Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Best Things to Do in Waikiki?

Pages: 1 2 76 replies

K

On 2011-08-09 06:28, MadDogMike wrote:
First buy a bottle of rum and a live chicken, then ... oh never mind - I thought this thread was "Best Things to do to a Wahini" :lol:

Actually I think Grog had that one covered earlier. :wink:

K

Thoroughly enjoyed my time on Oahu. Spent half the trip on the North Shore in a VRBO beachfront lauhala mat lined surf shack in the Bonzai Pipeline area. (You know you are in a true surf shack when the house wifi network is named "bongpipe"). If anyone is interested I can give you the VRBO# for this place.

Snorkeled, cavorted with sea turtles at Turtle Beach, swam under a waterfall at Waimea Valley, drove to a temple ruin that technically should require a 4WD vehicle, and visited the Dole Plantation and the Polynesian Cultural Center. The North Shore has little in the way of restaurants and nightlife which thankfully preserves the rustic natural beauty of the area. A quick drive into Hale'iwa provided some excellent shave ice at Matsumoto's and Aoki's. We also enjoyed a nice meal of fresh fish wrapped in ti leaves and a good Mai Tai at Hale'iwa Joe's Seafood Grill.

Arriving in Waikiki after four days of laid back North Shore was a shock. It is a hustling, bustling international shopping mecca. After I re-adjusted to city life I fell a little in love with the parts of Honolulu and Waikiki that didn't involve shopping, except Bailey's Aloha Shirts! On another shopping note, be advised that a Lonely Planet guide book lists a vintage Hawaiiana store called Island Treasures that was in the International Marketplace but is now closed.

Also be forewarned that many places shut down early here. Bands play early and many bars close at 9pm. Even the hotel pools inexplicably close at 7pm. Gotta love the conversation I had with the pool staff. Me: "Why does the pool close at 7?" Staff: "It gets dark." (Not really until after 8, and the wonderful invention of electricity makes it possible to light thigs after dark!) Me: "What are the kids supposed to do?" (Even tho mine is a teen, there are a MILLION little kids here.) Staff: "Go shopping." Hahahaha.

What tiki cravings I didn't fulfill at the Polynesian Cultural Center were more than satisfied when Phillip Roberts graciously whisked me around Waikiki on a tiki walking tour. The International Marketplace alone was filled with so many hidden gems it was like a treasure hunt. I loved Phillip's stories about how it used to be and what used to be where. Things I would not have known just walking around by myself. We enjoyed hearing Alan Akaka and his Islanders at the Moana Terrace as Dobrolic suggested (basic pool bar, but decent Mai Tai, good Tropical Itch and good music), Pisco Sours at Tiki's, Longboards and Li Hing Mui (a sweet and salty powder to rim the glass) Margarita at Arnold's and chatting with one of Phillip's friends who'd been on the island many years. He had a local TV talk show. He said there used to be seven nightclubs in the International Marketplace and as a local celeb he had the run of the place. A playboy's dream come true! He also said Martin Denny played his show many times, often filling in as a solo piano act when a booking fell through. Mahalo Phillip for the great tour and mahalo for all the work that went into your book. Folks, if you haven't picked up a copy of Waikiki Tiki, do it now! Phillip has been on the island for 20 years and amassed a collection of vintage and contemporary photos that make for a mind-boggling presentation of tiki eye candy in the vein of Sven's Book of Tiki and James' Big Stone Head.

La Mariana was great. I heard that recently there was an improvement in the food and drinks and can honestly say we enjoyed both, and the atmosphere of course. One unique decor piece I esp. loved was the "chandelier" of many fish floats together in a big fishing net. They have a gift shop with lots of Gecko mugs and LM tees. Can also recommend the House Without a Key bar we voted the best Mai Tai we had on the island. Will try to post a few pics when I have time. Getting ready for the Texas Tiki Round-up!

On 2011-08-16 13:13, Koitiki wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed my time on Oahu.

YAY!

