Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Texas Ohana Head Count

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

This thread is for Texas Ohana to post their locations and I wanted to see how many Texans where here.

Unkle John ~ Lubbock area.

Still here in Houston!

And Kilikopela and his wahine are back here from South Korea for good - Yay!

YAHOOO!

S

Suzanne checkin' in, from lovely Denton..... let's get together while I'm still here!

Suzanne

K

Here.

Is this the official list for the next gathering?

Which, speaking of, when is?

There he is!

Yeah I figured we should start now on gathering names to send out reminders of the next gathering.

S

So, there are four of us in the entire state?

Suzanne

LOL no no dear Suzanne.

The last I counted there was well over two dozen (not including their spouses) that are represented here and on the TX Tiki site.

Does it count that I have a small plot in Mineola? Tiny, actually.

Wow Mineola!

Well, if you can make it to the gathering, I'd say yeah!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 19, 2007 2:51 PM

GROG transplanted Texan----but still Texan at heart. GROG still have GROG' hat and boots.

ain't nothin' in Texas but.....
oh hell I can't say it.
:)
Jeff(bigtikidude)

But what?
Girls who all look like Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders?
Quick access to Mexico for cheap booze procurement?
Great job market?
Dallas Trader Vic's?

Yea, it's awful here :wink:
C'mon home, GROG baby - you know you want to.
F

SIgn me up as a former Dallasite who is now a "fly-in Texan". Like the Grogmeister, I still have boots and Stetsons.

On 2007-12-19 14:51, GROG wrote:
GROG transplanted Texan----but still Texan at heart. GROG still have GROG' hat and boots.

Oh yeah? Where from?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 11:40 AM

Well, got the hat at a football game along with a nice large foam finger, and the boots at a western store.

Or were asking where GROG from?

Grew up in a little town South of San Antonio. Lived in and around San Antonio, and Austin. Went to college in San Antonio and outside of Dallas.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-12-20 11:56 ]

cool to hear that Grog!

Where outside of Dallas? That's my old stomp'n grounds

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 2:45 PM

East Texas State University in Commerce. Now it's a division of A&M.
GROG glad GROG got out before GROG became an Aggie.

On 2007-12-20 05:18, Formikahini wrote:
But what?
Great job market?
Dallas Trader Vic's?

F

I was just Razzin Grog,
im not gonna say anything bad about Texas,
I want to go to a BBQ trip there so bad.
I can taste it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-12-20 19:33 ]

H

On 2007-12-20 19:32, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2007-12-20 05:18, Formikahini wrote:
But what?
Great job market?
Dallas Trader Vic's?

F

I was just Razzin Grog,
im not gonna say anything bad about Texas,
I want to go to a BBQ trip there so bad.
I can taste it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

A Texas BBQ?

Here's a classic one from the Butthole Surfers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNAHoOKxok

Where's Ledbetter?

On 2007-12-20 20:08, RevBambooBen wrote:
Where's Ledbetter?

Ledbetter is on the Southern Pacific Railroad and U.S. Highway 290 between the Brazos and Colorado rivers eight miles east of Giddings and a mile north of Cummings Creek in extreme north Fayette County. It was named for an early pioneer family. In 1870 it was the first community in the county to be served by a railroad and enjoyed a brief period of prosperity in the 1870s and 1880s. It was a voting precinct by 1876. Ledbetter declined around 1900, when La Grange began to develop as the economic and political center of the area. The major industry of Ledbetter is the mining and shipment of gravel; some 100,000 cubic yards of crushed rock, used mostly for road construction purposes, is removed from its quarries annually. By the 1950s cotton and poultry were also important in the local economy. Ledbetter was the first community in Fayette County to organize an independent school district, and it was for this reason that the town incorporated in the late nineteenth century. In 1902 it had four churches, four general stores, two lumberyards, two saloons, two drugstores, and a blacksmith shop and was served by two physicians. By 1947, however, the churches had disappeared, and only three stores and three filling stations still existed. The population was 300. In 1947 the town voted to disincorporate, and the Ledbetter Independent School District was dissolved. The few children who remained in the community were taken into the school district at Giddings. By 1986 the population had further declined to seventy-six, and only three businesses remained. Through 2000 the population was still recorded at seventy-six.

I'm a map to Ledbetter!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-21 08:00 ]

On 2007-12-20 14:45, GROG wrote:
East Texas State University in Commerce. Now it's a division of A&M.
GROG glad GROG got out before GROG became an Aggie.

Oh man I almost went to ETSU!
We would have been alum-chums!

The little college I went to in Corsicana is now owned by A&M. So I know how you feel.

B

I am still here and I am waiting for another gathering in Dallas.

And also in San Antonio, Mr and Mrs Heelgrinder.
(Well, he's actually El Gato Scott, but I'm not sure if he posts here).

And moved from San Antone to Austin is Strawberry Girl, engaged to one of the I Belli di Waikiki boys!
Sergio, an I Belli buddy, is still in San Antone. These are more tiki event people than TC, but they'd come for a gathering!

Charlie/Teko Teko has moved from San Antone. Still in South Texas at school (en route to his dream: teaching diving in Hawaii)? He's fairly active (or used to be) on TC Shout. Anybody seen him recently?

Kenike/Dennis is still in Dallas (did he already post here?).

On 2007-12-21 08:02, Unkle John wrote:
The little college I went to in Corsicana is now owned by A&M. So I know how you feel.

Ha -Would you believe my family founded Corsicana? I have a photograph of the covered wagon that brought my then-recently-widowed great great (great?) grandmother Diadema Jester from Indiana with her 6 children. Talk about pioneer spirit! My mom grew up there. She just went to her 60th reunion of Corsicana High in fact.

Great antiquing there now. I always stop on my way up or back to Dallas for Trader Vic's runs!
F

K

On 2007-12-21 09:39, Benehune wrote:
I am still here and I am waiting for another gathering in Dallas.

How does May 3rd sound? That's one year after our last gathering. I figure 5 months should be enough time for people to make their plans. Thoughts?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 23, 2007 11:53 AM

Hey, that sounds fun. Where are you going to meet? The Million Dollar Saloon?

K

On 2007-12-23 11:53, GROG wrote:
Hey, that sounds fun. Where are you going to meet? The Million Dollar Saloon?

Nah...Keg Steakhouse in Plano.

S

Y'all can come to the Texas Roadhouse in The Colony and ask for Suzanne... I'm there working my tail off to afford my Mai Tais. :)

I'll ask for May 3rd off of work. :)

--Suzanne

Count us in...if there is a gathering we would like to be there..live on the outskirts of Dallas..would really enjoy meeting others.

On 2007-12-23 08:02, Formikahini wrote:

On 2007-12-21 08:02, Unkle John wrote:

Ha -Would you believe my family founded Corsicana? I have a photograph of the covered wagon that brought my then-recently-widowed great great (great?) grandmother Diadema Jester from Indiana with her 6 children. Talk about pioneer spirit! My mom grew up there. She just went to her 60th reunion of Corsicana High in fact.

Great antiquing there now. I always stop on my way up or back to Dallas for Trader Vic's runs!
F

No way!

Man that town has some cool history! There's the Elephant that ran amok, the grave of the unknown tight-rope walker, the old crematorium (demolished), the hanging monkey(blown down), Dee's Diner/Cafe (Dr. Pepper decorated), and then there's the beautiful Jewish cemetery, I took many photos there when I was in college. And "yes" antiques out the wazoo!!

I think May 3rd would be a great time to gather.

S

May 3rd is so far off...

Suzanne

K

May 3rd is so far off...

I'm at Trader Vic's almost every Saturday for happy hour if anyone wants to split some pu-pu's.

Tres de Mayo!

Looks like a "GO" for me.

On 2007-12-27 17:51, rugbymatt wrote:
Tres de Mayo!

Looks like a "GO" for me.

ARIBA!

On 2007-12-19 09:12, The Gnomon wrote:
Does it count that I have a small plot in Mineola? Tiny, actually.

On 2007-12-19 14:23, Unkle John wrote:
Wow Mineola!

Well, if you can make it to the gathering, I'd say yeah!

It's the family cemetary plot. I can only get in if I choose to be cremated. My portion is really, really small.

I'm up in the DC area. But next time I visit my mom, my aunt, my grand parents, and all the others currently residing in the plot, I'll know that ohana is not far away.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-12-28 08:02 ]

S

On 2007-12-27 14:13, Kenike wrote:

May 3rd is so far off...

I'm at Trader Vic's almost every Saturday for happy hour if anyone wants to split some pu-pu's.

I work every day this week except Jan 1. Do you think they'll be closed?

Suzanne

K

They's open!

S

On 2007-12-29 18:20, Kenike wrote:

They's open!

That's fabulous! I'll be there. Any chance I might see you there?

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-12-31 11:53 ]

Born and raised in San Antonio. Spent 8 years in hell (California) and came back to Austin.

UJ

Welcome aboard Janet!

Hope to hear more about your collection and/or home bar!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 11:04 AM

Janetmermaid,

You've got a ranch in Lockhart? GROG mom still own some land in Lockhart.

Sounds like you lived in the same places as GROG. San Antonio, Austin, California.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-01-02 11:05 ]

On 2008-01-02 11:04, GROG wrote:
Janetmermaid,

You've got a ranch in Lockhart? GROG mom still own some land in Lockhart.

Sounds like you lived in the same places as GROG. San Antonio, Austin, California.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-01-02 11:05 ]

Yep one of us is following the other around. :)

• Thomas Edison High School in San Antonio, followed by 9 years with Datapoint Corporation.

• Too many small startups in the bay area to count -- but lived in Hayward, then Fremont.

• Apple, Motorola, then a small startup in Austin -- although we actually live in Cedar Park (have for 13 years).

• The place we're buying in Lockhart is 3.5 miles east of 183 off CR 672 (Flores) -- http://www.TikiAcres.com. The ranch used to be both a private home and religious retreat, which explains the large workshop (was the sanctuary and social hall), the funky house and 5 RV hookups, and the lake with a registered name. We LOVE it and can't wait to turn it into a Polynesian Paradise!

JMermaid, just curious if you knew the previous owners name, of the acreage that is. It's a longshot but if her name was Charlene.............

I sent you a Personal Message, check it out.

JTVic

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-01-02 13:00 ]

Previous ranch owner was Harold Segler, the local college football coach for many years. He also held a lot of revivals and religious retreats on the property, which explains the strange configuration of the house and the 2500 square foot "workshop" (it was the sanctuary).

B

Glad to see a few Texans. Add me to the list. I am here north of Houston, by a little body of water called Lake Conroe. Went to UNT and SHSU. I would love to meet more Texas Tikiphiles, its lonely carving by yourself, especially when you have only a few folks to enjoy them. I mainly post in the tiki carving section and never get over here, glad I did.

Dan

UJ

Say Dan, I saw you went to SHSU, you don't happen to know Andy Emmons or Aaron Chatham do you?
They should have been student's about the time you went (i hope).

Pages: 1 2 51 replies