Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Get On The Bus! SF Tiki Crawl 2003 Tiki Bus

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

K

Are we catching the bus at Trad'r Sam's or at some other more easily accessed (downtown?) locale and then on to Trade'r Sam's?

And, if anyone knows, what time is everyone meeting at said bar?

I'm all paid up!

(sorry about the delay -- I've been sick and offline the last couple of days.)

--cindy

Hey - if I'm the Miss Frenchy you're referring to, I think I'll have to give the bus a miss - I'll either be sucked along in Mig's wake (or I'll be a designated tiki hauler in the amazing Frenchy oldsmobile).

By the way... "get on the bus" was a 60s slang phrase that the Banana Splits used a lot. Was it exclusive to the Banana Splits or was it common in other parts too?

M

I've been using it in my posts in reference to Spike Lee's 1996 film "Get On The Bus" about the Million Man march.

Not very tiki. But a good film.

-martin

This is the being formerly known as Blair, friend of Melintur and Tikimama

Just saying hi, I will be on the bus. I'm eagerly anticipating a grand night(s) out!

M

Exxxxxcelent, Blair. I see the conversion is going well.

OK- 37 paid on the bus. Again, any spots I don't sell with PayPal before Saturday night will be for sale at Trad'r Sam's for $25.

Remember to come by the Foggy Grotto for a pre-party drink from 5 to 6:15. Located just down the street from Sam's:

447 Seventh Ave #2
between Geary and Anza
415-387-0145

We'll all leave at 6:15 as a terrifying tiki mob storming down Geary to Sam's.

-martin

TT

Aloha!

What has been decided about stocking the bar on the Minnow? Or did we decide to skip that because we won't be on the buss very long?

I'm burning a copy of Exotica I & II (Martin Denny, of course!) for airplay on the Minnow. See ya all tomorrow night at TV's!

:drink:

Tacky

This tripple stop trip is destined to make a
memorable event for all the tikiphiles in here.
I wish lounge could go too,but there aren't any busses for single bachelors..
-Maybe next year, Lounge

TT

Nobody said this was a couples event!!! Get your tiki-butt up here to SF! Pronto!

:drink: :drink:

2 Mai Tais for you!

Tacky

M

Oh, and the bus will start at Sam's at 8:00pm

Thanks for reminding me TT:

There are a few things that are needed for the bus:

1. Drinks: I'd like to see some cocktails on the bus. Rumors of a bar on the bus are somewhat exaggerated. It's more like an airplane drink service cart that rolls down the aisle. So drinks should be pre-mixed (at least mixers/juice/syrup in one and rum in the other) so it's simple. And everything should probably be put into shatterproof plastic, like a 2 liter bottle. They will provide some sodas. I'll bring a little something, but not enough for everyone probably. See what you guys can come up with and be creative.

2. Food- I think some dry starchy acid-soaking snack items would be a good idea, since we're getting such an early start. Please grab a thing or two.

3. Decorations- I'd like to see the bus done up properly, so if anyone wants to bring decorations (of the disposable, non-valuable luau-party type variety) please feel free. The more the better.

thanks everyone,

Martin

T

Yah, Lounge, are you KIDDING?

I'm a swinging bachelorette, and wild carnivorous tikis wouldn't keep me off the bus!! C'mon--there are still spaces available!!!

You WERE kidding, right??

I'll even buy you a drink.

T
thejab posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2003 3:19 PM

Martin-

3 quick questions:

1. How do we get from BART to your house? Muni?

2. Will it be easy to finagle a ride from the Foggy Grotto to Sam's for 3 people? Or should we plan pn getting a taxi?

3. What's the detail on getting a ride back to the East Bay on the Suffering BUSturd? What time do we have to board it at Bamboo Hut to get back?

T

I used the Transit Trip Planner here and planned by trip to Martin's tomorrow sans car:

http://www.transitinfo.org/cgi-bin/taketransit

I'll be bringing 4 quarts of rum punch from a recipe in "Intoxica" by Beachbum Berry. Bring tiki mugs to drink from if you wish. I'll bring ice, paper cups and straws.

H

I'm going to be just kicking around SF during the day on Saturday -- if anyone else is also just kicking around during the day waiting for the festivities to begin, feel free to gimme a holler on my cell: (206) 349-1362, anytime after noon or so.

M

Sorry for the late reply. My DSL at home could not have picked a better time to crash and burn.

On 2003-03-06 15:19, thejab wrote:
Martin-

3 quick questions:

1. How do we get from BART to your house? Muni?

Sounds like you figured it out, but for everyone else, it's real easy: We're on the 38 Geary line. It starts on Market St, and turns right on Geary and heads west. Get off at the Sixth Ave/Kaiser French Campus bus stop. We're at 447 Seventh ave #2 between Geary and Anza. When you get on the bus, get a transfer from the driver for later. (see next answer)

1. Will it be easy to finagle a ride from the Foggy Grotto to Sam's for 3 people? Or should we plan pn getting a taxi?

We can walk (19 blocks) if it isn't too chilly (It might be an amusingly scary sight.) Or we can pile onto the 38 geary (free with your transfer!), which will also be amusing, or you can get a cab which won't cost much.

1. What's the detail on getting a ride back to the East Bay on the Suffering BUSturd? What time do we have to board it at Bamboo Hut to get back?

We'll have to board about 11 or 11:15 to get over to the east bay. We may want to talk about getting another hour, and we'll do that at the first stop. It would be $5 per person with a full bus.

Regarding the east bay: I should have emailed everyone sooner, but I'm hoping that everyone in the east bay can park in a central place so that the bus can make one stop. I was thinking that the Powell Street Plaza in Emeryville will be central and close to the Bay Bridge. It may require getting sober a little sooner than planned. Please let me know if this a problem for people.

See everyone very soon!

-martin

M

On 2003-03-07 11:33, thejab wrote:
I used the Transit Trip Planner here and planned by trip to Martin's tomorrow sans car:

http://www.transitinfo.org/cgi-bin/taketransit

I'll be bringing 4 quarts of rum punch from a recipe in "Intoxica" by Beachbum Berry. Bring tiki mugs to drink from if you wish. I'll bring ice, paper cups and straws.

Thanks for the drinks Jab. They will have a cooler with ice, soft drinks, and I told them lots of water. We have to bring our own cups and straws, which I will get. We'll probably have enough ice, Jab, so no worries. And I'll make a punch as well.

Thanks again,

-martin

T
thejab posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2003 3:59 PM

With all this punch I'll be able to get on the bus but I might not be able to get off the bus!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies