong but I believe that the origin of the swizzle stick was from the 40's or early mid century and designed for hi-balls. Drink/hi-balls in those days were typically smaller than the overly indulgent American of today. Many of the hiball glasses were certainly under 6 inches and many 4 or 5 inches tall. A swizzle of 5 or 6" was fine. Today our glasses are much taller, and certainly our tiki-mugs are much taller. With a quick look at many of my tiki mugs , I would say that the distance from tip to rim starts at 6 or 7 ". Not knowing your design, any character or logo or design should begin at 7". It always aggravates me when the decorative element of the swizzle is submerged in the cocktail.

Now, what the heck do you do about the designers making mugs towering at 9" tall! The reality is that there is a need for a swizzle for all styles of drinkware. Rocks, Old Fashion or Mai Tai, Hi-ball, Tiki Mug. Good luck!

Sounds to me like VanTiki has somethign up his sleeve.
Care to tell us where you are going to get them made :wink:

I like a swizzle stick that protrudes from the glass by at least 1 to 2 inches. It allows me to hold the glass with my finger resting the swizzle pressed against the edge of the glass. I love glass swizzle sticks and the more colorful/crazy the better...plus I like the sound of them clicking against the glass.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 1:30 PM

I can't say that I really like glass swizzles cause I don't have a tiki one nor do I believe seeing one. But I would call that a stir stick, even though there isn't really a difference. Actually stirs just mix, but some swizzles can stab, as in fruit.

I like the heavy plastic in vintage paint colors.

Pages: 1 7 replies