Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

The first tiki art swap for 2008! (SWAP DRAWN!)

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 24, 2008 3:14 PM

How ‘bout it? :D I say we make deadline for pieces by the end of February. Everyone who has completed a piece throws up some pics on here, and their name goes into the draw, and names are drawn by an independent third party who isn’t participating in the swap. Original art only, no prints or resin repros. Open to all carvers, painters etc. Whatever medium you like – just keep in mind, we have had people from US, Hawaii, UK, NZ and Australia in the past – so there’s a good chance you’ll be sending it overseas, so don’t make it too large or too heavy!

For a theme I suggest we go with “New Zealand tiki”. That leaves plenty of scope for variety, but keeps it to a key theme. :D

I have been absolutely stoked with both tiki swap pieces I have received so far! I’m just greedy and I want another… :lol:

EDIT: We'll bump the date to end of March

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-01-28 22:52 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-04-03 22:21 ]

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2008 9:53 AM

Woo Hoo! I've really been wanting to do this again, I love the pieces I've received immensely. I like the theme, as with the others it should be challenging for me, but do-able.
Thanks so much for bringing it up! I'll get started this weekend!

Like Mieko I'm looking forward to the next swap.
The theme is good.
The lack of responce could be the short time frame.
How bout March end ?

On 2008-01-24 15:14, hewey wrote:

For a theme I suggest we go with “New Zealand tiki”. That leaves plenty of scope for variety, but keeps it to a key theme. :D

*Nice one Hewey - I was all set to count myself out of this draw until I saw the theme.. (hope no-one minds a pretty 'standard' version from me, but Mrs T and I will be heading away for the best part of two weeks in Feb & I wont have time to attempt anything more elaborate..)

Ill be eagerly awaiting prog shots for this swap round! Get your names down people!

Tama :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 12:16 PM

GROG want to swap art with SHAG!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 1:39 PM

On 2008-01-28 10:41, wplugger wrote:
Like Mieko I'm looking forward to the next swap.
The theme is good.
The lack of responce could be the short time frame.
How bout March end ?

Yeah way too soon for me too, I'm busy for at least the next month!
I think you need to post a thread at least 2 months before a potential deadline - that gives us 1 month to thrash stuff out and get participants on board, and another to get the work made.

what Paipo said!
We need more Notice!
2 months would be tops!

B

I'm IN!

B

If'n you all decide to push till the end of March...I'm in.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 4:40 PM

I'd really like to participate....but I'm very very slow. End of March would be great.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-01-28 20:00 ]

T

I am not sure, if I understood this all right. It is not just stone-carving? And the theme "new zealand tiki" means it has to be a tiki inspired by new zealand art? Are patterns, hooks and spirals etc. included? Or should it really only be a tiki? Please explain this to the dump german.
tok-tok

F

Hi Guys
I'm in, just about see some daylight what with my house move and new workshop build (pics soon). I would prefer end March like most.
Best Regards
Flynny

H

Okay, I've bumped the due date to end of March, due to popular demand :D :D

It is not just stone-carving? And the theme "new zealand tiki" means it has to be a tiki inspired by new zealand art? Are patterns, hooks and spirals etc. included?

"new zealand style" was probably a better description, sorry. Any medium you wish, so long as it sticks to the theme, and you're willing to send it overseas. Previously we've had jade carvings, stone carvings, wood carvings, paintings, lamps etc. :D :D

some pics for inspiration:

sounds good hewey im in this time but not the big ass one the postage would kill it something smaller

I wanna play I will start on a new piece and post a pic soon dawn

J

I'll play this time.

is the deadline for posting the piece stll friday?

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2008 7:08 PM

On 2008-01-29 17:14, Sophista-tiki wrote:
is the deadline for posting the piece stll friday?

If the end of March falls on a Friday, yes! :lol:
No hurry, you've got two whole months....we will do the draw from the completed entries that are posted by then.

I'm in....Hopefully you guys like hand painted pinstriping?? This is gonna be great fun!!!

Whew I thought it was feb 1. No Problem! pleanty of time

B

You and you're killer bunnies...

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 31, 2008 5:35 PM

Babs is one bad dude!

B

I started roughing this fella in tonight...I wanted to try and have a little tattooed - head hunter fun with this little art trade, but I may choose to switch up clays first...I'm finding I'm not to fond of this low fire clay (that I am playing with here) for sculpture.

K

looks great ,a bit Australian looking "kangaroo"though... just my first thought, love it either way

R
Robin posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 5:19 AM

Hi there babalu....this is great, way to jump right in....fierce Maori bunny...of course you know he heeds to be a warrior is he lives in New Zealand. Not so fond of rabbits there. He looks wonderful.

p.s.i didn't like that clay either.

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 9:08 PM

Thanks you guys, but I have made up my mind to bag this one...I really don't like this type of clay all that much. Don't worry, I'm not going to force any rabbit flavored south seas art work on you guys for this little trade...I plan on dishing up something pure New Zealand for you all.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-02-02 21:09 ]

TL

Count Me In, Too! Maori, Maori, Maori....

Hmmmm....

W

Well,
Heres how I'm gettin this party started.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:07 AM

I'm gonna stick with the Maori blade theme...

Sorry you bagged the Maori bunny Babalu....that really made me smile. Something even better coming I'm sure.

awright....i'll play....

W

Look
A few minutes sanding & this guys cleaning up OK.

B

Sweeeet Will!! That a way to jump out of the gate on this project!

Lookin Gooood!!!

as if I don't have enough to do with a Surf Show,a Conspiracy/EndTimes show/and a Tiki Farm parking Lot Sale...
But I'm in....against my better judgement! :lol:

I'm in too!!

W

Just wanted to bump this up be for it fell off the page.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2008 6:27 AM

Nice Shooze. They looks like mine :D

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-02-19 06:28 ]

W

Chi-Ching

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2008 7:24 PM

Looking good plugger! :D I'm moving in a couple of weeks, so everything is rapidly being boxed up! Im still determined to have a quality completed piece in the swap though!

T

Make another one and we'll play Tiki Rockem Sockem Robots ...hahaha .Sorry , it just came to mind . I love it though . Cool design .

B

Word up...I know this swap is a month out, but I just found out this week that I will need to be traveling to hell and back this next month. I may have to pull out? I will try to keep in, but it more than likely will not work? This job of mine is starting to really miss with my life lately...may have to go postal soon.

Ah a month away, man better think of something quick ...

Just spent 1/2 of my weekly studio time and busted out this for the SWAP! It's ink on Arches watercolor paper...around 12x16 with a blackline of sumi ink pin,finepoint sharpie and highlights done with gouache.....
Being a New Zealand theme, i decided to have a little fun with this one....
I named it "High-Tiki/Maori Wrowiee"....

i totally groove on his eyelids at half-mast! :lol:
I'v always thought the curves and the rhythms of NZ art to be very psychedelic and alive...
This was born of that concept....
Only a month kids!
Let's see what you little geniuses have for this SWAP!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
and Trip Out y'all!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-03-01 14:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2008 6:52 PM

Very trippy man, I love it :D

W

I thought I was gona have to save this thread from falling off this page again & it's LLT to the rescue. Great piece. Kenny you are one of my faves on TC.I tune into your thread every day. If I dont win your ink/sharpie thing we may have to work somthing elce out.
Well as you can see I'm done carving & Got stain, & poly up to the neck

Sooo what does Mieko think??

B

WOW LLT and Plugger, Awesome pieces, I want them BOTH, can we DO That??
I better get Busy!
OH Yeah, I Did notice that Pluggers guy is ALREADY on MY Bench, does that mean he's Mine? Darn right---Fork it Over!!! :lolo: :lol: :lol:

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-03-02 07:19 ]

W

Sorry Ben, he just stopped for a visit.

[ Edited by: wplugger 2008-03-02 10:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies