Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

i love teak oil!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 201 replies

Nice tiki's and your place is looking tranquil and peaceful. Looks like it's time for a piggy roast.

Damn Buzzard! I'm gonna have to grab Johnny, the real jab, and head out there for a visit. Is it legal to shoot those piggies from the porch?
You run out of logs yet?

Buzzy

B

thanks guys
i dont think i would eat these guys if they taste
anything like they smell

buzzy,would love you guys to come out for a chop,plenty of room to camp,and room for 2 or 3 inside the library,only 7 hrs from sd,so come on down

B

Everything's Lookin great Buzzard, I'm Happy to see you have everything under controlWish I lived a bit closer, I'd be out there in a heartbeat. Can;t wait to see more tikis coming out of the Buzzard Ranch, they're gonna be Real Killer tikis!!

B

thanks benzart,you will always be wellcome at the walking buzzard ranch
if you had never come to san diego to teach these guys some tricks they
could pass on,i would probly just have some pink flamingos in the yard to look at

well heres the tiki indian done

Nice and appropriate for your locale.

How many trick-or-treaters are you expecting at the ranch?

:P

To cool Buzzard! That place is shaping up well. Nice work on the
Indian.

I just got power @ the Tiki Bog this week. Water next! I'm going to do
a driven point well myself I think. My Water table is less than 5' at
the highest point and inches at the lowest.

Keep those carvings coming.

B

hey bill,only trick or treaters that come by are the quail and bunnys
looking for a handout

seeks ,electric- man i,m jealous still a month or 2 befor i get mine

B

happy new yrs all
been working alot in tucson lately and not much time for carving,but i did learn how to cut tile,heres a pic of a compass rose i helped do

my big guy

said he would run away if i did not carve him a bubble pipe,so since i got a new knife for christmas i said ok,it did put a smile on his face

Bitchen pipe, Bob! What kind of wood?

B

hey bill
the wood is mesquite,i have a never ending supply here
it is pretty hard but carvs pretty easy,just hard to get a piece
fatter then your fist

SMOOOKIN!!!! LUV IT !!!! cheerz!!!

Sweeeet. Love the pipe.

Hey Bob!

I heard you went into town recently but you didn't post an update while you were there. Johnny says you're doing ok. Glad to hear the bears, pigs, and coyotes haven't got you yet.

How far are you from Willcox, AZ? Seems my family owns a little land next to the Twin Lakes Golf Course there. I hope to one day gaze upon that tract of land. I wonder if I can see your house from our dirt lot?

Buzzy Out!

That's funny, we are planning a trip to AZ and I was just thinking about Buzzard a couple of days ago

S

Welcome back! Looking dry out there my freind (easy on the tiki torch).

B

well hey guys
did not make it to town last month but i am planning on comming the end of june
for the ob streetfair and staying for the month of july.things are getting better and
better out here,just got a fridge last week,man living out of a cooler for a whole year
was starting to get old

buzzy,i am only about 20 miles from wilcox,so come on out!!!wilcox actually has alot of cool
stuff around it

mad dog and everyone else,the buzzard ranch is always open for visitors!!!!

well since the government is still paying me to be a tiki carver i figured its time
to get to work,got a good connection in tucson for logs now and just picked some up
feels good to carv again

Haha, you can take the boy out of O.B., but you can't take O.B. out of the boy!

So Bob, are you the only tiki carver in your town? :lol:

THE BUZZARD LIVES!!!!!

Good to hear from you :D Hopefully there will be a July Chop for you to attend. I'll bring chili

S

Nice! you are getting it on with this guy. Looking great. Nice size log!
What is that wood?

Good to see my tax dollars put to good work. I think i may have told you.
I have been on the gov money a couple of times.

B

hey boys
mad dog,if you bring your chili i'll make the chop
seeks,its not a mex fan palm,i forget what type,will be picking up some more this weekend,i'll find out again,it is really good wood

and thanks to tc and the buzzy school of carving i am one of the top tiki
carvers in whetstone (but then i think i am the only tiki carver in whetstone)

JT

Looking Good BoB-O!!
Did I hear M.D.M. Chili & OB???? You know I'm all over that!!!! Looking forward to the landing of Buzzad back to SD. And you'll be here in July for OTL, I'm playing in the tournament this year.
See you soon, -Johnny B.

B

Buzzard stuff is Lookin Good. My lono wants a Bubble pipe now,, See what you started?

B

thanks johny,cant wait to visit sd again
benzart.you never know what santa will bring
and maybe you could help me out from when you did your big stuff

so i have been chopping on this guy for awhile,it is my biggest so far
6 1/2 ft, 22 in at at fat end,have been carving it on the ground and wanted to finish it standing up,well i cant even lift the small end up,
with out rigging up a tripod and a sling,is there and easy way to stand this guy up
and get it in my truck,the guy had a loader when he gave it to me and i never had to lift it yet.help me mr wizard

or i guess i could carv big lazy tikis and have them just lay on the ground

B

well hey guys
will be in sd friday and at the ob street fair sat
also would like to do some carving,maybe a chop on the beach?

S

Looking good. Love the large head tapper. The big logs are fun because you have to
manhandle them i think. Have you put any tikis in the ground? or do you leave them
out?

B

hey everyone
just got back from 3 weeks vacation in san diego(being the only government paid az tiki carver has
it perks!!)and had to get back to the problem of getting my big tiki off the ground(its about 500lbs)
so i solicited help from tc and it always comes back to"get a bunch of beer,get 5 people and stand it up"
well gettting the beer is the easy part,5 people is everyone for 2 miles.so as i was siting around thinking,
(drinking margaritas)

i figured out my patent pending(dont tell anyone!)margarita powered tiki lifting devise- model 34xr4445g)!!!!
(now available at better rxalls nationwide)
(margaritas not included)

i had this pile of pavers and 2 2x4s laying around,and the tiki rolls easy
so i put pavers under 1 end ,rolled it to that end added pavers to the other end
it works great,if you can lift 1 paver you can do this,the hardest part was getting the
pavers to the tiki,thats where the margaritas come in

and before you can drink a picture of margaritas its up!!
(i"m the one on the left)

also made alittle head in sd to give to my friend bernardo i stayed with

B

seeks
the only one i have exposed fully is my ist big one

i put it up on pavers and hammered 3 flat form stakes into the ground to support it
its been in the sun almost 2 yrs
i put 3 coats of teak oil on it and it dried like a varnish(which is what i was afraid of)
so now its starting to peel alittle ,but it makes it look old,like having a crack in it
which i was so afraid of at 1st but now i like

i think i might try some of your secret goop on this guy
how long has your guy been out with it and what do you think

Damn, I've used that same method to lift big tikis, but I never thought to get a patent!!! Yours is better anyway. I used cinderblocks, your pavers make it much more adjustable.

So what happened to a chop at your vacation house? I was waiting...

Log too heavy to lift - Check!
Pavers - Check!
2x4 wood - Check!
Margarita - Substitute Rum cocktails - Check!

Now where the hell did I leave my "motivation"? Oh yeah - I keep leaving that under the rum bottle.

Nice work Buzz, both the tiki and the patented lifting device :D

Mike

HAHAHA I love the wacky stories that comes with this crowd. Nice job

S

Where there is a will there is a way. Love it. Sucker looks GREAT!
I have been cheating I have been doing tar coats every year.
From what i have experienced thus far its simple, fast and looks good (the tar mix)
No sanding just get a crapy shirt on and slap it on.
We have different climates for sure, but the tar works for rain and sun.

Looked like something from Easter Island! A land void of trees, but you'll get that damn tiki up!

B

thanks guys

bill
now i suppose you want half of all the money flowing in from the patent pending margarita powered tiki lift!

ok ok - (the checks in the mail)

missed the chop on the beach but how bout a buzzard ranch chop!!!
rum punch and scorpions - the new tiki x game

GENIOUUSSS, the mystery of how stonehenge was built solved :lol:

B

The Buzzard wins again!
Excellent device for the job Buzzard, you get an A+ for todays class. Tiki is Awesome too!

B

well between dodging monsoons ,i finally got the big guy done!
used a mohogony stained oil on this one and really like how the color came out

Nice Job, Looks Good.

Buzzard, can you tell us the brand name of the product? Since you have a gentle climate there, :wink: you can be the Official Proving Grounds for stains and sealers of all kinds!

T

gorgeous paint job!

B

thanks dw

benzart,i knew there had to be an easy way to stand him up,i just had to have enough margos

bill its called cabot australian timber oil,(mohogony flame)they have a few dif colors
and clear, got at lowes.did 2 coats then 1 coat teak oil.if i can remember to do 1 coat teak oil a yr
i think it will keep it looking good out in the sun, i have not seen anything that does
not peel in the sun after a few yrs,so i would rather brush another coat of oil(5 min)
then sand varnish or poly

He reminds me of Elvis, Thank ya.. thank ya ver.. much.

Way to go Buzzman!

S

Whoo hoo right on! Stay dry out there.

A
amate posted on Fri, Aug 13, 2010 3:57 AM

Nice job Buzzard. What type of wood is that? Doesn't look like you have much timber in your part of the country.

B

tg thanks
coconuttzo i see it ,i think i'll put alittle more snarl on the next one
amate it is sable palm,got it from a guy in tucson,was not as hard as a mex fan
but beggers cant be choosey

seeks the rain has brought out the little tiny flies(drives me nuts)
also bought a rowboat for the next big rain

heres elvis taking his place of honor in the buzzards roost

i might not have a real house yet ,but my backyards starting
to look pretty cool

B

Darn Right it's looking pretty Cool back there, Awesome tiki Sir and I love that Cabot stuff.

T

I like the dark finish. Man he looks like he weighs a ton! Hope ya didn't hurt yourself dragging him around. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 201 replies