Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

***Tonga Hut art show *** February 23, 2008***

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 1:39 AM

Good art, good drinks, and good times.

And we're hoping to get DJ Devil One to serve up the tunes.

This year is the Tonga Hut's 50th anniversary in October.
So come by and help support one of the oldest surviving Tiki bars
in Los Angeles.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-02-01 12:06 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 12:20 PM

Links to artist's websites and TC threads of their artwork.

Doug Horne http://swampfirelounge.com

Stacey Morris http://www.happychijewelry.com
To see some of Stacey Morris' collaberation with Doug, click on B pendants while you're on
Doug's website.

Tom "Thor's" Thordarson http://www.thorstor.com
http://www.tomthordarson.com/

Danny Gallardo http://www.tikidiablo.com

David "Bowana" Lea http://members.aol.com/kelea98/dave/
The artist formely known as Tikidav http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22368&forum=7

Go-Tiki http://GoTiki.net
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24254&forum=18&start=0&hilite=gotiki

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-02-04 00:14 ]

I am in town this time, jawohl!

Grog.
you have the Uncanny knack of planning these when there is surf shows going on.

that day is a big 9 band show in LB,
and then 2 bands at a tiki bar.

I wont post details, as to not steal people from your show.
but please PM me next time, before you plan these.

I hate to miss it,
but hey Reverb calls.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

I'll be there of course.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 12:38 PM

There's ALWAYS some surf band playing SOMEWHERE, Big Tiki Dude. So, it doesn't matter WHEN I schedule the art show.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 12:41 PM

Hiltiki's in. YAY!!!

Are you going to show up in a limosine again like you did at the last show?

Thats not True, Grog.
Surf is a very small music Genre, and in Winter many of the bands hibernate.
I will go weeks during the winter sometimes without a show.
you just happened to pick a bad night.
whatever I know you hate surf, so I'll stop bringing it up, and I wont send you e-mails for shows anymore, cause you've never gone to the Purple Orchid for a show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. have a great art show.

On 2008-02-02 12:38, GROG wrote:
There's ALWAYS some surf band playing SOMEWHERE, Big Tiki Dude. So, it doesn't matter WHEN I schedule the art show.

GT

I love the Surf Bands, Went to the Golden Bear many of times and even Surf beat 80' " Just Dated Myself " All aside on with the show!

Any TC members that attend the show, Gets a "Free" Hand made, Hand glazed, "Go Tiki" Pendant, Your choice of various colors:

Just print out this simple flyer and bring it to the show, My way of saying Thank You, To all TC members, Mahalo! Gogo

FLYER: http://members.aol.com/tikiagogo/TCX.gif

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2008-02-02 19:28 ]

On 2008-02-02 19:23, GO TIKI wrote:
Any TC members that attend the show, Gets a "Free" Hand made, Hand glazed, "Go Tiki" Pendant, Your choice of various colors:

Just print out this simple flyer and bring it to the show, My way of saying Thank You, To all TC members, Mahalo! Gogo

FLYER: http://members.aol.com/tikiagogo/TCX.gif

Wow! That's very cool of you GoGo!!! Those are very cool pendants. We can't wait to see what bitchen mugs you'll bring for sale that night! WooHoo and I are there for you!

2nd that Soccer - That is some good karma there!!

Go - I have admired your mugs on ebay for sometime and they are awesome. I can hardly wait to see them in person - and buy some! Then we get a sweet Go Tiki pendant to boot - see ya at the Tonga Hut.

p.s. Please bring some of your funky monkey shot glasses - I would love to get a set!

michael g

GT

On 2008-02-03 01:52, smgleason47 wrote:
2nd that Soccer - That is some good karma there!!

Go - I have admired your mugs on ebay for sometime and they are awesome. I can hardly wait to see them in person - and buy some! Then we get a sweet Go Tiki pendant to boot - see ya at the Tonga Hut.

p.s. Please bring some of your funky monkey shot glasses - I would love to get a set!

michael g

Thanks Michael, Will Do, I'll set aside a set for you, Thanks SoccerTiki and WooHooWahine

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 2:08 PM

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 2:10 PM

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 2:49 PM

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 2:49 PM

SF

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 12:08 AM

Tiki Diablo looks on as Doug Horne and Thor fight over who should get top billing. Stacey, Bowana David, and Go-tiki were smart enough to stay out of it.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-02-04 00:22 ]

Dude has Doug been Working out? I didn't know he knew Thor. Is Thor from Marvel the same as the Tiki artist Thor? I'm going to bust a move and try to make that hum-dinger!!!!!!!!DIG?

Doug doesn't look as ripped in this picture,maybe he's off his cycle!!!!!!Royed in Art,what next Baseball?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 3:09 AM

On 2008-02-04 02:36, Wildsville man wrote:
Dude has Doug been Working out?

GROG guess you never saw the picture of Doug That Little Lost Tiki posted in a previous Tonga Hut Art show thread. This was when Doug was training for bulk. Now he has slimmed down and is training to keep ripped.

last time i saw forearms like that was a salor I knew back-in-the-day!!!!!!!he used to eat green beans or something!!!!!!! DIG?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 12:17 PM

Thanks for the photo without the sunglasses. Now we'll all be able to recognize you, Wildsville.

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 2:00 PM

Good one

O

We tried to warn you about the B rum Wildman.

:lol: dis poormans loathing act? dis just... ack

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 2:49 AM

Thanks guys for bumping this thread to #1 on the COOL AND CURRENT list.

On 2008-02-04 12:17, GROG wrote:
Thanks for the photo without the sunglasses. Now we'll all be able to recognize you, Wildsville.

I dig. :)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow....
this thread is just getting worser and worser....

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-02-07 11:18 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 11:23 AM

Especially now since LLT joined the thread.

"Hey, who let the riff-raff in?"

On 2008-02-07 11:23, GROG wrote:
Especially now since LLT joined the thread.
"Hey, who let the riff-raff in?"

your momma did! :lol:

"Someone called...?"

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-02-11 19:58 ]

I'll be there.

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 6:44 PM

You cats watch out for this Bowana dude...he is one party animal!!
Hugh Heffner is nothing but a snot nosed cub scout next to this rocker!

Guys, hide your wifes...

Single ladies, I hear tell Sir Bowana knows how to really treat a woman like a woman should be treated...that is if'n your into that jungle love stuff...so mark your calenders tonight gals. Can you hear the drums? Bowana is in da house!

T

On 2008-02-07 18:44, Babalu wrote:
Bowana is in da house!

Oh. My. God. :lol:

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 7:13 PM

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 8:46 PM

Ah nuts! My secret is out.....yes, I wear Power Ranger jammies!

Oh Betty, turn your head! :o

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 9:48 PM

Is that a light saber in your hand, or are you just happy to see Betty?

Using a light saber, huh? Is that the secret to such nicely detailed, clean carvings you do?

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 7:29 PM

Yep, happy to see Betty! Also happy to be in the Tonga Hut Show again. (but don't be expecting me to show up in my Power Ranger PJs)

:)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 8:10 PM

Howabout for a dollar?

B

On 2008-02-08 20:10, GROG wrote:
Howabout for a dollar?

Hmm...GROG make generous offer, but 1 buck just not enough!

B

B

You are hard to resist Betty, but I know your type all too well. You throw a buck at some poor slob to get him to dress up all fancy-like for you ( in this case it's Power Ranger PJs), you have your fun with him, break his heart, then drop him like a ton O' bricks. Well Missy, I'm afraid it's just not that simple this time. You are going to have make an appearance at the Tonga Hut Art Show on Feb 23 to prove your love. HMF!

...and please wear that leopard outfit. Thanks. :)

Hey kids!

Looking forward to this great show!

WOW, GROG must have some incriminating pictures or something to wrangle such an All-Star line-up! :wink:

Then again, a caveman with a club on your doorstep is probably pretty convincing too.

Any word on the DJ that will be providing the ear candy for the evening?

well, I gotta get back to makin' some money so I can buy some goodies at the show!

See you all there!

-Atomikitty

I plan on being completly SOBER of course . . . just like my bartending retirement night. . . remember?. . .me either. GOOD TIMES. :drink:

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2008-02-11 01:02 ]

O

On 2008-02-09 23:39, Bowana wrote:
You are hard to resist Betty, but I know your type all too well. You throw a buck at some poor slob to get him to dress up all fancy-like for you ( in this case it's Power Ranger PJs), you have your fun with him, break his heart, then drop him like a ton O' bricks. Well Missy, I'm afraid it's just not that simple this time. You are going to have make an appearance at the Tonga Hut Art Show on Feb 23 to prove your love. HMF!

...and please wear that leopard outfit. Thanks. :)

Hey that gave me this idea! I will be there for still pictures but wouldn't videocasting be cool? How about a leopard outfit contest? (except Grog) I can webcast it if there is broadband at the Tonga Hut.
TCers around the globe in real time, voting, watching, hopefully learning.
(OK, not learning really, more like "Grocking" from Stranger in a Strange land.
We can have a TCathon, raise funds for Haole`akamai & Doc Shocker from Cult of the Eye for the 24 Hour Dancethon for cancer which is three short weeks away.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27180&forum=15&10

Great ideas, but I know for a fact the Tonga Hut does not have Broadband. . . Just Art. . . and Music. . . and Booze. . . and an old Tiki or two. . .and a Fountain. . .

Isn't that enough for you people!!!! :wink:

Seriously Ojitimo, I know your heart is in the right place and I appreciate your enthusiasm!
Personally, technology just gives me the willies. I do not understand it's VooDoo.
I know the wonderful folks at Yo Yo's Island have been itching to do a techie-tiki event . . . you guys should team up and wow us all with your interwebby cybertiki genius!

Let's run a T1 line in and the Island will rise! And then sink... But it will rise again! And then..., well, that happens every day, really.

Mahalo for the shout-out, AtomKitty. Maybe someday...

Looking for some high brow art? This may be the piece for you.
I call it "Grog on Velvet"
See it live and in person at the Tonga Hut Feb. 23rd.

On 2008-02-12 00:47, atomikitty wrote:
Great ideas, but I know for a fact the Tonga Hut does not have Broadband. . . Just Art. . . and Music. . . and Booze. . . and an old Tiki or two. . .and a Fountain. . .

Isn't that enough for you people!!!! :wink:

Seriously Ojitimo, I know your heart is in the right place and I appreciate your enthusiasm!
Personally, technology just gives me the willies. I do not understand it's VooDoo.
I know the wonderful folks at Yo Yo's Island have been itching to do a techie-tiki event . . . you guys should team up and wow us all with your interwebby cybertiki genius!

Great idea Atom Kitty!
Don’t worry about the Voodoo tech stuff. Just do that Voodoo that you do so well!
We can handle the tech stuff and get internet in there. Son of Kelbo and I will bring a side dish if you make the drinks.

SOK
I can work with you but not that jerk with the cigar.

On 2007-12-01 21:10, Ojaitimo wrote:
Shelly's looking good SOK but tell the guy in the other thread to keep his paws off. She is already taken.

On 2007-12-01 21:48, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Careful, Timo, or your spifflicated indescretion could wind up on the 'net...

'Sides, I'm pretty sure "The Proprietor" takes a dim view of randy-handed land-lubbers sequestering the local talent --

And then there's the matter of your bar bill...

By the size of him, I fiqure we could make enough dip for at least 100.
I say we take up a advance collection for a wireless access at the Tonga Hut.
T-1, cable, DSL, any of them would do. redeemable for say a Voodoo Priestess and a bowl of Smoked Clam Dip.

Smoked Clam Dip
Ingredients:
8 oz can Smoked Clams, drained and chopped
8 oz pkg Cream Cheese, softened
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
dash Tabasco Sauce
1/2 cup Olives, chopped

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-02-12 12:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies