Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Les Baxter - Selections from South Pacific LP

Pages: 1 4 replies

O

After seeing the image on Capitol inner sleeves for years, I FINALLY found a copy of this album.

I was expecting the worst, because no one ever talks about it, and assumed it would be schlock.

I've only done some needle drops so far, but it seems to be a really nice album, along the lines of, say, Ports of Pleasure, Caribbean Moonlight and Space Escapade. Lots of orchestral color and interesting countermelodies.

Does anyone else have this one, and if so, what are your thoughts?

IZ

On 2008-02-09 08:44, OnyaBirri wrote:

I was expecting the worst...

Onya

I was thinking the same thing when I stumbled across this LP a few months ago. Just assumed it would be super massed strings without much else. But I was surprised. I've played one cut on my radio show, and I've been meaning to get back to it and feature a few more tracks. Not out and out exotica, but with enough exotic elements to make it worth owning for sure.

glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

K

I'm kind of with you, in that I would put it in with Caribbean Moonlight..it's ok, nothing to get too excited about. It doesn't get too much spin time on my turntable :)

O

Well, I just finished side 1 and maybe I was overly optimistic.

IMHO, it is NOT on the level of Ports, Caribbean or Space Escapade.

BUT, it certainly has its moments, includes some exotica content, and is overall better than the schmaltzier side of his output.

In short, two dollars well spent!

Listened now to the whole album and it's definitely a keeper. A few sleepy tracks, but overall colorful arrangements with both exotica and jazz content. Not worth getting into a bidding war over this one, but definitely worth grabbing from the new arrivals bin.

Pages: 1 4 replies