Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

where to order orgeat/rock candy syrup

Pages: 1 16 replies

K

is there any place to get the vic's orgeat and rock candy syrup other than the vic's website, their shipping costs double the price of it.

thanks

[ Edited by: kleptic 2007-11-20 21:25 ]

At a Trader Vics

Trader Vic's always has it, any well stocked Liquor Store, if they don't have it, will order it,
or here...

ORGEAT SYRUP
300gr blanched whole almonds
100gr white almond powder
2 liters mineral water
About 3kg white sugar
Rose water to taste
Orange flower water
Bitter almond extract

Laffo

Amazon has 8 different brands. Trader Vic's is what you're gonna be used to though. Some of the European ones have a totally different bite. You will use so little of it that your Trader Vic's bottle will last forever. Our Vic's bartender may go through a bottle, maybe, every coupla nights at the most. Most drinks will never use more than a 1/2 oz.

Here's another recipe

This recipe for orgeat makes about 1½ litres

500 grams blanched almonds
800 ml water
700 grams table sugar
100 ml Vodka or Brandy
2 Tbls Orange or Rose Flower Water (optional)

Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with cold water and allowed them to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and discard this water, then crush the almonds using a rolling pin, or you could use a food processor to chop them to a fine grind. If you need to, you can add some of the water to the food processor. Transfer the crushed almonds to a large bowl and mix them with the water, let stand for one to two hours. Place a damp cloth or cheese cloth in a mesh filter, over another bowl, and strain the almond and water mixture – squeeze the cloth to extract all the liquid.

Put the chopped almonds back into the almond water, let it stand for another hour and then strain again. Repeat a third time if you wish. This is will get all the oils out of the almonds.

Note: To speed up the process you can gently heat the almond water to 50°C (125°F). If you do this, you can cut the soak times to about 15 minutes.

Pour the strained liquid into a pan, discard the almond pulp, add the sugar and cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat when the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then add the brandy or vodka and the orange flower water. Store the orgeat in a clean glass bottle.

Cheers,
Laffo

[ Edited by: Uncle Laffo 2007-11-20 23:05 ]

First off, Kylee is a cutey. Must be proud!

I just go for the "Finest Call" for the syrup and Torani for the orgeat.Most bar supply and liquor stores shoud carry both. Actually Smart and Final should carry them both. Push them for the orgeat.

Beware of "Finest Call" cause some of it's ditchwater. Their Lime is skunky as hell and their grenadine is like Kool-Aid, but in a bad way. Since yer not running a high volume Gin Mill the savings of $2.00 on syrups isn't gonna break you.
You paid $25.00 for the mug, don't put cheap hooch in it.
The "Finest Call" was fine on my rail at The Bar, but not at home outta somebodies skull.
Laffo

Emergency Orgeat Syrup is a good substitute for real orgeat as long as you can get decent almond milk that doesn't clump. Unfortunately, Pacific (the brand featured in this link) has recently ruined their almond milk where orgeat is concerned by improving it. The "improved taste" product clumps.

The most tedious part of making orgeat is making the almond milk, or more specifically, filtering the fine almond particles out of the milk. If you follow the Home brew orgeat topic, you'll find enough tips on how to make the real thing. Scottes and I are working on putting together methodologies for making the homemade orgeat process quicker and easier. My real orgeat is incredible, but the emergency orgeat still tastes better than most store-bought varieties.

As for rock candy syrup, you might want to check this out: How to Make Rock Candy Syrup.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-11-21 06:33 ]

For a long time I wasn't able to fing orgeat, so I had to brew it. Then I found a Monin supplier and then in was the decadence. Too syrupy and artificial, the home brew is far better, unless you are so lazy you can't do it. Then you can make Gnomon's emergency-10min-orgeat, always better than any commercial brand.

And I think there's no point in buying rock candy/simple syrup, since brewing it is very easy. You must be really lazy.

S

You must be really lazy.

Or stupid. Like I was the first time I saw a bottle at the liquor store.

"Ooh! Simple syrup! I need some of that for those cool cocktail recipes in that new book I got!"

$5 later I had 16oz of water and $0.30 worth of sugar. Getting through the line at the cashier took more time than making it would have taken. I did, however, get the added benefit of sodium benzoate

Ah, Sodium Benzoate!
Delicious!
Laffo

K

thanks for the responses, I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find a liquor store that carries the stuff. If not I'll probably order some orgeat and make my own rock candy syrup

S

Geez, I just realized that there wasn't much useful info about the poster's question...

Anyplace online that ships liquids will have exorbitant shipping charges. Liquids are heavy and often fragile. So the shipping charges are expensive and so is the packaging.

I have never seen TV's orgeat or RCS in any liquor store, despite my very frequent visits looking for rums. I have seen many other TV products, so maybe asking a store to order it is worthwhile.

Other options for orgeat include Monin or Torani almond syrups, but they're just substitutes and not the real thing. You should be able to find Fee Brothers' orgeat, but in my opinion this is foul stuff and not worth the time. (And neither is TV's from what I hear - very poor taste.) You might want to look for Premiere Essence Orgeat, which is Beachbum Berry's recommendation. I've heard that Finest Call is pretty good.

You might want to do a search for orgeat here - you will find plenty of threads, and hidden within many are opinions of the different commercial orgeats. You sometimes have to wade through pages of instructions for homemade orgeat though.

Just remembered a place. They have a web page, so they may ship.

They have the TV syrups. And Monin. http://www.holidaywinecellar.com They are in Escondido, Ca.

I picked up 3 of the 4 of the TV passion fruit syrups with the 11% real juice.

I was surprised that none of the posters on this thread took Beach Bum Berry's Orgeat recommendation from the glossary of "Sippin' Safari" - PREMIER ESSENCE Orgeat by Roskin, Inc. of Seal Beach, CA (www.roskininc.com). After having Trader Vic (temporarily) discontinue their product, I tried a few before coming to Premier Essence, and I think it's top-shelf!

With The Perfect Mai Tai being such an obsession at my house - I ordered a CASE of the stuff. It goes more quickly than you'd think (especially in the summer months)!

Also, my recommendation on the Rock Candy Syrup would be Fee Brothers - some of their other stuff is just awful, IMHO, but the RCS hits the mark. Available widely, in stores and online.

-Dennis

Here's a link to a post I made in the Orgeat Syrup Brands thread a few months back. Before I was able to find almond milk in a box around here, I used to use Teisseire, a French orgeat that I would order from a Jawja company called Touch of Europe. It's not bad for storebought; not as good as emergency.

As for RCS, it's so incredibly easy to make, why buy someone else's? Anything you buy in the store has to have preservatives to maintain a long shelf life. Homemade does not. That goes for orgeat as well. As for RCS, when you make your own, you control the quality of the water and the sugar as well as their proportions. These days I'm making mine with turbinado, which is darkish to begin with, but when it goes into drinks it doesn't do much to alter the color. But if color is an issue, I'd just use evaporated cane juice crystals, which is pretty light.

S

On 2007-11-22 10:17, TikiDeke wrote:
I was surprised that none of the posters on this thread took Beach Bum Berry's Orgeat recommendation from the glossary of "Sippin' Safari" - PREMIER ESSENCE Orgeat by Roskin, Inc.

You have to read the posts. I mentioned it days ago.

It seems that you have to be either lucky, or in the right place to find Premier Essence. They list no stores that carry it, they don't seel it themselves, searching online via Google finds nothing, and I've never seen it in my neck of the woods. So no matter how good it is, it's worthless if it's not available. I'd love to try some myself, but I can't find it.

I made the same inquiry with the same results as Scottes - I'll just stick with what I'm using.

Pages: 1 16 replies