Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

1962 Whirlwind Cocktail Help...

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey... I need help on an old drink recipe if possible. I have a small bar in Northern Indiana and I am always in pursuit of old school cocktail drinks for our restaurant & tiki bar, Noa Noa Wood Grill. While I was on my honeymoon last weekend in New Buffalo Michigan I purchased a wood bound 1932 Cocktail bar guide and an a great antique post card from the Creighton's Restaurant in Florida ( They had 4 locations at the time) from 1962 describing the Whirlwind Cocktail. To my dismay no ingredients are given but for a $1.25 the many descriptions are very inviting though...

"The pristine brightness of a new world
...angels' voices... heavenly music.
Wake up, Bub! You should never of have had
that second Whirlwind!" and so on...

Anyway I love tying old nicknacks we have around the bar with our drinks so if anyone has an original recipe for the Whirlwind Cocktail from the Creighton's Restaurant (circa 1962) I would love to get my rum soaked fingers on it! I'll make sure you get "props" at the bar.

Thanks-
Scott Woods

[ Edited by: rscottwoods 2007-11-06 08:17 ]

Hmmmmm.....very curious.

A
T

Scott

You should look into a book called Savoy Cocktail Book, if you haven't already.

First published in 1930, it is still in print, and has 750 old-skool cocktails.

Check it here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/103-3000872-5915032?ie=UTF8&keywords=savoy%20cocktail&tag=tikiroadtrip-20&Go.x=0&index=blended&Go=Go&Go.y=0&link%5Fcode=qs

There have been many editions over the years, but they're basically the same (they revised the measurement systems in the 1960s or something...).

Also, Ted Haigh's book is something you need to look into:

http://www.amazon.com/s/103-3000872-5915032?ie=UTF8&keywords=ted%20haigh&tag=tikiroadtrip-20&Go.x=0&index=blended&Go=Go&Go.y=0&link%5Fcode=qs

I'll go see if I can find the Whirlwind for you... stay tuned.

Maybe Martin or Dean know it?
Guys?

T

Didn't see it in the Savoy or Haigh books (you should still check 'em out!), nor in the vintage Esquire's Handbook for Hosts, or Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink.

Let us all know if you dig it up...

Thanks for looking... been on the search for 2 hours now. All I have found so far is 3 vintage postcards & a table creamer from the restaurant.
Thanks again,

Scott

I don't know if this is the same recipe for the Whirlwind as served at the Wedgewood Inn in '62, but here's what I have in my archives:

Whirlwind
1 1/4 oz Banana Liqueur
1 oz Galliano
1 1/4 oz Malibu Rum
1/2 oz Bacardi (white) Rum
1/2 oz Bacardi (151) Rum
1 oz of Orange juice
2 oz of unsweetened pineapple juice
2 oz of sweet & sour mix

Shake all ingredients with crushed ice and strain into a hurricane glass. Garnish as desired

Hope this helps.

A

On 2007-11-07 10:32, GentleHangman wrote:
I don't know if this is the same recipe for the Whirlwind as served at the Wedgewood Inn in '62, but here's what I have in my archives:

That's the same recipe as the one I linked to above.

according to wiki

Malibu Rum is a rum made in Barbados with natural coconut extract. Although the drink is made in Barbados, it is bottled in Dumbarton, Scotland by Pernod Ricard. It was first blended and bottled in 1985.[citation needed] The alcohol content by volume is 21.0% (42 proof). Advertising campaigns label it "Seriously Easy Going" and usually features people from the Caribbean taking life seriously, in a parody of the stress associated with the Western urban lifestyle, with a voiceover at the end saying "If people in the Caribbean took life as seriously as this, they would never have invented Malibu. It's seriously easy going."

so I doubt those recipes would work

Thanks for the history info Dr. Shocker. I agree... It is a very early recipe and I did'nt think they produced Malibu rum that early either. I am in the process of tracking down the owners children of Creighton's at this time. There heve been some reveiws in 65' and I have found a cocktail menu listed in a historical site in New York tucked away in a box but not listed on the web.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Pages: 1 9 replies