On another shopping note, be advised that a Lonely Planet guide book lists a vintage Hawaiiana store called Island Treasures that was in the International Marketplace but is now closed.

I think I pointed that out and was actually in the Waikiki Town Center. It wasn't that great to be honest. The owners were great, but the stock was stagnant 90% of the time I went in.

What tiki cravings I didn't fulfill at the Polynesian Cultural Center were more than satisfied when Phillip Roberts graciously whisked me around Waikiki on a tiki walking tour. The International Marketplace alone was filled with so many hidden
gems it was like a treasure hunt. I loved Phillip's stories about how it used to be and what used to be where. Things I would not have known just walking around by myself.

*Oh and I forgot to show you the Fijian chief's chair. Damn. Next time for sure. Gee, Julie, I'm glad you had fun... I would also like to thank you for your excellent gift of a bottle of THE SALT LICK BBQ sauce. Quite tasty! And I was pleased to meet your family! *

Margarita at Arnold's and chatting with one of Phillip's friends who'd been on the island many years. He had a local TV talk show. He said there used to be seven nightclubs in the International Marketplace and as a local celeb he had the run of the place. A playboy's dream come true! He also said Martin Denny played his show many times, often filling in as a solo piano act when a booking fell through.

That was Don Robbs, UH baseball announcer... I think you were VERY shocked whe he said, "Marty was not a good piano player..." But as I explained, Martin would sometimes play until 3A and when Don would call him, he'd probably had only an hour sleep... Don's not a tiki guy, but was there in the day and he really can talk about Waikiki in a whole different context. I did not know he would be there and consider him a huge bonus to your walk.

Mahalo Phillip for the great tour and mahalo for all the work that went into your book. Folks, if you haven't picked up a copy of Waikiki Tiki, do it now! Phillip has been on the island for 20 years and amassed a collection of vintage and contemporary photos that make for a mind-boggling presentation of tiki eye candy in the vein of Sven's Book of Tiki and James' Big Stone Head.

Great review of a fun day and I thank you! I hope to see you and your family soon. Don't hesitate to call any time! As I have often said, "It's a book of memories."

Best,

Phillip

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-17 22:10 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-17 22:12 ]

We are headed to Oahu on Sunday, Aug 21 for 2 weeks of fun in the sun! Great recommendations! Thanks for posting.

K

On 2011-08-17 22:08, Phillip Roberts wrote:

That was Don Robbs, UH baseball announcer... I think you were VERY shocked whe he said, "Marty was not a good piano player..." But as I explained, Martin would sometimes play until 3A and when Don would call him, he'd probably had only an hour sleep... Don's not a tiki guy, but was there in the day and he really can talk about Waikiki in a whole different context. I did not know he would be there and consider him a huge bonus to your walk.

Yeah, I was wondering if you had planted Don there for the tour. Haha. He was great and I didn't let his quote sully my opinion of Martin. :) Thanks again Phillip.

K

On 2011-08-19 08:05, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
We are headed to Oahu on Sunday, Aug 21 for 2 weeks of fun in the sun! Great recommendations! Thanks for posting.

If you're in Waikiki, check out the Royal Hawaiian. Beautiful building and grounds. The Mai Tai Bar is on the beach and seems to have gotten lots of good reviews. We found it acceptable. There are a few interesting displays with old photos, clothing, etc. from the hotel's early days. They are off the lobby, closer to the back, the beach side.

There's also a park a little down the road to the East, right on the beach that seemed to have live music and hula every night at sundown. Even live outdoor music around a pond in front of the Royal Hawaiian on the main street.

If you snorkel, don't miss out on Hanauma Bay.

Have fun!

Now I found the Mai Tai at the House Without a Key to be my least favorite. It was way too sweet for me.

T

IMHO, the best Luau on Waikiki is at Paradise Cove. This was where they filmed some scenes for the new Hawaii 5-0 show...where the body is found in the pigroast pit.

http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/

We booked the Deluxe package which came with a Mai Tai greeting, 2 premium drinks and 2 standard drinks. I was worried that they would be watered down, but I hate to admit...I couldn't use all of my drink coupons...drinks were amazing and I still ahd one standard drink coupon left at the end.

Food, entertainment & activities greatly exceeded the PCC. Beautiful location, right on the sea as the sun sets and the firedancers perform. You can get free hand drawn temporary tattoos, hand made flower leis, the list goes on...definitely great value for the money.

B

Try this little restaurant on the North Shore next time.....

http://www.grassskirtgrill.com/

I

Happy Hour at the Rumfire. Amazing sunset view of Diamond Head. You might even see a rainbow. Bottoms up

B

On 2011-08-16 13:13, Koitiki wrote:
Even the hotel pools inexplicably close at 7pm. Gotta love the conversation I had with the pool staff. Me: "Why does the pool close at 7?" Staff: "It gets dark." (Not really until after 8, and the wonderful invention of electricity makes it possible to light thigs after dark!) Me: "What are the kids supposed to do?" (Even tho mine is a teen, there are a MILLION little kids here.) Staff: "Go shopping." Hahahaha.

I took my 75-year-old mother to Waikiki a couple of years ago. She was on chemotherapy drugs that made her very sensitive to cold, so she insisted that her hotel have a warm heated pool. She also likes a pool deep enough to swim in and that is open late enough to enjoy after dinner. And she doesn't tolerate children well. And it had to be affordable. I called nearly every hotel in Waikiki before finding the Ilima Hotel. It was a small pool, but warm, 6' deep and open to 9 or so. She was pleased.

Yeah, I told her the ocean was very comfortable in Hawaii, but she also has bad knees and can't walk well across sand or stand for very long in the surf.

K

On 2011-08-26 05:42, petittarte wrote:
Now I found the Mai Tai at the House Without a Key to be my least favorite. It was way too sweet for me.

You didn't say which one you DID like...

Which is "better," Tiki's Bar & Grill, or La Mariana?

RB

La Mariana by far IMHO. But Tiki's is easy to walk to if you're staying in Waikiki. You have to drive/take a cab to get to La Mariana.

K

Well, La Mariana is a REAL tiki bar/restaurant. Tiki's is a nuveau (sp) tiki bar. HOWEVER, if you're staying in Waikiki, there's NO REASON not to go to Tiki's. I like it and you can walk to it...:) Don't bypass an afternoon latte at the Tree House Lounge upstairs (n the tree) at the International Marketplace in the heart of Waikiki...VERY VERY tikified.

J

On 2012-07-05 15:22, christiki295 wrote:

Which is "better," Tiki's Bar & Grill, or La Mariana?

The BEST bar in Waikiki (maybe in ALL of Hawaii) is The Hideaway !!

And if you must have some Tikis then I would recommend Da Big Kahuna. It's so bad... IT'S GREAT !!

Aloha,

On 2012-07-06 12:47, JOHN-O wrote:

The BEST bar in Waikiki (maybe in ALL of Hawaii) is The Hideaway !!

Oh, JOHN-O... I have a LAST STOP dive bar to take you (or maybe just point you to) next time you are here! It's really quite something, and something ONLY you would enjoy. I refuse to reveal this information on a public forum...

But, I digress. Here's the thing... Tikis vs. LM. They are both interesting and important stops.

"Tikis Grill and Bar" is WONDERFUL with vastly improved drinks and food. Try the Pisco Sour!!

La Mariana is as usual, FANTASTIC decor and improved drinks.

Go to both...

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-07 21:04 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-07 21:05 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2012 1:26 PM

On 2012-07-07 21:03, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Oh, JOHN-O... I have a LAST STOP dive bar to take you (or maybe just point you to) next time you are here! It's really quite something, and something ONLY you would enjoy. I refuse to reveal this information on a public forum...

Thanks Phillip, I can't wait to get back out to Hawaii !!

Also how can I get inside that shuttered Bowl-O-Drome that you recently "excavated" ?? That was some super cool urban archeology. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-07-08 13:46 ]

I didn't see anyone mention Bailey's. Great Aloha shirts, biggest selection I have ever seen.

Also the "Lost" tour was really fun and very scenic. If you are a fan of the show or the many movies filmed on this island, you should check it out. Some of the best views I have seen on any island.

We found a Tiki Carver, Maile Niu in Hakipu'u on the east side of the island. VERY talented carver and we bought some tikis from him. He sells out of his house on the side of the road. So don't blink or you might miss it!

And my number one place would be La Mariana as well. Sundays are fun. Lots of locals brought their instruments and were all playing music all day. Good Reuben sandwiches there too.

On 2012-07-30 19:36, lunavideogames wrote:
I didn't see anyone mention Bailey's. Great Aloha shirts, biggest selection I have ever seen.

Does Baileys really have thousands of Aloha Shirts under $20.00?
http://alohashirts.com

Lunavideogames:
Is there a 2nd alternative for Aloha shirts in the event I do not make it to Baileys?
Maybe a store in the IMP, Waikiki Shopping Plaza, or just Reyn Spooner at the Sheraton?

M

Christiki:

Baileys has the biggest and best selection of Aloha shirts especially when it comes to vintage! But they can be a bit pricey. Believe me you will see one or two shirts that you think you have to have until you look at the price tag. But the trip there is worth it, its like visiting an Aloha shirt museum except you don't have to pay admission and everything is for sale. They also have vintage Hawaiiana items for sale which you won't see in the heart of Waikiki or the IMP's made in China Tchotchkes (love the IMP but the stuff sold there is mostly crap). It's really not that far off the beaten path either, you have to go up Kapahulu anyways to go get your malasadas at Leonards (933 Kapahulu Ave) and get your local grinds at Ono Hawaiian Foods (Best authentic local Hawaiian food restaurant - 726 Kapahulu Ave) There are alot of places in Waikiki that will sell you the Magnum P.I. Aloha shirts and Tommy Bahama knock offs or you can go to Aloha Stadium to the flea market and buy the mass produced look at me I'm a sun burned tourist ones but if you make the trip to Baileys you might find that rare unique shirt that someone might say "Hooooo brah, solid shirt!"

RB

Mongoloid hits it on the head: you should definitely do the Kapahulu Ave trifecta of Bailey's, Leonard's & Ono!

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2012 7:36 AM

No Rainbow Drive-in ?? Make it a Kapahulu superfecta. :)

Also Honolulu cult restaurant Side Street Inn now has a Kapahulu location.

It's been a long time, but I love Rainbows. Make mine terri-beef with 2 scoops of mac salad.

tiki_martin
(aka "the other marty")

[ Edited by: tiki_martin 2012-08-09 20:04 ]

These recommendations are in-depth, detailed and dynamite!

Yes, Mongoliod is correct. Bailey's can get expensive. All the popular ones are more money. Most of the Aloha shirts with tikis on them will cost like $25 or more. But there are shirts all over, but mos are generic, that's when you would want to go to Bailey's.

I guess this is the best thread to post this in - I have to add my hearty recommendation to meet up with Phillip Roberts for his walking tour. My husband & I were in Waikiki a couple weeks ago and I'm so glad I looked into it. Phillip took us and another fun couple on a whirlwind tour of everything Tiki and drank Mai Tais with us all afternoon. It's a great tour that'll take you places you'd never have thought to venture into as well as pointing out things you've walked right by in the past without recognizing. Tons of history and information, and a whole heck of a lotta fun.

Thanks again, Phillip!
-Amy & Ted

Mahalo! I get one more chance to walk the International Market Place as is. December 7th, 2013. Around 4PM (although the time is not concrete.) If you'd like to come along and are in town, it takes about an hour and is free. I know Andy and Carole are coming so shoot me an email or PM. We'll be filming some bits for the ebook.

Pages: 1 2 76 replies