Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Mai Tiki Bar/Lounge - The Lilo Lounge

Pages: 1 24 replies

I finally got a space to build mai very own Tiki Bar/lounge. It’s an outdoor patio with a concrete floor. The area is 20' long by 13' wide. It’s wired for electricity, on the ceiling and back wall, but no plumbing -- yet!

First things first, I agonized about the name. For some reason, I needed to name the bar first, then the assembly and building would commence.

I finally settled on “The Lilo Lounge”, translation, “The Lost Lounge”. The name came about during the last San Diego Tiki Chop on Feb. 16. Bowanna popped open a Kona Long Board Ale. The bottle caps had Polynesian words translated into English. This particular bottle cap had “Lilo” on it. My original choice was to name the bar/lounge: “The Lost Isle Bar”, so when I saw the cap, I felt like I was struck with a lightening bolt. The second runner up was “The Green Mermaid”. So for now, the name of mai tiki bar is “The Lilo Lounge” featuring a drink I’ve concocted, which will be one of the bar's "signature drinks", The Green Mermaid”.

So, with my blank canvas...mai tiki bar building adventure begins....

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Lilo Lounge come to life. (I was kind of liking the Valley Hai too though.)

The Bal-Boa-Oa (courtesy of Bora Boris) and the Valley Hai are still on my short list.
I reserve the right to change my mind, so I'm staking claim on the Valley Hai!!

Hey for other peeps that are working on their bar/lounge and agonized over a name, here's a list of the names and/or ideas I went through. Hiphipahula - a little bird told me your thinking of names as well, so here is some of my sweat....

San Fernando Valley Ideas: Vali Hai; Valli Hai; Valley Hai (reserved -- hee hee)

Volcano Room, Lounge, Pit or Lanai
Lava Room, Lounge, Pit or Lanai

Tiki or Hawaiian Type Ideas

Tiki Tavern
Tiki Terrace
Happy Tiki
Aloha Room
Polynesian Room
Pineapple Palace
Tropical Grotto
Kapu Point
Bamboo Room
Bamboo Hut
Lapu Lapu Lounge
Grog Grotto
Tahitian Temple
Tahiti Hut
Moai
Easter Isle
Easter Island
Kapu (Forbidden)
Okole Maluna Bar or Lounge
Rum Runner Retreat
Hula Hut
Moai Lounge
Mai Tiki Bar

Ocean/Beach Ideas

South Seas Shelter
Outrigger
Mermaid Lounge
Mermaid Cove

Tiki Gods

Pele’s Playground
Pele’s Paradise
Ku Ku Lounge or Lounge
The Tongaroa
Lono Lounge
Kanaloa Cove
Roa Retreat
Maui Room

Words/Ideas

Lounge
Bar
Room
Hut
Hideaway
Shack
Cove
Lagoon
Cave
Grotto
Paradise
Island
Mysterious

Lilo lounge was a cool "neo" tiki bar in san fran a few years back...it closed a long time ago, but i still have some matchbooks from their if you need a logo for your bar.

On 2008-02-19 14:56, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
Lilo lounge was a cool "neo" tiki bar in san fran a few years back...it closed a long time ago, but i still have some matchbooks from their if you need a logo for your bar.

That would be a fun project for the Chop group. Have someone come up with your bar logo. Mieko could make pendants. Babalu could make your signature mugs...

Yay! Congrats! I have some last foot work to do on permits etc. then we will start cutting a wall down & build a bar too! Looks like fun parties this summer! I too am looking for a name,,,, Kate??? throw more names to me girl, you stopped?

Yeah, that would be cool....pendants, my very own mug, fun, fun, fun....

Hiphipaula -- congrats on the upcoming bar...that's exciting!

Cheeky,?? are you doing the Balboa name??? That was the greatest! I hope you go with that play on words... (I don't want to say it I will leave it up to you to tell all! :)

Almost a year later. I got the back wall of the tiki bar painted. I'm starting to paint the post! The Lilo Lounge, is starting to come to life.

Wow Cheeky, you paint slow. Pix pls. Can you post that pic of you and Sabu and Grog all together, since this is your thread. Classic funny shot.

Just bought some thatch from Island Thatch! Bought some palms and a banana tree and a couple of big pots.
Started carving out some more poles.

Yes, the painting is going incredibly slow -- I think I'm going to buy a paint sprayer, cause I gotta pain the ext. of the house as well.

But, it's time to really focus on the tiki bar!

Pictures to follow!

hurry! hurry!
pix! pix!

Blah, blah, blah...
Pictures? :)

Don't let these guys rush you, good creativity happens when it should.

No rush on the project :wink: That's a huge part of the fun anyway.

Would just love to see and cheer on the work in progress.
Hope you're having fun!

On 2009-04-09 13:06, CheekyGirl wrote:

Pictures to follow!

How about now?...................................now?.................................ok, now?
............................are they following now?.....................what was I saying again?

My bad....Sorry, I'm gonna change my name to "Slow-Poke".
I took yesterday off and finished the tiki post/panels yesterday. All stained and sealed. I got 8 of those bad boys done. I promise I will post the pictures by the end of the week...found the USB cord!

Here's the 1st set of 8 panel/posts for the tiki bar.

Here's the 2nd set of 8 panel/posts. I added tapa patterns to the 2nd set.

A closer view of the 2nd set (top part)

A closer view of the 2nd set (bottom part)

They are all stained, sealed and ready to be added, hopefully, this coming weekend.

I love the way these turned out. Can't wait to see them installed!

I plan on adding these panel/posts to the exterior of the existing patio supports. Each support will have 4 panels, so it fully encloses the supports. Here's a couple of panels I leaned up against one of the supports.

I painted the back wall, it's a orangy-peanut butter color, which you can see in the background. I should have moved some of the stuff I have in the patio.

I added some potted plants, pygmy palm, banana tree and white bird of paradise. Since this picture all the plants have been transplanted into nicer bigger pots.

There's a big bale of thatch I got from Island Thatch which I will add to the exterior. All the posts are painted a dark brown, like the 1st patio support.

Here's the sign I started carving at the Carving Hut at Tiki Oasis 2008.

Stained.

Painted and sealed. I decided to add a little white paint, so the name would stand out. Then I got a little carried away with gold accents. The gold paint had to be wrestled out of my hand before I ruined the sign.

These guys helped wrestle the paint brush out of my hand.

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2009-06-10 18:27 ]

A picture of the tiki panels are installed!

It's kind of hard to see, but I added rope trim between the panels. It's a bad picture, but the lighter color of the rope really makes the dark wood pop.

W

I think the sign looks good as it is, though the gold doesn't show up very well in the photo.

G

The posts look good. You have been working on those for a while.
Congrats on getting them done.

It's nice to see people that are local to me doing the tiki to their homes.

So when is the party/chop?

Pages: 1 24 replies