Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Apartment Bar...New shell lamp

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies

I made a new lamp/sconce for my ceiling out of a little hat I found at the LB flea market a few weeks back. I'm running out of space...

And heres the ETR bird all finished up in it's new home.

And as a sidenote, I found this last night on craigslist and couldn't pass up...even though it's my fourth peacock chair. I posted on another thread that I have a smaller peacock chair that I'll give to anyone who wants to come pick it up. PM me if you're interested.

The attention to detail is amazing!!!! I love the disney parrots!

Amy

Well I've re-arranged just about every small piece in my collection, and I genuinely don't have any more space for mugs anymore. I think I'm going to build a hanging shelf (or 2) along the back wall of the bar. This should turn out interesting.

I was bored this weekend, and got a damaged candle display box type thing from my work. I lit it up and turned it into a curiosity case for my shrunken head (coincidentally NatGeo had the documentary on head shrinkers this weekend also!) As usual, pictures don't really capture the effect, but you get the point.

I have also been tying lots of fish floats lately. Here's a few shots..

Beautifully netted balls! :D I've done a few myself and it's hard to get them evenly spaced - great job!

Loving the nets, and that Shrunken head case is amazing. What sort of candle display box was it. I'd like to try and replicate it.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. The candle holder was about as basic a construction as you could get...and kind of faulty. I was originally going to make a hanging case w/some swag chain, but I don't think the lid would hold the weight of the box. It would probably easy to make a cheap pine or cedar frame, slide in the glass pieces, and then cover with bamboo and thatch. You could definitely make it stronger than mine, because I had to rig the hatched lid to make it close and hold.

Had some free time/ money laying around, so I got on some projects that I've been thinking about lately.
First, I made this Baining fire dance mask that I had seen on Fugu's thread a while back.

After finishing the mask, I got to tying some new line for a float lamp.

I found a big fishbowl for a deal, and have been wanting to replicate the old "puffer in a float" lamp for a while now. It's not exact, but with the right lighting, it works. I scuffed up the bowl with some 150 grit sandpaper, to give it more of an aged float look, and used 8- 15 foot sections of line to tie the float. It was a pretty easy lamp, it just takes a little time to tie the netting.

Also, this past weekend I made a trip up to OA, (it's been too long) and I found some of the ceramic hanging tiles that have eluded me for so long. I'm planning on making a 4 tile divider at the left side of the entrance to my bar. It'll be 4 inch support bamboo, with smaller cross posts and maybe a burned wood frame to hang the tiles in. I have always loved the dividers in all the old bars, and when Don's had their entrance re-done by BambooBen, it really gave me the creative spark I needed. Wish me luck.

Beautiful bar/tiki room. I'm amazed you're able to pull this off in your apartment. Does your landlord give you any grief?

You, sir, are a madman! Killer work as usual!

yes! that puffer float is awe inspiring!
The rest is knockin me out as well!

T

Great work!!
Your net tying is great!

Thanks to all for the kind words! I always hope that some of these basic projects will show people that it's not too hard to create on your own.

Slacks-It's hard for a landlord to complain when they're bound and gagged in your closet! No I'm just joking, my landlord is very lax on the renovation rules in my place (I just finished a nautical themed bathroom too, with wood paneling and all.) I told him I'd patch and paint everything when I go, but I guess he'll see the real damage when I take everything down!

Tikiskip- Thanks for the compliment; it means a lot coming from the guy who makes some of the coolest lamps around. Seeing your work always blows me away! Some day, I hope to own one of your creations.

Well, I've got to get to cutting bamboo for my tile wall divider. As always, comments and suggestions are much appreciated!

Hey Kahala finally found this thread you were talking about.Nice work and time you
have taken to create your own little paradise.

I finished my new bamboo tile partition this weekend. I had it up Saturday night by about midnight, but ran out of rope to finish tying the tiles. I went throught about 220 feet of manila just to get these tiles secured. I routed the top and bottom pieces with some scrap redwood that was laying around. They've got a Witco kind of look, and they seem to do pretty well at keeping the bamboo frame secure.

M

Love It!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 10:19 AM

party at Kahala's this week!!

Gorgeous!!

GROG like.

superb and otherworldly!
PERFECT!

L

love it!

do you live in a rental? is it easily removable?

Dude! You're killin' me. That is awesome! Do they have more of those tiles &, if I may be so bold, how much $ ? I've got OA's catalog & they're not in it.

Thanks to all for the kind words. Maybe once all of this rain stops, I'll have some kind of get together. I'm just glad that my place is upstairs, with all the flooding that's been going on.

Leleliz-My "apartment" is actually a condo, ergo, I don't have to deal with a leasing-office type of landlord. My place is owned by my roommate's parents, so they let me do a lot with it in the way of construction. There's obviously a ton of small holes, and a handful of drywall anchors, but nothing has been changed drastically enough to have any huge problems when it all comes down...well I hope at least.

Big Kahuna- There were still a handful of those tiles at OA. They're in a dusty old box under one of the racks, and I'm sure if you call and ask Bob, he could send them out to you. They weren't cheap at $36 a piece, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere else. The one problem with the tiles, is that the mold used was at various stages of deterioration when the tiles were made. Some have a little bit of inlayed detail (like mine), and some have none whatsoever (they're the same color/shape/design though.) I took most of the nicer ones, but there were maybe 3 left with the same details. If you do end up getting the tiles, I'd ask them to try and match the similar tiles together. Good luck!

Wow, love the tiles and the lighting. Amazing job.

Nothing new to post per se, and I don't want to be redundant with the bar pics, but one of my friends wanted to take practice taking pictures of my bar to test odd lighting conditions. Some of them turned out pretty cool.

Now back to whatever you were doing...

Craig, I've been lurking in your thread for a while now, especially since we just moved back into an apartment last December. It makes me realize that "oh, well it's a rented apartment" is no excuse for not turning it into something totally kick-ass. Good work dude, sorry I didn't get to meet you at Don's this past Monday..I didn't know until afterwards you were there, next time! Later dude.

Wow this really has come together great! nice job.

Impressive! The lighting is very nice!

Bitchin'!

Nice work!! Filing this away for future projects.

Absolutely awesome! Great depth, detail, color, and texture. Nice to see the ceiling done and quite well. Looks like party time!

Unbelievable vibe in a small space!

Kahala,this is what it's all about,fantastic work,well done!

First off...I love the new "Home Tiki Bars" section. It's so cool to be able to see everyone's works side by side.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the compliments. As always, the bar's a work in progress. I've had a few small projects in the works as of late, and I got a few crappy shots of a lamp that I built (to give myself a break from all of the puffer lamps I've been building!)

Signing off...

That lamp is gorrrrrrrgeeeeeous. :)

F
Fugu posted on Sat, Mar 6, 2010 1:00 PM

Agreed. That lamp is great! Nice work.

It all looks spectacular...wonderful furniture and you do a really nice job with all the lighting...thanks for posting the pictures, they are inspiring.

Oh. My. God. As an apt dweller I've always resigned myself to accepting the 4 white walls and the beige carpet that came with the place. I had no idea that something this swanky and cool could get accomplished without major renovation/construction. All I can say is 'Bravo!" you've inspired me...

T
TikiB posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 8:24 AM

I manage 240 apartments, I would be so excited if maintenance told me what you had done to the apartment. Everything looks great! you are a man of many talents.

So much detail, so cool, so jealous......very impressive.

A couple small updates. Haven't been doing much w/ the bar lately, but I'm helping a couple of friends build a tiki bar in the back room of their barber shop. I'll try to get them to join, or I'll make a new thread because their bar is going to be epic!

A lamp I made out of an old bottle. It's got a cool red glow, and kind of reminds me of the swamp in the beginning of the Pirates of the Carribean.

Turtle shell I posted in Tiki finds, in situ(currently). It was originally acquired prior to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species down in Mexico. The shell was dredged off of the bottom by shrimp fishermen, and you can tell because of all of the barnacles on the backside of the carapace.

nice work with limited space. I do apartment living and have found it forces you to think outside the box. Thanks for sharing-the lamp came out nice.

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies