Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

big lots' tiki stuff is here for 2008!!!!

Pages: 1 34 replies

went to big lots and found a whole new line of tiki items for this season.....

pair of large planters - $8 each..i got 2 of the same...they had another style but i didn't want it.....

bamboo tiki sign -$ 10 and cool hula girls string lights -$ 8

and three colorful tiki planters.....i got one in each color....

..I also picked up some awesome leopard fabric pillows....also for $8 each.

overall it was a good score...they had some other new items but they didn't meet my high standards of low standard cheap tiki stuff........

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-03-04 21:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-04 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-12 21:14 ]

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-03-13 03:50 ]

MN

Come ooonn, where is the picture of the hula monkey? :) ..........Hmmm, maybe it is a bear.

T

Definitely what T.C. isn't about.. you should know better Mr. Tippy !!!!!

On 2008-03-10 06:47, TikiLaLe wrote:

there are plenty of folk here that are into this style of cheap tiki....i am guilty myself, on occasion....it's not for me to judge what people here want and do not want, though i will always offer my opinion of things. I merely post and let others make of it what they will.

...you should try to contibute more yourself, which you rarely, if ever do and stop all this one liner useless commentary from the sidelines all the time.....that type of stuff, we definately don't need around here!!

There sould be a rule that if anyone here on TC buys Big Lots Tiki stuff, etc. ( target' etc.....) they have to alter it in some way, shape or form....

I use to like Big Lots when they sold those cheap Chinese made Disney tikis rip offs but it looks like they have a cease and desist order, but on the bright side since last years major Big Lot shut down I don't feel so bad now.

I was at Big Lots here in NH last week, and they had a few of those Disney style ones.

I buy this stuff, and I DO alter them a lot. THAT's the fun of it for me.

This year I got a TIKI with a solar panel on its head, and the eyes are supposed to glow. I'll be either "fleckstoning" all but the eyes for my Granite Tiki Lounge tie in, or I'll find a nice brown for a wood effect.

If loving Tikis with solar panels on their head is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :wink:

There are a couple of things there that need no altering though. The bamboo signs seem fine to me.

Contribute? Going to Big Lots and spending $52.87....
Keep up the good work !!!!

On 2008-03-10 10:21, TikiLaLe wrote:

well...at least big lot's appreciates it, if no one else does around here!!! LOL

..and in answer to ben's comment above, i have to say ....

"there should be a rule around here against people that want to make asthetic rules for others to follow cause it doesn't meet their criteria for whatever reason".....

....you don't have to buy it if ya don't like it...let people choose for themselves. I myself like to alter alot of this big lots stuff as well....i'm just the messenger, posting something i thought others might want to be aware of in much the same way others have posted about target's new tiki stuff and what not....i really don't care who buys the stuff but i do feel an obligation to share whatever i find with the folks here...unlike someone else here i've had issues with in the past....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-10 11:21 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-10 11:22 ]

J

On 2008-03-10 11:14, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

well...at least big lot's appreciates it, if no one else does around here!!! LOL

I, for one, appreciate it immensely when someone does the legwork for me! I'm happy to see that Big Lots has some stuff that I could use this year (probably with some sort of alteration to most of it), and appreciate seeing what's available before making the trek. I thank you, Tipsy, for contributing in a productive manner to this forum, and agree that those with nothing to contribute ought to just step away from the keyboard.

Tipsy, Mr. LaLe was doing his usual trolling, and you fell for it. I believe most people here can differentiate between Big Lots Tiki and Oceanic Arts Tiki. And you posted it as what it was, and I agree with TikiJen, thank you for showing it. You just allowed yourself to be sucked into the tired old debate of "Who can tell who anything". Nobody is, but like you said, everybody should be able to voice their opinion, and not get people upset because they take it personally.

Simple difference: IF the above stuff would have been posted as "This IS Tiki" as in "This is the essence of Tiki Style" I would have (hopefully) not been the only one that would have had to say a thing or two about that. But it was posted as Big Lots cheapo crap, which is great to make fun off, AND sometimes deserves to be picked up and improved upon, like mentioned above. Can't we all, except for some inexperienced newbies and starry-eyed outsiders, see that simple difference?

I vote for sending Tiki books to China, to get better and more usable bargain Tikis! :)

On 2008-03-10 09:15, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

there are plenty of folk here that are into this style of cheap tiki....i am guilty myself, on occasion....it's not for me to judge what people here want and do not want, though i will always offer my opinion of things. I merely post and let others make of it what they will.

...you should try to contibute more yourself, which you rarely, if ever do and stop all this one liner useless commentary from the sidelines all the time.....that type of stuff, we definately don't need around here!!

Well said Tipsy.

MT

You know, TikiLaLe, I have to agree with what others are saying here. No one is trying to be elitist or exclusionary around here, or a koolkid, because hey, this is just a website. I'm definitely not one to say to say "play nice or don't play at all", and I'm the first to enjoy a good non-pc comment, but dude, the constant one line trolling pot shots are getting a little old. It's obvious that you get the vibe of what others dig around here, but I have to agree with Tipsy about seeing you contribute more than just one line troll remarks. Like some of these gems from your last twenty posts or so:

On 2008-03-10 12:50, TikiLaLe wrote:
And I thought you where marching in the parade today !!

On 2008-03-10 12:28, TikiLaLe wrote:
Fat people put people to work.. you know how many people benefit from a motorized scooter....
So next u venture outside the OC and see a fat person, tell them thanks !!!

And the 'koolkids' say I don't contribute to the T.C. !!!

On 2008-03-07 05:14, TikiLaLe wrote:
75% of smalltimers add to the Mickey's bottom line ....that would be true if we didn't have this this this housing mess !!! Crude must be pimping/pumping out at close to 4 /gal in LA LA Land !!!!

On 2008-03-06 18:52, TikiLaLe wrote:
Seems like your still stuck in that I-4 Traffic !!!

On 2008-03-06 14:32, TikiLaLe wrote:
.................site is a tispy,,,trouble in chi-town !!!

On 2008-03-06 11:01, TikiLaLe wrote:
Such A Deal !!!

On 2008-03-06 10:58, TikiLaLe wrote:
Suck em up Bra !... you got any tiger prints in a 40D

On 2008-03-06 10:55, TikiLaLe wrote:
I'm long food stocks.. Guess you can say 'lard ass Amerikcan's' are my bread and butter !!!!

On 2008-03-03 12:35, TikiLaLe wrote:
I saw that last night on 'Breaking Bad'!!!

On 2008-03-02 10:38, TikiLaLe wrote:
That was the dinner that Frank arraigned for Marilyn to do JFK !!!

On 2008-03-02 10:34, TikiLaLe wrote:
Uh-oh... A Bamboo Ben Warning.... do something with that white ceiling !!!!

On 2008-02-26 17:24, TikiLaLe wrote:
Religious nuts, there great mixed with walnuts....
People who buy into the gated christian community .. well there looking to be safe from 'THOSE' people !!!!
You take a shot at me for saying that but inside you know it's true !!!

On 2008-02-26 12:16, TikiLaLe wrote:
Why 60 clams to get in ???

On 2008-02-23 09:37, TikiLaLe wrote:
Those damn 'whitey's' they ruin everything !!!

On 2008-02-22 10:31, TikiLaLe wrote:
Oh I see... there's rules but you don't see the rules cause the rules is the unknown rules....

Bum's Rush starting 1:30 p.m.
Good Day Now

On 2008-02-22 09:19, TikiLaLe wrote:
in Treatment Tiki Central Monday 9 a.m.

On 2008-02-22 00:05, TikiLaLe wrote:
First sentence is kinda scary.. Maybe sitting in traffic on I-4 too long....

On 2008-02-21 09:00, TikiLaLe wrote:
I guess your one of 'those' Liberals you talk about !!!!

On 2008-02-21 08:37, TikiLaLe wrote:
Maybe ne need 'you' to clean up this place ... Start with Tiki Marketplace... any body not selling 'poly-pop' out they f@cking go.. They you can hit Creating Tiki.. any schmuck with a chiesel that's not conforming out they f&cking go !!!!
etc. etc. etc.

On 2008-02-21 08:29, TikiLaLe wrote:
Liberals against the establishment !!!
Geez Louise !!!!

On 2008-02-21 07:26, TikiLaLe wrote:
B.H. has gone to hell since Merv Griffin died!

On 2008-02-21 05:57, TikiLaLe wrote:
Guess alot of 'US' don't belong here !!!!!

On 2008-02-20 12:21, TikiLaLe wrote:
March issue of Harper's:
Number of South Koreans who work as on-call " replacement drivers" for customers too drunk to drive home : 83,000
Est. number of customers they serve each day : 700,000

Hello Trader Vics.. How's South Korean sound !!!

On 2008-02-20 10:23, TikiLaLe wrote:
Got 'big' money on the WILDSVILLE MAN to provide good tunes ....

On 2008-02-19 06:08, TikiLaLe wrote:
nice ring...chinabambooben.com

RR

The one by my house had the Disney Pele knockoff. But it is much heavier than the plastic ones that were out a couple of years ago. It feels like it is made out of plaster.

Hey Tipsy MC Manic,

All I'm saying is that if you or you's buy THIS STUFF alter it a bit...

Try staining the Blue Tiki with dark brown.

Carve a little tapa on the base of the foam tiki.

Have a little fun with it being it's Soooo Cheap!

No worries man! Relax. Everything is good.

On 2008-03-11 00:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Tipsy MC Manic,

All I'm saying is that if you or you's buy THIS STUFF alter it a bit...

Try staining the Blue Tiki with dark brown.

Carve a little tapa on the base of the foam tiki.

Have a little fun with it being it's Soooo Cheap!

No worries man! Relax. Everything is good.

...you're right ben...sorry for lashing out but tikilale got me all fired up into "attack mode" with his B.S. that i didn't know where or when to stop....

no worries, bro...

Don't worry Tispy if you don't find love here you surely find love in the ailse of your neighborhood Big Lots !!!!

On 2008-03-10 15:59, Mai Tai wrote:
You know, TikiLaLe, I have to agree with what others are saying here. No one is trying to be elitist or exclusionary around here, or a koolkid, because hey, this is just a website. I'm definitely not one to say to say "play nice or don't play at all", and I'm the first to enjoy a good non-pc comment, but dude, the constant one line trolling pot shots are getting a little old. It's obvious that you get the vibe of what others dig around here, but I have to agree with Tipsy about seeing you contribute more than just one line troll remarks. Like some of these gems from your last twenty posts or so:

On 2008-03-10 12:50, TikiLaLe wrote:
And I thought you where marching in the parade today !!

On 2008-03-10 12:28, TikiLaLe wrote:
Fat people put people to work.. you know how many people benefit from a motorized scooter....
So next u venture outside the OC and see a fat person, tell them thanks !!!

And the 'koolkids' say I don't contribute to the T.C. !!!

On 2008-03-07 05:14, TikiLaLe wrote:
75% of smalltimers add to the Mickey's bottom line ....that would be true if we didn't have this this this housing mess !!! Crude must be pimping/pumping out at close to 4 /gal in LA LA Land !!!!

On 2008-03-06 18:52, TikiLaLe wrote:
Seems like your still stuck in that I-4 Traffic !!!

On 2008-03-06 14:32, TikiLaLe wrote:
.................site is a tispy,,,trouble in chi-town !!!

On 2008-03-06 11:01, TikiLaLe wrote:
Such A Deal !!!

On 2008-03-06 10:58, TikiLaLe wrote:
Suck em up Bra !... you got any tiger prints in a 40D

On 2008-03-06 10:55, TikiLaLe wrote:
I'm long food stocks.. Guess you can say 'lard ass Amerikcan's' are my bread and butter !!!!

On 2008-03-03 12:35, TikiLaLe wrote:
I saw that last night on 'Breaking Bad'!!!

On 2008-03-02 10:38, TikiLaLe wrote:
That was the dinner that Frank arraigned for Marilyn to do JFK !!!

On 2008-03-02 10:34, TikiLaLe wrote:
Uh-oh... A Bamboo Ben Warning.... do something with that white ceiling !!!!

On 2008-02-26 17:24, TikiLaLe wrote:
Religious nuts, there great mixed with walnuts....
People who buy into the gated christian community .. well there looking to be safe from 'THOSE' people !!!!
You take a shot at me for saying that but inside you know it's true !!!

On 2008-02-26 12:16, TikiLaLe wrote:
Why 60 clams to get in ???

On 2008-02-23 09:37, TikiLaLe wrote:
Those damn 'whitey's' they ruin everything !!!

On 2008-02-22 10:31, TikiLaLe wrote:
Oh I see... there's rules but you don't see the rules cause the rules is the unknown rules....

Bum's Rush starting 1:30 p.m.
Good Day Now

On 2008-02-22 09:19, TikiLaLe wrote:
in Treatment Tiki Central Monday 9 a.m.

On 2008-02-22 00:05, TikiLaLe wrote:
First sentence is kinda scary.. Maybe sitting in traffic on I-4 too long....

On 2008-02-21 09:00, TikiLaLe wrote:
I guess your one of 'those' Liberals you talk about !!!!

On 2008-02-21 08:37, TikiLaLe wrote:
Maybe ne need 'you' to clean up this place ... Start with Tiki Marketplace... any body not selling 'poly-pop' out they f@cking go.. They you can hit Creating Tiki.. any schmuck with a chiesel that's not conforming out they f&cking go !!!!
etc. etc. etc.

On 2008-02-21 08:29, TikiLaLe wrote:
Liberals against the establishment !!!
Geez Louise !!!!

On 2008-02-21 07:26, TikiLaLe wrote:
B.H. has gone to hell since Merv Griffin died!

On 2008-02-21 05:57, TikiLaLe wrote:
Guess alot of 'US' don't belong here !!!!!

On 2008-02-20 12:21, TikiLaLe wrote:
March issue of Harper's:
Number of South Koreans who work as on-call " replacement drivers" for customers too drunk to drive home : 83,000
Est. number of customers they serve each day : 700,000

Hello Trader Vics.. How's South Korean sound !!!

On 2008-02-20 10:23, TikiLaLe wrote:
Got 'big' money on the WILDSVILLE MAN to provide good tunes ....

On 2008-02-19 06:08, TikiLaLe wrote:
nice ring...chinabambooben.com

Thank-you, I like to thank the Academy, my agent Jose Goldberg, my fans...
Thank-you and Good Night !!!!

S

Agreed. Tikilale, why do you come here? It appears you have nothing but disdain for this place, its members and what we are all about. I can't find anything posted by you that is positive or adds one iota to this forum. There is enough negative around here from all of us just trying to discuss this sub-culture. We don't need people who only come here to be negative. Go over to Owl Central for a while and troll.

...i think tikilale would feel more at home at the latest frathouse forum or some other such nonsense like that.....apparently, no one else wants him (or her)?? either....

C

Hey I for one am happy you posted this stuff. I just went and got one of the pots to put one of my baby pineapple plants into. Looks perfect in my tacky tiki yard!

T

Looks like the 'koolkids' are going throw me to the ground, kick the crap out of me and take my lunch money. And tell me to leave!!!!

On 2008-03-12 02:40, TikiLaLe wrote:
Looks like the 'koolkids' are going throw me to the ground, kick the crap out of me and take my lunch money. And tell me to leave!!!!

What is your major malfunction?

....what if tikilale is really hanford in disguise playing a trick on us?

On 2008-03-12 08:06, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
....what if tikilale is really hanford in disguise playing a trick on us?

Haha. Lale's not articulate enough, but that's pretty funny. I think he's "Jerk" or "Troller" (leaning toward Jerk):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

Back to the topic: living in Tiki-starved NJ, I also appreciated the nature of this post. I ran over to big lots last week with the full intent to customize those brown platers, but someONE (I asked: it was one individual) had already bought out all fun tacky stuff except for the hula monkey (?) and slanty colorful planters (which I didn't care for.) For what it's worth, those were in different colors than the ones you posted earlier. I was hoping to get a tiki bar sign since they seem to walk out on me...Oh well, the chase was fun!

R
Rain posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 9:27 AM

speaking of cheapie-crap-but-fun stuff: another good place to look is joann's fabric/crafts. i got a pretty sweet [and cheap on clearance] suffering bastard-esque plant stand last summer. maybe this year they'll have more...

..i must have missed those last year...right now jo-ann's has all their easter crap out along with st. pat's shit.....in another week or so i expect them to have thieir spring line of tiki out..i will report back when i see it.

..as for target, all the asian stuff is gone and they are breakin out all the lawn furniture....they too will probably have their tiki stuff out in another week or so so stay tuned!!

MT

On 2008-03-12 08:29, Martiki-bird wrote:
Haha. Lale's not articulate enough, but that's pretty funny. I think he's "Jerk" or "Troller" (leaning toward Jerk):
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

He also sounds like "Evil Clown".
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/evilclown.htm
Evil Clown is very quick with a joke, but his jests always have a barb. He has little patience for in-depth discussions and will often disrupt exchanges between serious forum participants by introducing irrelevant topics, fatuous quips, and offhand comments. His greatest thrill is to taunt and humiliate weaker or more plodding Warriors with his snappy ripostes. Not a particularly powerful Warrior, Evil Clown will attempt to avoid defeat by accusing his attacker of having no sense of humor.

N

On 2008-03-12 09:27, Rain wrote:
speaking of cheapie-crap-but-fun stuff: another good place to look is joann's fabric/crafts. i got a pretty sweet [and cheap on clearance] suffering bastard-esque plant stand last summer. maybe this year they'll have more...

We use those as cocktail tables in our tiki bar. Just the right height for the seating. I put some felt pads on the bottom and can slide them around as needed. When we need a bigger table, I whip out a board, lay it across the two of them, and voila, instant coffee table. They're actually pretty snazzy for those purposes.

He also sounds like "Evil Clown".

Evil Clown sound like this:
http://www.clepunk.com/bands/evilclowns/index.htm

On 2008-03-10 12:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
I vote for sending Tiki books to China, to get better and more usable bargain Tikis! :)

Now that there is a darned good idea!!! :D

I like to know what is out there too, and learning what can be done to spiff up the cheap/colorful imitations to try to help those of us that are financially challenged and can't afford the real thing. I am afraid to post any of my ridiculous finds as I am sure to be relegated to village idiot status. :lol:

I too appreciate Tipsy posting it. I live in a tiki starved corner of the country so we take what we can get.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

Heck I'm in the Tiki Mecca of Souther Cal and I love my biglot pots !!

I wouldn't want to destroy a nice hand carved Tiki by growing plants in it !!!!!!!!

Every TIKI has a purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

No offense, but those colorful planters are dire. I got some of the candleholders, though! I didn't see any of the brown planters, maybe they weren't out yet.

Pages: 1 34 replies