Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

February Chop - Saturday the 16th!

Pages: 1 34 replies

Somebody had to step up and decide, so I did! :D

Chop at my house again, :wink: next Saturday the 16th. If we're rained out, it will be the following Saturday, Feb 23.

I started a new thread, as the other was gunked up with non-chop discussions. :roll:

If you want to come and don't know where I live, PM me.

Who's in?

T

Me.

T

I'll be there if it dosen't rain, same ole story! lol

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 8:47 PM

I'll be there in my Power Ranger jammies.

B

im in

H

I'm a definite maybe.....

I hope I even remember how to do this.

table for 2 please , pops and i will be attending

T

On 2008-02-09 19:45, Cannibal Sam wrote:
table for 2 please , pops and i will be attending

How's his story board coming along?

M

I will be attending for the first part of the day. See ya all Saturday!

Looks like I'm in for the 16th -- Yeah Yeah Yeah!
I'm sharpening my chisels!

The wife reminded me of plans for our 10 year anniversary, I'm out!

I am SO there. It will be nice to get away from financial discussions, pay stub searches, and tax talk. UGH!! Buying a house is a pain in the ass.

Switch to the other thread to discuss Thomas' theremin......or don't.

If Kate is bringing Diet Coke(coke Zero was sent by god, btw) and Mieko is bringing Musubi, then I'm bringing Rum Cake. I need votes for Chocolate or Yellow Cake.

I miss you guys, man! It's been two months!!!

1 Vote for Yellow!

B

chocolate

B

yellow

B

wait,chocolate
no,yellow
ahhhhhh im so confused

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2008 7:40 PM

Billy Crudilly -

I soooo depends on what kind of icing, if any, it's got on top. True German rum cake is always chocolate. But if you're doing a choco-icing the yellow will wash down easier.

Do you cook it with rum, or do you drizzle the rum on top after its cooked, using the cake like a big rum sponge?

And - rum cake with white icing & toasted coconut on top would be real nice. Spread some little pieces of pineapple through it and you got something.

On 2008-02-13 19:40, Cammo wrote:
Billy Crudilly -

I soooo depends on what kind of icing, if any, it's got on top. True German rum cake is always chocolate. But if you're doing a choco-icing the yellow will wash down easier.

Do you cook it with rum, or do you drizzle the rum on top after its cooked, using the cake like a big rum sponge?

And - rum cake with white icing & toasted coconut on top would be real nice. Spread some little pieces of pineapple through it and you got something.

Cam......you've never had my rum cake? Holy shit, man! This is not German Rum Cake. This "Tortuga Rum Cake"
The cake IS cooked with rum in it, then it's soaked in a rum "glaze" , (my secret sauce) for 30 minutes before it's flipped over and the latest ones have had a glaze over the top that I've perfected in the last month or so. I believe my rum cakes to be just about where they need to be. I've tried the pineapple chunks.....they make big soggy blobs in the cake.
The Chocolate cake has Macadamia nuts on top and the yellow has walnuts.

Sunny and in the mid 60's for tomorrow, not too bad! See you all in the A.M. :D

This time I am not going to forget my cooler. I felt like such a dead-beat last time. I'll bring my usual beer and Pepsi. If I get up early enough I'll pick up some donuts.

See ya tomorrow!

In the words of Buzzy....Cheeky Out!

I'm all set. I got the cookies, the water and the Coke Zero. I even remembered the ice this time.

The chisels are all packed up. I've actually been doing a little carving every day since the last Chop. I may be ready to go out and buy some green stain for the Shag tikis soon.

Same time as usual Bill?

Same time Kate. Or if you're early, that's cool, too.

Cheeky, we have lots of coolers if you want to just bring the goods.

H

Not going to be able to make it tomorrow. :(

Have a good time, and hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.

On 2008-02-15 21:49, HB_Tiki wrote:
Not going to be able to make it tomorrow. :(

Have a good time, and hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.

My brother from Salt lake and I will be there but I didn't have time to bake. Too much going on, too much clutter with the packing and all. See ya'll in the AM. For now, I'm going to play Grand Theft Auto and drain a bottle of Sangiovese.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-02-15 23:17 ]

This month's Chop started out on a slightly somber note as one of Bill's neighbors was having a wake. Imagine mourning the loss of a loved one with Billy the Crud swearing in the background.

Cam actually showed up this month.

But then we lost him in the tall grass.

Boys are silly.

Very silly.

Mieko got some new pieces of wood from Bill and immediately started working on them.

Billy's friend Jeremy really loves his tiki.

I got some carving done and still had time to shop. Here's my first 4WD tiki in his new home.

It was another great Chop. Thanks for hosting again Bill.

H

Uhm, Kate I can certainly see why you liked this tiki!!!

C

That was a LOT of fun.

I did a good swath of carving, Buzzy and Crudnick both showed off some masterpieces of carvosity, and the musubi was the yum. Mieko seems to have run out of Spam and used hot dogs for the rest, and they were greeeaaat.

Billy's explanation of current news events was classic.

And hey - Wheeler's "Flattop" is incredible up close.

[ Edited by: Cammo 2008-02-17 07:39 ]

sorry we missed the chop, i just got back from the dead, i was on call fri night and was called in at 1 am didnt get out until 4 am being in the or with a headcold sucks! i coulnt get up the next day . pops was bumed, but we see you all next chop.

Sam, we all missed you and Pops, and tamales! :P

I had another great time at the chop. You guys are all great to hang with, and get inspired by. I'm up for a chop most weekends, official or unofficial, since that's what I do most weekends anyway!

Good fun, as always.
Thanks to Wheeler for hosting once again and providing a nice pile of exotic woods to pick through.

I managed to carve up the concrete slab that Musubi Mom gave me after I got home lastnight:

thanks MusubiMom!
Thanks to Buzzard for the ride, and everyone else for the food and drinks.

See you all next time, if not before!
Buzzy Out!

B

Thanks for another great Chop, everybody! I actually managed to get some work done. Thanks 4WD for hosting yet again. Your ocean of weeds was fun to swim in!

Nice Moai, Buzzy. Hmmm...that's a good idea. :) I think I'm going to post mine when I'm done.

OK, a couple of new and AMAZING things......

First,Musubi moms concrete medium was a hit(AND her musubi, as usual!). I turned mine into a candle holder and will post pics after I sand it. Below is Buzzys, making me feel like a tard for flogging the Kona style, once agian....

And Bills new contemporary style that he is the first to re-invent........and I fully intend on exploiting it, once I learn to carve a bit better.

GREAT chop, even though I was punchy/tired from operating on 2 hours of sleep. Sorry my mouth was more foul than usual this month!

Thank you once again for hosting, Bill and thank you for the avacado supply. Grace is very thankful as well, as a Latina with avacado in her comida is a happy Latina!. Was good to see you all again.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2008 9:21 AM

Whoa! I can't believe it!

"Sorry my mouth was more foul than usual this month!"

This sounds like an apology!

Eets impossible!

On 2008-02-18 09:21, Cammo wrote:
Whoa! I can't believe it!

"Sorry my mouth was more foul than usual this month!"

This sounds like an apology!

Eets impossible!

Yeah, yeah. I even said things that offended ME!!!

I'm working on a one-eyed tiki, man........today it took a turn for the worse.

Yup, got a lot done. My tiki is almost done. I think I need to speed up my progress, 1 tiki a year is embarrassing.

And I also worked on my concrete slab and made a ashtray out of it. It's not so great, but it was fun making it. I got to hit up Meiko's mom for the 411 on making those slabs. It was fun, as always.

Pages: 1 34 replies