Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

The first tiki art swap for 2008! (SWAP DRAWN!)

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 9:48 AM

On 2008-04-01 09:19, little lost tiki wrote:
You had a looooong time to enter
and now it's time for us to get some GOODIES!
hewey?

Its currently 3:40am 'down under' and Im still working on a job application due later today... as such I havent had time to compile the list of swappers to throw together so we can do the draw. If someone can compile that from the posts in here that would much appreciated.

Paipo (and everyone else who've shown an interest in participating), basically put your piece up or let us know you can't make it so we can finalise 'the list' as soon as possible :D

M
mieko posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 3:03 PM

Ben, Paipo, Ken - Thanks for the Kudos! :) I'm blushing.

I'm so excited about this swap. I've compiled a list of everyone who posted, and put confirmed if they've posted a picture of their finished piece. I'm not sure if some were jokes (Grog - you in? :) )

I can update the list as people post pictures or if they bow out.

hewey
mieko - confirmed
wplugger - confirmed
Tamapoutini - confirmed
GROG
little lost tiki - confirmed
Benzart - confirmed
Babalu - confirmed
Robin - confirmed
flynny - confirmed
kroozzn62
Sophista-tiki - confirmed
JohnnyP
Meheadhunter
Tiki Lee's - confirmed
Tipsy McStagger
AlohaStation - confirmed
Skinny Dog - confirmed

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2008-04-02 08:26 ]

SD

Here ya go

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 7:30 PM

Wow!

Phew, Im glad Im not the last to finish; been afraid to look..heehee

Damn, how do you follow a piece like that SkinnyDog?? Glad Im not going next.. (doh!)

Awesome stuff everyone - big ups Mieko, Sophista-tiki and WPlugger!! I know Ill be happy with anything shown thus far; bring on the draw..

--

--

*My entry is a little smaller than in previous swaps, but I think I should be allowed a little lenience due to the high 'authenticity-level' of materials, place-of-origins and artists geneology.. :lol: :wink:

"Hei-tiki Haka" 2008. NZ Pounamu/greenstone/nephrite jade. 1 3/4 x 7/8 x 1/4 inches (45 x 24 x 7mm) approx

Draw.. draw.. draw..

Tama :)

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-04-01 19:58 ]

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!
Tama comes thru!
iwantitiwantit!
and that skinny Dog piece is a SHOE-IN!
Saw some of their work at the Chop and ...WOWZA!
GROG is lazy-he won't have a submission!

B

Damn, Damn, DammiTT, Skinney Dog, Awesome piece I WANT it, Gimmee gimmee gimmee

Just Too much great stuff here, TAMA, I'll have to put yours on top, Gotta have it, but then Sherry requests LLT's deal and I tried to explain to her it doesn't work that way. She said I Better come home with it or not to come home. Anyone looking for a live in Carver? :lol: :lol:
Now I won't sleep at All waiting for the results of the draw. :(

F

Hi Guys
Wow. Skinny Dog, Tama, exceptional pieces superb
Regards
FLynny

T

I am so sorry to see my name on the list. I could not make it because of too many other projects at the same time. Also I have less till no experiences in doing the New Zealand -style. Have to exercise this badly.
I am not in this time, or otherwise I would be pretty ashamed to send something halfhearted.
I will be in for the next swap. Promised.
Voodoo/zombie would be a good topic for the next one in reference to this years tiki oasis.

Mahalos, tok-tok

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 3:25 AM

AIIIEEE...I'm gonna give this a miss I think. I still haven't got the old piece back and was going to try and finish something new instead, but it's just not happening for me this time. I have a ton of other stuff I need to deal with, and I don't want to hold the rest of you up any longer!
Sorry guys...I'll make it up next time :(

I'm gonna take a pass on this one as well. I'll get in on the next. Good Luck everyone!! Hope U all get what U want~

Hey Paipo and Freddie!
April Fools was Yesterday!
:(
Oh Well.....
slackers....

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 4:05 PM

Well I’m going to pull out too. My piece was last minute and half assed, and Im not happy with it. Kroozn isn’t in either. So given that I’m not participating I’ll do the swap drawing. So the updated list is:

[EDIT: List updated]

Confirmed:
Mieko
wplugger
Tamapoutini
little lost tiki
Benzart
Babalu
Robin
Flynny
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Lee's
AlohaStation
Skinny Dog

Once I have an answer from the unconfirmed guys I’ll do the draw!

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-04-03 16:34 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-04-03 16:38 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-04-03 22:17 ]

SD

So when is the next one ??

Is 3 months long enough notice or 4 better ??

B

I think I'll enter the next one 3 or 4 times if the pieces are as Great as these. I absolutely could NOT choose Just one of these works of art.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 10:19 PM

Wooooo! The time has come to announce the draw! :D :D :D :D As a number of people have commented, the pieces prepared for this swap are awesome, and I'd be happy to have taken any of them! A big thanks to all of the participating artists who go their pieces completed and in the swap - you will soon be rewarded for your efforts with an awesome piece of art from another TCer! :D For the rest of you slack bums (like myself), well you can see all the fine art you are NOT getting, so make sure you get your s*** together for next time! :wink: :lol: :D

So without further ado, here the is the official TC maori theme art swap list, drawn by myself from pieces of torn up notepad, undertaken in secret on a Friday afternoon at my office cubicle at work! :lol: You will be doing a direct swap with the artist you have been drawn with. PM each other for mailing addresses for your pieces.

The pairs are as follows:
Benzart & Tamapoutini
Mieko & Little Lost Tiki
AlohaStation & Babalu
Robin & Wplugger
Tiki Lees & Sophista-tiki
Flynny & Skinny Dog

I encourage everyone to take pieces of their new art in their homes when you receive them - Its great for the creator to see it in its new home! :D

Soooo, get swapping people!

And we start looking at the next swap - What are your comments on:
1 - Time frame?
2 - Theme?
3 - Multiple entries from individual swappers?

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-04-03 22:19 ]

F

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
How chuffed am I yet again. With a name like Flynn, it must be the luck of the Irish.
Well done all
Regards
Flynny

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 12:03 AM

Nice one! I can see there will be few happy people checking out this thread (except me! :lol: )

Some thoughts...

• 1 entry per person
  • Newly created works only (ie must be started and finished in the allowed month)
  • At least 3 months between swaps, 6 monthly may be better
  • Post a thread in both creating forums - I know crossposting is against the rules, but I think there are a quite a few creators who may not read the carving forum?

Anyway, I did get my old piece back, but I'm glad I didn't put it in (although it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting). I think a lot of the fun of this is the effort people put into to their pieces, especially when they see what the early birds are posting. I also think one entry per person keeps it fair - it would be too easy for someone to weight the draw in their favour, and multiple entries would dilute the quality.

I'll be up for another one in a couple/few months anyway, and if we're pitching themes I'll suggest vintage poly-pop menu covers. Plenty of scope style-wise and tons of good source material here and here.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-04-04 00:05 ]

YEEEEAAAAA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA MY MOJOING WORKED. its only 2 am and its already a great day Im getting a cool carving and I got invited for $3.00 mai tais at Trader Vics.
This was my first time participating in the swap and I really enjoyed having a theme and a time frame. I procrastinated clear up to the end, but that was part of the fun. I also think posting in creating tiki would be nice ( a good combination of carvings and paintings) I cant wait for the next one.
Dawn

B

HAPPPEEE HAPPY HAPPY. How could have I drawn a better swap? By receiving ANY of the other pieces. I am EXCITED to get Tamma's piece but disappointed I did not get ALL the rest too!
Thanks Hewey!

On 2008-04-04 02:21, Benzart wrote:
HAPPPEEE HAPPY HAPPY. How could have I drawn a better swap?
Thanks Hewey!

**Ditto - Thanks Hewey! Who would be disappointed to add an (another!) original BenZart to their collection!? The honour is all mine Ben. Ka pai!

:) :) :)
Tama

W

I got the perfect thing, I need strength & courage , often.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 6:50 AM

Ohhhhhhh - happy, happy, happy. Aloha is one of my hands down FAVORITE carvers!! Geeez, I really don't know which to pick from these two he offered up? They are both great! Aloha, which ever one of these two that you did is your favorite...that's the one I want :-) Let's PM....

Also, I really like Paipo's idea for subject matter on the next trade.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 7:11 AM

SWEEEET! I'm soooo excited to get Ken's piece! This was an incredible draw everyone!

As far as the next one:
Every other month would be great. I'd rather have them more often and not join than want to do one and not have one available. :)
I like Paipo's idea about new art, since one of the original reasons to do the swap was to encourage artists to try new themes, I think it makes sense.
Themes: I like location inspired stuff, Cook Islands, Hawaiian, Cook Islands, Marquesas, Papua New Guinea (as I take a quick look though my Oceanic Art book). It's easy for me to find inspiration. :)

I'm also wondering if people might be interested in on the side swaps. Maybe if I make something cool, I could get AlohaStation's extra piece from this swap. :)

R
Robin posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 7:53 AM

Yahoo!!!! What a great trade...I love my guy! Thanks Will....he's my first wooden tiki, and he's a Maori....I couldn't be happier.

SD

That was totally great. I am so happy with our Flynny piece.

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When do we start the next one?

Wow!
Dawn's mojo DID work! We need her out here in Vegas at a few tables....

My wife actually picked Dawn's art as the one SHE wanted to win in the draw, so I guess it's fate! Either that, or a two-witch Tiki-version of "Charmed"!

Anyway, that was the best swap yet and I'll be looking forward to the next as always. THe menu cover theme is brilliant! So many styles and so many "models" to choose from. It'll be loads of fun. I'm gonna start researching right now!

Thanks For Another Great Swap Ohana!

YAY!
i got Mieko's double face pendant! How much fun was that?
I'm up for an ARTSWAP once a week! ZIPFIZZ!
thanks hewey for gettin the ball rolling and offering a challenging concept to play with!
And thanks all of y'all who participated and created a BUNCH of high-caliber work!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

On 2008-04-05 12:31, little lost tiki wrote:

I'm up for an ARTSWAP once a week! ZIPFIZZ!

*Man, Ive either got to get a big bottle of that ZIPFIZZ - or else have LLT come and work for me.. :lol:

Great fun - lets do it again. So we've had 'nautical', 'E.Island' & 'Maori': whats next..?

T :)

The Vintage menu cover theme gets my vote. Mimi's website has tons of great refrence Arkiva Tropika

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 7:15 PM

On 2008-04-05 13:30, Sophista-tiki wrote:
The Vintage menu cover theme gets my vote. Mimi's website has tons of great refrence Arkiva Tropika

Yep - lots of interest in this theme, so we'll run with it :D

B

I'm soooo jazzed!! I got my trade art in from Aloha right before I left on this trip...

Thanks so much Aloha! I think I got the better end of this trade. I was really surprised to see a extra little carved pendant included....you rock man!

Hood ornament? No...maybe a tapper for the bar I'm building.

B

WOW, I received Tama's Swap piece today and it's PERFECT Tama, the sizwe is Perfect and I hope everyone loves their swap Half as much as I love this one. Thank You Thank You Thank You
:) :) :)

M

little lost tiki and I met up at the Tiki Farm parking lot sale on Saturday and swapped pieces.

I'm sooo excited to have one of Ken's pieces! So excited I had to get another one at the end of the day. :)
Thanks again for organizing the swap!!

F

My Skinny Dog piece arrived this morning, absolutely stunning. Cheers everyone, will enclose a pic soon.
Regards
Flynny

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies