Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Who Is Better at Introducing Tiki to the Mainstream Tommy Bahama or Target?

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

On 2008-02-19 22:36, Tom Slick wrote:

On 2008-02-19 22:22, christiki295 wrote:
Maybe Trader Joe's is the best to indoctrinate the masses!

I'd like to point out that Disneyland would probably be best suitable for both tiki purists and party crashers. The tiki room has been introducing and influencing tiki to the masses since 1963!

Good Point.
The Brady Bunch episode, too.

On 2008-02-20 07:15, tikiyaki wrote:
The real irony...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-21/qid=1203520411/ref=sr_1_21/601-4284626-9093759?ie=UTF8&index=target&asin=3822847178&rh=k%3Atiki&page=1

Wow!!!
Target and Bigbrotiki converge.
Now the masses can be properly educated.

Most here on TC have long outgrown Target for our own personal collections,

If anyone cares to reread Christiki295s....There are actually two Qs posed. "Introduction to the mainstream" and "who has a better presentation." This seems like two different questions to me.

Introduction 1 b. To present to the public for the first time.
Presentation 6. The process of offering for consideration or display.

CT295, is the question more along the lines of, "When you (anyone) decided to get into tiki where did you go, T or TB?" or "Where did you notice tiki first, T or TB?"

I still have to say that the answer to the subject post is Target. In 25 years of going to target (500-1000 times?) I know I have seen tiki there prior to me stepping one foot into a TB.
As far as the second Q, presentation, still Target. So far everyone seems to have decided that TB is more about "Island Style." That leads me to believe that most consider it "not tiki"

Chris, your quote above shouldn't have anything to do with your posed question. Right? Once outgrown, one is already beyond "introduced." That is where Tommy Bahama comes in I think. After the consumer has become of age, wealth and/or knowledge they stop buying certain things at Target.

Nowadays we have knowledge at our fingertips. However, you cannot just google something that you have never heard of or seen. Odds are greater that one has noticed tiki at Target before Tommy B's.

I hope this sounded sensible, poorly presented & written, but sensible. Or not :blush: :)

On 2008-02-20 07:15, tikiyaki wrote:
The real irony...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-21/qid=1203520411/ref=sr_1_21/601-4284626-9093759?ie=UTF8&index=target&asin=3822847178&rh=k%3Atiki&page=1

i wonder if target censors the boobs, similar to old navy with the BOT mini...

Sheesh, I write slow.

I've never been to either or even heard of one of them.
"Which is more Tiki, Woolworths or Asda?" now there's a quetion that needs answering, Trader Jim?

O

"What we have here, is failure to communicate"

On 2008-02-20 07:55, cheekytiki wrote:
I've never been to either or even heard of one of them.
"Which is more Tiki, Woolworths or Asda?" now there's a quetion that needs answering, Trader Jim?

Wow! Nevermind. I just felt old. We used to get our pets at Woolworth's. Pops would sit at the soda fountain while grandma.... ah, nevermind.

O

In the news today. Florida is having their own war. Remember the the Scope's Monkey trial? I replaced the word Tiki for evolution for this article.

New Fla. standards use word 'evolution'

ALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida's public school science standards for the first time will use the word "evolution," although the biological concept already was being taught under code words such as "change over time."

The new standards, part of a set of overall science changes adopted by the State Board of Education Tuesday on a 4-3 vote, require schools to spend more class time on evolution and teach it in more detail.
The standards state that evolution is "the fundamental concept underlying all of biology and is supported by multiple forms of scientific evidence." That statement rankled opponents, some of whom had urged the board to add an academic freedom provision that would have allowed teachers to "engage students in a critical analysis of that evidence."
Evolution supporters, including mainstream scientists and clergy, told the board the academic freedom proposal was a wedge designed to open the door for injecting religious arguments into science studies.
"We know what's going on here," said board member Roberto "Bobby" Martinez, a Miami lawyer. "What we have here is an effort by people to water down our standards."
Opponents of evolution denied they had a religious motive, arguing that there are flaws in the scientific theory of evolution and that students should be allowed to explore them.
As a compromise, the standards refer to evolution as a scientific theory, explaining that a theory is a well-supported and accepted explanation of nature, not simply a claim.
The vote was the latest in a long line of public debates over evolution dating back to the Scopes Monkey Trial in 1925, when a teacher was convicted of violating Tennessee's evolution ban. That verdict was reversed on technicality, but courts later ruled evolution could be taught.
Courts subsequently barred teaching the biblical account of creation along with evolution. Most recently, a federal judge in Pennsylvania ruled that intelligent design, which holds the universe's order and complexity is so great science alone cannot explain it, also was a religious theory and could not be taught in public schools.
John Sullivan, executive director of the Florida Baptist Convention, objected to calling evolution the only fundamental concept underlying biology. He wrote in an e-mail to Education Commissioner Eric Smith that Baptists firmly believe there's evidence of a "Creator-initiated origin of life" but did not object to teaching evolution. He argued, though, its scientific weaknesses should be taught as well as its strengths.

On 2008-02-20 07:06, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i like pie...

Oh! So do I!

Wow, I've been away from this for only a couple of days, and look where it's gone! I have seen more discussions like this here lately. It seems that the issue is not really the topic at hand at all, which merely serves as a catalyst for what's really on everyone's mind here, and that is the question of authenticity and preservation, and the state of this forum.

Sadly, I feel we are living in an era where everything gets watered down, which makes the work of preservation and documentation all the more important. I am also invested in the struggle against this in Jazz, and in Samurai as well, and what keeps me going is the hope that one day the value of these cultures will be recognized and become valuable and important to some future generation. There is too much at stake to lose them to obscurity.

Oh, and I like pie too!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2008 9:25 AM

Stupid thread. Should 've been ignored from the start.

DIG???! :D

"If it doesn't have a tiki in it, it ain't a tiki bar!"
ETC.,

Ya know, I've been doing my best to not post in this thread. My conscience keeps saying "Don't Do It","Don't Do It", but unfortunately I have no self control. So here I am, posting in the very thread I know I should not be posting in.

Edited to remove unnecessary reference to Anton LaVey

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2008-02-20 10:20 ]

I can't believe I'm posting in a thread like this... So let's start another one !!!

I'm locking this ... temporarily, at least, until I have more time to understand what's going on. Why does this stuff always happen when I'm out of town?! Give me a bit of time everyone, thanks.

And please remember the mission statement:

Tiki Central: Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop.

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies