Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki fountains at Walgreens

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

I'm one of those people who is happy to find Tikis anywhere in the mainstream shopping world so I thought I'd pass this one along. My brother picked up this Tiki fountain at a Walgreens in Chicago for $5.99 (they are 2 for $10 but now that Christmas is over probably cheaper). Apparently they had 3 styles, but he felt this was the most traditional looking. This is not a tranquil fountain, unless you find the endless whirring of the pump to be the essence of tranquility. Still, not to bad for a candle holder. Thought I'd pass it on for anyone who might be interested.

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:33 ]

Do you think the Walgreens that sits on the site of the KAHIKI sells them?

On 2007-12-25 10:11, MNZombie wrote:
... Tiki fountain ... for $5.99 ...

5.99 ??
this is unbelievable cheap ?!
i want one, too.
looks really not bad ...

Perfectly fine for some place on the pati... I mean lanai. Intermingled inbetwixed the tropical shrubbery and such. Just turn on the outdoor speakers and you can't even hear the pump.

I got one for Xmas - it is very quiet, almost silent

On 2007-12-25 11:21, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Do you think the Walgreens that sits on the site of the KAHIKI sells them?

:lol:

:evil:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

I still do not shop at Walgreens.
You should have seen the fountains at Kahiki.

yeah...walgreens at least could have made little replica fountains like those of the kahiki's.....still would not have justified what they did to the place.

shame on you for supporting them by buying that cheap ugly crap...

any truth to the rumor that Topical Bistro in Columbus is going to be selling little table top fountains of Wallgreens store?

No but when I visited last weekend the TB folks sold me a little monkey pod wood table that came from the Kahiki.

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:34 ]

On 2007-12-28 16:20, mymotiki wrote:
Hey, I like cheap ugly crap. I resemble that. I look at it this way. When you first start collecting tiki you take what you can find. Then as you learn more about it your collection starts to change because you learn more and appreciate the nicer stuff. Then you can get rid of that cheap ugly crap. When I get done with the fountain, i'll send it to you. At first, beggars can't be choosers.

...yadda. yadda,yadda.....good for you. beggars are cheap and lazy...always were. That's why they are beggars. There is an entire wealth of tiki artists and artisans here on t.c. that would love your support (and money)....sure, 10-15 years ago it was okay to snap up whatever tiki was available cause there wasn't any new items to be had or being produced for that matter, but in this day and age, c.mon....you just insulted all the fine folks here that make all sorts of cool tiki items, whose prices range from the extremely cheap to the ridiculously expensive....i'm sure the six bucks you spent on the fountain would have been better spent on something here on tiki central....

"I may not always be right...but i'm never wrong"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-12-28 18:47 ]

He didn't insult me. It's his money, he can buy whatever the fuck he wants. Name calling is so childish don't you think Tipsy?

T

On 2007-12-28 18:36, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

...whose prices range from the extremely cheap...

Can you point to some examples.
I am always looking to purchase from the great folks at TC but it seems that now that tiki is popular, everything is over my price range.

On 2007-12-28 19:25, Jungle Trader wrote:
He didn't insult me. It's his money, he can buy whatever the fuck he wants. Name calling is so childish don't you think Tipsy?

i don't recall calling him anything.....i was merely making a statement about beggars in general....if you consider it name calling, so be it.

and yes, folks can buy whatever they want...

look- i only stated my opinion about the fountain....then he chimed in and stated his opinion..big deal, so we don't see i to eye on the subject...apparently neither do you and i....

you folks really didn't think i was going to let you out of this year without one last argument, did you??? LOL

whoo hooo!! can't wait to see what other fallout comes from my post....!!! happy new year everyone!!!

"I may not always be right...but i'm never wrong"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-12-28 19:43 ]

On 2007-12-28 19:25, TikiPhil wrote:

I am always looking to purchase from the great folks at TC but it seems that now that tiki is popular, everything is over my price range.

i wish i could, but how do you expect me to know your particular price range??? besides....if you are here on t.c., then i'm sure if you dig around here you should be able to find what you are looking for.

T

Well I do love that search feature here on Tiki Central ! Here's a link to some great TC art for $10 - $12.00

Tiki Pendants

And if you are handy, crafty or whatever here's another link

Tiki on a budget

Tikisgrl

M

I didn't mean to open a can of worms. As for supporting the artists on the T.C forums ....

"There is an entire wealth of tiki artists and artisans here on t.c. that would love your support (and money)...."

.... I'm quite proud of my fantastic Lake Tiki carving and would love to have more of the fantastic pieces he offers at Hala Kahiki, or great works by other artists I'm discovering. The sad truth is retail management doesn't pay much, and it's a lot easier to spend $5 and get a little amusement for myself from time to time. That being said, my collection does have some nice pieces.

Again, sorry for opening the Walgreens/Kahiki can of worms

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2007-12-28 23:11 ]

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2007-12-28 23:48 ]

...look, more often than not something comes up on tiki central that hits a button with me. I don't mean to be an ass though alot of times i come off like one around here. I know that alot of folks here may find me unfavorable (i know this cause the ones that do like me tell me what the ones that don't like me say about me) -well tough tamales!! I just have some strong opinions (and they are only opinions) about certain topics and i tend to go off about it. I should probably be medicated....anyway, sorry if i screamed a ya. I'm sure someone else here will send me spinning off on a tangent again before long...we have a big year ahead of us, so fasten your seat belt and get ready....LOL

The little guy on the right looks like a Lake Tiki.

On 2007-12-28 19:25, TikiPhil wrote:

p.s.

Phil,

Come to our next sale.

Hey these little fountains from Walgreen's are so tacky I had to get the 2-fer deal.

T

Hey Ben thanks for the invite. The 51.1 mile journey (door-to-door according to Google Maps) has been on my to-do list for a long time.

Ok wow.

T

$3.99 each this week, IF you can find them.
My local store doesn't seem to have them. I
will be checking a few stores in the big
city on Friday when I go back to work.

I have to put in a good word for these little guys.

As far as ultra cheap new tiki stuff, these are at the top of the heap for price and style. There, I said it. :)

Compared to the Party Store stuff with the garish colors, these things are beautiful, and SO inexpensive!

You can keep them on the low tables, and not worry if a child knocks them over. You can keep them outdoors in inclement weather and not worry, because they're basically disposable.

They're also whisper quiet little pumps! I left mine on all day and night, walking by it constantly but totally forgetting to shut it off.

A couple of the tikis are nice looking, a couple not so nice, but the color is great all around, and I love gently gurgling water on quiet nights.

To the nay sayers, tell ya what, as soon as I find that Witco fountain in the wild, I'll pass these on to someone newer to the collecting. :)

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-23 04:43 ]

..but would you not agree that those of us who desire not to have these things crapping up their tiki rooms is just as valid of an opinion/option as is yours of cooing over it????.....

TIPSY, do you understand the futility of beating a dead horse?

I think he does, but I appreciate his tenacity in playing devil's advocate to some of the new stuff, while being enthusiastic about some it. It is all about personal taste, so if something particularly tacky irks you so much that you just can't let it stand there unassailed, fire away. :)
It might seem as futile as political debate often does, but it shows the different viewpoints well.

On 2008-04-23 07:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think he does, but I appreciate his tenacity in playing devil's advocate to some of the new stuff, while being enthusiastic about some it. It is all about personal taste, so if something particularly tacky irks you so much that you just can't let it stand there unassailed, fire away. :)
It might seem as futile as political debate often does, but it shows the different viewpoints well.

.right you are!! i never attack any of these things expecting to enlighten anyone or change their minds about it...but i DO try to offer my point of view, however negative it may seem to some in hopes of providing a more well-rounded perspective....reality is not one-sided and the skies aren't always blue, though some would attempt to live their lives as if it were true.....reality has 2 sides..when one is in the foreground, the other is lurking in the background and they flip flop depending on ones perpective, but at the end of the day, both views are just as valid....just depends on where you happen to stand.......

I just plain love a continued, sometimes heated conversation regarding a $3 piece of home decor!

Honestly, if it means anything at all, it means we have a comfortable culture! Only a member of a well off society could possibly find the time to post on a thread like this, pro or con, so let's take a moment and appreciate our similarities in that regard.

I mean think about it, it's awesome!

I love my 3 Tiki Fountains that I bought on a trip to pick up toothpaste and razors, and now I'm discussing them with people from all over the world with very similar tastes, yet many varying levels of seriousness.

As for the tiki fountains themselves, I chose not to use the pebbles that come with them, I feel they clutter up the lines. Yes, I'm serious.

Oh, and if this was directed to me:

".but would you not agree that those of us who desire not to have these things crapping up their tiki rooms is just as valid of an opinion/option as is yours of cooing over it????....."

I certainly agree! But I continue to coo. :)

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-23 08:45 ]

T

"reality is not one-sided and the skies aren't always blue, though some would attempt to live their lives as if it were true"
Especially Cindy Lou Who that was only but two!

Could not pass that up.

Lighten up for cripes sake! Has everyone lost sight of the fact that we collect cheesy throwaway crap from tacky, old Chinese restaurants!?!? I think a few people need to check out the Tiki Snob thread & take a good look in the mirror. I've been a Rod & Kustom guy since I was 12! Believe me, I see plenty of cars that I think are hideous or "not done right" but I keep it to myself! If someone wants to put a 98 Grand Am dashboard in a '50 Ford that's his right. It's his freakin' car!!! Who am I to say it's wrong? I'm not gonna insult the guy! I just throw up in my mouth a little bit & walk away as quickly as I can in search of something better. My point is: enjoy your stuff, share kind thoughts with others with similar interests & lighten up on the people who don't think exactly like you. Most TCers develop more of a sense of "good" & "bad" tiki as they go along. It's a learning process, and if they don't, what do I care? It takes way too much energy to attack people for being different than me & it accomplishes nothing! This stuff is an escape from war, high prices and everyday crap! It's not serious stuff! Why take the fun out of it for yourself or anyone else!?!? As far as the Kahiki goes, how can you blame Walgreen's? They didn't see a Kool Tiki joint & decide to flatten it. They saw a piece of real estate! Blame it on the people who sold it or the people who stopped patronizing the place & took the profitability out of it! I'm not much of a fan of giant conglomerates, but they see nothing but a piece of land. They don't even notice what's on it. So, if there's a kool place in your area, whether it's a drive-in, diner, lounge or Tiki Bar, frequent it, let them know you appreciate it & give them a little bit of your hard-earned cash, before it's too late! I'm done now. My soapbox is starting to give way, so have some fun, pat someone on the back & lighten up on the misinformed!
Mahalo!
Rick

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-04-24 08:04 ]

gee..for someone who's preachin love and understanding, you sure are one angry dude attacking those of us whose only crime is voicing an opinion...

i think you are the one who needs to lighten up my friend...

now, THAT, was a venting rant. no doubt over due and well needed.

On 2008-04-24 10:37, TIKI DAVID wrote:

..no one likes an ass-kisser!!

On 2008-04-24 10:51, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

BOY ! boy,do you have a lot to learn.

On 2008-04-24 11:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:

On 2008-04-24 10:51, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

BOY ! boy,do you have a lot to learn.

thanks..but tiki central and/or this thread is not the place for me to learn right now....in fact, i don't want to gum up this thread anymore than i have going round and round about this with you and the rest of em'.......(now i know how you feel, sven) but i assure you, i will continue to bestow praise on this forum where and when i feel necessary and to decimate, obliterate and level where it applies....till then, i'm movin' on....

S

On 2008-04-24 08:03, Big Kahuna wrote:
Lighten up for cripes sake! Has everyone lost sight of the fact that we collect cheesy throwaway crap from tacky, old Chinese restaurants!?!? I think a few people need to check out the Tiki Snob thread & take a good look in the mirror. I've been a Rod & Kustom guy since I was 12! Believe me, I see plenty of cars that I think are hideous or "not done right" but I keep it to myself! If someone wants to put a 98 Grand Am dashboard in a '50 Ford that's his right. It's his freakin' car!!! Who am I to say it's wrong? I'm not gonna insult the guy! I just throw up in my mouth a little bit & walk away as quickly as I can in search of something better. My point is: enjoy your stuff, share kind thoughts with others with similar interests & lighten up on the people who don't think exactly like you. Most TCers develop more of a sense of "good" & "bad" tiki as they go along. It's a learning process, and if they don't, what do I care? It takes way too much energy to attack people for being different than me & it accomplishes nothing! This stuff is an escape from war, high prices and everyday crap! It's not serious stuff! Why take the fun out of it for yourself or anyone else!?!? As far as the Kahiki goes, how can you blame Walgreen's? They didn't see a Kool Tiki joint & decide to flatten it. They saw a piece of real estate! Blame it on the people who sold it or the people who stopped patronizing the place & took the profitability out of it! I'm not much of a fan of giant conglomerates, but they see nothing but a piece of land. They don't even notice what's on it. So, if there's a kool place in your area, whether it's a drive-in, diner, lounge or Tiki Bar, frequent it, let them know you appreciate it & give them a little bit of your hard-earned cash, before it's too late! I'm done now. My soapbox is starting to give way, so have some fun, pat someone on the back & lighten up on the misinformed!
Mahalo!
Rick

Part of this is simply the medium. You are not telling guys their car is "wrong" at a show, just thinking it. But, were there a forum like this and people posted a pic of that car, you might well give your opinion.

And, I'd have walked into some tacky ass excuses for a tiki bar in my day and just kept my mouth shut or quickly found some something I could make a decent comment about. But if they posted pics here on TC, I might just tear it up.

So maybe its not so much we need to lighten up on people expressing opinions as much as realize this medium is a lot less polite than any of us are in person.

I've met a lot of TCer's who I was worried about (Tipsy comes to mind!) and found them to be not that personna I thought I knew online.

As much as I have tried to resist chiming on this topic, I am finally caving in.

Since I somewhat reluctantly call myself a "tiki snob", it should also be known that in certain situations I have to set my feelings aside and allow acceptance for items like the Walgreens Tiki Fountain.

A few months ago, after a really, really crappy day at work, I came home to find a plastic bag sitting on my front porch. Inside the bag was one of these fountains. I had no idea who left it there. Seeing it only made things seem a little worse. Crappy day and now a crappy, cheap-ass fountain and no one blame for leaving it there. I took the fountain out to the garage, bag and all and stuck in one of my "to go" piles.

A couple of days later, my daughter called me to ask me how I liked the gift she had left me.
Huh, I replied?
Didn't you get the little tiki fountain I got for you?

I stumbled carefully over my words due to the shame I felt for being so judgmental about receiving a gift from some unknown person. Yes, I said. I found it and I wasn't sure who left it for me. I really like it and thanks for thinking about me.

Now granted, I would have never, ever bought this for myself. Not even close to anything I classify as "tiki". But it made me think long and hard; this may not be my impression of what tiki is, but to my daughter, this is her impression of what tiki is to her and who am I to tell her otherwise?

I guess for me, the same thinking should apply here on Tiki Central; I would much rather let others have an impression and interest in some form of tiki, than no impression at all, even if it not the same as mine.

I have learned also that logistics can play a part in one's tastes, if you are not lucky enough to have the bounty of tiki I have in California, you have to make do.

Now this gift came from a daughter that usually thinks most of my interests are stupid or boring, so to have her actually take the time to stop somewhere, look around and find something, drive over and drop it off really made my day.

So, if you like and enjoy the Walgreen's Tiki Fountain, like and enjoy it, no matter what anyone says.

For the rest of us (myself included) hate it, but from a distance!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, insert snob here)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-04-24 13:56 ]

K

I had seen these at our local Walgreens awhile back for $12.99 and thought they were cute, actually in the "appropriate" color scheme, but figured they'd go on sale at some point. They eventually did at 2 for $12.00, so I did buy two. I think they're kinda cute ans 40 years from now someone will think they are "highly collectible"..like napkins from old Chinese restaurants, etc. Not that I have any intention of saving them. I figure they'll get chucked when I'm tired of them.
At any rate, my COMPLAINT, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, is that when the little tea light burns out that it came in, you'll discover that regular tea lights don't FIT IN IT...ugh. It's also TOO quiet. I turned it on yesterday and forgot it was still on until I read this post...LOL.
I understand that this is mass produced 21st century stuff not from the 50s-60s, but I'm not quite sure how a tiki fountain in the appropriate colors with tikis in it isn't considered "tiki." I mean, really.

And, they come in at least 3 different styles to suit everyone's tastes! :wink:

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-24 14:57 ]

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 3:37 PM

On 2008-04-24 13:55, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

A couple of days later, my daughter called me to ask me how I liked the gift she had left me.
Huh, I replied?
Didn't you get the little tiki fountain I got for you?

Now this gift came from a daughter that usually thinks most of my interests are stupid or boring, so to have her actually take the time to stop somewhere, look around and find something, drive over and drop it off really made my day.

I did not read this until today, and having read most of the comments I was staying away from it. But, after reading this post, I feel like I finally have something to add to it.

I have a huge love of tiki, and I find what I like is based on my tastes. Sometimes I feel my taste in tiki is very different and unique from anyone else's.

I do agree with some of what Tipsy has said when it comes to supporting tiki artists, but another point is this, so much of what TC is about is furthering the richness we all feel about tiki culture. How do we do that? I do it by the art I buy, or a hand made mug. But best of all, for me it is through my children. I love when we happen to be anywhere and my kids get all excited and point out a tiki to me. I want them to share my love of tiki. I want them to keep that and when they make it to being adults celebrate and enjoy it as much as I have.
Ask yourselves, what is the value of a cheap little tiki thingie if it can somehow plant a seed in someone old or young and then grow into something more. Is that a bad thing?

Okay! One last tidbit. Just for the record, that was not an angry rant. It was a calm, well thought out dialog. If someone chose to inject an angry tone into it, they were mistaken. You don't know me & you just don't get it. I would never tell that guy what I thought of his car in any way, via any media or on any forum! It's not my car & none of my business. I'm sure he has the same passion when he gets behind the wheel of his car as I do when I climb into mine. Who am I to take shots at that? No one anointed me God of Kustoms! I've learned more on TC from all of the positive posts than anything negative, particularly from some of the people who have posted on this thread. Granite, you are a gem. You get it! Why others feel the need to get cranky about mugs, menus & matchbooks from old Chinese restaurants, is beyond me. Have fun, people. It takes much less energy than anger!
Mahalo!
Rick

T

I always say buy what YOU like.
But when the tiki restaurants/bars first started
everything was so organic.
The places had a very artful homemade hands-on feel.
One of the things I liked about the Kahiki was the
hands-on aproach they took.
I don't think you can find a tiki restaurant that had as many
different tiki items as they did.
Lots of it hand made by the owners wife and other people who
put the Kahiki in.
With that being said, thats what I don't like about the "Party Cityfication"
of tiki.
The mass produced crank em out thing.
Starbucks is the "Starbuckfucifaction" of those nasty coffee shops,
or diners we used to love.
I will say this Walgreens and Starbucks target these places because they
already have foot traffic.
It's not just a coincidence that they are there.
What it is is a business plan, one that if it works kills the coffee shop
or tiki restaurant.
So I think what the hard core tiki folk are saying is that, that fountain
and the party city stuff in a small way are part of the death of tiki again.

I do have some of that stuff too. Gifts, newbie tiki buys.
But none from Walgreens.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-24 20:03 ]

Pages: 1 2 58 replies