Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

hmmmm....that's all I can say..

Pages: 1 21 replies

TK

"Tiki Taco brings the Polynesian-Mexican food experience with bamboo, bright colors and the song stylings of Jimmy Buffet."

http://www.franchisewire.com/article.php?id=1964

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki and Ukulele Stuff
http://www.download.com/tikiking Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King 2007-11-27 09:05 ]

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

well it will probably look and sound horrible,
but I'll probably go, just because that sounds pretty tasty.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

E

I like the spelling of "Buffet" in the news release, in the food context. :)

E

Hey, the existing locations are in New Jersey. . . .

From http://www.tikitaco.com: "Tiki Taco is located at 67 Main St. in Toms River and 1301 Long Beach Boulevard in Beach Haven, NJ. Our Toms River Location is open year around."

I think "eewwwww..." is all I can muster.

I like that they serve Queso cheese. I wonder if they'll also serve Salsa sauce, Carne meat, Arroz rice, or Frijoles beans. 8)

Sorry, but they're late to the (tiki) punch.

Sharkeez in Hermosa and Manhattan beach have had "Mexinesian" food for at least a decade now....

AND...The serve drinks in TIKI MUGS, CERAMIC PINEAPPLES and BIRDS.

At least they used to.

I have to say, the food there was awesome.

http://www.sharkeez.net/

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :lol:
That's all I can do!
F|_|ck, thats some funny sheez whiz right there! Queso Cheese! hahaha, now thats a new one! I've heard of cheddar, bleu cheese, monterey jack, but Queso cheese?? Give me a couple of smigeons of that on some bread, and I'll be good to go! I'll be laughing at this one for a while....

It's almost like the worst, bad joke one of us could come up with. I'm still not convinced it's not a put-on.

TM

Rubio's fish tacos had something a few months back called "Langostino lobster".

I made a stink of it at the counter, of course, calling for the manager and berating him for 15 minutes until he reluctantly agreed they were really selling "Lobster Lobster". I think he finally broke down and made a call to corporate HQ.

As opposed to "crab lobster" or "steak lobster", or even "loobster" (what Cliff and Norm ate at the Hungry heffer), Lobster Lobster with Cheese-Cheese is really good.

Now if they could just get rid of Jimmy Buffet and hire "Los Hermanos Brothers" to play live, I could die a happy man. (I have heard they are a well known surf punk band from H.B.)

I've been to one of them in NJ Surf City or Long Beach Island. Got A shirt, they have tikis outside ala New Jerseys by way of Floridas Tiki Murph. I have NOT however tasted the foods. What more can I say?

On 2007-11-27 11:10, The Gnomon wrote:
I like that they serve Queso cheese. I wonder if they'll also serve Salsa sauce, Carne meat, Arroz rice, or Frijoles beans. 8)

Oh hell that is friggin Hilarious.
I'm dying over here.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Got to say, though I share people's distaste for it (this is Tikicentral after all, we've got standards...), "tiki taco" is a pretty effective name from a marketing perspective. Hey, don't shoot the messenger, it just does seem well chosen in terms of rhythm, memorability, and evocativeness.

I'm surprised by the Buffett reference (and yes, misspelled, how classic). Rather audacious to make the reference, apparently to draw on the positive associations people have with it, then in the next sentence make a strongly implied dig at him ("far from ... your average cheeseburger"). Pretty gutsy, and I'm not sure in an entirely admirable way.

T

I ought to amend that. That was not the co's own marketing text, it was written by a third party, the trade publication. The company represents itself here, and makes no cheap digs at anyone:
http://www.tikitaco.com .
I was wrong to imply otherwise above.

B

pizza pie

H

On 2007-11-28 14:47, Benehune wrote:

pizza pie

curry sauce

Just an "FYI"!! If you are ordering "langostinos" on any menu you are not getting lobster. Langostino is like crab with a "K".

Krab is not crab and langostinos are crabs, not lobsters. Really.

I like the idea of the tiki taco joints. It's perfectly fine to misrepresent the idea of "tiki" and "taco" in the marketing sence (and consumption for that matter) when it is far (geographically) from either aspect and the person has no clue about it. The only people that will guffaw are eaters of mexican food tiki dorks like us.

If a place did such a thing as close to the border as I am right now I would have to complain. I do think it is kinda funny when they get the English words wrong though. :)

On 2007-11-28 13:11, Thomas wrote:
Got to say, though I share people's distaste for it (this is Tikicentral after all, we've got standards...), "tiki taco" is a pretty effective name from a marketing perspective. Hey, don't shoot the messenger, it just does seem well chosen in terms of rhythm, memorability, and evocativeness.

I'm surprised by the Buffett reference (and yes, misspelled, how classic). Rather audacious to make the reference, apparently to draw on the positive associations people have with it, then in the next sentence make a strongly implied dig at him ("far from ... your average cheeseburger"). Pretty gutsy, and I'm not sure in an entirely admirable way.

On 2007-11-28 13:26, Thomas wrote:
I ought to amend that. That was not the co's own marketing text, it was written by a third party, the trade publication. The company represents itself here, and makes no cheap digs at anyone:
http://www.tikitaco.com .
I was wrong to imply otherwise above.

I reserve the right to make fun of anyone or anything, especially, if the company has a Department of Redundancy Department :lol:

That, however, doesn't mean I couldn't also be their best customer. If Poop on a Cracker makes the best dang poop on a cracker and I'm into it, I'd be happy to have their SOS. It doesn't mean I wouldn't make fun of them, particularly, if they had an extensive poop menu.

...just when you thought that cack had dried up and blown away...

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-11-29 08:50 ]

On 2007-11-29 08:43, The Gnomon wrote:
That, however, doesn't mean I couldn't also be their best customer. If Poop on a Cracker makes the best dang poop on a cracker and I'm into it, I'd be happy to have their SOS. It doesn't mean I wouldn't make fun of them, particularly, if they had an extensive poop menu.

:) :) :)

On 2007-11-29 08:49, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

:) :) :)

Dyslexia is just as much of a blessing as it is a curse. :D

- crap e diem

E
Erika posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2007 9:08 AM

I was in Toms River, N.J., yesterday afternoon and tried to go spy out Tiki Taco, but it seems to be gone---there was something else at 67 Main Street, called River [Something] Market. Hard to imagine someplace like Tiki Taco going out of business. :wink:

Happy ending: we had lunch at White Castle instead.

Pages: 1 21 replies