Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Get On The Bus! SF Tiki Crawl 2003 Tiki Bus

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

M

Ladies And Gentlemen:

*Do you want to Crawl in style? Comfort?
*Tired of standing on sidewalks waiting on cabs?
*Make sure the party never stops?

Then I present for your consideration:
The 2003 SF Tiki Bar Crawl Tiki Bus

Check it out:
*This full size bus seats 45 people in style. It is a modified tour bus with seats facing each other around tables so you can be sociable.
*10 CD changer to spin all of your favorite exotica.
*Seven TVs and a VCR so images of classic tiki goodness and German urban archaeologists are beamed to all seats.
*The back of the bus has been converted to limo-like bench seating for nine, surrounding...(wait for it)...
*A BAR! That's right- an on-board bar. We supply the liquor of our choice (better that way anyhow) and they provide A REAL LIVE BARTENDER who will be stationed on board the whole trip! At YOUR service!
*Plus...AN ON-BOARD BATHROOM! No fighting through the crowds at the bars! Pee in style! What could be more convienent?!
*We can decorate it up in style.

Now...I hear you say: "Surely all of this luxury an comfort must come at a terrible price!"

Not so, my friends! If you act now, here's the deal: If we get 45 people on board, then it's just $20 per person! For four hours! Imagine: you'd spend almost that much on a bunch of crowded cabs! That's less than the price of two Hurricanes at the Tonga Room! And the party never stops. If we get only 35 people, just $25. And only five bucks per person with a full bus for each additional hour.

I've got it reserved now: It can pick all of us up at the Foggy Grotto (my place). Or we can save some of the time and have it pick us up after Trad'r Sam's. We can sort out the details later. But I have to guage interest. So far, I know of about 15 people interested. C'mon, this will be cool. And it can drop people off all over, including the east bay. (not "the deep east bay" as the limo guy called it- i.e. Pleasanton, Walnut Creek)

Please post to THIS thread IMMEDIATELY with the total number of people in your party interested. Sorry if you've posted before-please do it again. We have to get moving on this.

Thanks everyone- it's gonna be hella good.

Get on the bus!

-martin

Martin, count me and the Mrs. in on this. Let me know when you need green frog skins (cash) Vic

Martin,
For only $20.00 each, I going to go ahead and speak for my group (I hope its cool guys). Please reserve 3 seats for the following:

PolynesianPop
SugarCaddyDaddy
Hula Hula

Let us know what we need to do to get the cash to you - Paypal or otherwise.

Sounds like it will be a blast!!!

HH

sweet, cant wait

Poly-Hula-Daddy are in!

Martin, please count me IN!! I'm thrilled. I am far, far too much of a lightweight to ever drink 'n drive...whew. Thank you!!!

Lisa

No driving -- yaaaaaay!

Sign me up!

T

Martin-

Count me plus two is three. Whoopee!

Dean

M
mig posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 12:10 PM

Sounds good!!! I think Miss Frenchy and I are in. And I can easily rustle up a number of others.

M

All right, people! Let's keep those names a-comin'. I'll post soon about PayPal info. They will stock the bus with non-alcoholic stuff so we keep up with the water intake, and I'm thinking we can set up some premixes (juices and syrups in one bottle; rums in the other) just to make life easier on our on-board bartender. Drink suggestions, anyone?

Plus, I think we'll have to make the bus stop at Post and Taylor so we can all grab a picture with Tiki Bob himself. That ought to snarl up traffic pretty good. heh.

So c'mon...where are the rest of my local peepz? Represent!

-martin

A

Martin, thanks again for looking into this. Sounds like you've added something to the crawl that will be an event unto itself. Naomi and I will reverse our earlier call and join up if we may. It was schedules not $$ that made it tough before, but we'll figure that out!

BTW, I'll post elsewhere with more info, but my impending work trip got rescheduled, so we're on for the Sat afternoon stop in Belmont for those interested!

-Randy

She doesn't know it yet, but count me and Floratina in!

:tiki:

K

Hey,

Thanks for taking care of the bus! I will have at least 6 people in my party, and possibly 8 or 9! I will know the exact number soon.

Thanks again,

David

Whoopsie. Posted to the wrong thread by accident...here's that message again:

Aloha Martin! bump that count a little higher, just talked to mrsmiley and he says count him in too!

He's not sure about Enid yet, but will let you know!

see y'all soon--can't wait!

Lisa

p.s. any more of you SoCal folks planning on a visit? C'mon, join in!!!

Okay, you got me! I'll be there with my finest bus attire (not to be confused with my equally as popular finest bus tires). I won't speak for Johnnie Velour, but I'm pretty sure he'll be joining in, too. Thanks, Martiki.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

M

Woooohooooo...that's 31 by my count so far. Folks, you'd better act fast: this bus is filling up fast.

-martin

What should we drink? Mai Tais!!

Okay, you got me! I'll be there with my finest bus tires (not to be confused with my equally as popular finest bus attire). I won't speak for Weird Uncle Tiki, but I'm pretty sure he'll be joining in, too. Thanks, Martiki.

-Johnnie Velour

If we can get back to the East Bay (El Cerrito) at the end of the night, we're in (Gretchen & I). Would it pick us up, too, or do we need to get to The Foggy Grotto or Trad'r Sam's?

M

Afraid you'll have to get out to our neck of the woodson your own. Just take BART downtown and grab the 38 Geary Bus on Market st. More to follow....

I
isaca posted on Tue, Feb 25, 2003 3:36 PM

OK I'm slow, when is this happening? is it full?

M

It's not full yet, it's March 8th, and all the rest of the information is contained in that big banner at the top of the page. So come on up to SF for the weekend.

-martin

Out of towners without accomodations: Try the Cow Hollow Inn on Lombard. I've heard it's good and reasonably priced.

K

I think we'll definitely have to be drinking on the bus, 'cuz once we get to the bars we'll have a tough time ordering a drink when 30-40 of us belly-up to the bar at the same time! :)

--Slod

M

I went to check out this big fucker today at the limo place and:

1. Bad news: It wasn't there like they promised me. grrr...

2. Good News: It wasn't there because it was getting it's regular service, along with new tires and brakes.

So the good news is we won't be flying out of control down the hills like Michael Douglas in The Streets Of San Francisco.

More to come tomorrow,
Martin

-keep posting! You KNOW you want to be on the bus.

T

ooooh... me plus one! Two !!

Some of you will no doubt be staying at the Cow Hollow Inn as well. It will be fun trying to pick fellow Tiki nuts out of the crowd before we meet, especially if you're wearing one of those colorful hibiscus flower coconut lei palm tree cycad 50's woody beach shirts. We should have a contest for the best shirt and........dress? Do women still wear dresses? I think I need to get out more often.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-02-26 22:55 ]

Aloha!
Add 2 more single wahines! I talked my friend from work into going (gotta convert her to tiki-she's almost there!)

Hey, how does the bar thing work? My friend was telling me that what she has done before on things like this: one or two people buy the 'goods' and divide the expense by how many people are going. So everyone chips in a certain amount, and we have a balanced bar-not 35 bottles of grenadine and 1 bottle of Red Rum. What do you think?

Now if we had 35 bottles of Red Rum and 1 bottle of grenadine, that might not be a bad thing......

:drink:
Tacky Tiki

T

Can I still get on? I have three people in my party, me, Craig and a friend Blair.

I really have to be more on top of TC. You guys talk way too much, I do occasionally have to work, you know.

M

!!!!The Bus is almost full!!!!

This is your cruise director Julie McCoy here: Thanks everyone for the big response. This bad boy is going to climb the hills in style. Here's the list so far:

Martin (martiki6)
Rebecca
Vic (jungletrader) +1
Adrian (PolyPop)
SugarCaddyDaddy
HulaHula
Lisa (tikivixen)
Cindy (cynfulcynner)
Dean (thejab) +2
Mig (Mig)
Cathey (Miss Frenchy)
Randy (aquarj)
Naomi (chihuahuaplanet)
Puppy (Traderpup)
David (Kingslod) +8
Bruce (Mr. Smiley)
Enid (Mrs. Smiley)
Weirduncletiki
Tina (floratina)
Johnnie Velour
Rich (tiki-bot) +1
Isaca
TikiMel +1
Tacky Tiki +1
Heather (TikiMama) +2

That's 41 by my count- only four spots left. Now- here's the thing: I'm going to private message everyone on the above list with my email address for PayPal. I want to make sure everyone who expressed interest early gets a chance to pay first. (let me know right away if it doesn't work- I haven't used it before to accept money). Remember to give me the following information in the notes field on the PayPal window:

1. The full real names of everyone in your party (including yourself!)
  2. Where you are staying that night. We can't drop everyone off at home, but I want to get an idea about where people are going back to, and we'll try our best.

Those of you with more than one person in your party will have to pay in advance for everyone you are bringing. I really, really, really want to pay for everything in advance so I don't have to fuss with it on that night. I know that means a big outlay for some of you, like Slod, but you know your friends/co-workers/mistresses best and can collect for them yourselves. Or give them my email address and tell them to reference who they are with in in the PayPal field.

Since the turn out is looking good, I can keep it at $20 per person. Unless you make prior arrangements with me and/or can't use PayPal, any remaining seats will be sold on the night of the crawl on a first come, first serve basis for $25 at Trad'r Sam's.

On Sunday night the 2nd, I will post the email for everyone to see and open the reservations to the public. So those of you who have signed up need to pay straight away to insure your seat. Once someone pays, they've got a seat. If Osama pays me $20, he's going on the bus. So hurry up and pay before Osama.

We can discuss drink/decor/in-flight entertainment ideas soon.

Thanks again everyone!

-martin

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-03-03 11:34 ]

M

Oh- and of course I will hold a seat open for Hanford. I guess I can bump Osama for Hanford. Are you coming, big man?

-martin

M

martin--add Mrs. Smiley too---bruce

M

Bruce- I don't have an email/TC account for Enid, so if you can just pay for her on PayPal as well that would be super Kosher.

-martin

Martin-
I meant to reply by now, sorry for the delay.
I am coming, but have to pass on the bus.
Money is funny right now.
see y'all there!
Jon

K

Bad news for me, but good news for someone who wants to get on the bus.

My party has been drastically reduced due to lack of babysitters in San Francisco! So, it's probably just me plus 3. Or, in casual speak: 4.

I'll get on the PayPal today. I promise.

Thanks again,

Slod

K

Bad news for me, but good news for someone who wants to get on the bus.

My party has been drastically reduced due to lack of babysitters in San Francisco! So, it's probably just me plus 3. Or, in casual speak: 4.

I'll get on the PayPal today. I promise.

Thanks again,

Slod (David)

M

Thanks for the update Sloddo.

Everyone- The bus is filling fast. Those of you to whom I sent Private Messages to need to post your $20 to PayPal ASAP. I'll be posting the PayPal email address for everyone tonight. At this point, there are more people interested than we have space for. So from here on out, PayPal is the only way to secure your seat on the bus. We have 29 people paid in full so far. They are:

1. Martin (martiki6)
  2. Rebecca
  3. jungletrader
  4. Mrs. JungleTrader
  5. Tacky Tiki
  6. Kathy
  7. Polynesian Pop
  8. TraderPup
  9. Sugar Caddy Daddy
  10. HulaHula
  11. floratina
  12. aquarj
  13. ChihuahuaPlanet
  14. Tiki Mama
  15. Melintur
  16. Blair
  17. Weird Uncle Tiki
  18. Tiki-Bot
  19. Gretchen
  20. The Jab
  21. Robin
  22. Jeff
  23. KingSlod
  24. Slod 2
  25. Slod 3
  26. Slod 4
  27. TikiVixen
  28. johnnievelour
  29. sweetpea

(When possible, names have been removed to protect the innocent.)

C'mon and get on the bus!

Thanks everyone!

Plus: we also need some suggestions for the name of our bus. I can't just call it the bus all night. Give me ideas, you creative bastards!

-martin

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-03-03 15:51 ]

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-03-03 16:05 ]

T

I just put up $40 for me and the (future) missus. I hope there's still room! I don't usually check TC over the weekend.

BTW, forgot to say in the PP note that we need to get back to El Cerrito at the end of the night, or at least close to there.

Rich

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-03-03 14:40 ]

T

Martin -

I didn't get a pm with the paypal info. can you just email me so I can save my seats???

thanks!

T

Aloha Martin--I just did my 20$ via Paypal, and thanks very, very much!! See ya Friday...

Lisa

M

On 2003-03-03 14:48, TikiMel wrote:
Martin -

I didn't get a pm with the paypal info. can you just email me so I can save my seats???

thanks!

Sorry about that: Check your email and thanks....

M

Check it out! We're up to 29 paid! (See previous post) Better get that cash in quick. Even though I took the names off the post, please be sure to still include them in the PayPal screen. (Kingslod, email me with the rest of your party)

More soon!

-martin

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-03-03 16:06 ]

M

"Plus: we also need some suggestions for the name of our bus. I can't just call it the bus all night. Give me ideas, you creative bastards! "

Disorient Express
The Tiki Mover, brought to you through
a generous grant from Monsanto.
Sufferin' Bustard (my personal fave)
Mai-Tai Unlimited
B.A.C. 0.18
Tiki Central Line
S.S. Minnow

midnite

T

I suppose "Tikibus" is too boringly generic? Otherwise, we could name it after someone--Vic or Don, etc. Then again, maybe "DUI" (Dewey) is a more appropriate name, since that is really its function.

Ok, I did a Google search for "tiki bus" (no, I'm not very original, what's your point exactly?) and I found this site! Apparently, there is also a (now retired) tiki bus that goes to Burning Man.

H

Martiki - I've just sent you an email -- if a spot opens up, I'd love to be on the bus!

F

Hey Tiki Mama and Midnite, I love those name suggestions. For some reason, I am favoring SS Minnow. I can see Martin addressing the lot of us when it is time to go to the next stop: "Tiki Central, the Minnow is boarding!"

M

Ok, we're up to 34 paid. That's most of the people that reserved in the beginning. I still haven't heard from :

cynfulcynner
Miss Frenchy
Isaca
TikiMel

Hurry up, peeps!

So now I'm posting my PayPal email account to any TC members who want to get on the bus: [email protected]

(OK, so it wasn't really a secret email address)

Remember to include your tikicentral name, your full real name, and where you are going at the end of the night. ("You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.")
$20 per person.

See everyone soon-

-martin

T

I like the SS Minnow, too. It has a sense of wacky doom that I think is apropos for the event (considering how I felt after last year (not to mention how Hanford must have felt in the morning)).

The big question is, who knows how to make a bamboo radio?

o(..)o
Tiki Mama (heather)

[ Edited by: TikiMama on 2003-03-04 09:49 ]

S

Hey Tiki Mama,
That bus is in my town, see it all the time, and occasionally the owners come to the restaurant I work at to git some vittles! It's a pretty nifty bus!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies