Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ask Wildsville Man!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

O

Ok, here is a harder one Wildman. What do Admiral Yamamoto and Jimmy Buffet have in common?

They both like to rape and pillage small asian towns!!!!!!!!!!!!DIG?

Is that correct?

O

Good guess,Yes they did their best to destroy Tiki. Yamamoto in the Pacific and Jimmy everywhere else.
(This is why there are over one thousand tiki bars in Florida but only a few Tiki bars in Florida. Dig?
But what else did they both have in common?
Being shot down in their planes.
In April , 1943, Yamamoto was touring the Solomon Islands in his transport plane and was shot down by American P-38's.

In January, 1996 Jimmy Buffet was touring Jamaica when his airplane "Hemisphere Dancer" was shot down by Jamaican police who believed the craft to be smuggling marijuana. The plane sustained damage and was able to land. Buffet survived while Yamamoto didn't. Lucky for us because Bono was on the plane at the time.

Re edited after Tiki Caliente when it was determined by the panel assembled that the plane was not actually shot down, only fired upon and damaged by police while still on the tarmac.

The Yamamoto event inspired a painting of the shoot down with a cryptic message. Read from bottom right "The death of Yamamoto, the birth of Toyota"

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-05-19 08:13 ]

I did't remember reading Jimmy Buffett being shot down. I do remember reading that there was warning shots
fired over the plain as it sat in the bay and being surrounded by local militart police.I did also read
that bono was on the plain. You know Jimmy Buffett is Bono's favorite charity case.

I will go with your story for now but I will be pulling out my Jimmy Buffett signed books to find the fax's!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!

THE WEATHER IS HERE I WISH YOU WERE BUITIFUL!!!!!!!

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

O

Ok, maybe they were on the ground but there is still the matter of Jimmy being a destroyer of Tiki. (IMHO) Well, maybe not humble but my opinion. Invite your friend Wild Man and we'll have a group intervention.
In January of 1996 his Grumman HU-16 airplane nicknamed "Hemisphere Dancer" was shot at by Jamaican police who believed the craft to be smuggling marijuana. The aircraft sustained minimal damage. On board the plane with Buffett were U2s Bono, and Island Records producer Chris Blackwell.

The Jamaican government acknowledged the mistake and apologized to Buffett who penned the song "Jamaica Mistaica" for his Banana Wind album based on the experience.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-02-09 10:07 ]

an intervention is in order for me right about now. I will be at hawaiinbills at noon today if you want to have it thier? Let me know and I will buy the first round. You can't start in intervention without
having your head-screwed-on-right.DIG?

I always ask myself..."what would Jab do?"

What would Jab do with a large wooden club in Palm Springs?

On 2008-02-10 14:55, Matt Reese wrote:
What would Jab do with a large wooden club in Palm Springs?

Great question Matt,
Jab...(a.k.a. jabba the hut)
would use it to hit a pig on the head so we can eat it at the Luau at hawaiian bills on May 9th!!!!
If you don't believe me come see................

Get your tickets at http://www.tiki-caliente.com/ they are selling fast!!!!!!!DOG?

O

OK Daddio, new week, new questions. If you and your buddy don't want to address hard questions thats OK. Here are some easy ones for both of you.

1. What is the name of the original lounge that was downstairs at the Caliente Tropic?

2. What is a Carrot Head?

3. Where do the buffalo roam?

Great questions but I will need to be quick because I gotta leave for my cocktail sling'in gig in 5!!!!

1.Cellar cocktails at Congo's steak house

2.need more time on this one,thanks!!!!!

1. If you are in California I would say Catalina Island!!!!!!!! 60 percent of the Island was given to California from the Wrigley family because of a tax right off. But California can not build on it and must leave it in its natural form......there is Buffalo's all over the place..

P.S. The chicago cubs usues to have spring trainning on the island also!!!!!!!!!

I will be back for number 2!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?
Now get your room at caliente tropics!!!!!!!!!!!they are going fast

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-02-11 15:35 ]

O

You know that a true Parrot Head would have known the answer to the Carrot Head question but I'll wait. Here are a couple more.

1. The Caliente Tropic site says that Nancy Sinatra " Lived there for awhile" Did you guys used to have room service?

2. What did you give this guy to drink? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSSX8cWKvY

From the Tropic’s site
Property Amenities

More photos
This Polynesian-style motor hotel is two miles from downtown Palm Springs and three miles from Palm Springs International Airport.
A large outdoor pool is paired with a spa tub. La Casita Mexican Restaurant serves lunch and dinner. Spa treatments at the Tropics Retreat include the Cucumber Ice Facial, Brown Sugar Scrub & Tan, Couples Massage, and Lomi Lomi Polynesian massage.
Complimentary wireless Internet access is available in the lobby.
End quote

Thanks Wildsville, that’s it “The Cellar”
How about digging up some photos of this place where the Rat Pack hung out at and lets see what it looks like now.
I see you have wireless access, perhaps we can make your intervention a webcast so any TCers around the globe can participate in the intervention real time.

4 a. I read when Nancy lived there, Elvis and Nancy would frolic in the pool together.
4 c. Was this prior to or after Speedway?
4 d. Was there a fight over who got to give her the Brown Sugar Scrub or did Elvis do it?
( “Brown Sugar Scrub” Good drink idea Daddio!)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-02-22 12:51 ]

My Dig for the Cellar will only lead to the doorway between Hawaiin Bills and the Mexican resterant.
It is now a supply closet. This town is build on history. True or false history.....History shows the
Cellar was thier. History indicates that the Rat Pack were their,also Rory Cahlune and Rock Hudson.
But one person said they filled it with dirt and another say's concrete. I will try to find some photo's.
I have a connection at the Desert Sun,and maybe he could go through the arcives.

Speaking of history in Palm Springs.....If you go to the front desk at caliente tropics the flyer still mentions tiki oasis and how you could get Caliente Tropics products at Tiki Farm!!!!!!!When did that stop 2002-2003?

Catch ya on the flip-side!!!!!!I gotta beat it!!!!!!!!! DIG?

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-02-12 16:46 ]

Palm Springs - My Way

E-mail Print

Most Popular

November 2004
Related LinksSearch Our Travel Archives
Additional California Courses

Following Sinatra's footsteps in the California desert

In search of post-round Rat Pack sustenance, I repaired to the Caliente Tropics Resort, a tiki-inspired hotel at the foot of the mountains bordering downtown Palm Springs. Frank and the boys frequented its Cellar Bar. I found The Reef bar, but Joel Cutler, the hotel's director of sales, told me the Cellar Bar had gone under. "A previous owner filled it with concrete," Cutler said, later joking that if I wanted to unearth any Rat Pack secrets, I should "come back with a jackhammer."

just some stuff I found

H

WM, what happened to the Racquet Club, and the Bamboo Bar. Is it still there? I was there a few years ago and they were thinking of changing the place around?

Great question!!!!

From what I have seen and read in the Desert Sun paper was that the building was purchased and ready to revamp,but put on hold for financial and legal reasons. First,when the market changed in southern California a lot of the developers backed out or put the projects on hold....They are on hold
Second...a lot of the cottages were sold as homes in the 80's so the problem became making it so the people who lived in the cottages didn't have free rain of the grounds and who would maintain those grounds. I believe they are planning to start up construction again at the end of this year!!!!!!!!!

From what I hear...the Bamboo bar is still all in one piece!!!
I bartended a private party at a cottage there (Tab Hunter's,old actor)and you could see the Club was still in pretty good shape

O

Still need the answers for these Wildsville,

1. What is a Carrot Head?
    Wildsville Man 2 B ..need more time on this one,thanks!!!!! I will be back for number 2!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

4.Was there a fight over who got to give Nancy Sinatra the Brown Sugar Scrub or did Elvis do it?
5. What did you give this guy to drink? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSSX8cWKvY

T

On 2008-02-13 16:34, Wildsville man wrote:
Great question!!!!

I don't know?, is it still fun to photoshop pictures like this when you're asking for it like that?

On 2008-02-15 15:10, Ojaitimo wrote:

Wildsville Man 2 B ..need more time on this one,thanks!!!!! I will be back for number 2!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

4.Was there a fight over who got to give Nancy Sinatra the Brown Sugar Scrub or did Elvis do it?
5. What did you give this guy to drink? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSSX8cWKvY

Sorry for the wait,
But between HAIL,meeting up with Sven and partying with Soccer Tiki and WOOHOO I haven't had a lot of
brain cells left to think!!!!! But I will give it a try....

Carrot Head,Is a piece of land in Costa Rica that lays out over the Ocean "in the shape of a Carrot Head".
It is know for a great fishing spot for rainbow fish!!!!
What does that have to do with Jimmy Buffett?

From what I hear everyone gave Nancy the Scrub,but back in the day Elvis would also put Peanut Butter
and Bananas on her too......
I would have liked to help with the Facial portion of the work!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

The man in the video had my all powerful B-Rum mOfO
1 1/2 OF BACARDI
1 OZ DANDRUFF SHAMPOO
1 OZ MONKEY TURDS
AND A LOT OF T.L.C.
ALL PINEAPPLE JUICE AND A CHERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me more!!!!! the more I answer the more I own your SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrot Head,Is a piece of land in Costa Rica that lays out over the Ocean "in the shape of a Carrot Head".

Some Parrot Head you are Wildsville!
Maybe theres hope for to mend your B ways yet.
(quote)
Parrothead vs. Carrothead

By Times Wires
Published October 2, 2007

In what looks like a potential heavyweight fight - minus, you know, the heavyweights or any

actual fighting - Jimmy Buffett is reportedly angry at Six Flags because he believes the theme

park chain's 10,000-member Carrothead Club for kids who love Bugs Bunny infringes on the

name of his beloved Parrothead Club.

Park spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg told the New York Post: "I'm not sure how the concept

of children in foam carrot hats is going to be confused with significantly older Hawaiian

shirt-wearing, margarita-swilling Parrotheads. Clearly imitation isn't what we had in mind!"

End quote

On 2008-02-16 11:15, Ojaitimo wrote:

Some Parrot Head you are Wildsville!
Maybe theres hope for to mend your B ways yet.

(quote)
Parrothead vs. Carrothead

By Times Wires
Published October 2, 2007

In what looks like a potential heavyweight fight - minus, you know, the heavyweights or any

actual fighting - Jimmy Buffett is reportedly angry at Six Flags because he believes the theme

park chain's 10,000-member Carrothead Club for kids who love Bugs Bunny infringes on the

name of his beloved Parrothead Club.

Park spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg told the New York Post: "I'm not sure how the concept

of children in foam carrot hats is going to be confused with significantly older Hawaiian

shirt-wearing, margarita-swilling Parrotheads. Clearly imitation isn't what we had in mind!"

End quote

DID THE SPOKEWOMEN FOR CARROT HEADS HAVE TO BE CALLED WENDY? I COULDN'T SET THAT ONE UP ANY BETTER!!! DIG?

http://www.wendys.com/

GOT BEEF?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2008 11:21 AM

Why did Ojaitimo ask a question he lready knew the answer to?

O

On 2008-02-17 11:21, GROG wrote:
Why did Ojaitimo ask a question he lready knew the answer to?

Yeah, Daddio! Why did I ask a question that I lready( I think he meant already) knew the answer to?

On 2008-02-16 09:13, Wildsville man wrote:

From what I hear everyone gave Nancy the Scrub,but back in the day Elvis would also put Peanut Butter
and Bananas on her too......
I would have liked to help with the Facial portion of the work!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

Another week, new questions.
9. Was the Brown Sugar Scrub in mind when she released Sugar Town in 1966?
U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart

Date of first week on chart Highest chart position No. weeks on chart
SUGAR TOWN 1966 #1 2 wks
Highest chart position
No. weeks on chart THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKIN' Jan 1966 #1 14 wks
HOW DOES THAT GRAB YOU, DARLIN'? Apr 1966 #19 8 wks
SUGAR TOWN Jan 1967 #1 2 wks
SOMETHIN' STUPID (with Frank Sinatra) Mar 1967 #1 18 wks
YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE / JACKSON July 1967 11 19 wks

1. Will this fit in the Cellar entrance that is now a supply closet, or do we need to make more room first.

Oh yeah, Is the owner OK with the urban archeology dig? You dig Wildsville?

Great Question!!!!!!!!!!!

The answer is NO!!!!!!Sugar Town is about a night of Passion with Sammy Davis Jr. I also heard ,that is were Sammy lost his eye.....Because Sammy was going DOWNTOWN!!!!! DOWNTOWN was also written about Sammy Davis Jr. and his need to be the CANDYMAN!!!!

A little more history about Sammy is that the original version of Mr.Bowjegals was to be called
Mr. BONEJCALLS!!!!!!!!DIG?

With the Dig for the Cellar.....I have all ready started with a spoon

See ya in the Springs!!!!!!!

CLIVE PEARSE WILL HELP WITH THE DECORATING WHEN WE DIG IT UP!!!

O

10. When did Nancy pose for Playboy?

11. Do these glasses look familiar?

13. Where do the buffalo roam?

First:1995

Second:Yes

Third: I answered before and Bill was only good in one movie!!!!!! Do you know which one?

The best Sinatra work in ten years!!!!!!!!!!

O

On 2008-02-19 18:11, Wildsville man wrote:

Third: I answered before and Bill was only good in one movie!!!!!! Do you know which one?

1995, thats right. Invite Nancy for a reunion.

The Razor's Edge?

H

On 2008-02-19 18:45, Ojaitimo wrote:

On 2008-02-19 18:11, Wildsville man wrote:

1995, thats right. Invite Nancy for a reunion.

The Razor's Edge?

Caddyshack!

Caddyshack is correct!!!!!!!!! One of the greatest movies of all times!!!!
With my all time leading man, Rodney!!!!!!!

I GIVE MUCH RESPECT!!!!!!!!!! DIG?

O

You guys didn't even see the Razor's Edge did you?

H

On 2008-02-20 09:03, Ojaitimo wrote:
You guys didn't even see the Razor's Edge did you?

I saw it. And yes, Bill was very dramatic. However, Caddyshack was more fun, stands up to repeated viewings and is easily Bill's true shining moment.

I haven't seen a monkey shit in my shoe either but I know I wouldn't like it!!!

O

O

Caddy Shack, yes, very funny, stands up to repeated viewing, I get that.
But I'm talking about something deeper here.
The original question asked by Wildsville was "What is Bill Murray's only good movie?"

How many awards did Caddy Shack get?

The Razor's Edge is the first film version of W. Somerset Maugham's 1944 novel. It was released in 1946 and stars Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, John Payne, Anne Baxter, Clifton Webb, Herbert Marshall, Lucile Watson, Frank Latimore and Elsa Lanchester. Marshall plays Somerset Maugham. The film was directed by Edmund Goulding.
20th Century Fox purchased the film rights from Maugham in March 1945 for $50,000 plus 20% of the film's net profits. The contract stipulated that Maugham would receive an additional $50,000 if the film did not start shooting by February 2, 1946. In August 1945, producer Darryl F. Zanuck had the second unit begin shooting in the mountains around Denver, Colorado which were to portray the Himalayas in the film. The stars had not yet been cast, Larry Darrell was played by a stand-in and was filmed in extreme long shot. Zanuck wanted Tyrone Power to star and delayed casting until Power finished his service in the Marines in January 1946.
Zanuck originally hired George Cukor to direct, but creative differences led to Cukor's removal. Maureen O'Hara was Zanuck's original choice for Isabel but Maugham wanted Tierney for Isabel and prevailed. Betty Grable and Judy Garland were originally considered for the role of Sophie before Baxter was cast. Maugham wrote an early draft of the screenplay but it is unknown how much of his version, if any, was used in the final script.

Baxter won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, and Webb as the worldly Uncle Elliott was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. The film was also nominated for Best Art Direction-Interior Decoration, Black-and-White and Best Picture.

Wow,
I thought only BIGBROTIKI had skills. I love all the info you gave us, and all the research you did,but
when it comes down to it!!!!!!!!! CADDYSHACK is the correct answer!! DIG? It's my game and my rules so
now you owe me $100 dollars or your SOUL!!!!!!!!!!

If you were right you could have had all this cool signed stuff!!!!!!! But you were wrong and now I want your soul!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to the guy who got it right,I would not part with my Sven stuff,I just wanted to rub it in his face!!!!!DIG?

O

On 2008-02-20 13:29, Wildsville man wrote:
Wow,
I thought only BIGBROTIKI had skills. I love all the info you gave us, and all the research you did,but
when it comes down to it!!!!!!!!! CADDYSHACK is the correct answer!! DIG? It's my game and my rules so
now you owe me $100 dollars or your SOUL!!!!!!!!!!

If you were right you could have had all this cool signed stuff!!!!!!! But you were wrong and now I want your soul!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to the guy who got it right,I would not part with my Sven stuff,I just wanted to rub it in his face!!!!!DIG?

Wow Wildsville!, is that a Tiki Modern you're rubbing in my face? The same Tiki Modern that has a photograph of my mother Ione on pg 246?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2008 4:10 PM

She's on page 31 as well.

Great question!!!!!!!!!

First: The answer is yes

Second: The answer is I didn't know!!!!!!!!

Third: Rock on,DIG?

On 2008-02-20 16:10, GROG wrote:
She's on page 31 as well.

Don't be looking at my ma like that Grog!

OK Wildsville Man! New questions,

1.Where is this1.B and what is it called1BB?

Pictured here at the Tiki Ti from left to right,
Ickabod (with a guy growing out of his shoulder), Doc Shocker and Rob Roy from the Cult of the Eye.
2. What is the name of the movie where a guy had a face growing out of a shoulder? (Before Grog asks again. "Yes, I do know the answer already"

Great Questions?

First: is in Las Vegas,and is Margaritaville at the flamingo!!! I love playing the ring game when I
had a couple of shot's in me!!!!

NOT THAT KIND OF SHOT!!!!!!!!!!

BUT THIS KIND OF SHOT!!!!!!!!!

SECOND: Comment: That head actual enhances that picture some how!!!!!!!!

But the answer is MANSTER (1962) The movie starts off great and then suck after that.
"LIKE MOST RELATIONSHIPS I HAVE BEEN IN"!!!!!!!! DIG?

O

No Wildsville Man, nice try but that would be wrong. You owe me now!

From The Criterion Collection website.
From The Criterion Collection

How to Get Ahead in Advertising
by Stanley Kauffmann

Our ad-inundated culture has had in it for decades a contrapuntal vein of satire—in fiction, plays, and films—to the point that satire on advertising is now a component of our advertising culture. What has changed, however, in recent years, is the focus of the satire. Originally, it was directed against Madison Avenue. Latterly, it has been aimed at the whole world that contains and accepts Madison Avenue as a life-giving artery. This phenomenon, the acceptance of advertising hype as a given—as probably untrue but who cares?—is the subject of How to Get Ahead in Advertising.
End quote

(quote) Wikipedia
How to Get Ahead in Advertising is a 1989 British film written and directed by Bruce Robinson and starring Richard E. Grant and Rachel Ward. The title is a pun and can be literally taken as "How to Get a Head in Advertising"
The movie is a farce about a mentally unstable advertising executive, Denis Dimbleby Bagley (played by Grant), who suffers a nervous breakdown while working a campaign for pimple cream. Ward plays his long-suffering but sympathetic wife. Richard Wilson plays John Bristol, Bagley's boss.
Bagley has a crisis of conscience about the ethics of advertising. He develops a boil on his right shoulder that he imagines comes to life with a face and voice. The boil takes a ruthless and unscrupulous view of the advertising profession in contrast to Bagley's new-found ethical concerns. Eventually, Bagley decides to have the boil removed in hospital but moments before he is taken into the operating room, the boil quickly grows into a replica of Bagley's head (only with a moustache) and covers Bagley's original head, asking doctors to remove it. Bagley, now with the boil head, returns home to celebrate his wedding anniversary, with the original head merely resembling a boil on his left shoulder. The 'boil' eventually withers and supposedly dies, leaving Bagley to resume his advertising career rejuvenated and cynical, although without his wife, who decides to leave his new cruel persona.
End quote
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=120&eid=126&section=essay&page=1

O

New question! Here are three Hula girls in my collection, (Before you say it,"Yes, I collect dolls"
The topless one is from the thirties, metal forties or fifties and the modern one 2006.
If you have the Hula contest in May, which look will Tiki Caliente be looking for in the Hula dancers?

That's a great question!!!!!!!!

I would like to combine some of those to make the perfect girl.....

First, topless is always a plus in my book.......unless you have more Chin's then a Chinese phone book.
Second, I like her to be waist high like the second one!!!! I only wish she had a flat head,DIG?
Third, The third one is very plastic looking,like most of the girls I've dated in Orange County....

So the answer is!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY GIRL WITH LOW ENOUGH SELFESTEEM TO BE WITH A GUY LIKE ME!!!!!!

Second, I like her to be waist high like the second one!!!! I only wish she had a flat head,DIG?

OK, what's the flat head for? (There may be someone who doesn't know)

to put my drink on of course!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give that joke my seal of approval!!!!!! DIG? get it? SEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies